Start by marking “The Creek” as Want to Read:
The Creek

The Creek

Caleb Devlin is a legend on Mockingbird Lane, the boy who terrorized an entire town before he got sent away. They say he hurt other kids, tortured animals, set fires, and did things grown-ups speak of only in whispers. But that was all before Penny and her little brother moved here. Now Caleb's back, older and more dangerous than ever, and terrible things have started happ ...more
Hardcover
Published June 1st 2003 by HarperCollins Publishers

Ruhama
Sep 04, 2009 Ruhama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
The neighborhood is tense and worried: Caleb Devlin is home again. Five years ago he did a heinous crime that the adults won’t talk about, so the kids’ imaginations run wild, and Penny starts to have panic attacks again because of all this. Penny and her brother Teddy are relatively new to the neighborhood, and Penny likes to hang with the guys. Their summer project is to build a summer fort by the creek. But thanks to Caleb being home again, the kids are forbidden to play in the woods or go by ...more
Adam van der Zwan
Aug 29, 2010 Adam van der Zwan rated it it was amazing
Hmm! Very interesting novel for sure! Fast paced, good characters, interesting plot, jam-packed, not really a dull moment at all! Plus, it was a suspense novel which is the kind of novel that I really enjoy. It was scary! There were some brief moments in which I was literally feeling a chill! Albeit , a little graphic, and a little unrealistic in terms of the age of the characters that this is all happening to, it was a great suspense that I could easily see turned into a movie. For sure.

At fir
Jenny
Apr 19, 2009 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Hm.. what to say about this book? Well, it honestly creeped me out. It wasn't really scary, but just.. creepy and odd.

Penny is the main character and she's very adventurous and she's a tomboy, which reminded me of when I was younger. She has 3 main guy friends: Oren, Mac, and Benji. She hangs out with them all the time.. who knows what happened to the girls in the neighborhood? I guess none of the neighbors had any around her age.. except for Amy, but they weren't friends anymore.

But then Caleb
Nora
Dec 13, 2012 Nora rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Jan
Nov 09, 2011 Jan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yikes! How could this YA novel come from the same author as the one who wrote the May Amelia books and the Boston Jane series? Although the adventure is fun, the violence and murder were too much for me. Even in an adult novel, I would not enjoy reading about a child murder. It was creepy when they were burning ants and killing cats, but the weird sexual attraction and over-the-top assumptions about who was dangerous and who was not became creepy to me.
Pass on this one.
Mary
Jun 27, 2008 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is not for elementary kids!! I even question middle school kids! It’s a mystery (Who is the bad guy?) and throughout the whole book I wanted to scream, “Just tell an adult what’s going on!” OR “Parents, do you know what your kids are up to?” It’s engaging, but . . . creepy.
Angie
Apr 24, 2011 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, nook
Well. Pretty much hated this one and not even sure why I finished it. I like spooky mysteries but the characters just didn't ... fit.

Half the time you don't even know if the main character is in her right mind or not. And she's only thirteen.
Chloe (Girl In The Woods Reviews)
When I read this book, it had a dark, menacing detail to every page. This is a book that will give a heart-pumping, exciting, thrill ride that will make a recurring existence to every piece.
♫♪ Olivia ♪♫
this book is so creepy! even if you like terror stories it's still disgusting
Alina
Jan 03, 2016 Alina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review will not include any spoilers but will give an honest opinion from a middle schooler's perspective of the book, The Creek, by Jennifer L. Holm. As a matter of fact, I vacillated between the ranking of 4-4.5. This book had a shaky beginning. Once I read the synopsis of the book I wasn't hooked immediately. I also wasn't positive that I was going to enjoy or even continue to read the book after the first chapter. However, once I got passed the first few chapters it got interesting. The ...more
Andrea Hussey
May 27, 2012 Andrea Hussey rated it did not like it
Jicorey Girton
Nov 12, 2013 Jicorey Girton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A 12 year old named Penny Carson is looking forward to the upcoming summer of doing nothing more important than hanging out with friends, which is group of neighborhood boys. Her family has just moved to the suburbs of Philadelphia, and Penny likes exploring the woods and the creek near her home, which is why this book is called the creek. Her parents know that dangers lurk even this rich neighborhood . When household pets start to turn up dead and fires start to destroy their fort, everyone bla ...more
Josie Brown
Jan 08, 2014 Josie Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An addictive book written by one of the best young-adult writers of our generation. Once this book is opened you will cringe at the thought of putting it back down.
This novel is a captivating, thrilling, and heart wrenching book that captures the adventures and trials that are encountered in the tender time of adolescence.
This story is set in a suburban community and focuses on Penny Carson whom is in the process of growing up and learning the dangers and the enjoyment of the real world. She f
James Hargest Library
There was a boy, who is a legend after terrorizing an entire town before Penny and her family moved there. Now he’s back, older but more dangerous. Since his return, terrible things have started to occur again. While the police ignore the complaints of the citizens who know he’s to blame, a group of friends try to stay calm and find proof that it’s him. The only problem…… he’s after them too.
The creek is a suspense thriller book. I couldn’t wait to read this book as many of my mates had convinc
Aabani Carr
The Creek by Jennifer L. Holm was a interesting book. In the book there is a girl named Penny Carson, she doesn't know what she wants to do. Caleb is a boy in her neighborhood who is known for problems and destruction. Penny sees Caleb and starts to have hallucinations and she starts acting paranoid. This book is really not as good as it could be. It takes forever until anything really interesting happens. This book is more about penny than it is about the danger around her. The twist at the end ...more
Diane
Dec 24, 2016 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Have you heard? Caleb Devlin is back. Penny saw him driving up in a red Trans Am. Of course, she didn't live here then. She moved in after he was sent to a juvenile facility. But she recognized the tattoo on his hand. Why would they let him out? And what will it mean to the kids of Mockingbird Drive? None of the younger ones really remember him but they sure know the stories. The dead animals. The boy in the coma. And Caleb's dead sister. And now, it seems to be starting all over again. Dogs are ...more
Medeia Sharif
Penny is a tomboy looking forward to the summer, but then evil enters her town. Murdered pets are turning up everywhere and fires blaze. People want to point fingers at Caleb, a troubled teen who is back in town after serving juvie.

