Start by marking “Mistress” as Want to Read:
Mistress

Amanda Quick

Mistress

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,340 Ratings  ·  208 Reviews
Japanese edition of Mistress. Ms. Bright pretends to be the mistress of a dead baron to help her aunt stop a blackmail attempt, but her success is crushed when he walks in the door In Japanese. Distributed by Tsai Fong Books, Inc.
Published April 1st 2010 by Villagebooks/Tsai Fong Books (first published June 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Mistress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mistress

Kara
May 13, 2009 Kara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-fiction
In the Beginning, there was Jane Austen, and She wrote the Word, and the Word was Good. And She did Create the Regency Novel in all its Glory.

Then there was Georgette Heyer, blessed be Her name, who did taketh up the torch, and ran with it.

But Lo! There were then imitators, and they were many, and Their name was Legion, and they did taketh the Chaste Kiss that endeth the Regency Novel, and turn it into page after page of instructional descriptions on how to make the Beast with Two Backs.

Here end
Dina
Mar 23, 2012 Dina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: Agent Scully
This was only my third book by Amanda Quick, but I knew what to expect from her: a funny and charming story with a bright but quirky heroine who defies society's conventions, a brooding hero who's in need of an emotional makeover and a somewhat convoluted mystery to be solved while the H/h fall in love with each other. Mistress had all that, but it was by no means predictable. In fact, the mystery plot had some very unexpected twists, and I'm still a little dizzy.

Iphiginia (ugh, what a name!) Br
Vicki
Apr 21, 2016 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iphiginia Bright is a bluestocking. An intelligent spinster that has returned from touring Europe to find that her aunt is being blackmailed. Being an intelligent woman she comes up with a way to find the blackmailer that seems to be in the Ton. Since the blackmailer seems to have now murdered Marcus Valerius Cloud, the infamous Earl of Masters, she chooses to appear to the Ton as his last most recent mistress.

I loved this premise. It was clever of her and it was only made better when the Earl o
Robin (Bridge Four)
My guilty pleasures include regency romances. I love to cuddle up on the couch and indulge in them on stormy days. I even expect a bit of cheese to be involved but this one for some reason was just a little too much on the cheese and crackers side of romance for my taste.
 photo bitcheesy_zpsd17e9ad2.jpg

Iphiginia, try to say that three times fast, Bright is an educated woman who doesn’t want to live by the rules. To catch a blackmailer she pretends to be the mistress of Marcus the Earl of Masters a notorious man who has a list
Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
drowningmermaid
"Oh! Iphiginia! Your phiginia is so hot and tight!" says Marcus, Earl of Whatever, tallest and richest and most desired of the whoevers.

A *unique* (cough) romance hero who has dallied enough for experience (but not TOO much, and not with anyone important, and not too recently), who lives in a self-imposed prison of a loveless life, waiting for a salvic female to unlock his heart through the healing balm of graphic sex.

One of the pointless, self-imposed rules Marcus lives by is that he never di
Zoe
Feb 02, 2016 Zoe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ugh my review is gone. I don't know why. Suffice it to say that it was not great or awful. It was typially Amanda Quick with a overly rational heroine (I hate a woman who argues and argues and thinks this makes her look smart) and a high-handed earl. Mystery, blackmail and a little bit of romance. 3 stars for old time's sake.
Daniella
Jul 03, 2015 Daniella rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
HOLY SHIT THIS BOOK WAS JUST SO AWFUL.

There, I said it.

Bloody hell. I can't believe it. It actually happened... I finally encountered an Amanda Quick book that I dislike so much cartwheeling over a crate of dynamite seemed infinitely more appealing than reading it. And unlike in the case of her other book, Affair, no amount of loyalty to Ms. Quick could elevate this to anything more than a harsh 1 star rating.

