Start by marking “The Body Departed” as Want to Read:

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  750 ratings  ·  87 reviews
Two years ago, a man broke into James Blakely's apartment and shot him in his sleep. Twelve times, killing him instantly. Dead and confused, James discovers he has a choice: he can move on into the afterlife, or he can stay behind. Unfortunately, since James has done some very bad things, moving on into the afterlife can only mean one thing: the fires of Hell. Or so he thi ...more
Nook, 220 pages
Published October 11th 2010 by J.R. Rain (first published November 12th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Body Departed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body Departed

K.M. Montemayor
James is a thirty-something ghost haunting his old apartment building. He is afraid to pass on because he is sure he is going to go to hell. He doesn't know why. In J.R. Rain's universe ghosts have severe memory problems. When his former music teacher is murdered, he believes solving her murder could be the key to getting into heaven.

Along the way James meets Jacob, a young ghost, Pauline a medium, Eli a murderer, and sees the death of his music teacher through another ghost's eyes. He must put
Carol
Not as good as I expected it to be. I expected more of a Stephen King type thriller, but this book had a very simple plot, and toward the end it turned oddly geological, & kind of reminded me of The Shack. I also never quite was sold on the narrated-by-a-ghost thing. Was sort of like reading an episode of Ghost Whisperer.
cEe beE
If I were religious, I would find this quite touching and inspirational. But since I'm not, it's just an interesting and ok supernatural mystery that is a cross between the films, The 6th Sense and Ghost.
Cathy Ryan
I was caught up in this story immediately. I hadn't read J R Rain before but the storyline and concept intrigued me.

The story is told from the perspective of James who was murdered and is now a ghost. He knows he did something bad but has no idea why he was murdered and feels he has to find out who and why before the memories of his life and who he is fade away completely. He has help from a medium, Pauline, who can see and communicate with him.

James needs to work through some things and make am
Kanni
Too bad Goodreads doesn't allow half stars because this is better than a regular three, but still not quite a full four rating. Of the other investigative stories I've read by this author, I enjoyed this one the most.

Generally, the common theme in Rain's novels is crime solving private investigators for hire with a paranormal twist. The paranormal spectrum ranges from vampires and werewolves to present day Elvis (alive after faking his death) while this particular story centers around ghosts wi
Dee
This is a whodunit with a twist: the case investigator is himself a murder victim--a ghost. This throws quite a monkey wrench into the business of investigating, because ghosts have a hard time remembering things, important things, like who they are. And they have a hard time with time itself, drifting in and out of ordered existence like, well, wraiths.

Narrated in first person, we first meet our ghost as he watches his 8-year old daughter sleep. Her aura colors for him, stretches to greet him,
Mary
I've had this book sitting in my TBR list for quite a while and finally got around to reading it. First of all, I am a big J.R. Rain fan. I haven't read all of his books but I have read a lot of them and I love the way he writes. The books flow easily and before you know it, you're at the last page, wanting more- I always want more of his stories. (Part of the reason the books fly by is that they are on the shorter side compared to others, I will admit that.) One reason I love Rain's books is th ...more
Tina

The Body Departed

I read some of the reviews before I got this book and the complaint that it was more theological than mystery. I have to assume these reviewers had not read J R Rain before. Theological themes are present in all of his books to some degree - just consider Jack in the Knighthorse series. that being said, there was more of a religious component to The Body Departed than in previous Rain works that I have read. This was still a good ghost story told from the ghost
Sarah (LF Book Reviews)
The Body departed is about a ghost, he doesn't remember much from his life and he evens struggles to remember his name sometimes. He believes he is going hell, but can't remember why. With the help of a medium, he has to try and fix the problems he caused when he was alive if he has any hope of going to heaven.

The main character is called James, he's the ghost. As a character, he is okay, but he doesn't grab me. To me, he's not very exciting and if it wasn't for the story line, I probably wouldn
Kat Lebo
by J.R. Rain

Rain's Samantha Moon series is a favorite of mine. I'm always nervous when reading works by an author of a series I love, fearful that I'll be disillusioned of the author's greatness because I'm unhappy without the series character I've grown to love.

