I Am the Book

I Am the Book

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  58 reviews
The pleasure of reading is introduced via 13 poems.
Published February 7th 2011 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about I Am the Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am the Book

The Flying Orchestra by Clare McFaddenArt & Max by David WiesnerHow Rocket Learned to Read by Tad HillsInterrupting Chicken by David Ezra SteinDog Loves Books by Louise Yates
Red Dot 2012: Early Readers: Long-list
26th out of 32 books — 25 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyMatilda by Roald DahlThe Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz ZafónThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Books about Books
413th out of 636 books — 960 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca Sheffler
"I Am the Book" is a collection of thirteen different poems. These poems written by various authors, and are selected by Lee Bennett Hopkins. The poems in this book take you away into a world of reading with the language that is used. Each poem describes a wonderful trait of the world of reading. There are poems about snuggling up with a book on a rainy morning, the feeling you get when something surprising happens in a book, the ability to get lost in the book, and the richness of a book that i...more
Edward Sullivan
Great collection of poems celebrating the joys of books and reading. A fun complement to other books with a similar theme such as J. Patrick Lewis's Please Bury Me in the Library, Lane Smith's It's a Book, Mordicai Gerstein's A Book, and George Ella Lyons's Book.
Crystal
Fantastic poems about books. I especially loved Hopkins' Poetry Time and Jane Yolen's A Poem Is, but there isn't a single one in there that I didn't enjoy. The illustrations were unique, but sometimes were a distraction rather than something to help support the poems.
Kelly Tromburg Frisk
Pair this book with "Book Speak" to inspire reading and poetry. These thirteen selected poems by different authors have been brought to life by the illustrator, Yayo. They can be used to study strong words, relationships between stanzas, metaphors, similes, rhyming and more.

All the poems in this book are thoughtfully illustrated with two page openings in full bleed detail. How about a dog with a book for a snout, or a whale of a tale? "It's poem o'clock!"

Use this book to inspire a love of poetr...more
Barbara
Thirteen poets use thirteen different poems to pay tribute to reading. Tireless promoter of literacy and poetry Lee Bennett Hopkins has selected poems that pay tribute to the swashbuckling nature of reading as well as its ability to help us get lost in the books we're reading. Perennial children's favorite poets such as Karla Kushkin, Kristine O'Connell George and Jane Yolen are here as well as newer poets such as Jill Corcoran, Rebecca Kai Dotlich and Amy Ludwig VanDerwater. Poems by Avis Hartl...more
Julia
My book-obsessed son memorized this poem for a class assignment.

Who's Rich?
A boy with a book he hasn't read yet
A girl with a stack of books by her bed
She opens and opens and opens
Her life starts everywhere

Who's Rich?
Anyone befriended
Again and again
This is a wealth we never lose.

A sweet collection of poems about the love and adventure of reading. Wish it was longer and deeper. But a worthwhile read nonetheless.
Steph
I feel like a collection of poems needs to stand out, and none of these poems did. I love that the subject matter is the love of reading and books, but none of them were memorable. The illustrations were quirky but not bold enough to be exciting to children.
Heidi
I think I missed the poetical aspects, because I was enjoying more the subject of them. A great read for those who love reading. Kids and adults alike will remember when they experienced for themselves what the poems describe. Though the book left behind is very sad to me. Some of the illustrations went along with the poems quite well. My favorite illustration was of the amusement park. My favorite poem is a tie: "This Book" or "I am the Book."

