Start by marking “Trust Me On This (Sara & Jack, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trust Me On This (Sara & Jack, #1)

Trust Me On This (Sara & Jack #1)

When a serious young journalist discovers a bloody corpse on the way to her new job at a sleazy tabloid paper, she is soon dodging bullets and matching wits with her enigmatic publisher.
Published May 1st 1989 by Mysterious Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Trust Me On This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trust Me On This

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. AustinThis Pen for Hire by Laura LevineFront Page Fatality by LynDee WalkerPortrait of a Dead Guy by Larissa Reinhart
Humorous Mysteries
129th out of 184 books — 96 voters
Gone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEight Days by Scott  ThompsonThe Shell Seekers by Rosamunde PilcherThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
Books You Can Live In
69th out of 121 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 23, 2008 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I minored in journalism because of this book. It should go without saying that my friends who majored in journalism didn't think it was funny at all.

Of course, they were all wrong.

This book is hilarious. You'll never look at supermarket tabloids the same way again.

I live in hope that my company will bring in several Australians, and that we'll get to have adventures chasing down stories and committing misdemeanors.

It seems unlikely, b/c I work for a utility. But I still live in hope.
Apr 20, 2014 Dave rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-read
While not Westalke's best novel, this story was fun for me. Sufficiently complex, mordant and short. Sara is a recent journalism graduate who has taken a job with a prominent national tabloid. On her first day of work she discovers a dead man in a car on the road not far from her new employer's building. The rest of her first day is equally disorienting and surreal. Mystery and satire of the waning newspaper industry written well before the implosion brought about by the worldwide web, the Balka ...more
Korey Kaul
Aug 30, 2012 Korey Kaul rated it liked it
As Westlake novels go, this just wasn't one of my favorites. I didn't find any of the characters likable. I think that was the point, but that didn't make it any better of a read. Don't get me wrong, it's still very funny in parts, but not at the level I expect from Westlake.
Apr 18, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok
Shelves: not-for-me
I was really surprised to see how many good reviews this book has received. I give it a "meh" and I did not finish it. I like Westlake's Dortmunder books but this one was neither very funny nor very suspenseful.
Jan 18, 2014 Doug rated it it was ok
Nothing special. It's probably more of a three star book, but he also has to be judged against his other work, and this one doesn't measure up.
Jul 09, 2013 Glennie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads, florida
In another 20 years or so, young people will not be able to understand this book at all, and that's so sad. Set in 1988, it's a look at a "newspaper", and I use the word loosely (think National Enquirer)and what the journalists go thru to get a story in said paper. What dates this book, is, well, it's 1988. There are no cell phones, fax machines, digital cameras (still using film! GASP!) or computers to google information. Getting information requires phone calls, often from a pay phone and doin ...more
Mary  Goodnight
Jul 28, 2011 Mary Goodnight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ma première rencontre avec Westlake, ses phrases définitives, désabusées et hilarantes, ("Boy ressemblait de plus en plus à quelque chose que l'on aurait dû enterrer une semaine plus tôt"), sa description outrée mais qui vise juste des médias (le patron de presse tyrannique qui installe son bureau dans un ascenseur pour mieux surveiller ses employés, la description drôlissime des journalistes venus des quatre coins des USA pour couvrir le mariage d'une célébrité et se saoulent au bar à peine arr ...more
Feb 18, 2014 Spiros rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of ethically challenged protagonists
Westlake specialized in ethically dubious protagonists, but none of the thieves and killers he featured were engaged in a more scabrous pursuit than Sara Joslyn and Jack Ingersoll, reporter and editor for the tabloid "The Weekly Galaxy". As usual, Westlake provides brilliant comedy, leavened here with some mordant social commentary.
Brenda Clough
Feb 22, 2012 Brenda Clough rated it it was amazing
Donald Westlake at the top of his form is a mighty sight to behold. This book is more or less free-standing (there's one sequel) so it is a dynamite way to get involved with Westlake's work. He is a master of the funny detective/murder novel, and this book is just a delight. The number of zingers he can work off on the despicable tabloid industry is a pleasure to behold, and if you do not laugh out loud at the Australian invasion of the midwestern nursing home, you are lost to humanity. Westlake ...more
Dec 12, 2015 Bill rated it liked it
This book was on a list of books that I read before 2005. So, I am adding it to my read books on GoodReads.
Paul O
Jun 03, 2007 Paul O rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite audio books. Narrator Nicki Van Gieson brings a lot of warmth to the reading.

