Start by marking “Lizard People” as Want to Read:
Lizard People

Lizard People

YOU MEET THE NICEST PEOPLE IN THE LOBBY OF A PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL. The author of Dead Connection proves that what goes on in our minds just may be the scariest thing of all.

Ben Mander's junior year is derailed when his mentally ill mother erupts in the school office. Visiting her in the psych hospital, Ben meets Marco, who also has a mentally ill mother. Marco tells a stor
Published August 7th 2007 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Lizard People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lizard People

Deborah
Although Charlie Price is a very distinguished and honored author in juvenile/Young adult fiction, and has been since the early 2000's, he has sadly escaped my notice. I feel ignorant for that misstep in my literary education.

His book "Dead Connection" won An ALA Best Book for Young Adults, A Booklist Top Ten Mystery for Youth, A Book Sense Children's Pick, and a Publishers Weekly "Flying Starts" Selection mention.
I can hardly wait for my ordered book to get to me...drat the long holiday for tha
Jan 08, 2011 Laura rated it did not like it
Shelves: loathe, young-adult
Initial thoughts after reading (found in a notebook): This was a really cool idea, but the author didn't seem capable enough to make it into a good book. You read it all the while telling yourself it will get better, but it never does. I twas like he was trying to mix the genres "contemporary fiction" and "sci-fi" but he did it in such a way that it butchered both. A book you should read only if you want to deeply regret it afterwards.

- whoa, I was kind of harsh with this review...I guess I didn
Susan  Person
Mar 25, 2008 Susan Person marked it as to-read
Recommended at the March WASHYARG meeting. Love this author!
Travis
Jul 20, 2011 Travis rated it it was amazing
i liked it the a=ending was very sad i wonder if hell remeber z i want a lizard people 2
Tracy
Aug 09, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen, science-fiction
Science fiction or a psychological study?
Joy
Mar 08, 2012 Joy rated it it was ok
I felt like this book was decent enough. The beginning, dealing with Ben's mother and family life, was great, but I grew bored with it when Marco began to tell his story, telling myself that it was going to get better. Eventually the story began to pick up again. The author began to build up into this huge ending, and then completely copped out by switching perpectives, jumping into the future, and still not managing to give us any answers.

If anyone is looking for a good book revolving around a
Richard Cuthing
Apr 03, 2013 Richard Cuthing rated it liked it
Mind-boggling, at times moving, but by and large, Lizard People is an informative book that offers to its readers a glimpse into the world of mental illness. Although this account did not really hook me like the way fantasy and adventure books capture my imagination and interest, it offered a speck of excitement and thrill—while at the same time challenged my thoughts. Read the full review at Bloodspots’ Harbor.
Megan
Jun 11, 2008 Megan rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
This book had me...I was sucked in, even reading past bedtime (!), and then it took a bad, bad turn. It's the story of a boy whose mom is looney, and he befriends another boy in the same situation while in the waiting room of a nuthouse. Then the friend starts talking about his dreams...involving portals and weird sci-fi, crazy-people talk. (Not calling sci-fi crazy, but it is what it is.) So, it lost me. Dern it.
Joanna Aira
Jun 06, 2013 Joanna Aira rated it liked it
I knew it!

Well, that was my reaction before I finished this book.
It was an okay read for me and I kinda liked it.

Lizard People is about...

psychosis. :)

Ahhh...
It must be pretty tough for someone who has psychosis or have it yourself to deal with it everyday.

I wouldn't want it to happen to me or to people I love. T_T
Elizabeth
This books had me restless, turning page to page from the front to the back, I never got any sleep (which was okay because I read it in two days), and it had me so confused. But, now that I read it a fourth time, I understand everything fully now.
I recommend this book to everyone.
Karen
May 25, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
I actually finished this in a day and it was pretty good. I like that it is about mental illness because that has always intrigued me. It was well written, had a twist and was a fast read which at times is definitely a plus.
Jamie Weil
Mar 27, 2011 Jamie Weil rated it really liked it
Not only is Charlie a fantastic writer taking on crucial themes of homelessness, addiction and mental illness, but he's a great guy and friend. Curling up with one of his books is a great way to spend an afternoon...and that's all it take because they're page turners.
Bryceson Coleman
Mar 08, 2016 Bryceson Coleman rated it really liked it
The book had a lot of potential that the author doesn't seem to realize was there. The ending feels like a lazy attempt to leave the reader in awe. The overall read was good I finished it fairly fast.
Brent Glaza
Jun 21, 2015 Brent Glaza rated it liked it
It was ok but their was so much shit going on that it was hard to understand and I have to do this book for a book project and i'm afraid i'm going to fail
Susan
May 01, 2008 Susan rated it it was ok
The story was slight and the secondary characters weren't very well developed. The ending was abrupt.
Bill Tillman
The world of mental illness is a hard one to convey, Price does a good job with teenager Ben. Having dealt with it within our family the book was at times painful & pleasurable.
Davis Blair
Davis Blair rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2012
Jafarious
Jafarious rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Lcrichie
Lcrichie rated it did not like it
Mar 25, 2014
Daryl
Daryl rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2010
Dystopian
Dystopian rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2015
Rebecca Ramirez
Rebecca Ramirez rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Vicky
Vicky rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Mikko
Mikko rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2012
Coty Lynn
Coty Lynn rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2013
Krystal
Krystal rated it did not like it
Sep 15, 2012
Suzy
Suzy rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2013
SUZANNE DAILEY
SUZANNE DAILEY rated it did not like it
Sep 02, 2015
Kathy  D.
Kathy D. rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2008