Start by marking “Names of God” as Want to Read:
Names of God

Names of God

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Jehovah-tsidkenu, "the Lord our righeousness"; Jehovah-shalom, "the Lord our peace"; Jehovah-jireh, "the Lord will provide."
God's names reveal not only different dimensions of His character but also point to their fulfillment in the Person and work of Jesus Christ. This classic study examines the Old Testament names of God and the particular aspect of His character and de
Published January 1st 1987 by Moody Publishers (first published June 1st 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Names of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Names of God

Jeanie
Jun 08, 2012 Jeanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Names of God, Nathan Stone has a unique background in writing this. Orphaned at a young age, he went to live with a relative that was Jewish and went to Jewish school, later on he moved in with another relative that was Christian. The pages thou not conversational, did reasonate a reverance and love for God. He says and I totally agree, that we can only enjoy God to the degree that we know him. Little knowledge translate into little spiritual power or life. He continues to say that learni ...more
John Avery
Dec 27, 2013 John Avery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nathan Stone has done a great job in this little book. His approach is careful and not too academic. He does not try to make many applications to our own lives but simply states who God is using a few of His most well known names.
I have done extensive research on this subject for my own book and Nathan Stone's book, although it is older, is among the best of the shorter books on the subject (see my other reviews for the best).
My biggest concern with books like this is that they are selective; t
Judith Hall Simon
Oct 30, 2014 Judith Hall Simon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nathan Stone does an excellent job of showing how the names of God revealed in the Old Testament carry through into the New Testament. He also explains why God revealed a particular name at a specific time in history. The writing is on a level that anyone can understand, not just the academic theologian.
Frank Cahill
Aug 24, 2014 Frank Cahill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those who enjoy the original meaning of scripture, this book will be an enrich their understanding of the Bible. The author covers a dozen names of God that are commonly translated in the Bible as God or Lord. He provides the literal translation of scripture, then provides background on how the name developed.

For example, the first on the list is Elohim, that he describes as containing the general idea of greatness and glory; this is often the God of Creation. Another name, used in Judges, i
Ashley
Dec 03, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for school and WOW there was so much more to it than I expected! This tiny book is packed with information about the 12 original Hebrew names of God used in the Old Testament. So so good.
Richard Mansel
Mar 18, 2014 Richard Mansel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Valuable book for preachers to use in sermon preparation.
Larry
May 11, 2009 Larry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have never seriously studied through these precious names of God I would highly recommend this book. Written in 1944, Mr. Nathan Stone has really done is homework in his research into the meanings of the names of God.
Deb
Deb added it
Jan 30, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2016
Dominique Bolden
Dominique Bolden marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Becki
Becki marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Sam Stafford
Sam Stafford marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Sheila Myers
Sheila Myers rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Corrie
Corrie rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Lydia
Lydia added it
Jan 05, 2016
Nathaniel Brown
Nathaniel Brown marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Ross Heinricy
Ross Heinricy rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Bryce
Bryce added it
Dec 28, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Andre Jenkins
Andre Jenkins rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Matthew Fuller
Matthew Fuller rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Lloyd
Lloyd marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015