Start by marking “Dark Lady's Chosen ” as Want to Read:
Dark Lady's Chosen

Dark Lady's Chosen (Chronicles of the Necromancer #4)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  2,527 ratings  ·  66 reviews
Treachery and blood magic threaten King Martris Drayke’s hold on the throne he risked everything to win. As the battle against a traitor lord comes to its final days, war, plague and betrayal bring Margolan to the brink of destruction. The price to save his kingdom may be the lives of those he loves most—and his soul.

Civil war looms in Isencroft, and Cam of Cairnrach may
ebook, Original Cover-Art
Published December 14th 2009 by Double Dragon Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dark Lady's Chosen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Lady's Chosen

Lucinda
The stunning conclusion to an epic series, which has captured the very essence of what is cherished within the fantasy genre & given a contemporary twist!

I cannot enthuse enough about Gail Z Martin’s spectacular epic fantasy series ‘the chronicles of the necromancer’, which has brought such a fresh and original look at imaginative creativity ad vision – gifted to us readers. In this last installment wherein the mystery and secrets are unraveled and the pieces of the plot come together, one
Corey Frampton
The fourth book in the Chronicles of the Necromancer series.

The series is fantastic - it breathes life back into the high fantasy, swords and sorcery genre that has gotten a bad reputation from some of the more plodding and slow moving authors.

Dark Lady's Chosen is a good example of how the series flows. It's fast paced and intense, all the way through. Within the first 50 pages, there are massive battles and bloody fights, revenge oaths and even one man selling his soul.

That said, this book
Var
There's something with Gail Z. Martin's books. I like the setting, the characters (though a bit too much love, everybody getting married and pregnant and the main character is not my favorite). I like the way the author creates suspense. But then sometimes there are so many repetitions while describing situations, feelings and appearances that I think Gail doesn't trust her readers' memory. It's then when I wonder why I'm reading this particular book.

Repetitions might be OK for a debut, and that
Dianna
I finished the 3rd book around midnight and was so into the story that I stayed up till 5 am reading and finishing the last book of the series. It did not disappoint! All of the main characters made it out alive, though perhaps worse for the wear, and the sense of despair and wonder that the book could ever end well that I felt as I was reading was all resolved satisfactorily for the most part. Some of the romance seemed a bit abrupt, but character development was spot on and characters stayed i ...more
Stephen Holmes
This was a wonderful book. It wrapped up everything from the previous book very nicely, and left room for more books in the series. One thing I did find, was that it felt like the book had ended 3/4 of the way through. Not much of a problem since Martin continued the story masterfully.

All in all I would say that anyone who has read the previous three books from the series will not be disappointed, and it is nice to have the author wrap things up nicely so that while I am looking forward to anoth
Brandon Landers
So basically, Gail's books in her Chronicles of the Necromancer continuity can be grouped into two separate duologies. A duology of duologies if you will. I have unfortunately at this time not read The Summoner, but I read the Blood King because the premise intrigued me and I didn't see the first book when I was buying. I very much enjoyed The Blood King. But from what I have read, Gail has the tendency in all her books thus far to spend the first book building the world and setting up all the p ...more
Suzanne
At least one year fell between reading Dark Haven and picking up Dark Lady's Chosen, which can be quite daunting considering the large amount of plot that Martin puts into these stories. However, her quick and very dense summary threw me back into the midst of this world with no problem.

I like Martin's writing style, and the world she's created is unique. While the intrigue is fairly predictable, and there's always a happy ending - sort of - the books are well written and great fun.
Alex Connolly
Though there are no spoilers for this book, this book contains spoilers from books one, two and three. You have been warned!!! (It's also early on in the review.)

