Start by marking “I Am the Book” as Want to Read:
I Am the Book

I Am the Book

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  303 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
The pleasure of reading is introduced via 13 poems.
Published February 7th 2011 by Holiday House (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Am the Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am the Book

The Flying Orchestra by Clare McFaddenInterrupting Chicken by David Ezra SteinArt & Max by David WiesnerThe Lion and the Mouse by Jerry PinkneyHow Rocket Learned to Read by Tad Hills
Red Dot 2012: Early Readers: Long-list
27th out of 32 books — 27 voters
Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel SilversteinA Light in the Attic by Shel SilversteinWhen We Were Very Young by A.A. MilneNow We Are Six by A.A. MilneA Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson
Best children's poetry books
167th out of 179 books — 243 voters

More lists with this book...

Edward Sullivan
Great collection of poems celebrating the joys of books and reading. A fun complement to other books with a similar theme such as J. Patrick Lewis's Please Bury Me in the Library, Lane Smith's It's a Book, Mordicai Gerstein's A Book, and George Ella Lyons's Book.
Crystal
Jun 02, 2012 Crystal rated it really liked it
Fantastic poems about books. I especially loved Hopkins' Poetry Time and Jane Yolen's A Poem Is, but there isn't a single one in there that I didn't enjoy. The illustrations were unique, but sometimes were a distraction rather than something to help support the poems.
Sydney Armstrong
Apr 12, 2016 Sydney Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow
This book is a collection of short poems that are all about reading books! I loved each and every one of the 13 poems buried inside this book but if I had to choose one it would be Paperback Plunder by Michele Krueger. This particular poem describe a girl going to the beach to retreat away from every day life, the end of the poem brings attention to the reader that the poem is a metaphor for reading and letting a book's story take your mind away on a retreat. The illustrations are very colorful, ...more
Rebecca Sheffler
Mar 03, 2014 Rebecca Sheffler rated it it was amazing
"I Am the Book" is a collection of thirteen different poems. These poems written by various authors, and are selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins. The poems in this book take you away into a world of reading with the language that is used. Each poem describes a wonderful trait of the world of reading. There are poems about snuggling up with a book on a rainy morning, the feeling you get when something surprising happens in a book, the ability to get lost in the book, and the richness of a book that i ...more
Hannah Evilsizor
Feb 22, 2015 Hannah Evilsizor rated it it was amazing
This poetry book could be used for grades 1st through 3rd. on every page there is a book somewhere and on most it is the main theme. This poetry book emphasizes how important reading is and all the places that a book can take you. These poems have some thought provoking words in them that would be good to talk about with students. This book also contains many bright illustrations. I would do an activity maybe write a small story and and tie a book into an every day activity or a place that someo ...more
Donalyn
Thirteen poets share poems celebrating books and reading. A wonderful launching book for reading workshop.
Gemma Duling
Feb 25, 2015 Gemma Duling rated it really liked it
Personal Reaction:
I enjoyed this book mainly because of the illustrations. For every poem, there is a book included in the illustration related to the poem. This book helps children realize that reading can be fun and many different adventures can be learned about.

Purpose:
I would use this for children's enjoyment and as a read aloud. I would want children to think about their favorite books and how those make them feel. I would want children to realize that reading should be enjoyable and not as
Barbara
Jun 16, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
Shelves: ncbla, poetry
Thirteen poets use thirteen different poems to pay tribute to reading. Tireless promoter of literacy and poetry Lee Bennett Hopkins has selected poems that pay tribute to the swashbuckling nature of reading as well as its ability to help us get lost in the books we're reading. Perennial children's favorite poets such as Karla Kushkin, Kristine O'Connell George and Jane Yolen are here as well as newer poets such as Jill Corcoran, Rebecca Kai Dotlich and Amy Ludwig VanDerwater. Poems by Avis Hartl ...more
Julia
May 29, 2014 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My book-obsessed son memorized this poem for a class assignment.

Who's Rich?
A boy with a book he hasn't read yet
A girl with a stack of books by her bed
She opens and opens and opens
Her life starts everywhere

Who's Rich?
Anyone befriended
Again and again
This is a wealth we never lose.

A sweet collection of poems about the love and adventure of reading. Wish it was longer and deeper. But a worthwhile read nonetheless.
Margie
Apr 30, 2016 Margie rated it really liked it
Utterly charming collection of poems about books - the joys, the dreams, the treasures, etc. Readers or listeners of all ages will enjoy the short pieces and what they have to say about our good friends, books. The illustrations are equally wonderful. This is a fun collection, just the right length, too.
Steph
May 03, 2014 Steph rated it liked it
I feel like a collection of poems needs to stand out, and none of these poems did. I love that the subject matter is the love of reading and books, but none of them were memorable. The illustrations were quirky but not bold enough to be exciting to children.
Michael
Mar 05, 2016 Michael rated it liked it
Well, it was whimsical, and the illustrations were quite nice. Most of the poems unimpressive and not memorable.
I most enjoyed Wonder Through the Pages by Karla Kuskin. I'll save that one.
Amy
Feb 28, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing
Every bibliophile, librarian, teacher, and reader should own a copy of this little anthology. There are poem~treasures to be discovered again and again.
Heidi
I think I missed the poetical aspects, because I was enjoying more the subject of them. A great read for those who love reading. Kids and adults alike will remember when they experienced for themselves what the poems describe. Though the book left behind is very sad to me. Some of the illustrations went along with the poems quite well. My favorite illustration was of the amusement park. My favorite poem is a tie: "This Book" or "I am the Book."

