Start by marking “The Essence of Happiness” as Want to Read:
The Essence of Happiness

The Essence of Happiness

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  194 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The essence of the iconic book "The Art of Happiness" distilled into a beautiful new format.
The Dalai Lama inspired millions around the world with his wisdom and compassion in "The Art of Happiness." Now, in "The Essence of Happiness, " moving insights from His Holiness are gathered in an elegantly designed keepsake book that makes for a handy and accessible medium for t...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Riverhead Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Essence of Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essence of Happiness

Danie
This book is the condensed version of The Art of Happiness. It is a good basic book on Tibetan Buddhist practices of compassion, emptiness, equanimity, etc., which can, with practice and time, lead to happiness. I highly recommend as an introduction to Tibetan Buddhism, or a refresher for those more aquainted with these concepts.
Jojo
Amazing.. Every page contains a little message, a little bit of Wisdom from the Dalai Lama. You should pick this book up if you are angry about something or someone.. if you are sad. When you feel unhappy with your live or if you just want to feel a little bit better without a reason. After you read a little bit you'll feel a little bit happier and see all the things a little bit different.. But if you want some more information about why and how or about Buddhism then you should read a differen...more
Mark Rickens
This book is simply amazing. When ever I am troubled or feeling lost in this world, i turn to this book to brighten up my day.
Danielle
This book is amazing.It's straight to the point, and condensed. It was very easy to understand. I see things clearer after every page. Most of the time i would just put the book down and reflect it on to my life. I'am not very old, im not going to disclose my age, but im in my young teens. I recommend this to any teenager out there getting bullied,dont feel like they fit in, or are depressed at school. This is who i was for a short while. My parents were separating,my older sister was travelling...more
Katie Dubik Schwarz
This book is a collections of snippets/quotes from the Dalai Lama. It is very good, but I wanted more information about his theory on how to move towards (and reach/achieve) happiness. I am not an abridged story kind of girl; I want the full story.

My favorite quote:

"The ability to shift perspective--asking, "How can I see this differently?"--can be one of the most powerful and effective tools we have to help us cope with life's daily problems."

But the book is good and positive--worthy of a star...more
Ryan Parker
Very easy read. Great coffee table book just to glance at it time to time. Inspirational as well ,as one would think.
Eddie
I am usually very anti-self-help, but as of late, I'm acknowledging that I'm needing some simple, straight forward guidance to stop feeling like I'm running in place. A coworker, not knowing these feelings I'm harboring, passed this book along to me and I'm thankful he has. I hope to apply the things I've learned in this book, along with the three other "books" I read prior to this one to my life. I can use the shifting, the adapting if being able to change, to see life in my own way, but a heal...more
Marco
Mar 19, 2011 Marco rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone that needs a little bit of a pick-me-up
No doubt, this book has a lot of good positive messages in it, but at the time i was reading this, i was going throught a rather tough time mentally, as well as dealing with my father, who was very closing to dying (he has since passed on) so i think there was a lot of this book that i just could not absorb at the time, so well i think the book was good, i think i will have to come back and read it again at a later date and try to take a bit more of it in.
Courtney
Mar 25, 2011 Courtney rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Amazing. That is all I can say. It will put life in perspective for you and make you do some serious soul searching. Grief, anger, indifference, and obstacles are all a part of our lives but it is how we see and handle things that gives us our peace from within and quality of life. You can completely change your way of thinking if you can empathize and pull strength from within.
Becky Cheung
This book offers sage advice on defeating day-to-day depression, anxiety, anger, jealousy, and other emotions that get in the way of true happiness.

It is a very easy read which you can read cover to cover in a few hours but it is likely that you will find yourself going back for the wisdom it provides.

It is a collection of beautiful sage advice.
Lisa Rhodes
This book was extremely helpful to me! I got it on Audible so I could listen while on the treadmill. I have anger issues and listening to the Dalai Lama's advice really helps!
Mortalform
Very good way to return to good basic principles. Think about the way you are thinking and so change how you think. The audio version was a nice way to get small daily samplings of wisdom to ponder through out each day. Though, of course, now I want to read the book!
I love this book so much as I really find the Dalai Lama's teachings practical and easy to understand. The pocket book style makes it easy to keep his words of wisdom in my bag or on me pretty much anywhere I go to remind me just how easy it is to live a happy life!
Pam
Be happy with what you have. If you are always wanting things that you do not have you will never be happy. However, my thought on the subject is when you are happy with what you have, you will receive more of the same.
Kelly
315 pages, not 120 like the description says. It's a bit of a tedious read as all educational books can be but the wisdom is supreme. Good reminders of how to be a better person to yourself and others.
Leigh
Actually I skimmed this because I realized most of it is pulled from The Art of Happiness - which I read and enjoyed a number of years ago.
Aaron Church
Great book, i normally never read but this really is helping to guide me in my life. I recomend this book too everyone!
Toni
Have to try and remember to emulate the teachings because it's very inspiring to read and digest...
Dan
An excellent condensed version of the wisdom in Cutler & His Holiness's The Art of Happiness.
Christina
Fast, easy read...good messages...very inspirational!
Marsha Shear
An inspiring quick read.
Mary Ericson
Mary Ericson marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Paulo
Paulo marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Jen
Jen is currently reading it
Sep 11, 2014
Daniel Prasetyo
Daniel Prasetyo marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Mats
Mats marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Allison Gaulke
Allison Gaulke marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the...more
More about Dalai Lama XIV...
The Art of Happiness An Open Heart: Practicing Compassion in Everyday Life The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama