Start by marking “And They All Sang: Adventures of an Eclectic Disc Jockey” as Want to Read:
And They All Sang: Adventures of an Eclectic Disc Jockey

And They All Sang: Adventures of an Eclectic Disc Jockey

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Throughout the second half of the twentieth century, Studs Terkel hosted a legendary daily radio show in Chicago, presenting listeners with his inimitable take on an eclectic range of music, from classical, opera, and jazz to gospel, blues, folk, and rock. "And They All Sang" is nothing less than a tribute to musicOCOs universality and power ("Philadelphia Inquirer"), feat ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by New Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about And They All Sang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And They All Sang

Andrew
What stands out in this book is how well Terkel was prepared for any guest. He knows and incredible amount about them (contrasted to annoying radio types who will do an interview and even admit, “I haven’t read the book”.)

---

Aaron Copeland, interviewed in 1961:

“Composers have very bad reputations as conductors. They’re known to be generally inadequate on the podium. It’s understandable, because after all, composing and conducting are two very different activities … You might know, and most compo
Patti
It took me awhile to get into this book because the first section consisted of interviews with classical artists and those from the opera. Sadly my musical knowledge in those areas is lacking.

Once I reached the musicians I was familiar with, the book was a gift! Songs played in my head as they were mentioned and their synthesis described. Many of the artists have since passed away, so it was wonderful to remember them and learn more about them in their own words. The ones that really resonated
Megan
Classic Studs Terkel. Fascinating from start to finish, inspiring and informative. Will make you wish you could hear all of the interviews. It certainly gave me a list of albums to check out from the library. Terkel is a gift for American history--I always feel closer to an understanding of my nation and her experiences and the people who have come before us. Lovely.
Chris
You don't know music like Studs knows music.

Oh, you may think you know, but you don't. Studs Terkel has spent most of his adult life talking to people, and most of those people have been musicians. In his long and storied career, he has interviewed some of the greatest names in music. This is a collection of a few of them.

In this book, he talks to opera stars, blues singers, concert pianists, jazz trumpeters, scat musicians and folk song bards. They tell Studs about their relationship with music
David Ward
And They All Sang: Adventures of and Eclectic Disc Jockey, by Studs Terkel (The New Press 2005) is typical Terkel; it's a series of 40 interviews with "musical figures of our time." The book is a little outdated; the most contemporary of the interviewees are Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan (from 1962) and Ravi Shankar. Also of interest to me were interviews with the Rev. Thomas Dorsey (writer of "Precious Lord Take My Hand" aka "the Black National Anthem," Woody Guthrie, and Pete Seeger. Note: I was luc ...more
lee
i didn't like this as much as other studs books, but i think maybe it was because i really struggled to relate to the first half to two-thirds, because it was solely about opera. opera... well, i find it pleasurable to listen to, but i don't have the background or context to read much about it, especially in the familiar style studs is so good at.
Vinnie
A great series of interviews with prominent 20th-century musicians, done by one of our greatest journalists. Half the book is focused on classical music (a good portion of that is opera, which doesn't interest me), but the other half is jazz, folk, and other idioms. A great read!
Ronald
Studs is still here, folks. This is a compilation of interviews on his radio program that are priceless and document not only where Studs was in his own life, but the subjects as well. They come off in a wonderfully elegant stream-of-consciousness way. Great and quick read.
A.H. Haar
If you've ever seen an interview with this darling man, you'll know why I fell so madly in love with him. I'll admit, though, that I read only the interviews of the musicians I already knew and admired. But I look forward to discovering the rest.
Elizabeth
Irreplaceable interviews with musicians of the 20th century, by one of the great cultural historians of the 20th century. He runs the gamut from John Jacob Niles to Bob Dylan, and everyone in between.
Beth
Feb 07, 2009 Beth is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Conversations with some of the greatest musicians (Bob Dylan, Woody Guthrie Louis Armstrong, Janice Joplin, Leonard Bernstein, and lots more) by the late, great Studs Terkel.
Hapzydeco
Leonard Bernstein said it best, “In the olden days, everybody sang. You were expected to sing as well as talk. It was the mark of a cultured man to sing, to know music.”
Jeff
Oct 16, 2007 Jeff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Studs is a great storyteller. Lots of cool interviews with music and entertainment legends. Read this one for sure!
Hapzydeco
Studs affirms the old Woody Guthrie phrase, “Take it easy, but take it.”
Mason
This is probably the most inspiring book I've read about music. Or anything.
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Matt Collins
Matt Collins marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Victoria Beerman
Victoria Beerman marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Lindsey Armstrong
Lindsey Armstrong marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Alan Dupay
Alan Dupay marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Harry
Harry marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Rock Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Rockological Knowledge
  • Jazz on a Saturday Night
  • A Natural History of the Piano: The Instrument, the Music, the Musicians--from Mozart to Modern Jazz and Everything in Between
  • The Olivetti Chronicles
  • Before John Was a Jazz Giant: A Song of John Coltrane
  • The Star-Spangled Banner
  • You Can't Always Get What You Want
  • This Jazz Man
  • The Story of the Orchestra: Listen While You Learn About the Instruments, the Music and the Composers Who Wrote the Music!
  • The Girls in 3-B