I liked it as a Beehive nominee because it will reac
Catherine
Jan 11, 2016 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Rachel
Dec 07, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This is such an amazing book of poetry about the joy of books; it brought tears to my eyes!
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
This was good. I liked some of the poems about books. A book for any bookworm. Good read.
Kelly
Aug 24, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
Pair this book with "Book Speak" to inspire reading and poetry. These thirteen selected poems by different authors have been brought to life by the illustrator, Yayo. They can be used to study strong words, relationships between stanzas, metaphors, similes, rhyming and more.

All the poems in this book are thoughtfully illustrated with two page openings in full bleed detail. How about a dog with a book for a snout, or a whale of a tale? "It's poem o'clock!"

Use this book to inspire a love of poetr
Jamie
Feb 24, 2016 Jamie added it
Short, poems about reading and the love of books.
Danielle
Jun 18, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Poems expressing the joy of reading and books.
Amy Carr
Jul 25, 2012 Amy Carr rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-poetry
I have to admit up front that I am not a huge poetry fan so my rating and opinion on the book is biased by that. There were a few poems in this anthology that I really liked and some beautiful metaphors and descriptions of the power of reading. I did love the whimsical, fun illustrations. I read it to my daughter last night and we had some great discussions on metaphors and how she would describe her love for literature. Interesting.
Laura Salas
Jul 22, 2011 Laura Salas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, children-s, loved
Another great Lee Bennett Hopkins anthology! So many terrific poems. This anthology feels a little younger than many of his anthologies--partially because there are more rhyming poems than usual, I think. All the poems in here are really accessible even to primary-aged kids but would still be enjoyed by older kids, too. The poems are beautiful and wonderful and about my favorite topic--books!
Tamara
Jun 24, 2011 Tamara rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Hopkins has gathered a lovely collection of reading themed poems, rich in figurative language and poetic devices. It has been on my "to-read" list for awhile, and I'm so glad I finally tracked it down. I Am the Book will be a great resource, starting at the beginning of the new year as we reflect on our journeys as readers and writers.
Morgan
Jul 18, 2011 Morgan rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-lit
Anyone who loves to read will enjoy this anthology of poems collected by Lee Bennett Hopkins from authors and poets such as Jane Yolen, Naomi Shihab Nye, and Karla Kuskin. Each delightful poem describes the wonder and joy of reading and each page is filled by Yayo’s vibrant and whimsical illustrations. For readers age 6 and up.
Liz
Oct 04, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Finally read all of these too... Really, what was I waiting for? Liked them very much. Loved a few, especially the ones about poems... and Avis Harley's This Book poem, too. Thank you Lee Bennett Hopkins for all of the great poetry collections you have produced!!!

Okay... really it's a 4.5!!!
Miri
Oct 25, 2012 Miri rated it really liked it
Who's Rich? - Naomi Shihab Nye

Who's rich?
The boy with a book he hasn't read yet.
The girl with a tower of books by her bed.
She opens and opens and opens.
Her life starts everywhere.

Who's rich?
Anyone befriended again & again
by a well-loved book.

This is a wealth
we never lose.
Sandy Brehl
Aug 24, 2012 Sandy Brehl rated it it was amazing
Poetry anthology selected by Lee Bennet Hopkins (does it get any better?). Each poem is a reflection or celebration about books- their function in our lives, subjects, emotions, etc. In short, a perfect book about books! Pair with BookSpeak: Poems About Books, by Laura Purdie Salas.
Michelle Nero
Nov 05, 2011 Michelle Nero rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
A book of poems about books and poems! So many great poems to share and read aloud.

Book

Chapter One
Till The End

Closing the cover
I sigh --

Good-bye, friend.
Diane
Jul 29, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
"Books are such mind-thrilling spine-tingling friends" A line from the Poem "This Book" by Avis Harley. Just one of thirteen poems about the joy of books and reading. I'll be using this book with my students this year as I try to add more poetry to my library time.
Christine
Aug 30, 2012 Christine rated it liked it
As a poetry book about books (and I love books) this one was okay. Some of the poems I loved, such as "When I Read", and others were a bit abstract for me. The illustrations, also a bit abstract, were a good fit for the poems but some left me scratching my head.
  • BookSpeak!: Poems about Books