I really wanted to love this. It’s creepy, yet the writing isn’t gripping. Also, I was bothered by the plot. Penny is twelve, which means middle grade, yet there are too many disturbing scenes in this novel. Some parts seemed like they were for an older audience.
Elizabeth
Jan 09, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 6th-8th grade
This book is awesome. I remember reading it when I had a bad sprain on my ankle as a kid - when everyone else was playing, I read this. I was terrified. It stayed with me in my dreams. The story became real to me. I read it. I reread it. I think I've read it 3 or 4 times. And every time it's just plain cool. Scary. Enthralling. Entertaining.

This isn't a book with a big, deep, revealing truth. It's not going to give you a deeper understanding of the world. But if you're a kid, looking for a fun,
Oct 07, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this one, and I did for the most part. However, even though the main characters are children I still found myself getting upset with their behavior and decisions. I didn't like how the end played out and I was able to guess the ending too soon. What started out as a coming of age murder mystery wound up being a big let down starring some dumb parents not listening to their misbehaving children.
Alicia
Sep 10, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous piece of fiction. An excellent and quick read for those who enjoy a bit of a thriller! The plot moves quickly and keeps the reader guessing to the very end.

I very seldom come across a book that truly surprises me. There were a few times in this book where I actually yelled out loud and somewhat embarrassed myself because a plot twist so caught me off guard.

This book is very well written and definitely a must read!
Angela Harris
A true page turner. However, one question is still remains! This will contain spoilers- sorry! But when they are in the attic at the end, why does Benji say his sister was at dinner last night?! Hiw could that be!? For one brief moment I thought they were going to twist it so it was all in the little girl's mind! Talk about a twist! But that didn't happen! So now I am left wondering why Benji said that? Any help!?
Josie
Dec 16, 2012 Josie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any young adult that is prepared for a great read.
Recommended to Josie by: Stacie Brown (My mother)
Shelves: coming-of-age
I've never been as enthralled in a book as I was in this one. I love the author Jennifer L. Holm, and loved how she really made you feel like you were there watching everything happen before your very eyes. I felt as if I was in Penny's place having every traumatizing event happen to me. I would definitely recommend this book to any young adults whom want to read a book that they can simply not put down.
Lorry Chwazik
May 13, 2015 Lorry Chwazik rated it really liked it
While this tale was creepy and intriguing, and the subplot of the main character changing from child to adolescent added depth, I was frustrated by the lack of disclosure on the part of the neighborhood kids. Just tell your parents, already! Still, a good choice for younger horror fans....
Cindy
Oct 16, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to suggest to struggling readers who are looking for a good thriller. The bad boy has moved back to a quiet neighborhood after years in juvenile detention. Terrible things start happening...but, who is really responsible?
Sk
May 03, 2014 Sk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was a kid and I'll never forget how gross it made me feel inside and I was glued to it until the end, it gave me such a sickly feeling but I couldn't put it down, it is a well written book with creepy, eerie and downright disturbing content, but I enjoyed every bit of it!
Clara
Jan 31, 2009 Clara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't really call this a kid book. I read in the 8th grade, but there were parts of it that were really scary. I remember really liking the book. It was suspenseful and interesting... but a little creepy.
Clarisse
Apr 16, 2009 Clarisse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my neighbor was the author of this book and she gave it to me. i read it and it was amazing. i usually dont read but we recently just got bac from hawaii and we had a 5 hour flight back and i just read the whole time. this book is perfect! and once you start, you can never put it down so buy it!
Gabby☺
Mar 20, 2009 Gabby☺ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a bad boy comes back to town and beats up a fat kid named Zachery.......pets disappear......murder is attempted....and little girls die......first kisses also occur

find out who really is behind all the murders and petnapping after the bad boy is found dead
Eeyore2468 Gaming
It was truly AMAZING i love it but you should NOT read it at night! i couldnt sleep untill 1 in the morning!
Robin
Jul 29, 2011 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this with my son and he LOVED it. There is a lot of mystery and suspense and it was a really quick, entertaining read.
  • Dork in Disguise
  • Travels with Gannon and Wyatt: Ireland
  • Manhunt (Silver Jaguar Society Mysteries #3)
  • Here Lies Linc
  • An Intimate Murder (Catherine O'Brien Mystery #3)
  • Gertie's Leap to Greatness
  • Bye, Bye Love (Cat DeLuca Mysteries, #4)
  • Ten Good and Bad Things About My Life (So Far)
  • The Alpine Zen (Emma Lord, #26)
  • The Wednesdays
  • Assassin
  • Cuba 15 (Readers Circle)
  • Spectrum (Karen Vail, #6)
  • The House by the Churchyard
  • Locked Inside
  • The Vacation
  • In Their Shoes: Extraordinary Women Describe Their Amazing Careers
  • Electric Girl, Volume 1
Jennifer L. Holm is a NEW YORK TIMES bestselling children's author and the recipient of three Newbery Honors for her novels OUR ONLY MAY AMELIA, PENNY FROM HEAVEN, and TURTLE IN PARADISE.

Jennifer collaborates with her brother, Matthew Holm, on two graphic novel series -- the Eisner Award-winning Babymouse series and the bestselling Squish series. She is also the author of several other highly pra
More about Jennifer L. Holm...