Start by marking “Bleeding Hearts (China Bayles Series #14)” as Want to Read:
Bleeding Hearts (China Bayles Series #14)

Bleeding Hearts (China Bayles #14)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,484 ratings  ·  73 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
In this China Bayles novel (Dead Man's Bones, A Dilly of a Death, et al.), the hardworking herbalist and former criminal defense attorney is faced with her most intriguing -- and disturbing -- case to date, as she struggles to unravel the mysterious circumstances surrounding the murder of a beloved high school football coach and the alleged sui
MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published May 14th 2009 by Recorded Books, LLC (first published April 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bleeding Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bleeding Hearts

Alannah Davis
I started this book yesterday and stayed up through the night to finish it, it is THAT good.

I've been a fan of the China Bayles series since it started, although I missed a good block of them through a period of my life when I wasn't doing much reading. So now I am reading all the ones I missed, in order. Next to "Thyme of Death" and "Bloodroot," "Bleeding Hearts" is up there with my favorites of the series.

Pecan Springs' winning high school coach is widely heralded and much beloved (it's Texas
Ellen Urness
I really liked Bleeding Hearts. I saw close parallels to the Diane Mott Davidson books about Goldie and her catering business and the recipes in her books also. Of the two authors, I can not choose which one I like more. I will read all the books of the China Bayles series.China has a good head on her shoulders. She is a retired lawyer, She is a good business woman, a step-mom with common sense and a steadfast 2nd wife all of which would be a hearty challenge to most. In this installment, the mu ...more
Heather Adkins
I just couldn't love China Bayles anymore than I already do. She's so human, and Pecan Springs so real, that it's hard to remember the entire thing is a product of Albert's wonderfully vivid imagination. One thing reinforced by reading this 14th book in the series, I love how Albert doesn't conform her mysteries to the "normal" theme. Dead body, unwilling/unwitting heroine sucked in, finds answers, threatened by killer, solves case, the end. Albert branches out in intense ways. There are many tw ...more
Carolyn Crawford
Although I love China Bayles... this one book really didn't capture my interest. The topic was a very important one to cover.... and the name captures it all, I just felt that China had absolutely no problems figuring out the murder, who, what and why. And she did this without the help of anyone.

Basically the school principal asks China if she could check out some information she received about their high school coach... and well off the story went.

You could put the pieces together very easily,
Kristen
For any China Bayles fan, you'll love this latest herbal mystery in the setting of Texas from this newest one of SWA. Good tidbits on the flower for any gardener or herbalist. A must read.
Helen
The series is definitely "cozy" but I found myself taking this volume much more seriously than usual. It may be because it was about teachers (in this case a football coach) taking advantage of girls in their mid teens. Here in Canada very few public high schools have football teams and there isn't the intense feeling about the game that there appears to be south of our border. What is most disturbing is the lack of belief on the part of the school, the first girl's priest ("It is your sinful im ...more
Teesa
Matters of the heart. Interesting storyline and a surprise...or two. I love the way the author interweaves a theme among the characters and the accent with herbal interest. There's a lot for me here as well...herbs that will help heal my heart:

Hawthorn to strengthen the heart muscle, reduce cholesterol and triglycerides, lower high blood pressure.
Ginger for cholesterol and high blood pressure as well as plaque buildup.
Ginkgo for increased blood flow, reduce clotting.
Alfalfa for arterial plaque,
Jennifer Gelert
Another good book. Written in the first person, China Bayles shares her life in Pecan Springs. Owner of a tea room and an herb shop, wife, step mother and ex lawyer, she manages to find herself in the middle of some kind of crime. This book is no different. After agreeing to help the local principal check up on a phone call accusing the local high school coach, China finds herself embroiled in lies. murder, theft and more.

A great perk to the book? Awesome recipes in the back for foods mentioned
Ann
China Bayles is asked to look into allegations that Coach Duffy, the popular football coach, has a record in inappropriate conduct with young girls. She finds that a young girl who had reported Coach Duffy had committed suicide. When the coach is murdered China does her thing and finds the answers quickly. This was a good book even though the murderer is very evident from the first. I like this series
Sallee
China Bayles uncovers possible child molestation by a well loved football coach when her stepson and his girlfriend are secretive about a problem at school. A school official goes to her about an anonymous call she recieved and asks China to look into it. She starts discovering more and more information and eventually finds out how her stepson and his girlfriend have been involved as things progress. As this situation happens all too many times in real life, this book touches on how in many case ...more
Kristi
Be forewarned that once you read this book, you'll likely also want to read the two that follow. Albert introduced a subplot in this book that doesn't really get resolved until book 16. There isn't a strong cliffhanger, but it was compelling enough for me to break my rule of reading series books back to back. And if I hadn't had to order book 16 I would have read all three without pause.

While I prefer to read at least one or two different authors in between series books, I actually did appreciat
Cindy
China Bayles is working on her busy little herb store when a friends asks her to use her sleuthing skills and investigate some allegations against the high school's new football coach. Meanwhile, her mother hands her a bombshell in the form of some old letters belonging to her dad. China's personal life is about to get more complicated.

