Start by marking “Child of the Civil Rights Movement” as Want to Read:
Child of the Civil Rights Movement

Child of the Civil Rights Movement

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  125 ratings  ·  41 reviews
In this Bank Street College of Education Best Children's Book of the Year, Paula Young Shelton, daughter of Civil Rights activist Andrew Young, brings a child’s unique perspective to an important chapter in America’s history. Paula grew up in the deep south, in a world where whites had and blacks did not. With an activist father and a community of leaders surrounding her, ...more
Published January 19th 2011 by Schwartz & Wade (first published 2009)

Leon Gray
SS5H8 The student will describe the importance of key people, events, and developments between 1950-1975.
b. Explain the key events and people of the Civil Rights movement; include Brown v. Board of Education (1954), the Montgomery Bus Boycott, the March on Washington, Civil Rights Act, Voting Rights Act, and civil rights activities of Thurgood Marshall, Rosa Parks, and Martin Luther King, Jr.

A good book that talks about civil rights movement, Jim Crow and Selma, Al.

This book could definitely be
Stephanie Waterhouse
What a powerful book and much needed at this time of crisis regarding race in America. It is well written! Very glad to see history of the civil rights movement through the eyes of a child. This perspective is much needed. It doesn't bog one down with a bunch of historical facts, like a history book, but it is detailed and outlined so anyone, especially little children, can comprehend the events.

With the protests today, in America, because of civil rights, this book can assist with discussion on
Alyssa Williams
This book is a historical novel written by Paula Young Shelton, daughter of civil rights activist, Andrew Young. Paula tells the story of her as a young girl and the struggles during this time period, including having her uncle, Martin Luther King, involved in the movement. This book I inspirational and can teach children a lot about the Civil Rights Movements. It focuses on the 20th century where problems, such as, voting and black power were faced. This can be used as an educational experience ...more
Kourtnie Bussey
This narrative is about a little girl named Paula that was born in New York. Her parents are from the deep south, and grew up following Jim Crow laws. One day, as the family was watching t.v, a story appeared on the news. The story was about the Freedom Riders. The Freedom Riders consisted of black and white people that rode the bus together, while protesting Jim Crow laws. Paula's parents wanted to do something immediately to help. They packed their bags and moved to Georgia instantly. While li ...more
Pattie Simmons
Title: Child of the Civil Rights Movement by Paula Young Shelton & Raul Colon

Short Description of the Book: In this book, the Civil Rights movement and Jim Crow laws are seen through the eyes of a little girl whose uncle just happens to be Martin Luther King, Jr.

Focus: I would use this book to teach how to produce informative writing that expresses main ideas clearly.

Teach: W8.2: Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, concepts, and information through the s
Hannah
This picturebook was written by the daughter of a well-known Civil Rights activist. Unlike Marching for Freedom, which is a nonfiction text about the Selma march, this is a fictional text about the same march. Like a few of the other books in the text set, this is a story told from the perspective of a young girl, making it more accessible to young kids and setting them up to be able to understand the texts that are harder to relate to.
Katie Logonauts
This story, based on the author's experiences as a young child, tells about the journey of the Civil Rights Movement from the Freedom Riders through to the passage of the Voting Rights Act. I appreciate that this book highlights more of the longer narrative than individual-event focused books and that it honors a child's perspective. This is a great resource for introducing students to this time period.
Ashley Vance
This picture book was very informing. A young girl tells her story about how she grew up during the Civil Rights Movement. She remembers hearing her parents have conversations with Martin Luther King, Jr. She moved from New York to Georgia. She learned all about Jim Crow Laws and described her experience of being turned away from restaurants. It was so sad because I know that so many peope have gone through what this girl had to go through and it wasn't any of their faults. It frustrates me that ...more
Sunday
Perspective of child - the daughter of Andrew YOung who worked closely with MLK, Jr. and others. This narrative reveals the power of community - working together; the author uses metaphors of musical instruments to create pictures of the symphony of voices required to make the Civil Rights movement happen. Clear description towards the end of the book of the march from Selma to Montgomery, AL that proceeded LBJ's signing of the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The author makes clear the diversity of t ...more
Allison
I totally teared up at the end. Based on the author's memories of being a four-year-old on the march from Selma to Montgomery (her parents were civil rights leaders), this is a really great introduction to the civil rights movement for kids. There are at least a few other civil rights books written from a child's perspective, but are there any others that are written from the actual childhood of the author, especially one whose family was so heavily involved? (I mean, she calls MLK "Uncle Martin ...more
Wendy Fontenot
Book Title: Child of the Civil Rights Movement by Paula Young Shelton & Raul Colon

Short description of the book: The Civil Rights Movements is told through the eyes of a little girl as she recalls what she and her parents went through during this time period.

FOCUS: Informational features I would use in a mini-lesson:

1) This book would be wonderful to teach style. Shange does a wonderful job of telling the life of Coretta Scott while making it lively and interesting.

