Start by marking “Slicker” as Want to Read:
Slicker

Slicker

Even life in the greatest city in the world can sometimes feel like a little too much. For this New Yorker, running away to the Heartland may be just the antidote.

When New York City native Desirée Christian-Cohen flees her sometime-boyfriend, unhappy mother, Nina (who's recently learned her soon-to-be ex-husband Patrick is gay), and failing grandfather, she picks the fligh
Published August 3rd 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published July 26th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Slicker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slicker

gille
Dec 06, 2012 gille rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiftyfiftyme
I can't lie, I was pretty disappointed by this book. It was overly prose-y and I was so bored it took me like two weeks to read 260 something pages. I really liked Posh, but I was not that into Slicker at all. I didn't connect with any of the characters, I didn't feel sympathy for them, and I generally did not care what happened to them. I am not looking for a sequel, it doesn't really matter to me what happens to Desiree or Nina.

I felt like Jackson was trying to be literate, to use fancy words
Martha
Feb 11, 2011 Martha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay. The book should come with at label to warn readers of the horrible language throughout the book. The characters were all selfish and only seemed concerned with sex. The premise of the book started out as a cute idea, that is why I picked it up. But by the end the book is about gay marriage and that love (not platonic or family), no matter who loves who, should be the most important thing in life and everyone else needs to be happy for them. What a book to ruin my day. Don't even bother pic ...more
Julie
Feb 01, 2011 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
This was ok. I agree with one of the other reviews about the ending. I was so disappointed. It fell flat and left too much hanging. My general feeling was that the book mocked traditional values and life outside of NYC. As a reader from a city in the midwest I was irritated over and over again by the author's protrayal of country life and the people. Does she really think everyone outside of NYC is a complete uneducated idiot?
Ronya Misleh
Don't bother. Reminded me of a poor man's Sweet Home Alabama except for the fact that, because it was a book, I couldn't fast forward through the bad parts (of which there were many). I know I could have stopped reading, but it was like a train wreck.
Aw
Sep 08, 2010 Aw rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story til the end. It's totally flat. Nothing worse then plugging along reading a book to find the ending lacking in substance. Kind of like working and not getting paid at the end of the week.
Lindsey
Oct 23, 2011 Lindsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
..read half of it ..lost interest.
Rebecca
Apr 18, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Kevin Connery
Sep 03, 2011 Kevin Connery rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Good characters, decent storyline (if incomplete), decent setup, but the very odd 3rd-person narrative mode variant felt very pretentious, and made it hard to get involved in the story. Similarly, the very thing the author used the same approach to stereotypes that she had the main character objecting to. (If this was deliberate, it was too subtle for me to identify; it felt like she was deliberately putting down people just as she had her negative characters in the book doing.)
Patricia
Nov 25, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read. Young woman moves from New York to Honey Creek, Kansas and has adventures. Author Lucy Jackson, by the way, is a fake name for Marian Thurm. Honey Creek, KS is a fake name, too.

Food: I guess a good fake snack would be marshmallows. You think you're eating something when you snack on marshmallows but then you realize you've eaten, like, nothing. You've swallowed a chunk of sweet air.
elliereads
Cute enough story, so two stars for "it was ok," but the author made people who live in small farm towns, look stupid, racist, and homophobic. She also chose to incorporate every negative stereotype into every Christian character. That was not okay.
Constance Michelle Nestler
I'm glad I got this at the Dollar Tree and didn't pay full retail for it. No character development. No real ending. I wouldn't have liked the ending they were hinting at anyway. I liked the mother's storyline more than the spoiled daughter's.
Caroline Greig
I wanted to like this book more than I did but still found worth persevering with.
Julie White
Sep 10, 2013 Julie White rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read 5 pages before I took it back to the library.
Lesley
Apr 02, 2015 Lesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college, nyc, summer, weddings
Weirdly, this isn't the first book I've read in which a character transfers from an Ivy League school to the University of Kansas.
Kelly
nope, it took about 5 chapters for me to realize no good.
Rachel Reiners
I do not agree with the review on the cover but it wasn't a horrible read. A story of one's self discovery and love at the age of 20.
Melflowers
It was an ok book. I will definitly read more from the author.
jessica wilson
Leaps and bounds more enjoyable to me than Posh. I think maybe because the characters were more interesting (quirky) and the overall mini-stories all tied into each other.
LInda L
Sep 16, 2010 LInda L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute as a button -- I liked it a lot. wonderful descriptions of a small town.
April
May 13, 2013 April rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
average story with a weak ending.
Serena
Serena rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2014
Noreen Connor
Noreen Connor rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2011
Kerrin Tracy
Kerrin Tracy rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2010
Jonie
Jonie rated it did not like it
Nov 14, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Sep 09, 2010
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2011
Kelly
Kelly rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2016
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2010
Breia Brissey
Breia Brissey rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Libby
Libby rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Leaving Rock Harbor
  • The One That Got Away (Hen Night Prophecies #1)
  • Bittersweet
  • She Thief
  • Virtual Strangers
  • Ten Minutes from Home: A Memoir
  • Do They Know I'm Running?
  • False Profits (Tucker Sinclair, #1)
  • Hook, Line and Sink Him
  • Le brave ragazze combinano guai
  • The Six-Liter Club