The Doctor's Wife

The Doctor's Wife (Harvey Girls #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  18 reviews
People like Ellie Parrish did not get proposals of marriage from someone like Dr. Caleb Chaney. Even if his offer was the answer to her prayers, a man as decent and kind as Caleb didn't deserve a woman whose past was a lie.
Caleb Chaney could see that Ellie Parrish was a woman with a troubled soul. But he could also see a woman with a heart big enough to love his infant son...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 366 pages
Published March 1st 2011 by Center Point (first published September 1st 1999)

~Megan~
A really lovely story! I read the sequel first, and had to go back and read Ellie and Caleb's story. I love them both!
Gail
This was part of the SuperLibrarian's bloggers bundle of e-books available from eHarlequin.com.

The hero is the "young whippersnapper" doctor, recently widowed with a young baby. The heroine is a young woman trying desperately for a fresh start in a new town in post-Civil War Kansas as a "Harvey Girl" working at one of the railroad restaurants--she breaks her arm, the doctor sets it and they realize that they can help each other out, since he needs someone to watch his infant son, and she can't...more
Emily
Aug 05, 2013 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mature audiences
I liked the over all book. There were parts through out, mainly her one repeating flashback, that I didn't like however they helped shaped the story. I would recommend this book to mature audiences for the description of things like topics revolving sex, rape and nudity. I also didn't like how the book ended, I wish it had an epilogue and it was maybe like a year later following up on the last part of the book. Will Ellie survive the past memories, feeling love, a new job, marriage, scarlet feve...more
Cherise
Ana
– Who doesn’t love a Cinderella story? Ellie is a down-on-her-luck heroine in need of a hero and she finds a white knight in Caleb. This is one of the story’s that makes you smile with the sheer romanticism of the plot. She offers to give him a hand when he is in need and in return she receives a man who will give her and her siblings a home. The Doctor’s Wife is one of those books that with leave you sighing with delight. ~ Ana, www.ireadromance.com
Jacqueline
A nice sweet story. I like this author's books. This books seemed well grounded in its time period. The young woman was realistic. Bad things had happened to her which were realistic for the time period. I enjoyed how nice the hero was. I liked the brothers. I think the older of the two brothers might have a story later in the series. It was well written and moved along at a reasonable pace. Not a lot of sex just two tasteful scenes.
Lyuda
OK story with way to much angst.
Sheri
I found this author through a friend's Goodreads review of another book. I looked St. John up and discovered many, many books and 5 star reviews. This is the first one I've read, and it was a great 4.5 star read. The characters were well drawn and wonderful. Their challenges were touching and believable. I know this is one I'll read again one day.
Jeanne
I don't usually read historical romances. This one was an okay read. Set in Kansas in the 19th century, it is the story of a widowed doctor and an outcast abused young woman. A touching story of the uniting of the families of Caleb and Ellie.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5 4 stars; B+

I don't usually like stories that have lies and misunderstandings but this author handles it so well that it wasn't an issue. Another lovely romance by one of my favorite authors.
Michelle Robinson
No one writes an angsty historical romantic fiction novel like cheryl St. John. I liked Ellie and was sorry for her I did find her story interesting.I am glad that I found this book.

Christy
This was a really good story. I would have given it a 5 if there hadn't been some scenes I had to skip. Not letting Katie read this one.
Mary Lauer
Woman overcomes abusive traumatic upbringing to trust others and find happiness and love. Makes me cry every time I read it!!
ms bookjunkie
Absolutely wonderful. Heartbreaking, heartwarming, emotionally satisfying. *warm fuzzies*
Susinok
Part of Blogger Bundle Volume 3. I'll count them separately.
Susan Shearer
Makes you believe in love!
Sandra
Gostei mas não adorei.
PWRL
Jun 15, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2011-new
SM
Saboo
Saboo marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Lisa Bartlett
Lisa Bartlett marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Thanh
Thanh marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
May
May marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Tender Texan
  • Maverick Wild (Wild, #2)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • A Promise of Love (Zebra Lovegram)
  • Into the Light (Sutton Family, #2)
  • The Borrowed Bride (Seavers Brides, #1)
  • The De Burgh Bride (de Burgh, #2)
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: The Historicals)
  • Pieces of Sky (Blood Rose, #1)
  • Logan's Outlaw (Men of Defiance, #4)
  • The Marriage Surrender
  • Midnight Rider
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • The Bridal Veil
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • The Earl's Untouched Bride
  • Coming Home for Christmas: A Christmas in Paradise\O Christmas Tree\No Crib for a Bed
  • Surrender to an Irish Warrior (MacEgan Brothers #6)
His Secondhand Wife The Tenderfoot Bride Sweet Annie (The Copper Creek Brides, #1) The Preacher's Wife Land of Dreams