Start by marking “The Mysterious Matter of I. M. Fine” as Want to Read:
The Mysterious Matter of I. M. Fine

The Mysterious Matter of I. M. Fine (The Mysterious Matter of I. M Fine #1)

It started with jelly worms...Kids all over the country are acting strangely after reading the latest books in the mega-popular Chillers series. First, it's the seemingly innocent Jelly Worm fad. But it quickly turns sinister, with exploding headaches sweeping the nation, and then a serpent surprise that lands several kids, including Franny's little sister, in the hospital ...more
Published August 20th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Mysterious Matter of I. M. Fine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mysterious Matter of I. M. Fine

Miranda-Hermione
This little book was read to me and my classmates by the school librarian back in middle school. It was well below my reading level even then, and wasn't the sort of book I would ordinarily have picked up on my own anyway. I'm quite glad, therefore, that she took the time to read it to us, because otherwise I would have missed a delightful book.

The Mysterious Matter of I. M. Fine (and it's sequel, The Mysterious Case of the Allbright Academy) is my favorite kind of children's book: whimsical, f
♥ Caitlin
Probably a 3.5. I remember reading this book for class. I could really connect with the main character. Her favorite color was yellow, too. :)
Susan
Jun 23, 2017 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Probably a 3.5. This is a fun children's mystery about an author who was controlling people through her books. Franny, age 12, discovers this, and soon her friend Beamer is helping her solve the mystery. It was short and cute.
Anna Moseley
Feb 22, 2014 Anna Moseley rated it really liked it
I have no idea why this is the first book I have ever read by Diane Stanley because this was a really fun read. There were some parts that seemed a bit rushed but aside from that the book flowed very well. I think that target audience readers (recommended age range for this book is 8-12 according to my copy) would really enjoy this.

Although the narrator is a girl, I think that all readers would enjoy this book, no matter their gender. Franny is a sensible and easy to get behind heroine. The nar
Kelly Chik
The book The Mysterious Matter of I.M. Fine by Diane Stanley is a real page-turner. It is a speculative fiction book, which describes the mystery of a creepy phenomenon. It depicts a story about a young girl named Franny who notices something weird going on around town. She claims that a series of books named ‘Chillers’ by an author called I.M. Fine is causing the unusual activity that is taking place. She goes on a journey with the help of one of her friends named Beamer to try and find this my ...more
Adan Ramie
Mar 30, 2016 Adan Ramie rated it really liked it
I can definitely see why this book appealed to my daughter. I.M. Fine and the Chillers books are obvious references to R.L. Stine and the Goosebumps series. With the typical Boy and Girl best friend team determined to solve the mystery, Stanley gives us a fun, engaging throwback to the Goosebumps series that deals with fad behavior, fitting in, and fighting through the roadblocks to get to what you want.

The Mysterious Matter of I. M. Fine by Diane Stanley gets four out of five stars for being th
Lisa
Oh no! I.M. Fine, the writer of a horror series for children, seems to be controlling the minds of children through his books! Each time a new volume of Chillers comes out, its readers are compelled to do stranger and more dangerous things! AND ONLY FRANNY AND HER NEW FRIEND SCOTT CAN STOP IT!!!!! AGH!!!!!!

I thought this book was pretty charming--a fun, easy read--and I liked the friendship between the two main characters. Especially recommended for fans of R. L. Stine's Goosebumps series.
Hannah
Dec 13, 2013 Hannah rated it it was ok
I liked this book because the book was a good example of a fun filled adventure. Cranny and Beamer are on the hunt for the dirt on a mysterious author that's books might be causing fads ans sickness. With tons of trills here and there will Franny ever be able to stop it? Will I.M Fine have her fun and stop
This is a wonderful book but what I did not like was the ending. This book was getting really good then, the end. It was a goody goody ending everybody was happy nothing wrong done.
Over all thi
Jessie
Dec 13, 2013 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Kimberly
Jan 27, 2013 Kimberly rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very good. I read all the way from Chapter 17 to the end. I probably would have read the whole thing in one or two sittings if I did not have work to do. It kept my interest and had good vocabulary for children. I believe it will be good to teach reading comprehension through analyzing vocabulary through context clues. Also, it was a fun adventure, science-fiction. I am sure people would classify it as fiction, but the power of persuasion works in mysterious ways.
Jessi
Jan 22, 2012 Jessi added it
I read this for my YA lit study. It was a quick read, and not terrible, although I thought the ending was rather cliche. It would probably be a great, entertaining read for a fourth or fifth grader who enjoys mystery stories.

