Virtual War (Virtual War Chronologs, #1)

Virtual War (Virtual War Chronologs #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Imagine a life of virtual reality -- a childhood contained in a controlled environment, with no human contact or experiences outside of the world of computer-generated images.

Corgan has been genetically engineered by the Federation for quick reflexes, high intelligence, and physical superiority. Everything Corgan is, everything he has ever seen or done, was to prepare him...more
Published May 11th 2010 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published June 1st 1997)

Robert B.  Healy III
I read this book back when I was in the sixth grade (2002/2003), after finding it in the school library and being very much interested in the premise given on the back cover. I recall throughly enjoying it then -- I couldn't put it down! I've been thinking back on all the books I've read during my middle school years over the recent months, and this one caused much nostalgia in me; I believe it may have even been my first taste of the science fiction genre!

I'm so glad I found it here. I have be...more
P.M.
14 year old Corgan has sepent his whole life in his Box where he has been raised by Mendor, a computer program who appears as both loving Mother and stern Father. He has been genetically engineered to have fast reflexes so he and his team can win the virtual war to settle the claims to ownership of the Isles of Hiva. Sharla, also 14, is a code breaking expert and Mutant Brig has a genius intellect and is the Strategist. Corgan has never has physical contact with another human being until Sharla...more
Chris
I read this way back...probably close to when it came out in 1997 or 98 as a kid checking it out of my school's library. And what is funny is that so much has stuck with me. I had forgotten the name and author, and the characters names, but i vivdly remeber the war game, the three roles of the "players" the ending, the time when the main character broke the rules to see life on the outside of his box. I look forward to rereading this soon, and to catch up on the sequels.
Lauren
I would describe this book as basically an easier, not-as-good version of Ender's Game. It takes place in a future that has been ravaged by super diseases and where the three major world super powers have agreed to engage in a virtual war over some uncontaminated islands. Three genetically-engineered young people have been raised and trained their entire life to fight the war: Corgan with super precision, dexterity, and timing, Sharla a code-breaking wiz-kid, and ten-year-old Brig who is physica...more
Adam
This book gave me nightmares. Another wonderful sci fi dystopia book. I love it. This book is up there with The City Of Ember, The Hunger Games, and The Giver for me. It is sooo sad though.
Jeanette
Good guy book and a way to start into harder science fiction. Good freshmen read.
Michelle Toolson
I really liked this book. Gloria is from Salt Lake so I wondered if she was Mormon. Her book was very much like what I want to do as well. While she used –ly words (though very rarely actually-I had to look for them almost) it was her writing that was great-it was succinct and to the point. She didn’t have a lot of miscellaneous stuff-she stayed in the present which made everything easy to grasp. Also, it was kind of like a mix of Enders Game and Brave New World, so it was a fascinating storylin...more
Helen
Aug 21, 2010 Helen rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one older than 12
Rachael
I vaguely remember this book because I picked it up thinking it would be an interesting read and I needed AR points (Accelerated Reader program for those unaware). It was ok, truly. The writing was ok, the story was ok, the diction was ok. Basically, this boom didn't really try to achieve anything. The story just kinda meandered and I felt the entire "ooo shadowy overlord group with mysterious intentions training us for something bigger" bit could've been better. It was mediocre.
The whole book...more
Eccentrika
In un mondo virtuale la guerra è soltanto un immenso videogioco...

Molto carino questo libro! Non sono un'appassionata di fantascienza, ma di questo ne sono rimasta affascinata, nonché presissima dalla storia, che ho letto di un fiato in un solo giorno. Parla di realtà virtuale, mutazioni genetiche, bambini nati in provetta... proprio niente male!
Charissa
I had to read this for a writing conference I'm going to soon. Skurznski will be there to talk. This is YA fiction. It reminded me of Ender's Game a little. My son is liking it. It is written very simply from Corgan's point of view. He is a genetically engineered boy designed to help a Federation win their virtual war against others. His teammates, Sharla (decoder) and Brigg (strategist) are also child prodigys whose only goal is to help the Federation win so that they can claim an uncontaminate...more
Michelle White
I could not put this book down. When I searched it on goodreads just now, I saw that it is the first book in a series. After this class is over, I want to find the rest and read them. Virtual War puts a new twist on the traditional futuristic tale. I think students would enjoy this book to. I could make them think about the future and what they think it will be like. I could have them write a story on what they think the future is like. I put this on the chapter book and fantasy/science fiction...more
J.
What it lacks in stylistic flourish it more than makes up for in solid plotting and good pacing. Some interesting, though not terribly new, exploration of masculinity (especially the way that gender ideology is forced on to boys as they move through the barrier of childhood into early adolescence). I found myself really wishing that Skurzynski had more fully fleshed out her thoughts on virtual worlds and identity, but there's enough here to make some important points. Recommended.
Emily Kaufman
The year is 2082 and Corgan is the fastest human being ever created. Contamination has ruined Earth due to nuculear war,so we are living in domed cities. But the Isles of Hiva (Hawaii)has been uncontaminated but nobody knows why. The council has planed to have a virtual war over who can have the Isles of Hiva. Will Corgan win the War?
Mrs. Smith
This is the first book in a chronlogy of books, but I am not so sure that I will read the next one. The concept was fascinating, the characters were all quite interesting, but the writing was weak.

All that being said, I still enjoyed this read.
Rebecca
I read this book for the first time in middle school, but it's a book that I have also read much more recently because I really enjoyed the story. That said, I think it is good for young adults through adults. It was well-written and interesting.
Angie
futuristic. first in series, familiar theme of humans kept separate from each other for fear of germs, lots of AI, and then the young hero's discovery of more to life than his cell. kind of reminds me of parts of the movie The Island. cool.
Booksarentcoolanymore
it was a weird book. only flavored soybeans to eat how could you survive that you wouldn't have all of the nutrients that you needed so you wouldn't survive. it was just a weird book all together.
Ledawn
My first Sci-Fi for Elementary grades I've ever read and liked enough to read more of the same. Would recommend to 5-8 grades.
Ms. Foley
If you liked "The Hunger Games" try this--it came out before "The Hunger Games" but it is still relevent.
Kim Valentine
Author will visit Auburn Elementary School.
Baxter Teens
Oct 25, 2007 Baxter Teens rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans
A great, quick sci-fi read
Sharon Mariampillai
Sharon Mariampillai marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Beverly Seitz
Beverly Seitz marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Brittany Endejan
Brittany Endejan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Shayla Locke
Shayla Locke marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
  • Interstellar Pig (Interstellar Pig #1)
  • The Silenced
  • The Secret Under My Skin
  • The Guardener's Tale
  • Nature's End
  • Cherry Heaven
  • The Inferior (The Bone World Trilogy, #1)
  • The Edge of Darkness
  • Shade's Children
  • I Had Seen Castles
  • The Complex (Linx, # 1)
  • Falling Hard: 100 Love Poems by Teenagers
  • Tribes
  • Suckerpunch
"May you live in interesting times."

That ambiguous wish was not meant to be kind, because interesting times can be difficult. You and I certainly live in interesting times - dangerous, challenging, and fascinating.

My parents were born just before the start of the twentieth century; my youngest grandchild arrived in this century's final decade. The years in between have been the most dynamic in the
More about Gloria Skurzynski...
The Minstrel in the Tower Devastation (Virtual War Chronologs #1-2) The Clones (Virtual War Chronologs, #2) Wolf Stalker (Mysteries in Our National Parks, #1) Cliff-Hanger (Mysteries in Our National Park #3)