Start by marking “Sushi for Beginners” as Want to Read:
Sushi for Beginners

Sushi for Beginners

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  42,496 ratings  ·  949 reviews
Lisa Edwards

This Prada-wearing magazine editor thinks her life is over when her "fabulous" new job turns out to be a deportation to Dublin to launch Colleen magazine. The only saving grace is that her friends aren't there to witness her downward spiral. Might her new boss, the disheveled and moody Jack Devine, save her from a fate worse than hell?

Ashling Kennedy

Ashling, Co...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sushi for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sushi for Beginners

Liz
I wouldn't say this was a great book. It's another one that I managed to read on planes and in airports but wouldn't make time for reading it when I wouldn't otherwise be bored to tears.

I agree with other reviews here that the characters are not developed. In many cases, as with Jack, Lisa, and even Ashling, the characters change, even sometimes drastically, but we never really get to understand why. We are told the actions of characters in the past and given some glimpses into what upbringing a...more
(´*•.¸ღBexღ¸.•*´)
Marian Keyes shoots and scores again with another fantastic novel which centers around three modern singletons. Magazine editor Lisa Edwards meets with her bosses about a new job they have lined up for her to launch a new magazine called Colleen. Lisa is already visualizing a new posh lifestyle for herself in New York.
However, New York isn't quite where her new job has been set up. She's pretty much being deported to Dublin to fend for herself, start anew and make this new magazine the next big...more
Federica
May 14, 2008 Federica rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit lovers
Shelves: chicklit
Think about an ambitious woman who expects a promotion to became an important magazine editor in New York and ends up in a little pennyless women's magazine editorial board in Ireland instead.

She could either resign indignant or make "Colleen" the most prestigious magazine in the fashion industry.

To do so Lisa Edwards will drive her Dublin staff, mainly made up of women, to exhaustion (nothing like the icy Miranda Priestly in the "Devil Wear Prada" though)but all the efforts will be prized as "...more
Arnetra
For Ashling Kennedy, the new job she lands at start-up Irish fashion magazine Colleen is a dream come true. For Lisa Edwards, a high-maintenance London editor expecting a promotion to New York, her appointment as editor-in-chief of Colleen is a slap in the face, the only consolation being her rumpled-but-handsome new boss, Jack Devine. Furious at being passed up for a job at Manhattan magazine, Lisa vows to make Colleen the envy of the fashion industry, even if it kills her. She drives her Dubli...more
Jane
I finally finished this book. I had started Sushi for Beginners only a few days before it was due back to the library and never really got time to read much... now having finished it, I can say it was an interesting read. I am not sure why I was compelled to read and keep reading, but I was. It was different having three "main" characters, and surprisingly not overly confusing either.

The reader got to see different points of view from Lisa, Ashling, and Clodagh (all of whom are girls despite ho...more
Christina
This book was entertaining enough, but I would stop short of calling it good. The characters weren't really developed, Keyes just basically told us what the characters were doing and never let them grow past their one dimensioned personalities. The only one who escapes that fate is Lisa, the hardass editor. And she doesn't even develop so much as suddenly she's just different. The secondary characters were so over the top that they were completely unbelievable. By the time the last chapter rolle...more
Jen
Let's see. Take Bridget Jones, mix with The Devil Wears Prada, add some Irish details and remove about 50% of the interesting plot details and you have this book. I previously had read another book of Keyes' that I enjoyed a lot but I found this one a bit of a slog to get through. I admire her portrayal of an unappealing main character (Lisa) but it didn't really work for me as light reading. Overall, I'd say it is a professionally-rendered execution of an idea that just didn't appeal to me pers...more
S.J. Pajonas
Just re-read this and, sigh, I love Marian Keyes. She's such a great storyteller, often surprising me with twists I didn't see coming. Her books in general are snarky, witty, and sexy, and this one hits all of those notes and more. I'm glad I took the time to re-read it.
Jenn
It's not going to win any literary awards, but this is a great book for when you just want a fun read! And, it's not too far off when describing working for a small fashion magazine. Def one to recommend!
Aristhyia
"Sushi for Beginners" is definitely a lighter read than Marian Keyes' "This Charming Man". By comparison, I also found it less rewarding when I finished reading, but that's only when putting the two books side by side.

