Isle of View (Magic of Xanth #13)

Isle of View (Xanth #13)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  6,747 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Lovelorn
Loveworn Love LostPerplexed Prince Dolph, Xanth's precocious shapeshifter, should be in love but isn't. Nonetheless, he must chose between two fiancEes -- Nada the uninterested and Electra the uninteresting -- or all three of them will suffer the most dire consequences. Luckily a convenient catastrophe has popped up to distract Dolph form his dilemma -- the foal-na...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Isle of View, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isle of View

Cathleen Ash
I read through 17 of the Xanth series over a short period of time, years ago, and remember this as my favorite! In re-reading it, I picked up right where I left off - in love with Piers Anthony's style of writing! The puns, plot twists and cohesiveness are exhilerating. Let's just say that the Isle is a 'place' where a Prince can't say: I love you! (or pick the 'right' girl to marry). In between this underlying dilemma, this 13th of the series adds goblins, a Centaur, and magical Elf girl (Jenny...more
Julie Sondra Decker
The winged centaur Che has been kidnapped by the goblins! In a quest to get him back, Che's parents, Dolph, and Jenny Elf (a newbie to Xanth from another world) give chase, but it turns out the goblins want Che for a pretty important reason. That said, you can't just steal a sentient creature and not expect there to be consequences. In the middle of all this, Dolph is still struggling to choose a wife. How will it all tie together?

Anthony gave a shout-out to a big fan of his by making her a char...more
David Sarkies
Well, I am finally at the end of all of the Xanth novels that I have read. I really do not know why I went through them all and wrote a comment on them, but I guess it is something that I felt that I had to do. I guess I really did persist through these novels, but then at the time that I was reading them, I was enjoying them, however I stopped here, for numerous reasons. I guess one of the main reasons is that I temporarily moved away from reading. While I would still read during this period o...more
Werner
Jun 23, 2008 Werner rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Xanth series, and of humorous fantasy in general
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Man from Mundania, the twelfth Xanth volume, intervenes between this one and The Heaven Cent, which I reviewed here earlier this year; but Barb and I couldn't wait to read this one, since it provides the solution to Dolph's problem of two Betrothees. And solve it Anthony does, in his own perfect fashion, with everybody happy (this is, after all, Xanth :-) ) and some personal growth that comes from making a decision to do the right thing. Others besides Dolph, too, will be faced with ethical dile...more
Kirsti
When I first read this book a few years ago, I laughed at the title. My boyfriend asked me what was so funny, read the title and stared blankly at it. I read it aloud. Nothing. Ah, the ultimate proof some love puns, and some just don't get it!

Time is running out for Electra, as she must marry Dolph before her birthday or die. However, Dolph doesn't want to marry her, he's sure he loves only Nada. Before a wedding can occur however, Che the flying centaur foal has been foalnapped, and all of Xant...more
Swankivy
Obviously the title is yet another pun. Prince Dolph is dealing with figuring out which of two girls betrothed to him is going to actually be his wife. (Guess polygamy isn't allowed in Xanth. A pity.)

I think this book was where I started to lose interest in this series. I wasn't a huge fan in the first place; I thought they were basically readable, and wanted to know all the details because my best friend loved them and we had little jokes that referenced the series, but Piers Anthony started sa...more
Kathryn
I read at least five books in the Xanth series after "Isle of View", but I believe this may be the last one that I really enjoyed. Sure, there's all the usual silliness, plus a guest star from ElfQuest that appears completely out of left field (but that was for a good cause), and yes Piers Anthony ticked me the HECK off when he thanked a reader for sending in the answer to Dolph's dilemma after he'd "already written it the wrong way". (Gah, reader submissions. Don't get me started.) But in all t...more
Izlinda
This is the third Xanth book I borrowed from Matt (nobody bought them at the garage sale :P) and I was interested in it because I knew the dilemma of Dolph's betrothal would be resolved. I have to say, interesting solution...

Of course, a majority of the book concerns the quest to rescue Che, the flying centaur foal and the random appearance of Jenny Elf. I do like the parallels of the situation, and how some species in the series are maturing/changing, just like the centaurs (kind of) die near t...more
Carole
I remembered that I had read this, but virtually notng about it. I suspect that may be the case for moat of the rest that I've read before, from here on out because these next few I've only read once or twice before and it was when they were first published. In other words, it was when I was a sleep-deprived mother of infants and toddlers in the nineties. I can't even remember exactly which one was the last I read, so that will be a surprise, too.