***

The next book in this (seeming interminable) series is the continuation and arguable conclusion of what occurred in book 3, Dark Haven. We see the end of the plot to kill Kiara, the result of the War with Curane, the fate of Cam of Cairnrach as well as the fate of Dark Haven itself- an ending wound up with the lives of Jonmarc and Ca
colleen the contrarian  ± (... never stop fighting) ±
Mar 06, 2010 colleen the contrarian ± (... never stop fighting) ± rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All fans of 'traditional' fantasy (and even those tired of it)
I had wanted to finish this book by the end of the weekend. When I first started it, I thought it would take me at least until then to get through its 595 pages, but those pages went by quickly and last night I found myself unable to put it down despite my tiredness and my various renditions of "just one more chapter". Ms. Martin once again weaves a tale which captivates and compells you to find out what happens, not because it's really all that original, but because the characters are so real a ...more
Jimmy
I really liked this book, and I’m glad that I didn’t give up on the series. I had a difficult time getting into it with the first 2 books, but books 3 & 4 are awesome! I highly recommend them.
There is so much overwhelming conflict going on that has built over the course of the series, and Gail Martin is able to guide the reader through the incredible, insane, tangled maze with professional ease. In my opinion, I’m doubtful that the Winter Kingdoms will ever see peace in Tris and Kiara’s ti
Craig
I very much enjoyed the fourth installment in this excellent series. I think of the four, not my favourite one, but enough magic, wars, vampires, werewolves, intrigue, etc to make it a great book to draw things to a calm point in the lives of Tris, Kiara and the others in the Winter Kingdoms. The trials for them all continue, and the battles are fought on all fronts, by all the main characters and the book continues at a fast pace throughout, seeing them all fight their own fights and try to ove ...more
Cody Gunnels
Chronicles of the Necromancer series

Chronicles of the Necrmancer is my second favorite series that i have read so far. Gail Z. Martin is an author that has an amazing ability to create interesting and believable characters. The chapters tend to switch between the main characters, and I find myself wanting to read more of that character, but also looking forward to reading about the character in the next chapter. In the The Summoner and Blood King, It switches between Tris and Jonmarc. Later, in
Anna Vc
Entertaining installment to the Chronicles of the Necromancer series. Action-packed and hard to put down. The book ends at a nice spot (i.e. I feel like I can go read other books and come back to this series later), but hints at interesting future installments to the series.
Karen
Dark Lady's Chosen is the 4th book of the Chronicles of the Necromancer. This book neatly tied up all the loose ends from the 3rd book.
Dan Rheingans
This last book of the Chronicles of the Necromancer couldn't come soon enough. While my perception of this book isn't as bad as the horrendous book 3, it is none-the-less a very trite, simplistic, unimaginative read. I was not impressed by Martin's storytelling, and I will not be reading any further books by her. Her characters are shallow, and the solutions to their problems just happen to fall into place. I was never surprised in this series, and this book is no different. I would not recommen ...more
Lisa King
The conclusion to another solid story over the course of two books.

All is not well in the kingdom of Margolan. The king continues to seige to his enemy's stronghold, Vahanian strives to prevent an all-out war and avenge his love, the queen continues to watch her back and tries to stay alive. Every single one of the characters we have followed so far in this series is in some way in mortal peril. It was a quick read and the pace held steady for the entire book.

