Start by marking “Great World Religions: Judaism” as Want to Read:

Individual Life-Cycles
God and Man; God and Community
Philosophers and Mystics
The Legal Frameworks of JudaismHalakha
Common Judaismor a Plurality of Judaisms?
Judaism and Others
Other Format, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by Teaching Company Limited Partnership

To ask other readers questions about Great World Religions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great World Religions

Jim
Audio download of 12-30 minute lectures.
I was going to title this review 'Judaism for Dummies', (I thought I'd never get it by the editors/monitors) but it is the perfect title for me, a dummy when it comes to knowing anything about the history of Judaism. Much like many of the "...for Dummies" books I've read (that does say something about me, eh?) these lectures provided an effective introduction to Judaism from a largely historical perspective. I consider the measure of success to be whether
The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Great World Religions: Judaism offers a clear and often fascinating introduction to the history and character of Judaism. Professor Gafney is engaging and easy to understand. I found his occasional search for a word endearing; it certainly makes him seem very approachable. He’s not in the least intimidating. At the same time, there is no mistaking either his intelligence or his passion for his subject.

Don’t go into this lecture series expecting a deep exploration of Jewish theology. Various tene
Mark
Feb 07, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a short (six hour) course of 12 lectures from the Great Courses on Judaism. The lecturer, Isaiah Gafni was very easy to listen to and very knowledgeable. Despite only having six hours to cover the subject of Judaism, Dr. Gafni did an excellent job about teaching me all about Judaism. I learned more about the first five chapters of the Bible, which for the Jewish form the Torah, which Christians know as the first five books of the Old Testament. I learned about Talmud, Jewish law, and th ...more
Mary Anne
This the final book I read in regard to Great World Religions: I've listened to Islam, Hinduism, God and Mankind, and Christianity. I was especially eager to get to this series after listening to both Christianity and Islam. I suppose I had many preconceptions about what I would hear. I rather expected to hear something about how Christians often interpret the Old Testament differently than Jews do, but there was really no mention of it.

I greatly appreciated hearing the emphasis on the Second Te
Jared
Aug 02, 2016 Jared rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Course! From the perspective of a person who knows little about Judaism, it was easy to follow and understand. I'm accustomed to the Bible and Judaism from the perspective of Christians but not from Judaism itself so this lecture was especially enlightening to me.

I can really appreciate the values and customs of the Jewish people after studying it. They are a wonderful people full of a rich and fascinating history. I look forward to furthering my understanding and continuing to learn more
Brian
Aug 08, 2015 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this since I was curious how Judaism would look like to outsiders. I think I wouldn't be able to follow a lot of things if I didn't already know everything that was being said. Still, as an insider, this was a nice concise exposition of the history and practices of Judaism. It was kind of like seeing old friends, "oh I remember you, random old myth, how have you been?"
Samantha Isasi
Jul 19, 2016 Samantha Isasi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I learned a lot about many elements of Judaism through these lectures. They were engaging and varied, spanning subjects like the law, the ideas of ethnicity versus religion, philosophy, and different sects of the faith. It fascinated me. I particularly loved the lecture about books and their importance in the Jewish faith.
Michael
Nov 16, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this short course, Professor Gafni did a very respectable job introducing the world of Judaism. Having an interest in this area, I didn't know how much of the material would be new to me, but I was surprised by how much I didn't know and how much more there is to know. This was a most fascinating tour and exploration of what it means to be a Jew and to practice Judaism.

Note:

-I was surprised by his argument that prayer was not a part of 1st century synagogue worship until after the destructio
Ricarda Krenn
Ricarda Krenn marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Gsm235
Gsm235 rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Gil
Gil rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Alex Kondrashin
Alex Kondrashin rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Shannon Shankland
Shannon Shankland marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Sanejo Leonard
Sanejo Leonard rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Ronald van Spengen
Ronald van Spengen rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2015
Gerald
Gerald marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Luke Hays
Luke Hays rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Pavel
Pavel added it
Sep 01, 2015
Harsh Sharma
Harsh Sharma rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2015
Fred
Fred marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
G. Jorge Medina
G. Jorge Medina rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Giorgi Dundua
Giorgi Dundua rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2015