This is the book where Prince Dolph must make the...more
Rachael Wiggins
Oh, Piers Anthony. I found this one in a box of random books I'd picked up, delighted to find an author I recognized. Imagine my surprise when I realized this was one of the books I'd read in my youth, when I understood words better than content more often than not. If you're looking for an in-depth fantasy world that changes your life, this is not it. Not to say that Xanth isn't fleshed out - it is just pure light-hearted fun.
I'm an escapist, and I love the Xanth novels because I don't have to...more
Ward Bond
SUMMARY:
LovelornLoveworn Love LostPerplexed Prince Dolph, Xanth's precocious shapeshifter, should be in love but isn't. Nonetheless, he must chose between two fiancées -- Nada the uninterested and Electra the uninteresting -- or all three of them will suffer the most dire consequences. Luckily a convenient catastrophe has popped up to distract Dolph form his dilemma -- the foal-napping of young Che Centaur by goblins. And the only one who knows where Che is is a nice but remarkably naive elflike...more
Theresa
I really should have loved a book about winged centaurs more. Don't get me wrong, I loved it but I found myself thinking,"get on with it!"
a little too much. I wish the book had more Dolph, Electra, and Nalda and less goblins. I also didn't like the thesaurus demon.

The ending made up for the books slow parts though, I really enjoyed watching Dolph truly see Electra. And my heart swelled for Electra as she spent her wedding night, it was sweet and romantic. I never expected such a sweetly romantic...more
Stephen
A decent romp through Xanth, even if I knew that Che was never in any real trouble. The worst part of the book is Jenny Elf, probably the very first Mary Sue to ever make it in fiction. Not only is she an elf from another place (in this case, a comic books series), but she has the magic ability to solve all the problems the plot dictates.

Look, I like Xanth novels for 2 reasons: the puns and the quest and sometimes even the plot. This book has the quest and the puns, but it's very thin on plot.
J Austill
As I mentioned in my review of Heaven Cent, this book doesn't really stand alone but rather is a conclusion of the events (well some of them) of that book. As such, it feels like that one had all the action and this is just a drug out epilogue.

Even though I read this at the age of 11, I found the sex seem to be way too tame. It felt like the 'adult' parts of the book were purposefully edited so that i could read it when I really, really wanted to be one of the adults.

Damn the Conspiracy!
Debra Meyer
If you haven't read the note at the end of the book you lost a valuable lesson about the author, and he rose up to one of my top sci fi authors for that little piece. Of course I also have to blame him for bringing another set of books I am going to have to figure out how to get my hands on *sigh* and since his note was written in 1989, thats going to be fun :/
Kylara Jensen
This is actually one of my favorite of the newer Xanth books. And by new I mean the new "trilogy." He really started going in a little different direction after the first 9 books and these nine books have a more continuous plot line, which I enjoy. I like this book because the whole Nada vs. Electra thing is finally resolved
Doe E.
The Xanth books were a hoot the first time through (many years ago). I attempted to reread them again recently, but they don't work for me now. It's probably not a maturity thing, because I still think Gilligan is funny! Hmmm. If you haven't read them yet, go for it. If you've read them once, remember them fondly.
Aaron
Oct 04, 2007 Aaron rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Xanth fans
I love you? no.. Isle of View!
One that is average on the enjoyable rating when it comes to Xanth. but a quick and good read. so, if you ever do read the series, be sure to read this one also. At least, read the first three before you read others. yeah.
Stephen Herfst
I remember this one ... I didn't get the pun relating to the title until it actually happened (I am slow). I think this one was a little sappy and didn't quite have the rambunctious ending I usually get from one of his books. No gold coin for you.
Dale Rosso
Up to Anthony's usual standards.
Michel McDonald
I really loved reading this book, but the note at the end about the real Jenny really put it all together for me. I love all the Xanth books for their uniqueness, but now I am more in love than ever before.
Natalie
I know I've read this one before, but oddly, remembered nothing about it, so was lovely to read it again, and thoroughly enjoyed it, definitely one of my favourite of the Xanth novels!!
Book Him Danno
Piers Anthony is the master of fantasy and puns. This series is funny puns wrapped around a good story. I've enjoyed everyone I've read. This is a great series for kids especially.
Dawn
I think my favorite part was the author's note at the end explaining who Jenny was named for. Stupid drunk drivers! And that's not to say I didn't enjoy the book, because I did.
Jeremiah Johnson
I really enjoyed this book. It was an enjoyable adventure and the characters were a lot of fun. Anthony is taking Xanth in a new direction, and I for one enjoy it.
Annette McIntyre
Che Centaur has been kidnapped. But who did it, and why? And who is the odd elf with him? Will Prince
Dolph choose well between his two betrothed?
Kyra Dunst
The Xanth series is one of my favorites. This is the start of Jenny Elf, and the Letters to Jenny. Be sure to read the Author's notes from this book forward!
Shannon
I read ths because my husband likes it. It was hard to get into and a chore to read at times. A cute story, but the writing was dull and dragged on.
Keri
The Xanth series is really good until the Auther gets onto his soap box about the
environment. They are definitely a fun read.
Jeremy
Great story because it resolves some of the problems caused by earlier books in the series, but not really his best.
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • Deryni Magic
  • Castle Kidnapped (Castle Perilous, #3)
  • A Princess of Landover (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #6)
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme #1)
  • All the Weyrs of Pern (Pern, #11)
  • Chicks 'n Chained Males (Chicks in Chainmail, #3)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm...more
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)