Start by marking “It Takes a Hero” as Want to Read:
It Takes a Hero

It Takes a Hero (Danvers Family (Chronological order) #4)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  506 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Rebecca will have to take a page from her own book to keep the dashing Rafe Danvers from spoiling her success.

But how does one play hard-to-get with a man one cannot resist?

Rebecca Tate never intended to cause a revolution with her notoriously popular Miss Darby novels, merely to earn enough to support herself and her ailing uncle. But now it seems every eligible debuta
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about It Takes a Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Takes a Hero

LaFleurBleue
Mar 08, 2014 LaFleurBleue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start with a warning. This book is not a realistic historical romance, more of a romantic comedy set in past idealized times. The writing was still not perfect and neither was the editing job. One character's name kept changing from Throckmorten to Throckmorton, and that's just one example among others.
This story is very loosely inspired by the Moonstone of Wilkie Collins, which I had just started to read for the second time a few days ago. At a moment when I was reading the previous book
steph
This book made me laugh. Liked the premise (lady writer who has all of the Ton's daughters convinced they will never marry due to the death of her fictional hero and upset Mama's send Rafe after her in order to make HER STOP WRITING THOSE BOOKS SO MY DAUGHTER CAN MARRY)and all the characters were great -especially the mad Uncle and sixteen year old orphan who eats everything in sight. Would rec for those who want to laugh while reading.
Sara
Mar 01, 2016 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lot of fun. Our heroine writes borderline scandalous novels for ladies, and in her most recent novel, her heroine's love interest is tragically killed and so the subject of the book declares she will never marry. All of the young ladies of the ton, who follow these books almost religiously, make the same vow never to marry, which of course upsets their mothers. One of those mothers hires our hero, who works as sort of a private investigator, to find the author of these books and ...more
LibraryDanielle
May 26, 2013 LibraryDanielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I took off a full star for rebecca saying take me, please take me! seriously? that was the stupidest thing. and it wasn't said in irony, which I could have accepted, but in full seriousness. gak.
Raye
Not my favorite of the genre, this bodice-ripper is trying to do too much: romance, mystery, suspense. I liked the romance quite a bit, though parts of it felt as overwrought as the heroine's novels. But there were too many side characters introduced too quickly for the whodunnit to be as mysterious as it wants to be, and the suspense was brief and not very suspenseful. Sloppy editing (ring a peal, not ring a peel) added to the problems. Meh.
Agaughan68
Jan 16, 2016 Agaughan68 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this cast of characters. Of course she was the author!!! I did like how she spun the "hero" of her story to be a cad. That was a great way for Bex to continue to be a writer. I will probably read the other books with his brothers in them.
Rox
Aug 08, 2014 Rox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read anything from the Danver's but I got curious over Ms. Darby so I started reading this one. It was good, not exactly my favorite since Ms. Tate can be quite bossy but it was overall refreshing.
marieno
Mar 29, 2016 marieno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just read the Knave of Heart and found this book at the second-hand bookstore! The heroine being the author of the Miss Darby's novel, I couldn't not buy it. The pages of my book being on the yellow side and smelling like an old library; with a stamp from Annie's Book Stop in Wells, Maine (493km from where I am) fitted with the book's promise of adventures and treasure. I would have liked more adventure, more treasure, more Miss Darby (I thing I want to literally read a Miss Darby novel.) But ...more
Bebe Four
There was a lot going on here. I liked the second half much more, which is where the story somewhat unexpectedly changed direction.
Saral
Jun 07, 2015 Saral rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit slow paced for my taste but extremely funny!
Hazel
It's an amusing, entertaining read.
Lychee
Apr 07, 2008 Lychee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I laughed hard and repeatedly -- especially the first half. The story features an anonymous author of romance novels, one of the stories which has the unintended effect of having the debutantes on the marriage market vow not to get married, leading society matrons to hire the hero to track down the author and convince her to stop writing. Already checked out more of her books from the library.
Tabetha Waite
I love a book with a strong heroine, such as Rebecca in this story, but I almost felt, at times, that she was outshining the hero. I enjoy reading Elizabeth Boyle's novels, but I wasn't as impressed with this one as I am others. There were times I was a bit bored with the story and felt it was somewhat choppy in places :(
Vera
Dec 19, 2011 Vera rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a fun story, but I didn't like Rebecca that much. I thought she was a bit too stubborn, living in denial. I've read several books from Elisabeth Boyle, this isn't one of my favorites but I do recommend the other ones!
Shaula
Oct 30, 2012 Shaula rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not the author's fault, but the editing or the text conversion in this edition was terrible. The story and characters were fun and enjoyable.
Audrey02
Sep 25, 2011 Audrey02 rated it it was ok
I could not get into this book, which is weird because I really like Boyle's other works. Made it to page 60 in ebook, then quit.
Sherri Hunter
Very enjoyable story. Good characterization and plot development.
Karen
Feb 08, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars, really-- I liked the ending.
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Virginia
Virginia rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2016
Kathy
Kathy is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2016
Kim Otis
Kim Otis marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Layla
Layla rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Brittany Clelland
Brittany Clelland marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Jillian
Jillian rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Janae
Janae marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Vickie McCuiston
Vickie McCuiston rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Sarah added it
Jun 19, 2016
  • Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons, #5)
  • Hero, Come Back
  • Lady Be Bad (Merry Widows, #3)
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • One Little Sin (MacLachlan Family, #2)
  • An Indecent Proposition
  • Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight (The Duke's Daughters, #3; Windham, #6)
  • The Love Affair of an English Lord (Boscastle, #2)
  • The Earl of Her Dreams
19842
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.
More about Elizabeth Boyle...

Danvers Family (Chronological order) (5 books)
  • One Night of Passion (Danvers, # 1)
  • Stealing the Bride (Danvers, #2)
  • Once Tempted (Danvers, #3)
  • Hero, Come Back