Start by marking “Hannah Arendt: For Love of the World” as Want to Read:
Hannah Arendt: For Love of the World

Hannah Arendt: For Love of the World

This highly acclaimed, prize-winning biography of one of the foremost political philosophers of the twentieth century is here reissued in a trade paperback edition for a new generation of readers. In a new preface the author offers an account of writings by and about Arendt that have appeared since the book’s 1982 publication, providing a reassessment of her subject’s life ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 620 pages
Published October 11th 2004 by Yale University Press (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Hannah Arendt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hannah Arendt

Margaret
Oct 19, 2007 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An in-depth biography of one of the world's foremost political theorists. Covers both her life and her work. A bit dense, but interesting and inspirational.
Caroline
Nov 08, 2012 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She explores Arendts thinking with dignity and care. She puts lots of effort in understanding Arendts political reflections and ethics.
Riley Haas
Dec 15, 2016 Riley Haas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Hannah Arendt is my favourite philosopher. If I am anything, I am an Arendtian (with qualifications).
This is an illuminating portrait as it is nice to know where her ideas came from. When I first encountered her, not knowing Heidegger or Jaspers, she seemed to come out of the ether. It helps explain their influence (and the influence of some other contemporaries, as well as the important influences of Augustine and Kant) and it puts her very difficult thought in context.
I love Arendt because
Stuart
Oct 08, 2009 Stuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, philosophy
Though she chose philosophy, her early poems are quite good. It's interesting that Arendt was a student of the 2 greatest German philosophers of that time, Karl Jaspers and Martin Heidegger and participated in discussions that helped form their most influential work. I hadn't realized the French put foreigners in internment camps even before the Nazi's took over. Arendt was as she said the kind that "are put into concentration camps by their foes and into internment camps by their friends". Aren ...more
Pascal Christeller
I had so much fun reading about this book, and learning about "who" Hannah Arendt was rather than "what" she was. I admire her the more I read about her, and I am pretty bias to be doing a review about her.
With regards to the author, she did a great job of connecting the ideas and the person together and weaving a narrative. Written in 1980, there have been some documents published since this book was written concerning the relationship with Heidegger, so it's dated in that sense. Besides that t
Zhongwei Chen
Sep 01, 2013 Zhongwei Chen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's such a pity that Young Bruehl passed away in 2011 at her 65! AS a psychotherapist and one of few phd students under Hannah Arendt's tutoring, she may have more ideas on the relations between Hannah and Israel which was not fully answered in For Love of the world, Hannah's biography by her. It's no doubt that Israelophobia misinterpret Hannah's idea for their sake. I suspect that the survivor's guilt and the special understanding and reflection on nationalism as a secularized Jew led to her ...more
Mark Valentine
Feb 14, 2016 Mark Valentine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading about Arendt's life with profound respect and admiration. Young-Bruehl has published the definitive biography and it's length reflects the enormous energy and spirit that Arendt had in writing and teaching, in thinking and acting.

When asked by Hans Morganthau if she [Arendt] was conservative or liberal, she replied that she was neither--didn't want to sit on a stool, "I am a radical."

I've gained more enthusiasm to continue reading her works.
Rj
Apr 06, 2014 Rj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All sorrows can be borne if you put them into a story or tell a story about them.
Hannah Arendt quoting Isak Dinesen. 19.

The past is never dead, it is not even past.
Faulkner cited by Hannah Arendt. 385.
Steve Cucharo
Apr 27, 2016 Steve Cucharo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably as good as an intellectual biography can get.
Leon Perlman
Jul 02, 2015 Leon Perlman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goodreads rating 84
Sue Lyle
Jan 06, 2012 Sue Lyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read any of Arendt's writing but that did not detract from this excellent biography of one of the most interesting and important women philosophers of the 20thC.
Ken Krimstein
Ken Krimstein rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2017
Tellos Filis
Tellos Filis rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2015
Mario
Mario rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2012
Blair
Blair rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2017
John  Ervin
John Ervin rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2009
Hocus
Hocus rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Steve Greenleaf
Steve Greenleaf rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2011
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Darren L.
Darren L. rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2007
Raymond
Raymond rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2010
Sander H.
Sander H. rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Aleksandra
Aleksandra rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
Gitte
Gitte rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Castillo family
Castillo family rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Juliana
Juliana rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Ivette
Ivette rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2012
Nick Crawford
Nick Crawford rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2009
Frederic
Frederic rated it liked it
May 27, 2013
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Hannah Arendt
  • Gilles Deleuze & Félix Guattari: Intersecting Lives
  • Love and Saint Augustine
  • Anatheism: Returning to God After God
  • Absolute Recoil: Towards A New Foundation Of Dialectical Materialism
  • The Twilight of the American Enlightenment: The 1950s and the Crisis of Liberal Belief
  • Prayers and Tears of Jacques Derrida: Religion Without Religion
  • Hegel
  • Bob Dylan and Philosophy: It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Thinking)
  • The Beatles and Philosophy: Nothing You Can Think that Can't Be Thunk
  • Eight Theories of Religion
  • Deleuze: The Clamor of Being
  • The Time That Remains: A Commentary On The Letter To The Romans (Meridian)
  • The Enlightenment: And Why It Still Matters
  • Who's Afraid of Relativism?: Community, Contingency, and Creaturehood (The Church and Postmodern Culture)
  • Philosophical Hermeneutics