Start by marking “The Atheist's Bible” as Want to Read:
The Atheist's Bible

The Atheist's Bible

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  644 ratings  ·  57 reviews
"All thinking men are atheists," Ernest Hemingway famously wrote. True? Here are quips, quotes, and questions from a distinguished assortment of geniuses and jokers, giving readers a chance to decide for themselves....

When I think of all the harm [the bible] has done, I despair of ever writing anything to equal it.
Oscar Wilde

SAINT, n. A dead sinner revised and edited.
Ambro
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Atheist's Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Atheist's Bible

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I picked this up at the library with the intention of copying a few good quotes from it, but I liked it so much that I'll be buying my own copy. There is just too much good stuff in here.
I think some of the "believers" in this country would be surprised to see that many of the historical figures they revere did not at all share their religious beliefs!
E
Compilations of quotes can be fatiguing after the first twenty pages, but this compendium of sound-byte philosophy is relentlessly provocative. Being the sprawling, head-bumping and ultimately FREE herd of cats that atheists are, the quoted thinkers, dissidents, and entertainers are naturally discordant. For nearly every brilliantly concise argument, there is a painfully simplistic one, insinuating that editor Joan Konner's single, dogmatic tenant of atheism is that atheists by definition should ...more
Jasmine
"In some awful, strange, paradoxical way, atheists tend to take religion more seriously then the practitioners." -jonathan miller

"Well I don't think we're for anything. We're just products of evolution. You can say "Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose." But I'm anticipating having a good lunch" -james watson

"I will have nothing to do with your immortality; we are miserable enough in this life, without the absurdity of speculating upon another"-byron

Lisa Pletz
Several telling quotes from this delightful and thought-provoking book:

"Religious hatreds ought not be propagated at all, but certainly not on a tax-exempt basis."

- James Michener

"I'm frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.' Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even more an
Karolos Cwasdqwe
"Examine the religious principles which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded that they are any thing but sick men's dreams" —David Hume
Amanda
A fun and tiny collection of quotes from famous Atheists throughout history seperated into specific "books", including; the Book of Bertrand (Russell), Book of Thomas (Paine), and Book of Friedrich (Nietzsche), among others. A quick, humorous read.
Jason
Apr 20, 2008 Jason rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Quote fanatics
Shelves: religion-atheism
Forget Chicken Soup for the Soul. This book is way funnier, and way more reliable. Good for retorts.
Sancho
This book is a nice collection of smart and entertaining quotes from all kinds of people about... well, the title gives some hints: reason, curiosity, questioning authority, common sense and nature.

I think the editor made a great work, I am sure many will find inspiration in these quotes, as well as entertainment.

My favorite ones? (view spoiler)
Todd Martin
The Atheist's Bible is a short collection of atheistic quotes by such disparate individuals as Voltaire, Phillip K. Dick, Edward Abbey, Charlie Chaplin, the Dalai Lama, Thomas Paine, Emo Philips, Mohandas Gandhi and Richard Feynman among others as well as the standbys of Bertrand Russell, Robert Ingersoll, Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens.

I did have two problems with the text:
1. Some of the quotes were taken out of context. Several of the individuals were quite religious and
Jeff Kelleher
From Pliny to Pope, Voltaire to Vonnegut, Einstein to Eisenhower, plus the usual cast--Paine, Twain, Nietzsche, Russell, Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris, and many more--they're all here in one place. It's a one-hour education in atheist thought.

Yes, it's not original, or filled with context. It's a quotation book, for God's sake. And like one reviewer I wish there were more attribution. We get a lot of "prove he said that." But I don't doubt the quotes are genuine.

There are so many to choose from that
Lou
Nov 21, 2008 Lou rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: religion
Very fun jab at religion. Whereas religion takes a, "gimme a good answer, NOW," and then runs with it, atheism takes all answers, solicited or not, filters them through the intelligence we all have and then decides if we can take a stroll through the park. Further testing may determine that the idea is not what we once thought it was and the stroll comes to an end.

It's good. Marx's comment about religion being the opiate of the masses is right on target, frankly. If a government can convince the
Vanessa
I thought I was going to get tired of reading quote after quote...oddly enough it works perfectly with this subject. Most of the people I know are religious or believe in a God so it's always reassuring and refreshing to read awesome, brilliant quotes like these. I think I might have to buy a copy for myself.
Lea
"Religion is for people who are afraid to go to hell, whereas spirituality is for people like me who have been there." - Dave Mustaine, page 76

"I'm an atheist, and that's it. I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for other people." - Katherine Hepburn, page 88

"He who has made great moral progress ceases to pray." - Immanuel Kant, page 88

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good
GeekChick
This is a great collection of quotes regarding Christianity and religion. The title is a bit overboard, though. Quote books don't usually do it for me, but I like this one. The author even makes an attempt to be balanced by including chapters intended to show that atheists can be just as dogmatic as those they oppose. A great source of quotes for your signature block, holiday letter, or any time you want to make an eloquent point in this subject arena.

