Start by marking “The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)

The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery #1)

3.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  275 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews

Magazine journalist Seneca Hunt is reporting on the opening of Montezuma's tomb in Mexico City when the dig team learns that the remains of the Aztec emperor are missing. Within moments of the discovery, an apparent terrorist attack kills everyone at the site except Seneca, who barely escapes the carnage.

Determined to get answers, Seneca starts investigating. She finds out
Published June 8th 2011 by Midnight Ink (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Phoenix Apostles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Phoenix Apostles

An Odd1
Sep 21, 2011 An Odd1 rated it it was ok
Updates from second opinion: "The Phoenix Apostles" (Seneca 1) are 12 mass murderers, resurrected with the promise of immortality if they continue killing. Even if the master is killed, covert shadows are loose in home countries to yield a series. Authors Lynn Soles and Joe Moore open with excess explicit torture and gore and prophecy woo-woo that scared me off. Yet this gratuitous capsule and a second Aztec beating heart scene are distinctly isolated from lukewarm main flow. So I've had to inco ...more
Victoria
Apr 15, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it
I loved Lynn Sholes' and Joe Moore's Cotten Stone series, so I really looked forward to this one. As usual, the premise is a little cosmic-woo-woo mixed with Michael Chrichton-like science-ish stuff mixed with evil people who believe they're doing the right thing. The cosmic component is just enough to make the story happen, but not so much as to sink the story with silliness. When you read one of their books, yes, you must suspend your disbelief and go with the flow. It's worth the ride.

Their m
Erin Tanner
Dec 04, 2013 Erin Tanner rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing read! Couldn't put it down. I plan on reading the rest of the books that this amazing writing team has authored. I am now inspired to try my hand at the thriller genre.
Joy
Dec 04, 2013 Joy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good mystery/adventure/suspense book. Would make a good screen-play. In fact, it's written so visually that I realized I was "seeing" it when a certain scene made me drop my Kindle. Thank goodness I was in the lounge chair and Kindle was not harmed.

I was so into it that I talked about with my husband who is now 79% through--he stayed up reading last night.

There is a description of Aztec ritual sacrifice that may be hard for the squeamish--the detective book I started reading since is much
Nate Solberg
Oct 23, 2011 Nate Solberg rated it liked it
My first purchase from Kindle Daily Deals, and it was quite a good book! I thought the plot was put together well, and it definitely held my interest as it moved me from scene to scene and even year to year. I had a few very small qualms with the main character and how she processed what was happening around her (trying not to give anything away), but they were small and didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story. I enjoyed the story, and I'll likely try more Seneca Hunt novels in the future.
Erin
Oct 24, 2011 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
This book wasn't as good as Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code or Angels and Demons, but it was still entertaining. Instead of dealing with Christianity, the story is based on Aztec gods/goddesses.

It was an enjoyable read, but I wish the characters had been developed more. I know that I will probably check out the next book in the Seneca Hunt series if the authors write one.
LaToya
Dec 05, 2011 LaToya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. I took a step away from my usual horror interest and stepped into a world I never thought I would care much about. I loved the story and the characters. The mix of archaeology, mystery and suspense made this book a winner. I'm definitely going to do more research on things mentioned in the book and I hope the authors will write more with Seneca Hunt.
SporadicReviews.com (Kevin Bayer)
Good plot and engaging characters, bad theology. Lynn Sholes and Joe Moore deliver another exciting adventure. Not a Cotton Stone book, this is a new character, Seneca Hunt - apparently the start of a new series.

(I miss Cotton.)

Rdonn
Oct 29, 2011 Rdonn rated it liked it
This is a hard book to categorize, part mystery, part science fiction, part history, you name it!! It is very much a thriller, and I quite enjoyed it, though it's not a genre I usually read. Kept me awake one night!!!
Douglas Cook
Dec 04, 2013 Douglas Cook rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
First sentence, "BILLY GROVES DIDN'T KNOW if he was dead or alive.

Lynn Sholes;Joe Moore. The Phoenix Apostles (A Seneca Hunt Mystery) (p. 3). Kindle Edition.
John Hanscom
Mar 21, 2014 John Hanscom rated it really liked it
Not as good as the "Cotten Stone" books, but a very good adventure story with a hint of religion thrown in.
Ginger
Dec 04, 2013 Ginger rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This was easy, "beach" type reading...just what I needed this week.
Marijke Van de venne
Nice holiday read
Robin
The basic premise was interesting (books like this stretch reality a little bit but that's what makes them fun). The characters were believable, the plot well paced, and the writing quality was good.

One of the things I didn't like was the fundamental misunderstanding of at least one of the "apostles". (view spoiler)
Rachel
Feb 07, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Kate Barron
Oct 22, 2011 Kate Barron rated it liked it
Very similar style to the Da Vinci Code, with slightly less Christianity and a little more ancient Aztec Gods.

It's not my usual choice of reading material and, as such, I grew tired of it rather quickly. Unfortunately I also found it far too easy to predict the outcome. Perhaps this formula is just not challenging enough.

For those with gentle stomachs I'd advise steering away from this book. There are a few rather gory passages, detailing some brutal deaths -- Seneca's fiancé, the Apache Indian
Mary Maffer
Imagine walking past a restaurant that has an advertisement for pancakes. They look delicious. You think, "Why not? I've always loved pancakes."

