Start by marking “And They All Sang: Adventures of an Eclectic Disc Jockey” as Want to Read:
And They All Sang: Adventures of an Eclectic Disc Jockey

And They All Sang: Adventures of an Eclectic Disc Jockey

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Throughout the second half of the twentieth century, Studs Terkel hosted a legendary daily radio show in Chicago, presenting listeners with his inimitable take on an eclectic range of music, from classical, opera, and jazz to gospel, blues, folk, and rock. "And They All Sang" is nothing less than a tribute to musicOCOs universality and power ("Philadelphia Inquirer"), feat ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by New Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about And They All Sang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And They All Sang

What stands out in this book is how well Terkel was prepared for any guest. He knows and incredible amount about them (contrasted to annoying radio types who will do an interview and even admit, “I haven’t read the book”.)

Aaron Copeland, interviewed in 1961:

“Composers have very bad reputations as conductors. They’re known to be generally inadequate on the podium. It’s understandable, because after all, composing and conducting are two very different activities … You might know, and most compo
It took me awhile to get into this book because the first section consisted of interviews with classical artists and those from the opera. Sadly my musical knowledge in those areas is lacking.

Once I reached the musicians I was familiar with, the book was a gift! Songs played in my head as they were mentioned and their synthesis described. Many of the artists have since passed away, so it was wonderful to remember them and learn more about them in their own words. The ones that really resonated
Classic Studs Terkel. Fascinating from start to finish, inspiring and informative. Will make you wish you could hear all of the interviews. It certainly gave me a list of albums to check out from the library. Terkel is a gift for American history--I always feel closer to an understanding of my nation and her experiences and the people who have come before us. Lovely.
You don't know music like Studs knows music.

Oh, you may think you know, but you don't. Studs Terkel has spent most of his adult life talking to people, and most of those people have been musicians. In his long and storied career, he has interviewed some of the greatest names in music. This is a collection of a few of them.

In this book, he talks to opera stars, blues singers, concert pianists, jazz trumpeters, scat musicians and folk song bards. They tell Studs about their relationship with music
And They All Sang: Adventures of and Eclectic Disc Jockey, by Studs Terkel (The New Press 2005) is typical Terkel; it's a series of 40 interviews with "musical figures of our time." The book is a little outdated; the most contemporary of the interviewees are Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan (from 1962) and Ravi Shankar. Also of interest to me were interviews with the Rev. Thomas Dorsey (writer of "Precious Lord Take My Hand" aka "the Black National Anthem," Woody Guthrie, and Pete Seeger. Note: I was luc ...more
i didn't like this as much as other studs books, but i think maybe it was because i really struggled to relate to the first half to two-thirds, because it was solely about opera. opera... well, i find it pleasurable to listen to, but i don't have the background or context to read much about it, especially in the familiar style studs is so good at.
A great series of interviews with prominent 20th-century musicians, done by one of our greatest journalists. Half the book is focused on classical music (a good portion of that is opera, which doesn't interest me), but the other half is jazz, folk, and other idioms. A great read!
Studs is still here, folks. This is a compilation of interviews on his radio program that are priceless and document not only where Studs was in his own life, but the subjects as well. They come off in a wonderfully elegant stream-of-consciousness way. Great and quick read.
A.H. Haar
If you've ever seen an interview with this darling man, you'll know why I fell so madly in love with him. I'll admit, though, that I read only the interviews of the musicians I already knew and admired. But I look forward to discovering the rest.
Irreplaceable interviews with musicians of the 20th century, by one of the great cultural historians of the 20th century. He runs the gamut from John Jacob Niles to Bob Dylan, and everyone in between.
Feb 07, 2009 Beth is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Conversations with some of the greatest musicians (Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie Louis Armstrong, Janice Joplin, Leonard Bernstein, and lots more) by the late, great Studs Terkel.
Leonard Bernstein said it best, “In the olden days, everybody sang. You were expected to sing as well as talk. It was the mark of a cultured man to sing, to know music.”
Oct 16, 2007 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Studs is a great storyteller. Lots of cool interviews with music and entertainment legends. Read this one for sure!
Studs affirms the old Woody Guthrie phrase, “Take it easy, but take it.”
This is probably the most inspiring book I've read about music. Or anything.
Rochelle Blumenstein
Rochelle Blumenstein marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2015
LORRAINE marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Steve marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Imad Dahmani
Imad Dahmani marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Jay marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Robin added it
Oct 23, 2015
Natalie Van Booven
Natalie Van Booven marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Tim Howard
Tim Howard marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Montserrat Degaetano
Montserrat Degaetano marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Nick Burgis
Nick Burgis marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
  • The Plan of Chicago: Daniel Burnham and the Remaking of the American City
  • The Rock Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Rockological Knowledge
  • Jazz on a Saturday Night
  • The Olivetti Chronicles
  • A Natural History of the Piano: The Instrument, the Music, the Musicians--from Mozart to Modern Jazz and Everything in Between
  • The Bat Boy and His Violin