The book is about a young woman who goes to work for a "National Enquirer"-like tabloid and finds a body next to the road on her way to her first day of work. The book humorously follows her life at the paper and her work on the side to solve the mystery of the body.
Apr 21, 2008 Nick rated it it was amazing
Donald E. Westlake is the master of the comedic crime novel. This is the first of his books that I read and is outstandingly funny. It's difficult to describe the tone of his books to the uninitiated, but it's got the same comic sensibilities as the Fletch movies and the same suspense/crime writing attitude as the Fletch books.
Jan 27, 2015 Clare rated it liked it
I always enjoy Westlake novels--he has a wicked sense of humor. This story centered on reporters for a scandal sheet and was wonderfully funny when describing that setting. The book's requisite mystery, though, dragged and caused me to put the book down for a month or more before finishing it.
Oct 05, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
This is one of the funniest books I've ever read, and at the same time gave me a brand new and well-deserved respect for at least one of our supermarket tabloids. The REAL story of how reporters who tell the truth get down and dirty in order to come up with their celebrity dish.
Michael Krakovskiy
Apr 03, 2013 Michael Krakovskiy rated it it was amazing
An amazing retelling of the peak of National Enquirer's frothy "checkbook journalism" era. I'm guessing Westlake heard the war stories about the famous hunt for the snapshot of dead Elvis and decided - hey, I can turn this into a book. It's a hell of a story and a hell of a book.
Jul 17, 2015 sublimosa rated it liked it
Great book, although it took me some time to get through so a bit tedious. I'm the type to finish most books in a few days, weeks at most but I started this one in July and just finished end of December. Still, funny and clever andI'm glad I read it.
Denise M.
Sep 13, 2009 Denise M. marked it as to-read
AKA: Alan Marshall, Alan Marsh, James Blue, Ben Christopher, Edwin West, John B. Allan, Curt Clark, Tucker Coe, P.N. Castor, Timothy J. Culver, J. Morgan Cunningham, Samuel Holt, Judson Jack Carmichael, Richard Stark, Donald E. Westlake
Bern J
Sep 19, 2013 Bern J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Donald Westlake is the master of comic mayhem. In this book he does a fine sendup of our
"National Enquirer" voyeuristic American culture. I've read 6 or 7 of Westlake's books & I enjoyed
this one the most
Nov 12, 2007 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
I adore this book and its sequel, "Baby, Would I Lie?", mainly because of the subject matter. Strangely, I've never been able to get into any of Donald Westlake's other books.
Mar 06, 2009 Heidi rated it liked it
This is drastically different from all of the other Westlake books we've been reading lately. Still, very interesting and well written. I liked it.
Oct 01, 2009 Steven rated it really liked it
A humorous book in which a talented journalist is lured to work on a tabloid. There are some dated plot-points, but it's not a major problem.
Jan 31, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I fun read and fast read. Westlake has skills as a writer. He knows how to make Drama as Hitchcock put it by "cutting-out the boring bits".
Sheila Bridant
After reading Memory (probably his last book) and being very frustrated, I have returned to some of Westlake's early silly work for fun.
Gregory Knapp
May 01, 2013 Gregory Knapp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A brilliant comic novel.

Intrepid reporter Sara Joslyn is one of the great, unsung heroines of American fiction.
Angela Mcentee
Oct 28, 2013 Angela Mcentee rated it it was amazing
Donald Westlake writes a hilarious story... This is one of my favorites.
Curt Lyon
Sep 20, 2011 Curt Lyon rated it really liked it
a funny Dortmunder tale with the usual characters of ill repute
Feb 09, 2008 David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, crime
Very funny peek behind the veil of supermarket tabloids
Apr 23, 2011 Alice rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest books I've ever read.
Larry Webber
Jan 11, 2008 Larry Webber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny skewering of tabloid journalism.
Mar 26, 2013 Charles rated it really liked it
Almost as good as Dortmunder.
  • The Burglar Who Liked to Quote Kipling (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #3)
  • The Naked Detective (Key West, #8)
  • The Dame (Alan Grofield, #2)
  • Detective (Stanley Hastings, #1)
  • Midnight Guardians (Max Freeman, #6)
  • Bones of Coral
  • Gilded Needles
Donald E. Westlake (1933-2008) was one of the most prolific and talented authors of American crime fiction. He began his career in the late 1950's, churning out novels for pulp houses—often writing as many as four novels a year under various pseudonyms such as Richard Stark—but soon began publishing under his own name. His most well-known characters were John Dortmunder, an unlucky thief, and a ru ...more
More about Donald E. Westlake...

Sara & Jack (2 books)
  • Baby, Would I Lie? (Sara & Jack, #2)