Everything was just wrong with this book, but the straw that broke the camel's back wa
Vee
Mar 01, 2008 Vee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE AMANDA QUICK!! Freaking love her!!! This particular story was great. I had a hard time believing her name was really Iphginia or whatever but I got over it once I all of a sudden became her and had the most daunting crush on Marcus. Yes. In these books I become the main character. Sometimes I'm all of them and act out the parts in the mirror. Yes, I'm a dork.. D O R K. Moving on... The story delivers intrigue, suspense and kept me up WAY into the night. Super fast read. Super rollercoaste ...more
Mojca
Iphiginia (let's now dwell on the name, shall we?) has recently returned to England, when she learns her dear aunt Zoe is being blackmailed. The blackmailer is so vicious he actually killed a member of the ton, Marcus Valerius Cloud, Earl of Masters, so he truly must be stopped. So Iphy devises a cunning plan. She would enter the ton posing as Masters's mistress - the man is dead after all, he won't be able to label her a liar and since he was quite a recluse before his death, no one will know t ...more
Lizzy
** 4.5 stars **
What is better than to sit down by the fire on a winter night, drinking hot chocolate and reading an endearing novel? That’s how I felt while reading Amanda Quick’s Mistress, a hilarious clever mix of romance and intrigue.

Iphiginia as Mrs. Bright, all in white, poses as the mistress of the effusive Earl as Masters to unmask a blackmailer that is threatening her family. Marcus intrigued quits his country home to meet her, when told of Lady Starlight’s parading in society as his
Denise
Nov 20, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an entertaining read this turned out to be! So much that I am going to try to gobble up as many of Amanda Quick's books as quickly as I can.
Iphiginia Bright's aunt was being blackmailed. The note said that Marcus Valerius Cloud, Earl of Masters was killed by the blackmailer and if the aunt did not pay up, she would meet with the same fate. Iphiginia helps by posing as Marcu's mistress, Mrs. Bright. Being he is dead and all, who would know that she is a just a bluestocking virgin.
Marcus i
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3/5; 3 stars; B

Not the best book I've read by Amanda Quick but still a solid, lightweight historical romance.
Barbara Rosenblat is a good narrator for this type of story.
Amanda
3.5

It should be noted that Amanda Quick -- better known as a pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz -- was, at one time, my favorite author. And although that was more than a decade ago, she will always have a spot in my heart, even if I don't quite connect with her books as well as I used to.

One reason I loved Amanda Quick/Jayne Ann Krentz books is that her characters are intelligent. The heroine does her own thing. The hero falls hard. It's quite pleasing all around. But Mistress seems to hit you over
Jess the Romanceaholic
Re-read January 2014.

Still lighthearted and silly, and still just as much fun to read.

4.5/5 Stars
Julie
On audiobook I love Barbara Rosenblat, the narrator who I've grown accustomed to while listening to the fabulous Amelia Peabody series. The only problem here is that I'm so used to her different voices portraying Amelia Peabody and Emerson that it was hard for me to identify with the characters here in Mistress, for they all sounded exactly like my beloved characters from the Amelia Peabody books! So, it probably would have been better if I'd read this instead of listened because what works for ...more
Chumchum_88
Aug 02, 2016 Chumchum_88 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: smart-h-h, historical
This was a great book, and I realized that I prefer Amanda Quick's books as Audio books more, Because I used to complain about the extensiveness f the details, but in Audio books they were another matter. This book is vastly entertaining, humorous, and mind challenging.

Iphiginia and Marcus looked to me two peas in a pod, they were so alike in interests and behavior that it sometimes was funny and useful, wherein the only difference was the common one between any man and women, he's logical and a
Kathy Davie
Mar 20, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, history
Yes, the title is quite accurate as this tale is about a woman faking being a notorious lord’s mistress while he’s in the country---well, she thinks the Earl of Masters is dead by his blackmailer’s hands and that it won’t matter what she’s up to. Her purpose in pursuing this course is to find out who is blackmailing her widowed aunt; Iphiginia Bright believes that it can only be the men who know both the late Lord Guthrie and Marcus Cloud, Earl of Masters.

