Start by marking “Cages” as Want to Read:
Cages

Cages

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  658 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Kit never means to steal the bracelet; it is just a dumb mistake. But when she is caught Kit is sentenced to twenty hours of volunteer work at the humane society. Kit knows how it feels to be stuck in a cage like those animals and soon she begins to learn that the key to her own cage is right in front of her.

"Readers will relate to [Kit's] anguish and her spirit and coura
Published June 25th 2001 by Puffin Books (first published 1991)

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsOld Yeller by Fred GipsonMarley and Me by John GroganThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
The dog dies...a cautionary list.
125th out of 187 books — 163 voters
The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsElla Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
Books for thirteen-year-old children
337th out of 384 books — 393 voters

More lists with this book...

Ellen Gail
Feb 14, 2016 Ellen Gail rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-faves
Do you ever suddenly remember a book from your childhood?

So here I am, all snuggled in bed prepared for sleep, looking all sexy with my bite guard in, when it hits me like a memory brick.

THIS BOOK. I haven't thought about it in years! It was like one of those soap opera moments when a character has their memory returned to them and everything comes rushing back. I feel like I could bitch slap someone or accuse them of stealing my baby. MY MEMORIES WERE JUST RETURNED TO ME! I need dramatic music
Lizz
Aug 11, 2011 Lizz rated it really liked it
I read this book in 7th grade. It was the first book I cried over (shortly followed by Where the Red Fern Grows) and that really opened me up to the world of reading. Of course, I had always loved to read, but I never thought that a book could actually affect me like that. It made me realize the true potential that books have to affect our lives.
Nola Decker
Jan 24, 2015 Nola Decker rated it liked it
Shelves: mg
CAGES is an engaging story of a young girl who has a bad day and makes a mistake. She is caught shoplifting a bracelet and as part of her punishment is sentenced to do community service at the humane society.

The story is a bit didactic but well-written enough that a tween or pre-tween could read it without feeling preached at. Poor Kit--she has a lot working against her: an alcoholic step-dad, a failed attempt to capture the lead in the school play, a cheerfully oblivious nemesis, and dreams for
 Marla
Edgy book that deal with some ugly topics of shoplifting, drinking and unpleasant home situations for a young tween or teen reader.

Likes:
* Topic of shoplifting
(view spoiler)
Elizabeth
Aug 01, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Books Kids Like
Oct 06, 2013 Books Kids Like rated it really liked it
Shelves: kehret-peg
At the end of the school year, Kit Hathaway must give a speech about shoplifting. She closes her speech with, "It's stupid to take such a chance." A boy in her class challenges this statement, and Kit isn't sure she's willing to explain herself. Can she admit that her speech was based on first-hand experience? Kit's mind goes back to the day she found her step-father on an alcoholic binge. She refused to pick up a glass he broke, and she leaves the house with his words, "nothing but a stupid lit ...more
Regina
Feb 19, 2009 Regina rated it really liked it
My fourth grade daughter and I read this book together; we each took turns reading a chapter at a time. The book had a Accelerated Reading score slightly above her level and I wanted to help push her along to more sophisticated chapter books.
Some of the subject matter introduced in the book might seem to be a little advanced for an elementary school aged child: personal jealousies and anger with friends, an alcoholic step-father, shoplifting, etc. However, I felt that the author did an excellent
Jim Robles
Feb 12, 2014 Jim Robles rated it really liked it
We have shoplifters who appear before the Community Accountability Board read this and write a book report. I suspect that the literati do not consider this to be great literature, but I like it very much.

This one can, at least in part, be filed under "Stoic Philosophy."

The eleventh book I have finished this year.
Mandy Blackburn
Sep 03, 2015 Mandy Blackburn rated it it was amazing
This book had me in tears at parts. Life for Kit is not easy but she learns that she has the power to make it better and to also let go what she cannot control.
Moriah
Nov 01, 2014 Moriah rated it really liked it
This book is one of my childhood favorites, no matter how many times I read it I always end up crying it is just both sad and beautiful
Angelina30x
Mar 29, 2009 Angelina30x rated it really liked it
This book was very good. It wasn't one of my favorites but I did enjoy reading it. It seemed like everything kept going wrong for Kit which makes people really relate to a book like this. Peg Kehret did a good job with the chararistics. I was able to visualize the events and people. Peg gave me a good understanding and feeling on how it is to live with a drunk stepdad or things turning out the way you havn't expected it to have turned out. It taught me that if you do bad actions theres bad conse ...more
Scott Williams
074a23d8-efd0-44b0-8a8d-addaa1360d3c
Savannah B

Kit Hathaway goes for the lead in the school play.When Kit does not make it in the school play she goes home to her drunken step father Wayne and her mother she calls Dorthy.when Wayne calls her an animal and brakes a glass on the floor, she has had it.Kit decides to go to the mall by her self and sees someone she does not wish to see.Kit gets arrested and someone does not want people to know.