It was a nice way to spend my time
Cathy
I really enjoyed how well everything wrapped up in this series. All the issues that appeared over the last three books came to a close, and while there would be room to pick up the series some years in the future, it doesn't feel like it needs to be. As usual, I felt there was an unbalance amount of time spent on build-up vs main scene action (ie, build up to the final battle at Lochlanimar vs how long the battle actually took). I wish there was a bit more time spent on final tie-ups. Overall it ...more
Horizon
Martin continues to keep the reader enthralled with the characters and enticed by the plot as the fourth book in this epic series sees almost everyone pushed to the brink of death and the kingdoms on the verge of destruction. Except for one passage that shows Jonmarc a vision of the future, this could be the final book in an adventure that started in book one and needed three more books to wrap up all of the ripples caused by the first stone. I look forward to more adventures in the Winter Kingd ...more
Bob
Patrice
This series is amazing. Given time, I average about 100 pages an hour reading these books. I could not help getting caught up in the characters and having to know what happened next. I really like all the main characters. Usually I'll have a favorite or too, but they are all excellent. It's also neat that while it's a continuing series, it appears to be written in sets of duologies. I look forward to reading more and cannot wait to read Martin's other series.
Michael Bartok
I've said it before and I'll say it again, The Necromancer series is totally a guilty pleasure for me. I've really enjoyed this series of books. There were some sections that drug on a little bit for me, most notably the parts about Kiara and her pregnancy, but I chalk that up more to my likes and dislikes than to anything Gail Martin did. All told, this whole series is a fun read and definitely worth the time for any fantasy fan.
Jeff
A stunning ending to an amazing series!
RuthAnn
I will start out by saying that I really like Gail Z. Martin. I think she's a fine author. I liked this book. All that being said, I think the Necromancer series could've been a trilogy versus four books. I was rooting for Tris and everyone else all along the way, but by the end of Book 3, I was just really tired of bad stuff happening to these folks. Four books seemed like a long time to wait for a happily ever after.
I really enjoyed this 4th book of the series. The flow of book was great since it was broken in to a Day by Day format. It was easier to follow all of the characters. I raced through some of the chapters to try and figure out what happened next to each character the next day. Even though most of the characters were separated from each other I enjoyed the way they wound up intertwined further through the story.
Rosilyne
Thoroughly enjoyable adventure fantasy, with characters that I've come to know in the series. These books are a pleasure, complicated enough and well-written enough to be interesting and engaging, but also a welcome escape into magic and epic battles (again) for our fearless heroes. I especially enjoy the strong women characters who can hold their own in a fight, be it arcane or physical.
AEriko
This was engaging, but not was good as the prior books in the series. Some of the characters acted like morons, which was frustrating. (view spoiler)
April
Compared to the first 3 books, this wasn't the best. The siege was drawn out way too long and the stories were too segregated between the main characters. Additionally the author's writing style and plot development didn't mature throughout the series, which made it a bit too simplistic of a read. Not sure whether I'll continue the series because of it.
Eric Krause
I love this series, and this book did nothing to make me think any different. This was a thrill ride all the way through. The characters had to go through so much, it made me root for them even harder. I'm hoping a new book from Ms. Martin comes soon. I highly recommend you check out the first three in this series so you can get to this one!
Bear
I really dig on these characters and the writing style, and this book was another good one. only one nagging complaint. the climax? could have been edited to read with much more punch and impact and holding on by the seat of our pants. just saying. i was a little let down by the way it was edited together. but all in all, this book was a keeper.
Lisa
I'm enjoying this series. Some of the plotlines are familiar, but there are Martin keeps them interesting. The end of this book dragged for me, but that may have been because I know there is another series with these characters, so I knew no one was going to be permanently dead by the time the book ended.

All in all, enjoyable.
  • The Usurper (King Rolen's Kin, #3)
  • Stormlord's Exile (Watergivers #3)
  • The Reluctant Mage (The Fisherman's Children, #2)
  • The Bone Palace (The Necromancer Chronicles, #2)
  • The Dusk Watchman (Twilight Reign, #5)
  • King's Wrath (Valisar, #3)
  • Blood of the Mantis (Shadows of the Apt, #3)
  • A Dance of Death (Shadowdance, #3)
  • The Light of Burning Shadows (Iron Elves, #2)
Gail Z. Martin discovered her passion for science fiction, fantasy and ghost stories in elementary school. The first story she wroteat age fivewas about a vampire. Her favorite TV show as a preschooler was Dark Shadows. At age 14, she decided to become a writer. She enjoys attending science fiction/fantasy conventions, Renaissance fairs and living history sites. She is married and has three childr ...more
More about Gail Z. Martin...
The Summoner (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #1) The Blood King (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #2) Dark Haven (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #3) The Sworn (Fallen Kings Cycle, #1) The Dread (Fallen Kings Cycle, #2)