Start by marking “Acorna's Quest (Acorna, #2)” as Want to Read:
Acorna's Quest (Acorna, #2)

Acorna's Quest (Acorna #2)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  4,232 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Acorna blasts off with human friends in search of her own race, who shortly turn up looking for her. These gentle, horned nonhumans are fleeing other aliens who are wanton murderers and torturers that resemble huge cockroaches. Meanwhile, a starship full of dispossessed human miners picks up a scientist whose devastating system of planetary weather control inspires some on...more
Published June 3rd 1998 by Harper Prism (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Acorna's Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acorna's Quest

♥Beleza★✰
At the end of the last book, the children on the planet Kezdet were being liberated, enrolled in school and are learning actual trades. This next installment involves Acorna wanting to find her own kind, humanoids like her. There are practical as well as sentimental reasons for this. Her “Uncle” Calum believes he knows the general area of space where they will find her home planet. The two of them set off to find it, rather impulsively since it appears everyone else doesn’t want them to go and e...more
Gerold Whittaker
Book 2 of the Acorna series. In this book, Acorna is now all grown up and itching to find out where she came from. The mission to find the land of her birth is delayed -- purposely? -- so she and Calum take matters into their own hands and sneak off -- with the partially prepared ship -- to complete the quest. No sooner are they gone -- encountering problems of their own due to the partially prepared ship -- when the Linyaari -- her people -- arrive looking for her. Hot on the heels of the Linya...more
Claire Smith
Joann Buchanan
The whole time I wanted to know more about the little unicorn girl and where she came from. Was she the last of her Kind. None of those questions were answered. Still, the novel was fast paced and full of inrigue. The characters were developed well and she painted a godd picture. I do see why she left it open and didn't answer all the questions. So I'll go find the next one in the series...lol..

I would say yes if I was asked whether or not to purchase it.

Hope this helps.
Alysha DeShaé
Last book of 2012 for me... And I finished it right before my midnight kiss, too!

I'm rereading the Acorna series and still loving them, but I'm noticing things that I've not noticed before about the characters - namely that they aren't as well developed as I remember them to be. I guess it's a good thing they're already fleshed out in my mind! :-p The story is still great, though.
Kay Iscah
This is one of those rare sequels that's better than the original. Things still come a little too easily for Acorna, and some of the secondary characters still read like cardboard cut outs. But there was improvement, better pacing, Acorna gains some dimension, and Markel was great. There are some bits that drive me nuts about this series. Travel times seem more than a little inconsistent, and supposedly intelligent, adult characters occasionally start to giggle like teenagers at odd moments.

Over...more
Kyla Hanson
5 Stars!

A little tricky to stay with the words in this book, but not a bit of it is misused and is properly written and well written very much. You get into this book by the characters and the names and you feel familiar with them instantly. The science and fiction in here is great, it's a very amazing world to experience reading and feel the same things the characters feel and what goes on between the characters especially. Some parts are taking very sharp turns when you would not ever expect,...more
Rosa Aquafire
"I liked it."

Not very GOOD but compulsively readable, just like I remembered. This audiobook reader is FANTASTIC, also. This cast of thousands all have a slightly different voice. It's astounding. I really like the voices she gives the Linyaari characters, giving them their own dialect and accent. Really amazing.

Okay book, amazing audiobook. Three stars.
Suzanne
Once again, our magical orphan protagonist wins through all situations with her charm and superpowers and very little fuss. I kept hoping that she'd have to work for something for once, but sadly, not in this story. And as in the first book of the series, she is surrounded by a weirdly condescending and petty cast of characters, who are forever posturing and swaggering and overprotecting her. There are glimpses of depth—Acorna gets some good complex moments as she faces the possibility of meetin...more
Deb Wilson
while I really enjoyed the story of the first book in this series, ij just didn't pull me in in the same way. We see Acorna go further than before, meeting her own people, fighting a hostile alien race and in the background see her previous cause of helping the children is still in effect. It's not a bad novel and I did enjoy it, it's just not as good as the first.
C.
The plot was so full of unbelievable coincidental timing and "comic" misunderstanding that I felt like I was reading the script to a bad sitcom. When Acorna has an episode where she diverges from her character so severely that it was like she'd been possessed by the spirit of an angsty teen (perhaps Bella from the Twilight series) I nearly quit reading this novel.