I would recommend this book to sixth graders because it can teach you lessons you might need in the futu
Anna
Mar 15, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it
I really liked this book a lot. It was filled with tones of action in it.
J~a~z~z~i~e
It was a great book!
Jessica
Aug 22, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I'll be honest- I read this book because it was short and I was running out of time for the library summer reading program last summer. It was one of those books I owned, but had kind of forgotten about/looked past. But when I started reading, I was entirely pulled in! It's such an interesting, good story about how decisions affect us, and it's very well-written and realistic. The humor is hilarious, too. Five stars.
Karen
Jul 18, 2007 Karen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: upper elementary
Shelves: childrenslit
I love reading this book to 4th-6th grade students. It lends itself to many intriguing discussion. The book follows the plight of a young girl who impulsively shoplifts after an ugly scene at home with a drunken step-father. How she works through life's disappointments and finds her way out of several complicated situations rings true with children facing difficult life choices. A great study in character development.
Tricia
Nov 28, 2011 Tricia rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I remember that I read this in 5th or 6th grade and the memory has stayed with me all this time. I still think about it sometimes when I look in to my dog's eyes. It was the first book to open my eyes to animal rights. I would recommend that parents encourage their children to read this book as a means to develop empathy and a respect for all God's creatures-- it certainly worked for me.
Buzzword
Oct 07, 2008 Buzzword rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literary-text
Frustrated junior high-school student impulsively shoplifts and gets caught then is sentenced to provide public service at a local animal shelter. She must face her problems, including her alcoholic step-father and her mother's denial as she finds solutions to regain self-respect and hope for her future.

R.L. 660L
Classroom Use: Shared or Guided reading

10 copies available
Emily G
Mar 05, 2013 Emily G rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5th-roberts
This book is about a little girl who gets caught stealing, so she has to do service work at an animal shelter, but she figures out after a couple of days the animals get executed. She doesn't want them to die so what does she do read the book and find out. I liked this book because as you read you won't want to stop. So if you love animals read this book.
Brittany
Nov 03, 2011 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young teens and anyone with teenagers.
The main person is really a cool girl. She is a young girl that is fun but somehow is always getting in some kind of trouble. The book goes through lots of emotions as well. It goes from just knowing her to making her your friend to being disappointed in her to sad for her yet happy for her. I love this book and would read it ten more times!
Jessica
May 11, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: made-me-cry
Probably the first book ever that really made me sob. I hate that about it. I've only read it once. It's probably what's caused me to turn off to anything, books, movies, etc., that makes me cry. Like Atonement. Anyway, it's definatly wroth anyones time. Especially if you really need to cry. Cause it is sad.
Robyn
Oct 25, 2010 Robyn rated it it was ok
This cook was a little bit sad. It's about this girl named Kit Hathway. She stole a golden braclet because she was mad and jelous. So now she has to do Community Servises. Kit has problems with her family and thelling the truth. Will she tell her best friend or kept it a secret from her?
Vicki
Apr 22, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: tween
Kit's overwhelming problems, not getting the lead in school play & stepfather drinking cause Kit impulsively steal a bracelet & get caught. She does community services at the humane soceity, where she feels she is as caged as the animals. Only facing the truth sets her free.
Hannah
Sep 27, 2008 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Older readers who like sad books
Shelves: books-for-girls
Shoplifer, not quite the word Kit wants to be discribed as. Now she has been sentenced by a juvenile court committee. Assigned twenty hours at the humane society, she falls in love with a terrier named Lady. Her hours are almost over, but what will happen to Lady?
Book Him Danno
Jan 06, 2011 Book Him Danno rated it liked it
I read this with the kids and I think the girl was as much in a cage as the dogs she helped with at the shelter. She felt lost and misunderstood by everyone. A kind teacher helps and so do good friends and understanding parents. The kids and I enjoyed the story.
Jayme
Jan 30, 2009 Jayme rated it really liked it
I read this book a really long time ago. I remember it was going to be put on the banned list for language so I hurried to read it. It was good, in the sense of the conveyance of themes through the writing.
Brooklyn F
Feb 21, 2010 Brooklyn F rated it really liked it
Shelves: action-adventure
i really liked this book. it was about this girl who got into trouble with the police and and to do some communtiy servie work so she worked at the human society untill she had 20yrs of work put in.
Alisse
May 26, 2011 Alisse rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was amazing. I thought it was amazing because it talks about a girl who shoplifts and gets caught. She really felt bad about shoplifting. This is one of my favorite books.
Florence Lee
Oct 14, 2014 Florence Lee rated it really liked it
I like how it gives a lesson in a straight forward way. And its touching at the same time :D
  • Weasel
  • Nasty, Stinky Sneakers
  • The Cry of the Crow
  • Megan's Island
  • The Silent Storm
  • Stacey and the Mystery Money (Baby-Sitters Club Mystery, #10)
  • A Dog's Way Home
  • The Lost Flower Children
  • Dog
  • Kathleen: The Celtic Knot
  • Tracker
Peg Kehret writes middle grade fiction and nonfiction. She's won dozens of state children's choice awards, where kids vote for their favorite book.

When she was twelve, Peg was paralyzed with polio. Most of her protagonists are the age she was then.

A volunteer with animal rescue groups, three of Peg's books are co-authored by Pete the Cat."
More about Peg Kehret...

“When they lock the door, climb out the window. – Mr. Morrison, volunteer at the Humane Society” 4 likes
“Act like a criminal and that's how you'll be treated.” 3 likes