Start by marking “It Takes a Hero” as Want to Read:
It Takes a Hero

It Takes a Hero (Danvers Family (Chronological order) #4)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Rebecca will have to take a page from her own book to keep the dashing Rafe Danvers from spoiling her success.

But how does one play hard-to-get with a man one cannot resist?

Rebecca Tate never intended to cause a revolution with her notoriously popular Miss Darby novels, merely to earn enough to support herself and her ailing uncle. But now it seems every eligible debuta
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about It Takes a Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Takes a Hero

Let me start with a warning. This book is not a realistic historical romance, more of a romantic comedy set in past idealized times. The writing was still not perfect and neither was the editing job. One character's name kept changing from Throckmorten to Throckmorton, and that's just one example among others.
This story is very loosely inspired by the Moonstone of Wilkie Collins, which I had just started to read for the second time a few days ago. At a moment when I was reading the previous book
This book made me laugh. Liked the premise (lady writer who has all of the Ton's daughters convinced they will never marry due to the death of her fictional hero and upset Mama's send Rafe after her in order to make HER STOP WRITING THOSE BOOKS SO MY DAUGHTER CAN MARRY)and all the characters were great -especially the mad Uncle and sixteen year old orphan who eats everything in sight. Would rec for those who want to laugh while reading.
I haven't read anything from the Danver's but I got curious over Ms. Darby so I started reading this one. It was good, not exactly my favorite since Ms. Tate can be quite bossy but it was overall refreshing.
Bebe Four
There was a lot going on here. I liked the second half much more, which is where the story somewhat unexpectedly changed direction.
A bit slow paced for my taste but extremely funny!
It's an amusing, entertaining read.
I laughed hard and repeatedly -- especially the first half. The story features an anonymous author of romance novels, one of the stories which has the unintended effect of having the debutantes on the marriage market vow not to get married, leading society matrons to hire the hero to track down the author and convince her to stop writing. Already checked out more of her books from the library.
Tabetha Waite
I love a book with a strong heroine, such as Rebecca in this story, but I almost felt, at times, that she was outshining the hero. I enjoy reading Elizabeth Boyle's novels, but I wasn't as impressed with this one as I am others. There were times I was a bit bored with the story and felt it was somewhat choppy in places :(
It's a fun story, but I didn't like Rebecca that much. I thought she was a bit too stubborn, living in denial. I've read several books from Elisabeth Boyle, this isn't one of my favorites but I do recommend the other ones!
I took off a full star for rebecca saying take me, please take me! seriously? that was the stupidest thing. and it wasn't said in irony, which I could have accepted, but in full seriousness. gak.
It is not the author's fault, but the editing or the text conversion in this edition was terrible. The story and characters were fun and enjoyable.
I could not get into this book, which is weird because I really like Boyle's other works. Made it to page 60 in ebook, then quit.
Sherri Hunter
Very enjoyable story. Good characterization and plot development.
3 1/2 stars, really-- I liked the ending.
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Tammie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Mirnaja marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Brenda Edwards
Brenda Edwards is currently reading it
Nov 06, 2015
Carolyne. marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
LizzieRose marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Monika marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Beiza added it
Oct 30, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Anita marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Les added it
Oct 01, 2015
  • Hero, Come Back
  • Her Highness, My Wife (Effingtons, #5)
  • Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)
  • Confessions of a Scoundrel (Talisman Ring, #2)
  • The Earl of Her Dreams
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • Seduced at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #3)
  • Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight (The Duke's Daughters, #3) (Windham, #6)
  • Lady Be Bad (Merry Widows, #3)
  • In the Barrister's Bed (Regency Barrister, #2)
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.
More about Elizabeth Boyle...

Danvers Family (Chronological order) (5 books)
  • One Night of Passion (Danvers, # 1)
  • Stealing the Bride (Danvers, #2)
  • Once Tempted (Danvers, #3)
  • Hero, Come Back