Individually speaking, Sushi for Beginners is quite an enjoyable read. Ashling was cute and I didn't find her entirely boxed into the she's-a-weird-nerd type, thankfully. I still feel that her struggle with long-lasting issues wasn't dealt as nicely as it could have been. She pulls...more
Shannon
Jul 30, 2008 Shannon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Brit chick lit lovers
One nice thing about Marian Keyes' books is that all of her characters feel like real people that you might meet on the street. And the consequences for their actions are also "real". In this novel, three women are looking for love and success. First there is the super-fashionista, Lisa, who feels she has been demoted at work by being sent to Dublin, Ireland to head up a new women's fashion magazine. During this time of extreme stress, she is also in the midst of a divorce with her fashion-photo...more
JJ
This novel is set in the fashion magazine industry, and I was primarily interested in this novel because I work in the media industry, and have had a lot of contact with magazine teams. However, in New Zealand it seems to be a lot more laid back than in Sushi for Beginners!

The Good: despite being chick-lit it had a fair bit packed into it, and I didn't once feel like the plot was dragging. It is set in Ireland, and the contrasting POVs between Lisa, from London, and Ashling from Dublin, were wo...more
Moira Fogarty
I am always impressed at Marian Keyes' ability to keep me smiling and nodding and turning pages like they're on fire, while she deftly writes a comedy/romance that revolves around serious issues like addiction, mental health and the godawfulness that is modern dating.

Lisa and Ashling are working on launching a magazine, and Clodagh is a stay-at-home mother of two. Each woman has her own unique brand of crazy going on, and their own strengths and weaknesses, and all three are connected by the sm...more
Danielle
I am very much not into chick lit, but Marian Keyes is one of my friend Heather's favorite authors. We read another book by her for our book club, which I didn't much care for. However, Heather assured us that not all of Keyes books contained such stereotypical chick lit characters. I was looking for something that was available to check out last minute via Overdrive for my Nook to take on my Alaskan vacation, and this was available so I decided to give Keyes another chance.

The book still wasn'...more
Sofi Collodel
ujjj so boring...

Take Bridget Jones, mix with The Devil Wears Prada, add some Irish details and remove about 50% of the interesting plot details and you have this book. All the characters annoyed me to some degree, and Lisa was insufferable.

I just wanted to finish this book. I did not enjoy it at all.
Alexis
This is a story about three women. Lisa, a hard-core magazine editor who puts the 'B' in Boss (as well as Bitch). Ashling is a plain as vanilla but is as sweet as chocolate. Clodagh is the housewife and mother who is lacks "zing" from days spent at home.

Notes: For the beginning half of this book, it was pretty flat. You wondered what was going to happen and where everything was going. Of course you have your theories, but it's just stagnant... until about two-thirds into the book when the book r...more
Anna
I had really enjoyed other books by Keyes - Lucy Sullivan & Watermelon - but Sushi really disappointed me. I could not care for any of her characters - workaholic Lisa was plain annoying, Ashling was just boring (though she was by far the best of the bunch), and I constantly wanted to yell at Clodagh to "Shut uuuup!". I also thought the book was too long for a story that barely developed, and in the end, some things (like Ashling's relationship) happened too fast.

Some parts were funny (but...more
Covadonga Lopez Iglesias
I loved the book. It's such a nice story; so contemporary and real that could happen to any woman these days.
Her lively writing style and her awesome humor is outstanding.
Reading a book of Marian is like talking to your best friend at home. I always think she and I could get along excellent with each other.
Alcy_girl
Quite enjoyed this one. I have liked some of Marian Keyes books, and not others, so I am always hesitant when I start her books, but, I liked this one.
It follows the lives of three women and the parallels in their lives. One is the editor of a new magazine and the bitch from hell. One is married with two children and a beautiful woman with everything. The third is the married woman's friend who has none of that.
It was interesting seeing how three different women from different backgrounds can ha...more
Caitlin
(Disclaimer: I read this while recuperating in hospital and so some of my reflections might be affected by medications and the need for something low key to entertain my eyes.)

'Sushi for Beginners' has a similar set up to many chick litty novels - centering on three women; one who seems to "have it all" but doesn't really, one with a seemingly perfect life but a terrible secret and one who is the frumpy non-fashionable girl who eventually gets the guy nobody thought would fall for her.

