Start by marking “Out On The Net” as Want to Read:
Out On The Net

Out On The Net

Ray Tolliver has bad timing. Cold feet? It doesn’t get much worse than accepting you’re gay twenty minutes before your wedding to a woman, yet that’s just what happens.

Join Ray as he recounts in his blog the hilarious and touching events that lead him on a journey toward true love. Although he originally starts looking for love in all the wrong places, will he eventually
Kindle Edition
Published (first published November 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Out On The Net, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out On The Net

Jenre
Jan 13, 2011 Jenre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review can also be found at Brief Encounters Reviews

Comedies are tricky things for authors. Mainly because humour is so personal and what one person finds funny, falls completely flat for another. In terms of the humour, I found this story a little mixed. Some parts of the story were side splittingly funny (you can’t beat a good fart gag), some parts brought on a bit of a chuckle, some parts a wan smile and some bits I didn’t find very funny at all. However, as the parts I did find funny ou
Cindi
Dec 10, 2012 Cindi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2013, rick-r-reed

Ray Tolliver's timing is horrible. He has chosen the worst time possible to accept the fact that he is gay. Twenty minutes before he is to walk down the aisle to marry Alice he realizes that he can't go through with it. The church is filled. The bride-to-be is in another room getting ready to become Ray's wife. Everything is ready for the perfect wedding ceremony. After choosing a cowardly way (in my opinion) to make the announcement, Ray disappears and later tries to live as a single g
CrabbyPatty
Oct 25, 2016 CrabbyPatty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light fun read about Ray, who realizes he is gay ... about 20 minutes before his wedding. Ray's blog posts capture his efforts to find love and ranges from funny to heart-rending, and ultimately very satisfying.
D.H. Starr
Dec 27, 2010 D.H. Starr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out on the Net is one of the most clever stories I have read in quite some time. Written in the form of a blog, Rick Reed shares the inner thoughts and feelings of Ray Tolliver, a man who realizes that he is gay at the most inopportune moment…on his wedding day. Leaving his bride to be before she even has a chance to walk down the aisle, we embark on Ray’s journey of self-discovery and exploration of his new life.

From rest stop cruising to internet dating, Ray can’t seem to find the right venue
Joyfully Jay
May 25, 2016 Joyfully Jay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wendy
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

This story is a short novella told in a unique way. Initially I had reservations about reading a story in blog form, but I have to admit, I was hooked from the opening pages!

Ray is a 30-year-old virgin living in a small town. When he jilts his fiancé at the altar, Ray begins a journey to find himself and hopefully find a little love along the way. The only problem is, he has no idea what he is doing! He begins by looking for love in all the wrong places…Lollipop Par
Karin Wollina
Nov 16, 2010 Karin Wollina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers, favorites
Just finished. That was so funny ! Really one of the best and funniest coming out story I`ve`read for a while. Most coming out stories are very sad stories with lots of heartbreak and drama (and rightly so if you see how much phobic people are out there). But this story, told as a blog from one quit ordinary guy is so very nice told (loved the first date blog, I laughed so much my sides hurt). Definitely a keeper, and I will read it again.
Thanks! And highly recommendable !!
Michelle
May 24, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute story that takes us from Ray's discovery of the fact that he's gay (which is unfortunately, very poor timing), through his search for love. The whole story is written as a blog by the MC who hopes that his journey will help others like him.
Tjarde
May 27, 2016 Tjarde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Miz Love
May 17, 2011 Miz Love rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out on the Net by Rick Reed is more than a “coming out” story. It’s a This is This is Your Life in 80 pages, Everyman book that anybody—gay or straight—will relate to. Sometimes with hilarity, sometimes with tears. Somehow Mr. Reed’s managed to jam a full-featured, Vista-Vision, Technicolor world into a surprisingly diminutive space. It’s much like those desert tents in the cartoons—little on the outside, but inside it stretches as far as the eye can see, filled to the brim with beauty.

The story
Book Utopia

This short novella is comprised of a series of blogs written by recently out Ray Tolliver. It starts with his wedding day, where he finally admits to himself that he’s gay. His best friend Doug agrees to cover for him when he wants to call it off, at which point, Ray sets out recording his new life. He’s a virgin to gay sex, so his first entries are about the local rest stop notorious for gay hook-ups and his adjustment to being single again. They progress from there to his first date a
Karel
Mar 23, 2013 Karel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nomance
No more RRR for me. All the blurbs are intriguing to me, but I can't get into his writing. It's somewhat less than functional - the people sound awkward, and I actually cringe for them because somebody has to - and the description just doesn't flow well.

Just takes book for example: it's formatted as multiple blog entries by the MC, and you can tell he's trying to be funny and achieve that tone you often see in Chic lit-ish books... Except it doesn't make the grade.

