The Mob and Me: Wiseguys and the Witness Protection Program

The Mob and Me: Wiseguys and the Witness Protection Program

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This revealing first-person narrative, by one of the founders of the Witness Protection Program and a personal protector to more than five hundred informants, offers an eye-opening, dead-on authentic perspective on the safeguard institution. How did law enforcement’s frustration with the criminal underworld and a serpentine series of hit-or-miss rules and mistake...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published 2010)

Dawn
Enjoyable but repetitive.

The author helped found the witness protection program and during his career as a US Marshall he helped protect dozens of mobsters as well as other witnesses. There are explanations about how the witness protection program works (but without giving too much away). It was interesting to read about how the program has progressed and the lengths the marshals have to go through to protect their witnesses. It really seems like a thankless job, but the author clearly enjoyed i...more
This book was *almost* a 3 star 'listen'. It was interesting to hear the different organized crime stories from the point of view of the guy keeping watch of the mob guys after they agreed to snark on their friends.

It is a really cool memoir. I liked the jaron used throughout the book. The 'Feds' and 'Wiseguys' and 'singing like a lark' are phrases easily tossed around.

This book doesn't win so many points because it wasn't anything that I felt like I needed to keep reading. Take it or leave it.
Jay
A U.S. Marshal's memoir about starting the witness protection in the 1960s and 1970s, and his interactions with a range of well-known and lesser-known mobsters, police, and Watergate figures. Not clear why the book was published in 2011 when the author died in 2006. Most of the events described occur during the 1960s and 70s.
Chris
It's a nice little snapshot into the detective's career in the Witness Protection Program. But i think that there wasn't enough nitty gritty in the short stories involving the mobsters, which left the book kind of short in being a great read.
Shawna
Not what I expected. I did wonder if some of the people he mentioned were the inspiration behind some of the characters on The Sopranos.
Tracy
An easy, quick read. I wished that the stories were more in depth.
Erin

My friend recommended this one to me. He said it was good.
Yasmine Dero
Yasmine Dero marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Cookie
Cookie marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Robert Travers
Robert Travers marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Steve Dustcircle
Steve Dustcircle marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
Michael Hipp
Michael Hipp marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Firm foundations The Happiness Factor: And How to Get It The Mob and Me Defeating the Giants The New Machiavelli