I'm not sa...more
Stephany
I admit chick lit is my guilty pleasure, and I've downed too many Sophie Kinsella, some which I treasure because they make me laugh again and again, like Undomesticated Goddess. Celia Ahern proved interesting as well... So I gave Marian Keyes a go.

Unfortuntely, at least Sushi for Beginners, was a complete disappointment and bore (I might have smiled once). I spent several weeks trying to finish it.

We follow 3 main ladies. 1 of them, the fashionable London girl is a cliche of a character. 2 dime...more
Carrie
Started reading Marian Keyes when I returned from Ireland in the summer of 2004. I bought a book of short stories from Irish writers, and Marian Keyes was one of them. I went to see which writers we had at our library, and I found Marian Keyes had several. I tried to read them in order and ended up liking them -- funny, character development -- that I bought a few that I've read and reread, including this one. The women are easy to relate to and the men are minor Prince Charmings.
Erin
I got through this book. Getting into it was a bit of a struggle..... some of it I enjoyed, some was just "okay", and parts of it felt predictable, & some forced (specifically the end where it seemed semi-hurried to draw it all to a close).

It's certainly not a deep book, in my opinion, and I could go for a book like that every now and then, so it wasn't a loss. Definitely very much a chick book (not necessarily a bad thing, just not typically my thing).
Venessa (PebbleCafe)
Eh, it was okay. This is my first Keyes novel and I expected to love it. I didn't care for any of the characters. They all annoyed me to some degree. Although, Ashling and Joy and Trix were the least annoying.

I still want to read Watermelon but maybe I'll put some distance between the two.

(SuBC cook meal inspired by book or food in title)
Mary Hawley
Ashling is the central character here, the one who connects all the others. Her new low-level job at a new women's magazine makes her best friend Clodagh very jealous, even though Clodagh is living a privileged life as the non-working mother of two in a home she is constantly redecorating. Ashling's new boss is Lisa, a tightly wound achiever who thrives on putting other people down--at least she thinks she does, for a long while. Ashling's new boyfriend is Marcus, an aspiring comic who demands a...more
Alison
My book club read this, and I really enjoyed it at the time. I have since decided that Marian Keyes is another good writer for beach reading. They are fun books that don't require a lot of thought.

My book club discussed this book over sushi in downtown Athens - all in all, a great book for that type of girls' night!
Meghan
A modern stylish magazine lady, hard as nails, is demoted to start a new women's magazine in Dublin. Her naive young assistant has some wacky friends and a nonexistent love life. The publisher of the new magazine is handsome and remote. There are so many possibilities! This is satisfying without being too trashy.
Dark-Draco
As a non-lover of 'chic-lit' I have to say that I love reading Marian Keyes. There is something about her stories that raise them from the normal - there's no sacchrine sweet love affair or women only obsessed about getting married. Ok, so they're not real portraits of real women, but I find the characters so much more believable then other books in the genre.

The story revolves around three very different women and, as a reader, you find your sympathies moving around too...characters that are qu...more
Sissi
J'aime beaucoup les romans de Marian Keyes, celui-ci ne fait pas exception à la règle. C'est drôle, ça se lit vite, on s'attache aux personnages qui sont toujours réussis et qui ne tombent pas dans le cliché. Ce n'est pas le mieux qu'elle ait écrit, mais ça se lit bien, malgré quelques longueurs.
Mary
I was fully prepared to hate this book. But once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. Marian Keyes has a gift of hooking you with very flawed characters - she makes no pretense of who they are - and then by the end, you love them like old friends.
  • Someone Like You
  • Getting Over It
  • The Go-To Girl
  • Practically Perfect
  • The Waitress
  • A Promising Man (and About Time, Too)
Marian Keyes, born September 10, 1963, is a popular Irish writer, considered to be one of the original progenitors of "chick lit". Keyes' first novel, Watermelon, was published in Ireland in 1995. Since then she has published seven further novels and two collections of non-fiction, and has sold 15 million copies of her books in 30 languages.

More about Marian Keyes...
Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1) Rachel's Holiday (Walsh Family, #2) Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4) Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married The Other Side of the Story