Start by marking “The Dog Next Door: And Other Stories of the Dogs We Love” as Want to Read:
The Dog Next Door: And Other Stories of the Dogs We Love

The Dog Next Door: And Other Stories of the Dogs We Love

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Dogs are truly one of God's finest creatures, a marvelous gift for us humans. In the perfect follow-up to "A Prince among Dogs," Callie Smith Grant compiles a delightful collection of true stories that celebrate the dogs in our lives. These stories will touch our hearts, renew our spirits, and show us how God made these wonderful creatures for unique purposes.
Readers will
Published June 1st 2011 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Next Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Next Door

Jeanie
I love dogs and the stories that come along with dogs. We have a dog. Got her has a puppy about 12 years ago. She is border collie. She has a freckled face and tail that struts when she walks. She has taught me about devotion. Something that you need to learn by example and she has been that for me. She is totally devoted to my husband. She greets him with a bark and the wag of her tail and jumps all over him. She also watches him closely to make sure that if he needs anything, she will come to ...more
SheLove2Read
Dec 26, 2011 SheLove2Read rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dog lovers / animal lovers
Shelves: 2011
Anyone who is a dog lover, like me, will enjoy this book. It's filled with stories of dogs as they become part of a family, save lives, find the lost and brave danger. Parts are so sad it makes you cry, but in a good way because you know that dog and family had a wonderful life together. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sharon L Shanks
An easy read that is filed with living stories about how dogs enrich our lives

An easy read that is filed with living stories about how dogs enrich our lives

if you are a dog lover, you will like this book. As I read the book my feelings about all the animals I have loved in my life came flooding to the surface. I have lost three animals in the last year but, I have so much love that I have new animals in my life. This book reminded me why I keep opening my heart to my furry friends. Because they
janet b. medlin
Furry Tears, Rough Tongues and Laughter

No one could read these stories without remembering tears that flowed as their own dogs licked tears and pain away with rough tongues and unconditional love. Add to that laughter which makes a heart sing. I have had such "friends" and "children". JBM
Max Watson
As a definite dog lover, I loved this book, a collection of short stories from dog owners. Don't trust me, get and read it, if you are a dog lover, you will enjoy this book.
CATHERINE N HELLER
Great Stories About God's Amazing Creatures

This was a great book filled with heartwarming stories about dogs. I was sad to come to the end of the book.
Carol
What a sweet idea for a book! Normally not a fan of short stories, but each one is a real-life account of how one dog changed someone's life. Great for any dog lover!
Mark Wilshire
It is a cute book. It's about a bunch of different stories of dogs who protect and love and care for their owners. I am glad I chose this book to read.
Shelley
Great book for anyone who has ever loved a dog. There is a bit of a christian theme which is OK for me, just might turn off some folks. Just sayin.
Karen
good book.

I enjoyed reading about all the different dogs and how they helped their owners or whoever was in need at the time
LillianBredholt
Reminded me of my Toto and coco

Enjoyed the stories so much. I could read for a short time or a long time. It fit in for me.
Deborah
When you're a dog lover, stories about man's best friend are always appealing. This book is a lovely compilation of dog stories.
Cheryl Ann Ann
great, fun stories. the formatting was totally off for kindle which was a bit frustrating.
Lauraine Snelling
Being a dog lover at heart, I always enjoy dog stories. This compilation both entertained and taught how many different ways dogs try to take care of their people. A real tribute to our canine friends.
Lillian
This book of shorts stories shows us that dogs are meant to be a part of our lives.
Jack
Yesterday a biker story, today a book about dogs. Can my reading get any better? Anyway, this book is stories written by dog owners about their beloved critters. Maybe only a dog lover like me could appreciate these stories. Whatever. These are mostly touching accounts of how these people found their dogs, how they bonded with them and stories of their lives together. Each one is special. If you love dogs and appreciate them as friends like me, you will enjoy this read.
I enjoyed reading the stories of dogs giving unconditional love to everyone, humans, dogs and other animals. However, after about the first 10 stories, it just felt like the stories were repeated over and over, so they got to be a little boring. I also didn't care for the stories that centered around God bringing the dog into their lives or people buying purebred dogs for show. I appreciate those who adopt the "unwanted" or "stray" dogs... Overall, the book was just 'ok'.
Judy Roumillat
Kept it in the car to read during those times I had to wait a few minutes here or there. It was a fun book to read in doctor's waiting rooms, etc. Short stories like the "Chicken Soup" series. Often a conversation starter when people noticed the picture on the cover. Enjoyed the stories as well as the fellowship with other dog lovers it invited. Want to donate it to my vet's waiting room but am not ready to give it up yet because I loved it so much.
Michael
If you are a dog lover, then you will like this book - a collection stories from current and previous dog owners and the impact that these fine creatures have had on their lives. Each chapter is a unique story, making the book one that can easily be finished or can be set aside and to be read a story or two at a time.