I liked it as a Beehive nominee because it will reac...more
Danielle
Poems expressing the joy of reading and books.
Amy Carr
I have to admit up front that I am not a huge poetry fan so my rating and opinion on the book is biased by that. There were a few poems in this anthology that I really liked and some beautiful metaphors and descriptions of the power of reading. I did love the whimsical, fun illustrations. I read it to my daughter last night and we had some great discussions on metaphors and how she would describe her love for literature. Interesting.
Laura Salas
Another great Lee Bennett Hopkins anthology! So many terrific poems. This anthology feels a little younger than many of his anthologies--partially because there are more rhyming poems than usual, I think. All the poems in here are really accessible even to primary-aged kids but would still be enjoyed by older kids, too. The poems are beautiful and wonderful and about my favorite topic--books!
Tamara
I love this book! Hopkins has gathered a lovely collection of reading themed poems, rich in figurative language and poetic devices. It has been on my "to-read" list for awhile, and I'm so glad I finally tracked it down. I Am the Book will be a great resource, starting at the beginning of the new year as we reflect on our journeys as readers and writers.
Morgan
Anyone who loves to read will enjoy this anthology of poems collected by Lee Bennett Hopkins from authors and poets such as Jane Yolen, Naomi Shihab Nye, and Karla Kuskin. Each delightful poem describes the wonder and joy of reading and each page is filled by Yayo’s vibrant and whimsical illustrations. For readers age 6 and up.
Liz
Finally read all of these too... Really, what was I waiting for? Liked them very much. Loved a few, especially the ones about poems... and Avis Harley's This Book poem, too. Thank you Lee Bennett Hopkins for all of the great poetry collections you have produced!!!

Okay... really it's a 4.5!!!
Miri
Who's Rich? - Naomi Shihab Nye

Who's rich?
The boy with a book he hasn't read yet.
The girl with a tower of books by her bed.
She opens and opens and opens.
Her life starts everywhere.

Who's rich?
Anyone befriended again & again
by a well-loved book.

This is a wealth
we never lose.
Sandy Brehl
Poetry anthology selected by Lee Bennet Hopkins (does it get any better?). Each poem is a reflection or celebration about books- their function in our lives, subjects, emotions, etc. In short, a perfect book about books! Pair with BookSpeak: Poems About Books, by Laura Purdie Salas.
Michelle Nero
A book of poems about books and poems! So many great poems to share and read aloud.

Book

Chapter One
Till The End

Closing the cover
I sigh --

Good-bye, friend.
Diane
"Books are such mind-thrilling spine-tingling friends" A line from the Poem "This Book" by Avis Harley. Just one of thirteen poems about the joy of books and reading. I'll be using this book with my students this year as I try to add more poetry to my library time.
Christine
As a poetry book about books (and I love books) this one was okay. Some of the poems I loved, such as "When I Read", and others were a bit abstract for me. The illustrations, also a bit abstract, were a good fit for the poems but some left me scratching my head.
Heather
The beautiful illustrations and the enchanting poems helped make this a fun read. Anybody who loves books would enjoy this since it's a tribute to the wonder of reading. I believe there's a poem for everyone in here. It was excellent.
Deanna
Poems seemed forced, at times, and the illustrations were not my style making this kind of a dud IMHO. Just didn't do it for me. A better choice (also published in 2011) is Book Speak! Poems About Books by Laura Purdie Salas.
Karen
The selections are nice as always (LBH does a great job of picking poems), but the subject - much as I love books! - is just a little bit too underwhelming by itself, likely to only attract bibliophiles.
Kellee
A book celebrating the love of books. I want to share this with all of my book loving friends.

My favorite is "I am the Book" by Tom Robert Shields or "Book" by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater
Stan
What's not to love in a book of poems about reading? Great poems, not so endearing illustrations. My favorite poems were Wonder Through the Pages, and What Was That?
Angie
FUN!

I think my favorite might have been A Poem Is by Jane Yolen. Or maybe Who's Rich by Naomi Shihab Nye. Or This Book by Avis Harley.

It's hard to decide.
Nancy
The illustrations quite winsome, the poems, alas, rather flat -- too meta, too chipper. (Books! YAY) Exception: Jane Yolen's nimble definition of what "A Poem Is."
Becky
This is a great collection of poems about books, reading and poetry. A must have for book loving people (especially those who interact with children).
Ian
a nice little book about .... books, most of the poems treat books as humans. Particularly liked the Rich poem with the picture of my brother and his dog
katsok
I will be buying this wonderful book. All of the poems are by different well known poets, my favorite being the one from the title.
Karen Arendt
I particularly liked the final poem titled "Book" by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater who lives in Holland, NY where my husband grew up!
  • BookSpeak!: Poems about Books
  • Roots and Blues: A Celebration
  • Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems
  • I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American Slavery
  • Follow Follow: A Book of Reverso Poems
Amazing Faces Sharing the Seasons: A Book of Poems City I Love Nasty Bugs Oh, No! Where Are My Pants? and Other Disasters: Poems