Start by marking “Mormonism 101: Examining the Religion of the Latter-Day Saints” as Want to Read:
Mormonism 101: Examining the Religion of the Latter-Day Saints

Mormonism 101: Examining the Religion of the Latter-Day Saints

Mormonism is one of the fastest growing religions in the world, with over five million Mormons in the United States alone. For those who have wondered in what specific ways it differs from the Christian faith, Mormonism 101 provides definitive answers. Together the authors examine the major tenets of Mormon theology and compare them with orthodox Christian beliefs.
Published May 1st 2000 by Baker Books (first published February 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mormonism 101, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mormonism 101

Ruth Sophia
Jul 09, 2015 Ruth Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Readable (Not Academic) Introduction to Mormon Beliefs from a Christian Perspective

Mormonism 101 provides an elementary introduction to what the Mormon church officially believes. (The authors recognize that Mormons themselves may not adhere to the Church of Latter Day Saints official doctrine.) The book was decently comprehensive for an introduction.

Each chapter began by naming the topic at hand and then laying out the Mormon's belief on the issue from their primary sources. The second part of
John
Dec 31, 2012 John rated it really liked it
I have been curious to read a book like this since I first heard about some of the more unusual practices and beliefs of the Mormons. I believed that the source of this information was accurate, but I wasn't convinced that it had been presented fairly and in an unbiased fashion. While the author of this book makes no secret of his Christianity, and therefore his belief that the Mormons are wrong, I found his presentation stuck to the facts without exaggerating or sensationalizing the material.

I
Kristen
Apr 21, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing
I'm a little Bias, my dad wrote this book. Having said that I do believe this is a great read for anyone who is wanting to lovingly challenge a Mormon loved one or friend on what they believe and why they believe it. It is also a great read just for those who want to be better prepared when a LDS missionary comes knocking at the door. This book does not bash Mormons. It shows quotes from their own sources and is very accurate to what the LDS church taught and teaches. For more information you ca ...more
Marilyn
Nov 12, 2011 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Very enlightening. There were facts and doctrines I never suspected were part of the Mormon tradition.
Katie
Jan 01, 2012 Katie rated it really liked it
Very helpful outline of doctrinal differences between Mormon theology/prophesy and Christianity. Better used as a resource than a straight-through read.
James
Jul 25, 2015 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was asked several months ago by a ministry colleagu if I had any resources on Mormonism. I really didn't, other than perhaps a chapter in an overview of world religions. It is interesting that I have a number of resources on Atheism and the grower secularism in our country. Yet we've come much closer to electing a committed Mormon as president than we ever have electing a confirmed Atheist. The evangelical Liberty University has had Glenn Beck deliver a commencement address where he took time ...more
Wesley
Jun 01, 2015 Wesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics
When I was a freshman in high school, I was in a class with a few other homeschoolers. We were presenting papers on a certain topic and one of the girls in my class said, "Don't worry, this week I made sure the only holy book I used was the Bible." In an immature aside, I blurted out, "Well, what other 'holy book' could you use?" To which the answer was, "The Book of Mormon."

As a student at Liberty University, I had the (unfortunate) task of listening to Glenn Beck, a Mormon, at one of our convo
Oak
Jun 10, 2015 Oak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mormonism 101: Examining the Religion of the Latter-Day Saints by Bill McKeever and Eric Johnson is a book all about the Mormon faith. Though the book is written by Christians, much of the text is an objective presentation of facts. The book is very thorough, and I learned a lot of new details about Mormonism. Mormonism 101 is a good guide as to how Mormonism differs from mainstream Christianity.

The book talks about Mormons’ key beliefs – such as how they view Jesus, the Trinity, and communion –
Braxton Wilhelmsen
Sep 05, 2009 Braxton Wilhelmsen rated it liked it
This is an anti-mormon book. I probably shouldn't have read it, but I found it at barnes and noble with the cover slashed (probably by a mormon) and got it at a discount as a result. Anyway, I obviously can't recommend it to anyone--not to a skeptic because you really should go to the source of the doctrine to investigate, rather than a biased outsider's critical work. And not recommended to a Mormon because, unless you are terrifically discerning and rather critical, it could be damaging to you ...more
Antar
Feb 25, 2008 Antar rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: apostatas
Recommended to Antar by: was given as gift to my friend Christensen first time i knew abo
Shelves: ficcion
i personally did not like it since the slogan of this socalled christian religion thou canst see their dark intentions "make the world know that mormonism is worng"

I do believe in the liberty to choose and in the wisdom to lift up others even though what they can choose, but unfortunately for Jeremiah Hancock and Bill they knew us while in the mission field and i think now they learnt that making foolish things like this book won`t lift up anybody specially when we answered every desired questio
Joan
Jul 02, 2015 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent comparison of the teachings of Mormonism and that of the Bible as understood by evangelical Christianity. The authors quote extensively from official LDS documents as well as other sources. Even if one is familiar with the teachings of the Mormon church, this is a good resource as it has several indexes included.
See my complete review at http://bit.ly/1KBfQdz.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of an independent and honest review.
Paul Steele
Jun 12, 2015 Paul Steele rated it it was amazing
While written by Christians, the book is very objectively written. It sticks to the facts and history of The Church of the Latter Day Saints without degenerating into fashing or name-calling. Mormons often call themselves "Christians" to help connect with people, but this book does show why this label is a stretch at best and an outright false claim at worst. The non-confrontational style is much appreciated, as I am with mormons much of my day at work. I want to be able to clearly state my fait ...more
DeeAnn
Jul 01, 2016 DeeAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent break down of various aspects of the religion. Good for reference regardless of your personal spiritual beliefs. Author compares Mormonism and Christianity which is especially important since the current (but not always) Mormon belief is that they are one-in-the-same. Clearly depicts where the two are in agreement and where they are in contention.
Gregg
Mar 13, 2012 Gregg rated it liked it
Good general introduction to Mormonism that successfully delineates the significant differences between the Christian faith and Mormon teaching by comparing primary Mormon sources to the Bible.
Ross
Ross rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2012
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Ryan Ogborn
Ryan Ogborn rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Stefanie
Stefanie rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2010
Roger Douglass
Roger Douglass rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Kyle Mcdanell
Kyle Mcdanell rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2014
Carissa Johnson
Carissa Johnson rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2013
Roy
Roy rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Blake Baggott
Blake Baggott rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Bryan Catherman
Bryan Catherman rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Chris Land
Chris Land rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
John Murphy
Aug 13, 2015 John Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite the unbiased overview I was hoping for, but insightful.
Roger
Roger rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2016
preston
preston rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Mateo
Mateo rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016