2) Shange uses no punctuat
Melissa Mcavoy
A very good comprehensive overview of the Civil Rights movement. Gives a personal, inside, child-centered view of MLK Jr., other civil rights leaders and the final, successful march to Birmingham. Makes clear the work isn't done and the torch has been passed to subsequent generations.
Kasey
I think it is a very good thing to have picture books that are informative A lot of kids will be more likely to pick this up then something that has a lot more words. This story is about a lil girl who is telling her story of what it was like during this time period. A vivid memory she has is of being rejected when she went places. A lot of children at this time went through this struggle and that might of been the hardest part about this movement.
I think for children to learn that things weren
Taryn
Love it. I love hearing the story of the Civil Rights movement from a child who was actually there (this is the author's real-life story, written for children). Awesome way to introduce activism to children.
Melanie
Told in verse form, this wonderfully illustrated picture book about a families involvement in the Civil Rights March is accessible and appealing to readers of all ages.
Jeimy
Andrew Young's daughter remembers what it was like to be a child witnessing the leaders of the Civil Rights movement plan Selma to Montgomery march.
Nielson
Remembering what it was like in her youth, Shelton shares her memories of the Civil Rights Movement. She recalls what it was like to have dinner with "uncle" Martin and "aunt" Coretta and other prominent figures of the Civil Rights Movement. She describes her feelings as she participated in the march from Selma to Montgomery. Combined with the text and illustrations, this would be a great book to use when discussing the Civil Rights Movement as it includes short biographies of the people discuss ...more
Tanner Mendelson
This picture book does an excellent job of describing the civil rights movement from the eyes of a child. She described Jim Crow Laws as "where whites could but blacks could not." A social studies teacher could use this book, with its great illustrations, to show how the people her parents interacted with were her "Civil Rights Family," which included, Uncle Martin (Martin Luther King) and Uncle Ralph (Ralph Abernathy). This book does an excellent job using the analogy of the players in the Civ ...more
Kris
It's interesting to hear a bit about what the Civil Rights movement was like from a child's perspective. Paula Young Shelton was actually there, four years old when her parents and her "Uncle Martin" marched in Montgomery. It's one thing for kids to hear about discrimination as something that happened to others a long time ago - it's another to hear a (now grown) child say, "we were hungry, but they wouldn't let us eat in the restaurant." Not a ton of information in this book, but a nice choice ...more
Samantha
(2009, December 01). School Library Journal.
Liz
My first reaction was...WHAT??!!! The Voting Rights Act of 1965??!! It was that recent that a bill was signed that allowed all people, black and white, could vote??!! How can that be?
Beautifully woven memories of author's childhood, daughter to civil rights leader and U.N. Ambassador, Andrew Young. The beginnings of the Civil Rights Movement is told through childhood remembrances. More information on people mentioned, including Martin Luther King, Jr., Ralph Abernathy, Young and others. Raul Co
Crista
A Junior Library Guild Selection

Author Paula Young Shelton takes us back to her youth. She is the daughter of famed Civil Rights Activist Andrew Young and describes they day they marched threw Alabama with Uncle Martin.

I love the four year old's perspective in this book. We see about the food, the conversations and the actions. What I liked the most was her descriptions of the adults discussions being similar to instruments in and orchestra.

This is a good story to accompany a Civil Rights unit.
Clara Bowman-Jahn
Why I liked it: Written by Paula Young Shelton based on her memories of when she was four years old and participated in the March. She wrote it in a child’s language as a memoir. There is a back matter sheet of the people mentioned in this book, all activists, so they can be remembered. To me this is the height of what a children’s book could and can be. A memoir or history of the complex issues of injustice written for children so they can understand it is. Perfect.
Abby Johnson
Paula Young Shelton gives a child's-eye view of the fight for civil rights in the American South. While this would not be a first choice for report writing, it will give elementary students a feel for the time and what children would have gone through at that point in our history. Beatiful color illustrations bring to life such civil rights leaders as Andrew Young and Martin Luther King, Jr.
Sara K.
I picked this book up at the MLK Jr. Memorial when we went to see it. The book is a perfect classroom read aloud for the Civil Rights Movement. Boycotts, sit-ins, and marches are all explained through the eyes of a child who was really there. We meet many of the young activists of the Civil Rights movement throughout the book. It was an perfect starter to my lesson on Civil Rights!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
The author, Paula Young Shelton, writes about her childhood experiences as her parents participated in the civil rights movement. She actually met Martin Luther King Jr.! She experience the Jim Crow laws and marched part of the way from Montgomery to Selma in 1965. Raul Colon's illustrations provide just the right atmosphere with its peaceful, muted colors. Highly recommended!!
Anne Broyles
BEcause of her pedigree (daughter of civil rights activist Andrew Young and Jean Childs Young), Paula Young Shelton has a unique perspective on a time of amazing change. Colon's illustrations capture a close-knit family and community who leaned on each other, strategized together, and walked their talk. This book provides a quick history lesson in a personalized narrative.
Sam Bloom
This one is reminiscent of Ellington was not a Street in the way larger than life figures from the Civil Rights Movement are remembered by the author as being caring, doting adult figures. Shelton talks about her memories of her father, Andrew Young, of Dr. King, of Ralph Abernathy, and so on. Well-written, well-illustrated, and very interesting book.
Karla Talbot
Narrative describing the Young's family commitment to change. Great read with discussions of actions that lead to the passage of the Voting Right Act of 1965.
  • Sojourner Truth's Step-Stomp Stride
  • March On!: The Day My Brother Martin Changed the World: The Day My Brother Martin Changed The World
  • We March
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • These Hands
  • D Is for Drinking Gourd: An African American Alphabet
  • I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American Slavery
  • Etched in Clay: The Life of Dave, Enslaved Potter and Poet
  • One Thousand Tracings: Healing the Wounds of World War II
  • Ballet for Martha: Making Appalachian Spring
  • Ruby Bridges Goes To School: My True Story (Scholastic Reader Level 2)
  • Nelson Mandela
  • The Great Migration: Journey to the North
  • January's Sparrow
  • Barbed Wire Baseball: How One Man Brought Hope to the Japanese Internment Camps of WWII
  • Freedom Summer
  • A Wreath for Emmett Till
  • As Good as Anybody
Child of the Civil Rights Movement (Junior Library Guild Selection)