It's a shame, because I liked the first one quite a bit; I hope the others in the series are better.
*Redacted*
I just found out that McCaffrey passed away last week. I loved the Pern books as a child so I thought I'd do some reminiscent reading. Suspending disbelief was hard at times, but the plot moves fast enough that it makes a pleasant read most of the time. Just don't think you're going to learn anything with this series.
Lorrie Gipson
this one was a little more choppy than the first Acorna book, but it was still good.
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
Now we know why Acorna was separated from her parents. Khlevii is the race trying wipe everyone out. These insects remind me of the same ones attacking the ones from the Rowan series. I liked this story. I still have many questions and I want to meet Acorna's people.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
May 15, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of sci-fi/fantasy
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2010
A great continuation of Acorna, I see that these must be read in order. It appears that a larger work has been broken into smaller novels. I love Anne McCaffrey's people, this book centered on political maneuverings and how the innocent are affected.
Jackie Krasuski
The heroic story of Acorna touched my heart. Her saga is a fantastic sci-fi journey in another galaxy, but the writing of the places and times makes them seem so real and even comfortable. Fantastic read for any sci-fi fan.
Karrine
I enjoyed the first book more. Although the story came together towards the end there were a few points where I wasn't engaged and was tempted to jump ahead. But I look forward to getting through the rest of series.
Sharon
I was somewhat disappointed when McCaffrey came out with several books in this series. This first installment contained some interesting elements, but the whole thing became extremely drawn out.
zjakkelien
Very much in the style of its predecessor, Acorna, this book is fast-paced and uncomplicated, ending in a Disney-like all-is-well fashion. Very enjoyable.
Katilyn
I read this whole series when I was in junior high and loved them. The end of the series got a little boring for me though for some reason I can't remember.
Theresa
a lost alien orphan wants to learn where she came from, can she find her people. how can acorna save her people
Bradley
Apr 07, 2007 Bradley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci Fi Fans
I enjoy books eariler in a series as a general rule. This one was pretty good. I will read it again some time. =)
Tali
Apr 14, 2007 Tali rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi Fans
As excellent as the first and filled with an excellent plotline that constantly keeps the reader's attention.
Bronwyn
I stopped reading the series after this book. It is one of those series you think will never end.
Amy
This book was alright. It had a lot of boring technical bits that I could've done without.
Susan Tietjen
I just couldn't like this book and won't read the others. It was slow and boring for me.
Bridgette Kelleher
Was a little slow to get into. Not as captivating as the first, but still enjoyable.
K.l.
Enjoyed it... little bit TOO sciencey for me though, but still good:-)
Elizabeth
I love her writing, and all of books, but this group, not so much
Stephanie Bolen
Acorna must find her place in the world.
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Dragonsblood (Pern, #18)
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The People of Pern
  • The House of the Kzinti (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • Lord Of Thunder (Beast Master / Hosteen Storm, #2)
  • Zandru's Forge (Darkover, #4; Clingfire, #2)
  • Blade Dancer
  • Command Performance
  • The Infinite Sea (The Chaos Chronicles, #3)
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • Wolfsong (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #2)
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • Cross The Stars (Hammer's Slammers, #1)
  • Five-Twelfths of Heaven (Roads of Heaven, #1)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two...more
More about Anne McCaffrey...
Dragonflight (Pern, #1) Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1) The White Dragon (Pern, #3) Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2) Dragonquest (Pern, #2)

“He is crooked enough to hide behind a spiral staircase.” 18 likes
“(Meli, are you sure these "humans" are on our side?)

(No ... but at least they are not Khieevi.)

(That is beginning to seem less and less of a recommendation. Like us in form, perhaps, but hardly in ethics.)

(That may not be entirely a bad thing. If they meet their friends with weapons in both hands, what do you suppose they do to their enemies?)”
7 likes