The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time

The Best Time Travel Stories of All Time

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Fourteen classic time travel stories, selected by award-winning author Barry N. Malzberg. Features "The Battle of Long Island" by Nancy Kress, "The Man Who Came Early" by Poul Anderson, "A Little Something for Us Tempunauts" by Philip K. Dick, "3 RMS GD VIEW" by Karen Haber, "Hawksbill Station" by Robert Silverberg, and "Time-Tipping" by Jack M. Dann.
Published February 1st 2003 by iBooks

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells11/22/63 by Stephen KingTime and Again by Jack Finney
The Best Time Travel Books of All Time
123rd out of 312 books — 578 voters
The Best American Short Stories 2008 by Salman RushdieMurder for Christmas by Thomas GodfreyGood Poems by Garrison KeillorSpeaking With the Angel by Nick HornbyEntrekin by Will Entrekin
Samplers
36th out of 65 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Peter
A varied collection of short stories involving time travel. Individual stories vary in length from a few pages to several dozen. Tones of the stories range from comedic to light to serious to disturbing.

I am not typically a fan of time travel stories. I find usually that the author has a very anti-physical concept of the logical issues involved; one or two of the stories in this anthology declare the problem of causality paradoxes closed by declaring that no human beings may witness the effects...more
Robert
A very nice collection of short stories.

Of course in any collection about one topic there are bound to be some repeats of themes and ideas but overall I think the stories here are all of good quality. In some of the stories the best of Science Fiction comes out where the Science fades into the background and it is about the characters and telling a story from a different angle.

The details that will be problems for future (or past) time travelers are examined and in most stories the elasticity...more
Chris
If you love short stories (which I do) and if you are a science fiction fan (which I am), this should be added to your must-read list.

Despite the (tongue-in-cheek?) title, this is definitely a great collection.

Some of the seeds of our pop-culture understanding of time travel are contained in this book.

Did the writers of "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" read "Time Travellers Never Die"? It's hard to imagine they didn't. "The Man Who Came Early" feels like a rebuttal to "A Connecticut Yankee i...more
The other John
Over the years, I've found that a collection of the "best" stories of a year usually lives up to its title. Any other "bests" tend to fall short. This one came close, however. Mr. Malzberg has collected tales from the forties through the nineties--ah, given the focus of the book, I should say the nineteen-forties through the nineteen-nineties. There are nice, solid time travel tales in here, including one of my personal favorites, "Brooklyn Project". While not spectacular, it's definitely a keep...more
drowningmermaid
It's too bad that I can't give this book a higher rating, since a couple of the stories in here, "Time Travelers Never Die" and "The Chronological Protection Case" in particular, were excellent.

However, there were a lot of fairly-weak stories... long buildups that never went anywhere, simplistic story-lines, two-dimensional characters, etc. I wouldn't have read the whole thing but the husband LURVES his time travel stories. First book I read out loud in its entirety.
Heron
Truly was one of the best books about time travel I've ever read. Phenomenal story-telling. I give it 4 stars because the editor found it necessary to precede every new story with an anecdote about the author, lauding them as the BEST WRITE EVER. It was very annoying and pulled me out of the cool science-fiction vibe I was in.
John Orman
Great stories by Fredric Brown, Philip K. Dick, Robert Silverberg and others. But no Heinlein--"By His Bootstraps" is mentioned, but not included, and there is not even a mention of "All You Zombies." But it does include a graphic adaptation of Bradbury's classic "A Sound of Thunder."
Tim
Fairly average compendium of time travel stories, despite the title. It had a few winners though, like "Time Travellers Never Die" and "The Battle of Long Island", but the entire book is worth a read.
Ipswichblade
Not the best at all a very average selection
kat
Decently okay, but not memorable.
Mikel
Sep 12, 2007 Mikel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
Some very good stories in this book.
bluetyson
isbn,original
Herr Lemmy
Herr Lemmy marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Macoffkilter
Macoffkilter marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Kathie
Kathie marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Nikola Bogdanović
Nikola Bogdanović marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Lise
Lise added it
Nov 21, 2013
Kristi
Kristi is currently reading it
Nov 08, 2013
Mariusz
Mariusz marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
David Hewitt
David Hewitt marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Nada
Nada marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
He has also published as:
Mike Barry (thriller/suspense)
K.M. O'Donnell (science fiction/fantasy)
Mel Johnson (adult)
Howard Lee (martial arts/TV tie-ins)
Lee W. Mason (adult)
Claudine Dumas (adult)
Francine di Natale (adult)
Gerrold Watkins (adult)
Eliot B. Reston

Barry Malzberg lives with his wife and daughter in Manhattan and is worried about having recently reached the ominous age of seventy….

Mr. Malzbe...more
More about Barry N. Malzberg...
Beyond Apollo Galaxies Herovit's World Guernica Night The Falling Astronauts