The narration is often unfunny
Indie Reviews
Apr 09, 2011 Indie Reviews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Readers of gay fiction usually associate Rick R. Reed with the horror story. Unzipped Magazine has described him as "the Stephen King of gay horror" and rightly so, it is a well-deserved accolade. But fans of this author also know that he is versatile and writes across genres. In Out On The Net Mr. Reed once again forays into the realm of contemporary gay romance, but not just any run-of-the-mill romance, strictly a Rick R. Reed particular brand of romance - a laugh out loud romantic comedy that
Suze
Nov 09, 2016 Suze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick and easy read, written i the style of a blog post so moves fast.
I didn't mind Ray's last minute decision - happens, with bride or groom for variety of reasons and in my mind better than 'going through with it' and sorting later.
I did feel we missed a number of the blogs and I wouldn't have minded a longer treatment to get more of a feel for Ray. I still felt I didn't know him well as a character, but it is a short story.
The humour was there, a bit dark in places, sometimes with Ray, some
Zane Kage
May 22, 2016 Zane Kage rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-5
Great concept, great story - I definitely enjoyed being inside Ray's mind and going through his coming out process with him. The ups and downs, self realizations, failed attempts to connect/form relationships and even the updates about the ex worked for me. What didn't work for me was the last part of this novella. Although I was happy Ray got his happy, things felt rushed. Still, I do like this author's writing very much, and will always come back for more.
Otterpuss
Ray is a likeable character and we follow him around by way of his blog as he discovers himself.
This is a funny read and it made me chuckle more than once, I mean who doesn't like a good fart joke?!

One criticism is that I felt like it lacked a bit of depth. I would have liked more information, more detail, and the ending was a bit abrupt, I felt like I was just getting into the story and it finished.
Not to mention it ends at 84% which is a pet hate of mine.
Jessica Wicks
Feb 17, 2011 Jessica Wicks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'm not exactly a big purchaser of gay male romance stories. But I know the author and the concept was intriguing. A man is about to get married, when just before the service, he comes to fully realize it cannot happen because he is gay. What follows are series of blog entries where we follow his small town journey coping with this reality and ultimately finding real love. It was a sweet story and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good writing Rick!
Tamela
LOL, one thing I came away with was that Ray really likes to play with his puns. He jokes about being gay and trying to figure out how to use the term "Mary" or picking on the stereotype of liking Judy Garland or Cher.

The description of the "rest stop" had me laughing as I pictured him running screaming like a drama queen out the door.

I'm so happy he found someone he could love and would love him in return for who he truly was.
Julia
Dec 11, 2010 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, short-shot
I won this one during the M/M Romance Group anniversary celebrations this year. I'm a fan of Reed's mystery/suspense/horror works and was curious to see what else he could do. I wasn't disappointed. This was charming and sweet, great characters and a fun way to present the story. Definitely recommend. 4.5 stars, bumping up to 5 for goodreads.
Isabella
May 19, 2016 Isabella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too bad this was so short. I liked the idea of getting the story told in form of a blog. This was innovative and I liked the experiences Ray made...
Unfortunately the hot scenes were a bit fadet out. On the other hand I liked the hostet writing of the blog so I give the story 4-4.5 out of 5 stars. :3
Shannon
Jul 09, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cover-color-blue
Holy crap. If you need a good laugh, then read this book. It's not very long but it's 100% entertainment. A newly gay, 30yr old man trying to find a partner and blogging about his experiences. Too funny. And sweet and hearbreaking all at the same time. Loved it!
Shelley Chastagner
Loved it! Rick Reed has a great writing style and I really liked this 'blog' by his character. Ray's emotions about Alice, his struggles to find his way in a new set of rules, balancing his expectations with reality all say 'real' to me. I would love to see a follow up.
Adult read
Chris
Jan 21, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, gay, done, short, 2011, ebook
Very good short m/m romance about a guy who finally accepts that he's gay 20 minutes before he's supposed to get married to a woman. The story is told via his blog as he tries to figure out being gay and meeting guys in his small town.
Lisa Foulke
May 22, 2016 Lisa Foulke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
A guy admits to himself that he's gay moments before he's to be married. Then he blogs about coming out, etc., using real names. And his ex-wife-to-be reads his blog; she's pissed at first, but then she's OK with it. I find that the most unbelievable part of the book.

Lene
May 28, 2016 Lene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
MM romance blog.
Elizabeth H.
Dec 08, 2010 Elizabeth H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute. A piece of fluff, really, but there's definitely a place for fluff.
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
I would have enjoyed this story much more if I didn't have to rush it:(
Mariana
Andrea
A funny story right from the first blog entry. Definitely worth reading if you're looking for something light-hearted and quick.
Elaine
Dec 31, 2016 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story, it has great characters, and was well written. Also a good storyline. I enjoyed it.
Karen
May 21, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
★★★ ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Silver and Gold
  • Trust Me
  • End of the Trail (End Of The Trail, #1)
  • A Picture Perfect Holiday
  • D.N.A.: Double Helix
  • The Night Porter (Night Porter, #1)
  • Sonoran Heat
  • Pain (Darwin's Theory, #1)
  • Embrace My Reflection (Embrace, #1)
  • Back to Normal
  • Match Maker
  • Hot Weather
  • Between Brothers
  • Yours, Johnny
  • The WASPs
  • Hanging Loose
  • Little Boy Dead (Boystown #0.5)
  • Cherries on Top
Real Men. True Love.

Rick R. Reed draws inspiration from the lives of gay men to craft stories that quicken the heartbeat, engage emotions, and keep the pages turning. Although he dabbles in horror, dark suspense, and comedy, his attention always returns to the power of love. He’s the award-winning and bestselling author of more than fifty works of published fiction and is forever at work on yet an
More about Rick R. Reed...