I didn't finish the whole thing, but it is t
Bev Kangas
A fun read with a smattering of interesting and humorous quotes.
Fred Kohn
A fun little book. You don't even have to be an atheist to enjoy this one.
Eleanor Cowan
Your Morning Inspiration!

A wonderful book - full of wit, wisdom and understanding. I howled with laughter at some of the quotes and nodded in real appreciation at others. I read a quotation or two every morning to begin my day - and am always richly rewarded.

Eleanor Cowan, author of : A History of a Pedophile's Wife: Memoir of a Canadian Teacher and Writer
Melody
Quotes, most of which are familiar but no less cogent for being so. Includes this gem from Carl Sagan: "The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."
Luke
Pretty good over all. The quotes are, in fact, quite quotable. There is definitely some dogmatism, but the book itself acknowledges this. I do think that the book would have been better served if some of the editorial material had been placed at the front rather than the back of the book. Even religious people can find some thought-provoking quotes. Everyone is a skeptic about the religions of other people, after all.
Rich
The Atheist's Bible an illustrious collection of irreverent thoughts, edited by Joan Konner. Konner has created a collection of thoughts from free thinkers through the ages and put them into a single edition. Organized in a Biblical fashion, chapter names such as Genesis, The Word, The Gospel, and The Book of Enlightenment are the wave points for the challenges to religion. It's so damn fun to read!
Sean Endymion
I HATE the title for this book. After all atheists do to clear up misconceptions, to show that atheism is no dogma and has no tenets, after the long trail of logos... we are sent back to square one by the name "atheist's bible".

Aside from that... the content is wonderful. A brilliant selection of quotes, from funny to powerful. Very fun to have on hand.
Colleen-máiréad
Last time I checked Bible stood for stories, not a whole bunch of quotes to make someones belief a little bit easier on them. Nonetheless it was horribly structured in a sense, meaning that it had nothing to do with the soul or spirituality of ones self but the hatred toward religious people with snide quotes from miserable people.
Rob
If you're interested in what notable people from the past thought about God and religion, this book is filled with statements from primarily Atheists, but also Clergymen, Philosophers and even fictional characters. It's an informative collection which shows that doubt in the existence of a god has survived the generations.
Rather dissappointing. I liked the organization,but the selection of quotes could have been better. Only a few were memorable.

"Philosophy consists of questions that may never be answered. Religion consists of answers that can never be questioned." ~Anonymous
Ashley Olsen
Aug 17, 2009 Ashley Olsen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Atheists, Agnostics, Skeptics, Comedians
An amusing little book. Some of the quotes are comical or silly, others are thought provoking. Some of quotes are about religion or lack thereof, while the remainder are about life in general. My husband and I like to read the lines out loud to one another over coffee.
James
If only they hadn't wasted such a good title for a mere collection of quotes. "The Atheist's Bible" should be a legitimate work of intelligence that explores and defines the great experience of secularism. But that's neither here nor there...
Brian
A delightful and thought-provoking collection of heresy! I certainly didn't know that all the people quoted in this book felt this way. Every hotel should have a copy of this book next to their other Bible in every nightstand!
Paul Harmon
This stays in my car, tucked next to my seat in easy reach of a quick reading sessions. It is just a collection of quotes and thoughts by various peoples of note but good for when you need a moment of sanity and insight.
Loren
A heartbreaking work of staggering genius; heartbreaking, because I believe in God.

Favorite Quote: Q: How do you know you're God?
A:Simple. When I pray to him, I find that I'm talking to myself. -Peter O'Toole
  • The Cambridge Companion to Atheism
  • The Quotable Atheist: Ammunition for Nonbelievers, Political Junkies, Gadflies, and Those Generally Hell-Bound
  • Everything You Know About God is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Religion
  • Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity
  • God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of the Bible (Revised International Edition)
  • The God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture
  • Atheist Universe: The Thinking Person's Answer to Christian Fundamentalism
  • The New Atheism: Taking a Stand for Science and Reason
  • Society Without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us about Contentment
  • Atheist Manifesto: The Case Against Christianity, Judaism, and Islam
  • Irreligion: A Mathematician Explains Why the Arguments for God Just Don't Add Up
  • The Born Again Skeptic's Guide To The Bible
  • Atheism Explained: From Folly to Philosophy
  • Atheism: The Case Against God
  • There's Probably No God: the Atheists' Guide to Christmas
  • The Religion Virus: Why We Believe in God: An Evolutionist Explains Religion's Incredible Hold on Humanity
  • Attack of the Theocrats!: How the Religious Right Harms Us All — and What We Can Do About It
  • Women Without Superstition: No Gods--No Masters: The Collected Writings of Women Freethinkers of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries
You Don't Have to Be Buddhist to Know Nothing: An Illustrious Collection of Thoughts on Naught The Book of I: An Illustrious Collection of Self Reflections