I wasn't exactly surprised by the twists in this one, but I like the characters and the setting well enough to enjoy it despite it being a little too predictable.
Nancy
Another visit to the fictional Pecan Springs in the Hill Country of Texas. China and her friends contend with the outward bravado and celebrity of the high school football coach and his dark actions when the glory of a winning football team makes a person above suspicion. Albert crafts an engaging story that keeps the reader moving along, while also introducing a storyline that will be carried forward in a subsequent book. Albert knows how to structure a plot and pull the storyline threads toget ...more
Betty
I have read this book several times. I feel it is must read for everyone concern about teenagers problems.
China is asked by a teacher to look into a story she heard about their high school ball coach having sex with one his students. The coach is very popular as the team is winning. China must be very careful. She starts investigating and finds it might be true. Ruby is having a quilt show and a quilt disappears.
Brian has problems and tries to handle them. China's Mother asks her to pick up her
Nora Peevy
Love me some China Bayles mysteries! Susan Wittig Albert hit another homerun with Bleeding Hearts. China Bayles, the retired lawyer turned herbal shop owner, sets off sleuthing to solve the mystery of a young girl's suicide. If you haven't read a China Bayle's mystery, you should try one. I particularly enjoy the herbal lore included at the beginning of each chapter and the recipes included at the end of the book. I haven't tried any of them, but they are being photocopied shortly. This is a rec ...more
Megan Bodwell
A good read, as always, however, I can't shake the feeling that Albert avoids trying to tie up her loose ends by taking the "life isn't pretty" route. True to real life, yes, but not to lovers of fiction.
Michelle
This is the 14th book in the China Bayles series. China is asked to look into suspicions of misconduct by a famed high school football coach after an anonymous complaint is given to the school. Her investigation leads to a girl who committed suicide at the coach's previous school. As China unravels the mystery, her son and his friend become involved with the story in ways China did not forsee. The book deals with the difficult subject of child molestation and handles it with a delicate but firm ...more
Lisa Buie-Collard
The author's use of recipes and herbs made this an interesting read above and beyond the story itself, plus, I have a fondness for writers living in Texas! I called Texas my home for eighteen years and loved it. She writes about a sore subject (especially for right now, the news from Penn State) for any of us but does it with tact and empathy. I liked her pacing and visuals. Living in a small "football" crazy town as I do, I could really relate to this setting. I would recommend this book. Bleed ...more
Michele
I love the China Bayles series, mostly because the author does such an excellent job of developing China's character. She's not a flat, one-dimensional accidental sleuth as is the case with some mysteries. The way she's learned to change her view of her parents and their lives, the idea of getting married, the feelings she's developed for Brian--all these aspect of her personality make her tremendously appealing to pursue in a series of books. It does seem a little unlikely she wouldn't be curio ...more
Marci
I saved this book in this series until I had time to read it with the two that follow and that form a trilogy, so although these three books came out 4, 5, and 6 years ago, I have just finished them and can now resume the regular chronology of the series.

I thought this first one was very well done--the mystery of this particular book was psychologically linked to the over-arching mystery of the trilogy in a satisfyingly aching way.

I really like that China Bayles has grown so much through this s
Katie Hilton
A good mystery with focus on high school teacher-student sex abuse, a problem that seems to be growing in America.
Kimberly
Book 14 in the China Bayles herb shop mysteries. China finds herself investigating a supposed suicide that is linked to the beloved high school football coach, Tim Duffy. The subject is definitely something to look into since the coach is being accused of sexually abusing his students. She is also trying to locate a missing quilt, and deciding exactly how she should deal with a new step-brother. China is determined to put the pieces of the puzzle together and gets help from Chief Sheila and Ruby ...more
Marilyn
Started off slow, but then kept me reading.
Deb
Susan Wittig Albert has kept me glued to a book again. I really enjoy spending time with China Bayles and her family/friends. This installment turns a bit serious as China investigates allegations that the high school's football coach has molested female students. She also discovers a disturbing secret that changes what she knows about her family. "Smart Cookie" also reveals some information about Ruby's boyfriend that potentially threatens Ruby's happiness. This was a good one!
Lynn
About 75 pages from the end I worried that this story line was too predictable, but fear not...there were sufficient twists and turns at the very end to make me vey happy! Being the first China Bayles mystery I've read, I am very impressed and of course, can't wait to read the rest of them! I love Albert's writing style: direct, informative, and enough detailed characterization to make me feel as if I know these people!

Theresa Sivelle
Well, I have to say that I wasn't surprised by who did what. I pretty much had them figured out before the end of the book. I was surprised when the book still went on for two more CD's though. I and enjoyed the additional story. I added to it. I am going to have to figure out the order of these and start from the beginning though. Again, great stories to listen to while driving around.
Tevilla
Michele
This book was just as good as others in the series. A new character and an old mystery regarding a character from the main character's past (who has never been introduced, as he has been dead since the series started) was brilliantly introduced without taking the series in a ridiculous direction. Can't wait for the next book to see what happens.
Mary Barleycorn
Another author that I try to read everything she has written.
Kathie
Interesting story. I did guess the main mystery way early but think that was her intention of giving us the clues right away and then telling the story. And of course it leads into another mystery which I am going to start today and there is still the one about Ruby that we don't know how it will end.
  • Blood Orange Brewing (A Tea Shop Mystery, #7)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #11)
  • Broken Dishes (Benni Harper, #11)
  • The Body in the Ivy (Faith Fairchild, #16)
  • The Cornbread Killer (Heaven Lee, #5)
  • Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)
  • Death at Epsom Downs (Kathryn Ardleigh, #7)
  • Dark Tort (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #13)
20828
Susan is the author/co-author of biographical/historical fiction, mysteries, and nonfiction.

A WILDER ROSE: the true story of Rose Wilder Lane, who transformed her mother from a farm wife and occasional writer to a literary icon

DEATH COME QUICKLY,#22 in the China Bayles series

THE DARLING DAHLIAS AND THE SILVER DOLLAR BUSH, #5 in the Darling Dahlias series, set in the early 1930s in fictional Darlin
More about Susan Wittig Albert...
Thyme of Death (China Bayles, #1) Hangman's Root (China Bayles, #3) Chile Death (China Bayles, #7) Witches' Bane (China Bayles, #2) The Tale of Hill Top Farm (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #1)