Unfortunately for Iphiginia, Masters is
Alicja
May 10, 2016 Alicja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again I say I love Heroes of Quick! Marcus is so wonderfully scientifically rigid and essential (do not know if not so wonderful as Baxter). And suffers from the past. Iphignia is carefree, wise and tender. Marcus understands how to have to feel trapped in the conventions of a small town as a teacher. He understand that now she must feel free. Completely opposite than he is-which is itself stuck in the hardware rules that won't allow him to be heedless. but when it is someone else, there is ...more
Lady Wesley
Oct 23, 2014 Lady Wesley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
This audiobook was almost enjoyable. The story was quick and light-hearted, but the narrator was extremely slow. Great pauses between sentences, which at times cause me to look at my iPod screen to see if something had gone wrong. I would not be eager to listen to Barbara Rosenblatt again.
Hasnamezied
I give it 3.5 . It was a good read but sometimes I felt bored .
Sevimli Hırsız
Çok tatlı bir kitaptı. Keşke daha önce alıp okusaymışım. Bu yazarın Kiralık Nişanlı kitabını ne zaman elime alsam geri bırakmıştım fakat bu kitap su gibi aktı. Hafif polisiyeyle birleştirdiği aşkı çok güzel işlemiş. Özellikle kadın karktere bayıldım. Biraz fazla saftı ama o saflığı da kitaba eğlenceli bir hava katmış.
Pat
Oct 23, 2008 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book by this author. Funny with a good mystery and romance.
Chris
This had a different plot and was so enjoyable.
Aarann
Ever since "discovering" Amanda Quick for myself a couple of weeks ago, I've been mainlining her books, particularly the single-word titles (i.e., Mistress," "Mischief," "Surrender," etc.) (and yes, I'm aware that Amanda Quick is one of Jayne Ann Krentz's various nom de plumes). A few of them have run together as they all seem to feature a heroine who is at some point labeled an "Original" in that she casts off the demands of Police Society in Regency England to pursue her own happiness, and a m ...more
nurmawati
Jun 26, 2012 nurmawati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, hr

salah satu buku amnada quick terbagus...ttg iphigina si spinster bekas guru yg nyamar jadi mistress lord masters yg di beritakan meninggal buat menangkap org yg memeras bibi nya...
sayangnya (or asiknya ? ;p) lord masters belom meninggal dan datang buat meng-claim "mistress-in-the name-only"...
iphiginia nyamar juga jadi janda...masters yg tertarik langsung mendekati iphiginia dan bertekad menjadikan iphiginia mistress benerannya...
masters paling anti sama virgins dan istri org...trus gak mau meri
Hanife
Bana göre iyi bir kitaptı. Aşırı sevdiğim sölenemez ama konusu hoş bir hikayeydi. Konumuzdan biraz bahsediyim. Hikaye kızımız Iphiginia ve oğlumuz Masters Kontu Marcus arasında geçiyor. Iphiginia'nın teyzesine yıllar önceki bir konu yüzünden şantaj yapılıyordur. Şantaj mesajında eğer parayı vermezse Masters Kontunu öldürdüğü gibi onuda öldüreceğine dair bir tehdit vardır. Kızın teyzesi hemen parayı verir yalnız Ipheginia bu şantajcıyı bulmaya niyetlidir. Bunun üzerine sosyeteye kendini Masters ...more
Jane Reader
May 27, 2013 Jane Reader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Can I say I loved this book? Absolutely! Mistress is one of my favorite Amanda Quick novels and I've blown through quite a few in the past couple of days. The story is great -- I figured out the mystery pretty early, but it doesn't take away from the overall novel in the slightest -- and the characters are solid. I laughed a great deal and the storyline was well paced.

Mistress tells the story of Iphiginia Bright, a quick-witted spinster that pretends to be a widow and the mistress of the Earl of
Julie Ambrose
Aug 01, 2012 Julie Ambrose rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica
Having heard great things of Amanda Quick's clever historical erotic romances, I was expecting a little too much with this threadbare effort. Yet the premise sounded good enough: a blackmail-investigating young woman must impersonate a somewhat rakish gent's mistress in order to win her way into high society and rummage through their belongings. When the wealthy-but-honest lothario joins the search for the blackmailer, sexy shenanigans and deeper connections ensue.

Repetitious and over-formulaic,
Meredith
I'm a big Jayne Ann Krentz fan, so it's no surprise I also love Amanda Quick, the pseudonym for her historical novels. The women are always bluestockings and the men, while dangerous and mysteriously gothic at times, usually have a scientific bent as well, which is always a welcome change from the man-sluts that populate other historical romance novels. Yes, there's a formula in these books (particularly when it comes to the romance--I can pretty much look at a Quick novel and give you a rundown ...more
  • Wildest Hearts
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Not Quite a Lady (Carsington Brothers, #4)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...