I was amused by the transparent use of "I.M Fine" and the "Chillers" series. It was nice to have a throwback to Goosebumps. XD
Beth
Jul 26, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
Pretty good. Read because my daughter recommended. Liked the friendship in the story. Good mystery. Quick read but did drag at some points. Would recommend to kids who like goosebumps or Mary Downing Hahn books.
B
Dec 31, 2011 B rated it it was ok
Summer Reading Club 5th grade. An author much like R.L. Stine is writing scary books that affect badly the people, mostly children, that read her. Frannie and her friend Beamer take it upon themselves to find this reclusive writer to confront her.
Sheralie
Mar 08, 2011 Sheralie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While at first glance it just seems like another mystery for children, it is actually a book about the power of fads. It takes trends to the furthest possibility to expose the weakness of not thinking first. I highly recommend for elementary school children!
Jonathan Hoskins
Oct 29, 2016 Jonathan Hoskins rated it it was amazing
This is one of the books I still remember from elementary, and it's with great fondness. Though primarily a satire on R.L. Stein's works, several themes are quite prominent, including the prevalence of fads and even the power of imagination.
Megan
A truly exciting book that will get you thinking. A mystery that doesn't explain itself in pure sight. It's a great book and I loved it. Couldn't keep my nose out of it and I finished it within 2 or 3 hours.
Konner
Feb 05, 2009 Konner rated it it was amazing
There's these mysterious books that when people read them mysterious things happen to them. The two main characters hunt to try and find the author of these books, I.M. Fine. Will they find the author or not?
Sheila  Summerhays
Aug 13, 2011 Sheila Summerhays rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good kids' book. They will likely stay interested.
Noah
Mar 28, 2011 Noah rated it did not like it
This book is just not a thriller
Lauren Mackenzie♥
This was a really cool mystery book!
Nancy
Great Read-aloud for October.
Sheena Gossett
Oct 11, 2015 Sheena Gossett rated it it was amazing
One of the most entertaining books I have read in some time. Pokes fun at the Goosebumps series and shows the susceptibility of people to be easily led into silly behaviors.
Xxslayerxx
I thought this book was pretty good except for one part the fact that they go and bother this old lady whos not writing books anymore so i dont get that.
Anna Murdock
Nov 08, 2013 Anna Murdock rated it liked it
Kyle is reading this for school, so I thought I would read it. It is a fun mystery for middle school age kids.
Abigail Martin
May 11, 2009 Abigail Martin rated it it was amazing
The Mystery of a author who writes storys that become real
vero xoxo :)
Feb 13, 2009 vero xoxo :) rated it it was amazing
Be yourself!
Jul 12, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Recommended by one of my kids, not a bad young adult book.
Dina
May 28, 2008 Dina rated it really liked it
I have never read a Goosebumps book but know plenty of kids who have, who will in turn enjoy this one. Highly recommend and not just to Goosebumps fans. Fun booktalk, too.
Kate Hastings
Jan 17, 2008 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Fun mystery and spoof of the Goosebumps series. Two friends try to figure out why an author's popular series is causing classmates to behave strangely after reading the books.
Earth
Oct 20, 2013 Earth rated it really liked it
Very good children book even I have enjoy it. I finish it in couple of hours just because I wanted to know if the kids can do any thing to stop it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Ghost of Fossil Glen
  • Never Pick up Hitch-hikers!
  • Widow's Revenge (Wesley Mackey, #2)
  • Christina's Ghost
  • Who Stole Halloween?
  • Crouching Tiger
  • Death's Door (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #4)
  • Freedom Song: The Story of Henry "Box" Brown
  • The Mary Celeste: An Unsolved Mystery from History
  • Barn Boot Blues
  • Dog Friday
  • 999 Frogs Wake Up

The Mysterious Matter of I. M Fine (2 books)
  • The Mysterious Case of the Allbright Academy