Start by marking “Names of God” as Want to Read:
Names of God

Names of God

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Jehovah-tsidkenu, "the Lord our righeousness"; Jehovah-shalom, "the Lord our peace"; Jehovah-jireh, "the Lord will provide."
God's names reveal not only different dimensions of His character but also point to their fulfillment in the Person and work of Jesus Christ. This classic study examines the Old Testament names of God and the particular aspect of His character and de
Published January 1st 1987 by Moody Publishers (first published June 1st 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Names of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Names of God

Jeanie
In the Names of God, Nathan Stone has a unique background in writing this. Orphaned at a young age, he went to live with a relative that was Jewish and went to Jewish school, later on he moved in with another relative that was Christian. The pages thou not conversational, did reasonate a reverance and love for God. He says and I totally agree, that we can only enjoy God to the degree that we know him. Little knowledge translate into little spiritual power or life. He continues to say that learni ...more
John Avery
Nathan Stone has done a great job in this little book. His approach is careful and not too academic. He does not try to make many applications to our own lives but simply states who God is using a few of His most well known names.
I have done extensive research on this subject for my own book and Nathan Stone's book, although it is older, is among the best of the shorter books on the subject (see my other reviews for the best).
My biggest concern with books like this is that they are selective; t
Judith Hall Simon
Nathan Stone does an excellent job of showing how the names of God revealed in the Old Testament carry through into the New Testament. He also explains why God revealed a particular name at a specific time in history. The writing is on a level that anyone can understand, not just the academic theologian.
Frank Cahill
For those who enjoy the original meaning of scripture, this book will be an enrich their understanding of the Bible. The author covers a dozen names of God that are commonly translated in the Bible as God or Lord. He provides the literal translation of scripture, then provides background on how the name developed.

For example, the first on the list is Elohim, that he describes as containing the general idea of greatness and glory; this is often the God of Creation. Another name, used in Judges, i
Richard Mansel
Valuable book for preachers to use in sermon preparation.
Larry
If you have never seriously studied through these precious names of God I would highly recommend this book. Written in 1944, Mr. Nathan Stone has really done is homework in his research into the meanings of the names of God.
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Debbie Schaeppi
Debbie Schaeppi is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2015
Phillip Richardson
Phillip Richardson marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Trish
Trish marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Jeremy Hedges
Jeremy Hedges marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Claire Selfridge
Claire Selfridge marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Louis
Louis marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Lee Tedder
Lee Tedder marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Names of God Two Discourses Delivered at Southborough: The First, on a Day of Public Thanksgiving, October 9th 1760: Occasioned by the Entire Reduction of Canada: The Second, a Plain and Brief Discourse to Little Children: With the Reasons of It: On... Names of God, Christ, Holy Spirit Set of 3