Start by marking “Death Is A Cabaret” as Want to Read:
Death Is A Cabaret

Death Is A Cabaret (Antique Lover #1)

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  257 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Since Jeff Talbot left the FBI, he's been investigating yard sales as a professional antique picker. And though he prefers finding hidden treasures to finding hidden bodies, he discovers that for some collectors, the right item can be worth killing for-like a one-of-a-kind French cabaret set.

"A deft blend of mystery [and] mayhem." (Harlan Coben)
Published (first published November 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Death Is A Cabaret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Is A Cabaret

Sally906
Dec 21, 2015 Sally906 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is the first book in the ‘Antique Lovers’ mystery series. Jeff Talbot left the FBI and became a professional antique picker. This means he looks for antiques for customers rather than himself. Jeff travels to an island to attend an auction where he thinks that a particular cabaret tea set which he is after for a client is to going to be up for sale. On the first night a fellow picker is murdered and Jeff helps with the investigation.

I really liked Jeff and his wife’s illness was very belie
Steve
Feb 27, 2015 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Talbot is a former FBI man who now works as an antique picker. He opens by crossing paths contentiously with a fellow Seattle-area picker. In search of a rare tea set he’d long sought for an antiques seller he particularly likes, Talbot travels to Mackinac for a convention. Once there, he meets other convention-goers, makes a friend or two, and thinks he has seen the fellow picker from Seattle. Then someone is killed, then someone else dies under curious circumstances. Talbot turns on his i ...more
Moondance
It was something you didn't often see on the expressway: a factory-condition '48 Chevy woodie, glossy black-it had, easily, twenty coats of paint-with gleaming wooden side panels from which came its nickname, and whitewalls like new ivory.

Usually a sentence like that will keep me from reading a book. I'm so glad it didn't. Jeff Talbot is a former FBI agent now working as a professional picker for antiques. Frank Hamilton is Jeff's chief rival. Frank is obnoxious and seem to turn up like a bad pe
Ed
Mar 15, 2014 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#1 in the Antique Lover's Mystery series. This 2001 debut novel by author Deborah Morgan (wife of mystery/western author, Loren D. Estleman) was a Finalist 2002 Barry Award for Best Paperback. The series features Jeff Talbot, an ex-FBI agent turned antiques picker. The novel is loaded with antiques lore and shines a light on the obscure profession of antiques "picker", one who travels about looking for pearls among dross.

Antique Lover's Mystery - Since Jeff Talbot left the FBI, he's been a prof
Margaret
Nov 01, 2012 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this first book in a new series that is deep into antiques with murder. Set on Mackinac Island where I have been and in Seattle which always seems to be an interesting city in books, so I will look for more of them. Jeff is a genuine good guy, and it will be interesting to see how the characters develop.
Anastasia
Death is a Caberet by Deborah Morgan is the first book in the Antique Lovers mystery series. Ex FBI agent and now professional antique picker Jeff Talbot travels to attend an auction where a caberet tea set which he is after for a client is to be sold. A fellow antique hunter is murdered and he becomes entwined in the investigation. An interesting book which I enjoyed very much despite not being an antique lover myself. It was interesting to read about the history of the items and I learnt a bit ...more
Connie
Feb 05, 2012 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DEATH IS A CABARET by Deborah Morgan is 220 pages in paperback form. It is #1 in An Antique Lover's Mystery. Its main character is Jeff Talbot, an ex FBI man.

Brief Description:

ONE MAN'S JUNK IS ANOTHER MAN'S MOTIVE.

Since Jeff Talbot left the FBI, he's been investigating yard sales as a professional antiques picker. From furniture to books, from old clothes to broken toys, nothing escapes his keen eye for appraisal. But there is one, item that he always keeps his knowing eyes particularly peeled
Connie N.
This is the first in the Antique Lover's Mysteries, and it was a very good cozy. I thought at first that it was going to be slow since there was no murder until about a third of the way into the book. But then things picked up considerably, and I ended up being very happy with this mystery. There's a lot of background info about antiques, particularly the collections that our main characters is interested in. And there was quite a bit of historical background since the main search in the book wa ...more
Marti
Jan 11, 2014 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this case, a cabaret is not a nightclub, but rather a set of expensive porcelain. This might be classified as murder light--several deaths, but not a lot of violence. Jeff Talbot has a wife who has become an agoraphobic, so she doesn't travel with him from Seattle to Mackinac Island in Michigan for an important antique auction. Jeff is a picker and hopes to bid successfully on a porcelain tea set which belonged to Napoleon's wife, Josephine, because the family of the antique dealer he works f ...more
Ella's Gran
Retired FBI agent turned professional antiques picker attends an antiques auction with hopes of bidding for a cabaret set (tea set) but ends up helping local police in solving two murders.

The murder/mystery action doesn't really start until almost half-way through the book. The first half introduces the quite interesting characters, tells their back-stories, fills the reader in on antiques lore and the profession of pickers. Then the action begins at the venue for the auction with the first of t
Larry
Jun 09, 2015 Larry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book and look forward the other books in the series.