Not so with this stand alone from the strange but inventive mind of J.R. Rain.

The storyline, which follows the journey of a murdered man in his quest for redemption and final peace, is intriguingly different from any ot
Doreen
Once again I find myself saying "I love love love this book!" But this one is truly heart-warming and makes you think. I want to say so much, but then it would contain huge spoilers and I want everybody to read this for themselves. Truly unique.
Marilyn Groves
James Blakely has been dead for two years, murdered in his sleep. His ghost is confined to the apartment building where he lived and died, but he is losing his memories. Lucky for him, his daughter still lives in the apartment building, as well as a medium that connects with him.

James isn't ready to cross over; he feels there is something he needs to do before moving on. He doesn't quite know why, but he is afraid that he'll be relegated to hell unless he takes care of.... something.

An intriguin
D.A.
I had never heard of J. R. Rain before reading this book, but the synopsis of The Body Departed intrigued me so much that I downloaded it via the Kindle, and I was not disappointed. It was a very fast, short read that kept me in the deliciously in the dark and turning pages. Since it is written from James' point of view, the main character, we only know and see what he knows and sees. The way in which Rain wrote this book is very effective in keeping the mystery alive and the reader guessing. My ...more
Cyn Bagley
by J.R. Rain

I first had the opportunity to read this book last year on my kindle. I had been getting tired of the same authors and wanted to find someone new and fresh. Since the book was not too expensive, I took chance to read it.

It was serendipity. After I read this one, I went searching for more of Rain's books. At this review, I have read all of his Knighthorse, and Vampire Moon books. But this ghost story is very special.

The story starts after our ghost has been dead for
SenoraG
James Blakely was murdered two years ago and ever since he has been a troubled spirit "haunting" the apartment building that he lived in. He gets to visit with his daughter at night while she is sleeping and he spirit is open to his. He is great friends with Pauline, the medium in the building who drinks a little too much, but who wouldn't dealing with the dead all day! James is convinced he is going to hell but maybe there is a way for him to change things around. Gotta read the book to find ou ...more
Willow Brook
Really interesting story of James, who was murdered 2 years earlier but remains on Earth as a ghost. He is convinced he will go to Hell if he crosses over because he did something very bad...except he can't remember what he did, exactly. Unable to leave the apartment building where he was killed, James likes to spend time with by his daughter or chatting with a neighbor/friend who is a medium. One day while reading the newspaper over the shoulder of another neighbor, he sees that his music teach ...more
Marti
This was another free download from Amazon, so I didn't necessarily have terribly high hopes as I approached this novel. I needen't have worried. This was a lovely book to have read during Holy Week. As the book opens, we meet James, who has recently been murdered. James has declined the opportunity to go into the light so far because he is convinced that he will wind up in Hell. One problem is, though, that he knows he did something really bad but he doesn't remember what it was. As it turns ou ...more
Marti
Tonya (My Family's Heart)
I love paranormal books but I really enjoyed this one. Your emotions will range from laughter to crying to happiness to caring with each turn of the page.

The story of James a ghost stuck here on earth with unfinished business visiting his daughter at night and talking to a medium while trying to figure out just how he will keep himself from hell. After the death of his most favorite school teacher James gets his medium friend to help him. He knows he has to do something and that it also just mig
Paula Gagnon Houwen
Some Truth to it

When writing about what a ghost sees or feels, one must be on shaky ground. I was initially upset by a child supposedly having red flares in her aura whenever her father was about. I couldn't accept that (red being IMHO an angry color), and it made me take the story with a grain of salt.

At the end are wonderful miracles that gave me much to think over. In the final analysis, I'm glad I read it.
Russ
Intriguing perspective

I found this short book fascinating. It explores the thoughts and activities of a ghost and some of his ghost friends in a stirring and charming way. Of necessity the author has created some rules for the ghost characters and a medium and manages to hold to them while telling an endearing story. Quite creative.
Sue
I thought this book was very entertaining. It has ghosts in it but not bad spooky ghosts.

