Start by marking “The Separation of Church and State: Writings on a Fundamental Freedom by America's Founders” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Now in paperback, a primer of essential writings about one of the cornerstones of our democracy by the original authors of the Constitution, edited by preeminant liberal theologian Forrest Church.

Americans will never stop debating the question of church-state separation, and such debates invariably lead back to the nation’s beginnings and the founders’ intent. The Separati
Published May 3rd 2011 by Beacon Press (first published August 9th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Separation of Church and State, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Separation of Church and State

Matt
During my lifetime the so-called “culture war” has seen a debate about if the United States was founded as a Christian nation or not, however it turns out that this debate occurred during the nation’s founding. In The Separation of Church and State: Writings on a Fundamental Freedom by America’s Founders the issue of religious liberty and if the United States was a Christian nation was presented in 14 chapters of original writings of Founding Fathers and other Americans of the Revolutionary peri ...more
Erika RS
Finished The Separation of Church and State: Writings on a Fundamental Freedom by America's Founders edited by Forrest Church. This short book contains extracts of revolutionary era writings about the separation of church and and state. Favorites such as Thomas Jefferson and George Washington make an appearance as do less well known writers such as Isaac Backus and Oliver Ellsworth.

"Separation of church and state" is a phrase that is bandied around without knowledge of its historical origins. Fi
Lance
Jun 07, 2012 Lance rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've ever wondered why those hippies are always pushing the "Separation of Church and State," after reading this book you'll understand.

I found this work to be fun to read, well reasoned, and in some ways a position changer. Knowing why the issue ever came up in our nations beginnings makes me appreciate even more why we, unlike Europe, have the system we do.

Our system is a precious gift, one that the political "right" should be hard core about saving. That it has put itself on the wrong si
Michael
Apr 22, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a collection of writings on the topic from our forefathers. It clearly shows the church-state seperation was intentional, even no mention of God in our constitution. George Washington, James Madison, Thomas Jefferson and even the evangelical leaders of the day wanted this seperation.
Brandi Denson
Jan 19, 2012 Brandi Denson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how this subject is debatable. This collection of writings by our forefathers makes their intentions very clear.
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Vanessa Dettmore
Vanessa Dettmore marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Maggie
Maggie added it
Jan 26, 2016
Wendy Chumley garland
Wendy Chumley garland marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Dan Jones
Dan Jones is currently reading it
Sep 22, 2015
David S. Borges
David S. Borges rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Donna Gabbard
Donna Gabbard marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Deborah Wilson
Deborah Wilson marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Bruce Fred Knotts
Bruce Fred Knotts rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Bert Nagel
Bert Nagel rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Birdie
Birdie rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Desmond
Desmond marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Les Gehman
Les Gehman marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Heath Böddie
Heath Böddie marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
205194
Rev. Forrest Church served for almost three decades as senior minister and was minister of public theology at All Souls Unitarian Church in New York City. He wrote or edited twenty-five books, including Love & Death.
More about Forrest Church...