Reminds me of Booked To Die and the Cliff Janeway series.
Joan
Aug 22, 2012 Joan rated it liked it
This is the first book in the Antique Lover's Mystery series. Both the premise and the characters have potential, but the plot drags in parts. Jeff Talbot is a retired FBI agent who has turned his passion for antiques into a business. He retired early from the FBI for a little peace and quiet with his wife who suffers from agoraphobia and cannot leave their home. His antique buying trip to Mackinac Island is anything but peaceful and quiet. Jeff finds himself using his FBI skills once again when ...more
Naticia
Feb 16, 2015 Naticia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, american, cozy
A perfect cozy mystery, complete with likeable characters, an exciting plot, beautiful descriptions, and just enough information about antiques to keep this novice interested without getting bored. I will definitely be looking for others in the series!
library goddess
Light read with some interesting facts about antiques. I will probably read some more in the series just to see how the characters develop.
Ashley
Mar 02, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good who done it.
It was a good lite read to try between bigger novels.
Nancy
Oct 10, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This first book in An Antique Lover’s Mystery is a charm. Antique picker Jeff Talbot checks into a resort on Mackinac Island to attend an important auction. Determined to bid on an antique tea set once owned by Napoleon’s Josephine, he is stunned to see some faces among the crowd that he knows. When dead bodies start showing up, he learns these people weren’t what they seemed. Can he win the bid on the valuable set for his employer and find a killer before someone else turns up dead?
Linda
Jan 04, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reading. I really liked the whole background for this series...Jeff Talbot, the main character, is an antique picker-former FBI agent and his beloved wife is an agorophobic shut-in. Very different slant. Although this whole mystery took place within 48 hours it seemed slow-moving to me, probably because of all the descriptive writing and antique background, which is a good thing. I found it really enjoyable, and was glad to see that there are several more books in the series.
Melissa
Feb 12, 2012 Melissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2008
Book #25 read in 2008

I found this book very uninteresting. The topic of antiquing is unfamiliar to me, and I don't think I followed a lot of the details of the practice very well. While I liked the main character, I was confused by some of the secondary characters. Also, the reveal made me say "huh?" and I had to look back in the story to see if I missed something. There were no clues or leads to help me, as a reader, solve the crime. I will not read any more by this author.
Victoria
This isn't great literature but I've never claimed to feast only on books acclaimed by The New York Times or whatever. I enjoy the light mysteries centered on B&Bs, knitting, catering, cooking with herbs, etc. Don't personally know much about antiques so I enjoyed the knowledge I picked up reading this. And it was fun sleuthing too.
Kelly
Mar 07, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2010
This is probably not a book I would have picked to read, but listening to it was just right. The mystery was just unexpected enough to surprise me. The characters are interesting and fleshed out enough to make me want to know them better. Also, Ms. Morgan has included a lot of information about antiques; some real and some created for the book. But the list of references at the end of the book is useful if you want to learn more.
Andrea Stoeckel
Jan 01, 2014 Andrea Stoeckel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Note: this was my final book of 2013)

A nice cisy mystery on a snowy winter's night. One that teaches you something AND makes you care about the characters. I'd like to consider Jeff Talbot and his friends some of my new friends this past year.
Tribefan
Dec 14, 2007 Tribefan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cozy Mystery Readers
I have discovered yet another author to add to my list. Just what I needed! LOL This is a wonderful start to a new series for me. I love that fact that one of the main characters has a debilitating social illness. I too have the same illness just not the that extreme, thank God!!! Plan to read more by this author!
Leslie
Nov 03, 2010 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting peek at the antiques world and, oddly enough, the life of an agoraphobic. The setting of Mackinaw Island was unusual and the formality, dress codes, and characters were quirkily fun. Deborah Morgan's writing style makes the book seem a bit old fashioned.
Elizabeth Webber
I love cozy mysteries but I'm not a huge antiques buff. Still, this was a good story with interesting characters. I was even caught off guard by the resolution :)
Lynn Hirshman
Dec 26, 2013 Lynn Hirshman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable, well-written mystery with a likable protagonist with an interesting personal life -- and LOTS of information about antiques.
Sandi
An OK mystery set in the world of antiques. It passed the time but I am probably not going to go out of my way to pick up the next in the series. Listened to the audio version which was read by the very bland Reed McColm.
Margaret
Wanted to like it (Michigan author). Couldn't. Strange, clunky mystery that reads like a (bad) throwback to the '50s. I finished it last week and can't even remember now the solution to the mystery, I so didn't care.
Dayle
Jan 04, 2014 Dayle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
If you like mysteries and antiques this series of books are right for you . Good story with lots of fun information about antiques.
Kate
Jun 05, 2012 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version of this book. The characters were flat and the prose struck me as amateurish. Maybe this writer develops in later books but I would pass on this one.
Olgalijo
Aug 09, 2015 Olgalijo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Typical ex-FBI agent turned into something else. So to give it one more turn of the screw he has an agoraphobic wife. Really? Total suspension of incredulity crasher....
  • Chihuahua of the Baskervilles (Gigi Chihuahua Mystery #1)
  • Flowerbed of State (A White House Gardener Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Stuff (Jane Wheel, #1)
  • The Case of the Roasted Onion (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie, #1)
  • The Best American Poetry 2001
  • Leaden Skies (Silver Rush, #3)
  • A Bespoke Murder
  • A Dose of Death (Helen Binney Mysteries #1)
  • Dead as a Scone (A Royal Tunbridge Wells Mystery #1)
  • Dolled Up for Murder (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery, #7)
  • 1858: Abraham Lincoln, Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, Ulysses S. Grant and the War They Failed to See
  • Three Bedrooms, Two Baths, One Very Dead Corpse
  • Dial C For Chihuahua (Barking Detective #1)
  • Shadows At The Fair (Antique Print, #1)
  • Death with All the Trimmings (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #5)
  • Boiled Over (A Maine Clambake Mystery, #2)
  • Forget Me Knot (A Quilting Mystery, #1)
  • The Witness at the Wedding (Fethering, #6)

Antique Lover (5 books)
  • The Weedless Widow (Antique Lover, #2)
  • The Marriage Casket (Antique Lover, #3)
  • Four on the Floor (Antique Lover, #4)
  • The Majolica Murders (Antique Lover, #5)