The book is good. It is not scary but tells a good story. I liked how J R Rain gets the characters of the book together to find the underlying reason for what happened. It is funny is some spot and sad in others but overall a very entertaining story.
Nikki Wilde
This started off with James who's passed on but hasn't crossed over. He was murdered and is afraid of crossing. He feels that he must find his murderer and set things right before he is doomed to hell.

To be honest the write up on the back didn't even begin to cover what happens to James. I really enjoyed this story. I found that it dealt with death and crossing over very diplomatically. It wasn't completely in your face or pushing you into one belief or another. I found that very refreshing.

I
Dascha
Jan 17, 2011 Dascha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal fans, book club readers
Shelves: paranormal
An enjoyable, quick yet thought-provoking read! 2 years ago James was murdered in his sleep. Convinced he was going to hell for all the very bad things he'd done while living he chooses to remain "earthbound" in his afterlife to try to "redeem" himself for his wrong-doings. I found this fascinating with intriguing twists. A murder mystery, but not just his, but another that leads to a shocking discovery. Great book club Book! Lots to discuss! (and I'm not a book-club person but this book just ha ...more
Alice
Honestly, I thought this would be a mystery when I hit buy, based on the sample. Having just finished it, in the drive thru of a Chik-Fil-A nonetheless, I'm not sure what it is at all. Absolutely not what I was expecting, but maybe something I needed. It's not a fantastic little book, but it's one that I'll think about for a while.

Shane
1.5/5. Not much to be said about this. Quick enough read to get through in a day, with a decent start, but quickly decends into nonsense in my opinion, with one part being completely ridiculous. Contast reminders of being a Ghost are annoying, and just feel pointless.
Bookertee
Love this book.

Had great LOL moment, love the message.
Spiritual but not clogging.
I never had an outright LOL like this while reading the ghost detective part.
The story of forgiveness, first you must forgive yourself.
Highly recommended.
Gabriele Ott

Loved reading this after I had come across "Elvis has not left the building" by accident and had enjoyed the writing style of JR Rain. Very descriptive, playing with words and language, developing a story and it's characters with much attention to detail, fantasy and creativity.

"Body departed" did not disappoint! I could not put the book down and read it in 3 days. It's a story about guilt, shame, coming to grips with the past, forgiving, unconditional love and spirituality. If you ever wonder
Carmen Medina
Wonderful very good read

This book is a good read from the beginning to the end. Every detail is exactly what I believe. I cried at the end. Thank you for writing this book. It's what I've been looking for.
Shandra Dayton prowell
This is a good, theologically thought provoking little book. I liked it very much. Even though I don't agree with some of the theology it was a beautiful story of forgiveness and Love (granted, there are some gross parts, too).
  • The Dead Love Longer
  • The Wedding Gift
  • Haunting Refrain
  • Asylum Lake
  • Cades Cove: The Curse of Allie Mae (Cades Cove, #1)
  • Got Thrills? A Boxed Set
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Halloween is for Lovers
  • Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Niki Slobodian, #1)
  • Asylum (Birch Harbor, #1)
  • Gemini Moon
  • Dead Spell
  • Dead to the Max (Max Starr, #1)
  • The Stranger Beside You
  • Silas
  • Dream Walker (Paperback)
I'm an ex-private investigator now writing full-time in the Pacific Northwest, where I live in a small house on a small island with my small dog, Sadie, who has more energy than Robin Williams.

As a kid I was always making stuff: skates, skateboards, skimboards, skis, sleds, clothing, furniture, wood carvings, Easter baskets, comic books, you name it. I was the mother of all nerds. Anyway, I think
More about J.R. Rain...
Moon Dance (Vampire for Hire, #1) Vampire Moon (Vampire for Hire, #2) American Vampire (Vampire for Hire, #3) Moon Child (Vampire for Hire, #4) Vampire Dawn (Vampire for Hire, #5)

“reached down through the closed wooden lid and struck a key. A minor key, I think.” 0 likes