Start by marking “Lick Me: How I Became Cherry Vanilla” as Want to Read:
Lick Me: How I Became Cherry Vanilla

Lick Me: How I Became Cherry Vanilla

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In this sexually open and disarming account of her life and the era, Cherry Vanilla tells all about her personal successes and failures and in the process explores every aspect of the music industry during its most electrifying era--complete with detours through the sexual revolution, the women's liberation movement, and the theater of the ridiculous. From her rise from hu ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Chicago Review Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lick Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lick Me

Nigeyb
Despite being a witness to some extraordinary times, and having access to many noteworthy people, this is a surprisingly tedious read. Cherry Vanilla places herself at the centre of this book and her life - for all the copious amounts of drugs she took, and countless sexual partners - is, well, a bit dull.

I have a keen interest in both David Bowie and the UK punk scene, both covered in the book, and yet even these sections didn’t engage me much.

I found the early chapters about Cherry Vanilla’s c
Nycdreamin
Released on 11/01/10 (Chicago Review Press - list price $24.95), Lick Me: How I Became Cherry Vanilla is the almost impossible to put down story of how little Kathleen Dorritie, a music loving kid from New York City, grew up to be what she always wanted to be: Cherry Vanilla - a friend, lover and confidante to rock stars...and eventually became a rock star herself.

Cherry, at various times in her long climb of self discovery and invention, has found her talents as a poet, a Madison Avenue ad writ
Oyster
Just like Joan, Cherry Vanilla knows how to lean in to the career challenges of working in male-dominated industries. Her tell-all memoir is a good reminder that well-behaved women rarely make history.
Catherine
I love a good groupie book but they are few and far between. I'm always holding them up to the gold standard, I'm with the Band by Pamela Des Barres, and most in the genre fall short. Before reading this, I knew of Cherry Vanilla as an executive working for David Bowie's management company and also as a 70s personality, but she really was a groupie in every icky sense of the word (servicing tour bus drivers, etc.). She had enormous amounts of fun but had a lot of problems, sexual, substance, and ...more
Deb Watson
The author does a good job of chronicling the eras from the 1950's to the 1970's. If you are uncomfortable with detailed sex and drugs, this book is not for you. What is a bit confusing is the illusion that the author is going to tell you how her music career took off as a result of the relationships she formed, when in reality her own music career falls short. At times it does seem forced when she name drops.

Overall the book is interesting and colorfully written. She etched out a fabulous DJ an
Linda Lauren
There are no words to express how out of touch with common decency this person was, and apparently still is. She actually gives women and especially groupies, a bad name! There is a fine line between being a groupie who enjoys the music and a sexual deviant without an inch of self respect. Despicable.....
S
This book sounded like a bunch of name dropping which was boring, maybe cause I didn't know many of the names. Then she glossed over the interesting part, which was her solo career, it's failure, and her descent into madness and homelessness. Seriously, she summed it up in like two sentences. Even all the sex and drugs were boring! But, I did youtube her and came up with some interesting stuff so it wasn't a total loss.
Alex
A fascinating look into the life of a woman who breaks into the advertising world of Madison Avenue and poises herself into the world of sexy drugs and rock and roll, cherry vanillas book floats between being a shocking tell all and an important piece of history that documents the darker side of rock.
AJ
---

This book was kind of on-and-off for me. I got tired of reading about how many guys she did, and couldn't keep any of the names straight. That said, she has lived on heck of an interesting life.
Karen
Entertaining, but loses steam towards the end.
Melissa Joy
Perfect trashy reading.
Valentina
Valentina marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Melinda
Melinda is currently reading it
Aug 31, 2015
Dasha
Dasha marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Keely
Keely marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Amy
Amy added it
Apr 18, 2015
Mary Kate
Mary Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Cherry Vanilla (born Kathleen Dorritie) is an American singer-song writer, publicist, and actress. After working as an actress in Andy Warhol's Pork, she worked as a publicist for David Bowie, before finding fame as a rock singer. She subsequently became a publicist for Vangelis.
More about Cherry Vanilla...
Les Papiers De Ziggy Stardust