Each story will make you remember your own dog or the dog of a friend or neighbor. It also may make you want to go acquire dog.
Dave
Dec 19, 2014 Dave rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Fun short stories for all ages of dog owners.
Heidi
I love the book's premise and have enjoyed and been moved by similar titles. Nevertheless, this work seemed to have scraped stories from the sides and bottom of the barrel. The narratives were for the most part poorly written; the stories actually rather dull and a bit pointless. Amateur is the word I would use to describe this well-intentioned effort, which is rather too bad.
Gail Starr
This is a book of short stories about dogs and their incredible devotion to their owners. There's the typical rescue from a fire story, but mostly stories of how the dog and owner came to each other. Stories of each dog knowing exactly what their master needed and when. If you like dogs you're sure to love this book.
Peggy
This book is a collection of short articles written by various people telling of their experiences with a special dog in their life. As a dog lover, I can relate to many of the articles. Some of them made me laugh, some made me sad, most brought back good memories of those special dogs in my life.
Lisa
This was a book of short stories written by people who have been owned by dogs :-) Some were sweet, some were sappy...some I could have done without. The writing was obviously not by professional writers. Imagine a Reader's Digest write-in contest.
Virginia
This collection of heartwarming true stories is sure to delight dog lovers everywhere! Yes, I do have a story in this book, but I'd enjoy this book even if I didn't. Dog enthusiasts who enjoy "Chicken Soup-type" stories won't want to miss this one.
Patricia Amundson
These are true stories of pets and their owners. You really have to read this book to really appreciate it. Some of the stories are really touching. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who is an animal lover!
Karen
This was a delightful collection of short stories for those of us who love our dogs. Animal lovers would enjoy reading of the interactions between people and pets.
Marilyn
If you love dogs, or animals in general, then you will love these stories. Some sad, some happy, you can relate to them. Very good book.
Kelley
Most of the stories were good, but there's always some that I wonder why that was chosen. 3 1/2 stars.
Iris Smale
Sweet stories. Some better than others, but a good read if you like short doggie stories.
  • Tales from a Dog Catcher
  • No Dogs in Heaven?: Scenes from the Life of a Country Veterinarian
  • Dogs I Have Met: And the People They Found
  • Finding Christmas: Stories of Startling Joy and Perfect Peace
  • Shelter Dogs
  • Rescue Ink: How Ten Guys Saved Countless Dogs and Cats, Twelve Horses, Five Pigs, One Duck,and a Few Turtles
  • Love Like a Dog
  • The Dog That Talked to God
  • All My Patients Kick and Bite: More Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • Don't Dump the Dog: Advice from America's Favorite Dog Rescuer
  • Love Is the Best Medicine: What Two Dogs Taught One Veterinarian about Hope, Humility, and Everyday Miracles
  • Going Home: Finding Peace When Pets Die
  • Pups in Tea Cups
  • Vet Tech Tales: The Early Years (Confessions of an Animal Junkie)
A Dickens of a Cat: And Other Stories of the Cats We Love A Prince Among Dogs: and Other Stories of the Dogs We Love The Cat in the Window: And Other Stories of the Cats We Love Janie's Freedom: African Americans in the Aftermath of Civil War The Dog at My Feet: Stories of the Dogs We Love