Start by marking “The Beetle and Me: A Love Story” as Want to Read:
The Beetle and Me: A Love Story

The Beetle and Me: A Love Story

Fifteen-year-old Daisy Pandolfi wants more than anything to rebuild her parents '57 Volkswagon Beetle. For Daisy the Beetle has always been special, almost magical. It must run again, and it will be her very own set of wheels if it does. But she's determined to fix the Beetle herself, with no assistance from concerned family or friends who recognize that Daisy's got a lot ...more
Published February 20th 2001 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Beetle and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beetle and Me

Elizabeth
Aug 02, 2016 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I loved this story the first time I read it and I loved it just as much the second time! I love the way Daisy is, as a strong female character and I adore the double romance, between Daisy and Billy and between Daisy and her car.
Nicole West
Jan 09, 2014 Nicole West rated it really liked it
So cute. Love this story
Aug 06, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who enjoyed "Kate Bjorkman," Joan Bauer and "Keeping the Moon."
Rereading this book has made me remember how much i love it. Daisy is an underage female car mechanic determined to rebuild the engine of the VW beetle that has been slowly moldering away in her parents' icehouse. how can you not want to read it after that? i mean, come on, her aunt is a professional mechanic, her uncle races cars for a living, her sister dances ballet, her mom works in a hospital and everyone in her family gets grubby underneath cars. what a great family dynamic to build a book ...more
Salsabrarian
Feb 04, 2016 Salsabrarian added it
Shelves: ya, audiobook, cars
Audiobook narrated by Julie Dretzin. 15-year-old Daisy Pandolfini and her family are into cars. She knows how to repair them and can talk shop. She takes on the project of repairing her father's old 1957 VW Beetle. Meanwhile, she also crushes on Daniel, sorts through her ambivalent feelings toward Billy and her own teenage angst. Nice portrayal of a close-knit family , lots of car talk, but at times Daisy's introspectiveness is so much navel-gazing.
Teen
This was one of several stories read about girls who are into something besides the boyfriend. In this case the protagonist is into restoring an old Volkswagen Beetle. Some of us felt that there was just too much about the car, but others of us liked that the girl was interested in something nontraditional for a girl.
Loree
Sep 27, 2012 Loree rated it liked it
I found this book buried in a cabinet dusty and neglected. So I took it home and added it to my pile of to-reads. After putting it off until the bottom of the pile, I finally gave it a look. The plotline is outdated and flawed, but something about the Beetle and Me is just plain appealing. I felt a bond Daisy. As she fixed up her old sweet car, I enjoyed this old sweet book.
Jenny
Jan 17, 2011 Jenny rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen, realistic
Daisy can't drive yet, but she is determined to rebuild her father's 57 beetle by herself. Cars run in her family, and she doesn't need any help. It is her refuge away from her confusing life. Her family is always butting in, and even Daisy doesn't always know what she is feeling. But she might just need some help after all, maybe from Billy, who she isn't sure if she loves or not.
Annie Smith
Apr 12, 2013 Annie Smith rated it liked it
I too picked this book up at a used book store because the title had a Beetle Bug in it. It is definitely a teen read! The story is simple but satisfying and inspiring. It showed a different side of a teen girl who was grounded and not afraid to be who she was - auto shop and all!
Alexis
Alexis rated it did not like it
Jan 12, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2012
Kristi
Kristi rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2008
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2008
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Pauline
Pauline rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2014
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2014
Kait
Kait rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Marin
Marin rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2014
David
David rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2008
Cassie Johnson
Cassie Johnson rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2011
Nora
Nora rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2011
Abigail
Abigail rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Haley
Haley rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Savannah Kisling
Savannah Kisling rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2008
Sandi
Sandi rated it it was ok
May 27, 2007
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2013