So you walk in, sit down, and wait for those pancakes. A waiter comes out. He slams an empty plate in front of you and then books it for the kitchen.

A second waiter presents himself. He puts a glass of water in front of you, grabs the empty plate, and sprints away.

A third waiter arrives. He brings a knife and fork and then dramatically knocks over the g
Iceman
Dec 28, 2012 Iceman rated it liked it
Uma tradição cristã refere que no caminho de Jesus Cristo para o calvário, uma mulher enxugou o rosto de Cristo num pequeno pano e que a imagem de Jesus teria ficado gravada nesse pano.

Essa tradição, ou relíquia, obviamente que nunca foi comprovada, sendo ao longo dos séculos alvo de várias especulações sobre a sua autenticidade e destino. Hoje em dia, julga-se, ou assim o Vaticano afirma, encontrar-se no santuário do Santo Rosto de Manoppello, a cerca de 200 km de Roma.

Conhecida como o “Véu de
Elwin
Ik registreerde een boek op BookCrossing.com!
Tonia
Dec 29, 2011 Tonia rated it it was ok
The book felt contrived, like everything happening was just a device to move the plot along, which is how every book works, but with this one I couldn't look past it. I couldn't just enjoy the book. I kept thinking, "The death at the beginning was just to motivate someone to solve a mystery, and this character showing up out of nowhere was just so they'd have access to inaccessible information," and things like that. The plot interested me enough to read until the end, because I wanted to know w ...more
Adriana Ferrero
Jan 01, 2012 Adriana Ferrero rated it it was amazing
Another great thriller from Lynn Sholes and Joe Moore. As in their previous books, the authors mix modern science with ancient religious artifacts and cultural customs, all set against a race against the clock to prevent a disastrous outcome. The question raised in The Phoenix Apostles is what if scientific advancements enabled us to use human DNA to actually "ressurect" someone from the dead? What if this knowlege was then used for the purpose of bringing back to life twelve of the worst mass m ...more
Greg
Nov 26, 2015 Greg rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book is written similarly to Dan Brown's books with the religious angle and the chapters ending in suspense. The first half of the book is wonderful where each chapter jumps from character to character however it starts to lose its edge as the story progresses and more of the plot is revealed. I would consider the next book in the series when it comes out to see if Lynn Sholes and Joe Moore can keep the suspense and thrill longer through the book.
Invisibleink
Dec 09, 2011 Invisibleink rated it did not like it
I'm usually a bit on the compulsive side when it comes to finishing books that I've started. I barely made it through the first chapters with this one and I have no plans to continue. Perhaps it gets better, but the writing was so amateurish and the dialogue so forced I found myself skimming over large sections of text. Suffice it to say, I won't be picking up any other books by this author.
Anthony Faircloth
Jan 08, 2014 Anthony Faircloth rated it really liked it
Awesome book by a local author! Action/thriller with a supernatural twist. Very well done!
Reneasy
Nov 18, 2011 Reneasy rated it it was ok
I love a fun post-apocalyptic read, especially when theres history and tombs involved. I wish the good guys were as well developed as the bad guys though. The main character and I just couldn't get along. I found myself cheering everytime she got hurt, which wasn't often enough.
Caitlin Hillen
Jun 11, 2012 Caitlin Hillen rated it really liked it
At first I wasn't sure that I liked this, but once I understood the connection of billy groves to the rest of the plot I started to enjoy it. It was a bit like the Da Vinci Code, but not quite as good. Still, by the last fourth of the book, I couldn't put it down.
Jeff
Feb 23, 2012 Jeff rated it liked it
Reasonable book. Interesting premise and a bit of a religious theme which I always like. Compelling enough to get me to finish it but it wasn't the most engaging book I've read.
Joy
Jan 01, 2012 Joy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not too bad a read, but I'm not fond of books that jump around & this one did - quite a lot - & it took a while to become used to that.
Erin
Jun 06, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
Not the greatest writing, but entertaining enough to keep me going. Fairly predictable, but a good book for a rainy day.
Marcia
Mar 04, 2012 Marcia rated it it was amazing
Wow what a page turner! Not my usual type of book but I really enjoyed it!
  • Pocket-47 (Nicholas Colt, #2)
  • A Dead Red Heart (A Dead Red, #2)
  • Liquid Smoke (Noah Braddock, #3)
  • The Kult
  • Hidden in Plain View (A Darryl Billups Mystery)
  • Twisted Justice
  • The Ghost of a Flea
  • A Dozen Deadly Roses
  • A Killing Tide (Columbia River, #1)
  • Mourn The Living
  • Acts of Honor
  • Fifth Avenue (Fifth Avenue #1)
  • Coombe's Wood
  • Hard Press'd (Preston Andrews Mystery #1)
  • Emerald Moon
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)
  • Triple Exposure
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
Lynn Sholes co-authors with Joe Moore the Cotten Stone thriller series including THE GRAIL CONSPIRACY named 2005 Book-of-the-Year by ForeWord Magazine, THE LAST SECRET, THE HADES PROJECT, and THE 731 LEGACY. THE PHOENIX APOLSTLES was a departure from the Cotten Stone series. THE BLADE features a new heroine, Maxine Decker which is followed by THE SHIELD. Their books have been published in 24 langu ...more
More about Lynn Sholes...