To Cut a Long Story Short

To Cut a Long Story Short

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  3,532 ratings  ·  121 reviews
From the master storyteller comes a masterful collection of fourteen riveting tales of elaborate confidence tricks, political chicanery, immoral behavior, and dangerously illicit affairs, rendered with the breathtaking narrative twists that have become the Jeffrey Archer hallmark.

Here are all new stories that will engross and astonish, peopled with a rich assortment of tru...more
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1997)

Mark
Feb 26, 2013 Mark rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: Lynne Cezare
Shelves: short-stories
As far as memory serves this is the first Jeffrey Archer I have read. I am a lover of the short story form and so when a friend, who is a big fan of ex-Lord Archer, lent it to me it seemed a good place to begin as it would be a win-win. If I liked his style of writing then I could throroughly enjoy them and perhaps move on to something more substantial later, if I did not, well it was only a small part of my reading life wasted. I did enjoy the stories but perhaps not as much as I had hoped I wo...more
Ammey
Death Speaks
This story is written by an anonymous writer. Jeffrey was so moved by the story that he placed it at the beginning of his book.

The fourteen short stories reviewed below are written by Jeffrey archer. The * in the title of the story indicated that the story is based on true incidents

1) The Expert Witness*
As the name suggests, it’s a story of a court room trial. No doubt this is based on a true incident.
The story has a very good climax and equally good ant-climax
I would rate it as 4 ou...more
Mira
drags on.... and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and...more
Catherine
I enjoy reading Jeffrey Archer's books. His style is one that appeals to me a great deal. He particularly demonstrates a mastery of 'the twist ending' in his short stories which generally prompts me to gasp aloud in astonishment.

In all honesty, this volume is not a collection of what I consider to be his best. I do not regret having read it... quite the contrary! He has published several other collections of short stories; I have found the others to be more compelling.
Tiger
I am an avid fan of all Archer books. In general, I avoid short stories, probably because I find myself unable to master the genre, but I was willing to give anything by Archer a chance.
I found the the pleasure in reading these that I did in reading his novels. They are well written, with unseen plot twists that grab you when least expected.
If you've never read anything by Jeffrey Archer, give these a try. Then move on to his longer works which are even better.
Abu Yillah
Some of the stories are amazing. Others leave you wondering 'what was the point of this story again?!'
Alikokinav
I would give this a 3.5 actually.

The book was overall, quite good.
Some stories standing out much more than the others.
But what I felt was that the endings of some of the stories were predictable.
I managed to guess 2-3 or maybe 4 stories' endings.

The language and certain events in the book...
It was a bit hard to relate to.
I am not sure if it's because it's an old book or because it is very English.
There are many references to English culture.
Or maybe I am just not that well-read :P

Anyway,...more
Jack Kardiac
This was my first exposure to Jeffrey Archer, who came highly recommended by a friend. While I will say the stories are well-written and are not inherently boring, I have to admit I had expected more. I'm accustomed to reading Alfred Hitchcock and crime or horror-lite stories with a twist (or at least more action sequences). So I think it's not so much his style of writing as it is my preferences at this point. I DID find his rendering of the real-life stories to be fascinating and educational....more
Rachael Hewison
This book was, to me, intriguing as nine of the fourteen books were based on true events meaning that the stories had a lot more impact on me as they had actually happened. The only problem was that it only told you which were true at the start which meant constant flicking back to the contents page.
Many of the stories were very humorous, varied enough that you don’t get bored. It’s suitable for both people who want to power through them, but also people who just want to have a read every so oft...more
Lori Bigby
I think books of short-stories are wonderful and Jeffrey Archer is certainly good at story telling. I think it is good to be reading a book that you can sit down and capture the entirety of what the author is saying in one sitting and then move on. I don't like it all the time, but it's refreshing on occasion. These stories are well written and most of them had the same twists in them that you would expect from a full-length novel. I admit, there were two or three that I just didn't get, but the...more
Joan
I have read numerous Jeffrey Archer novels through the years; but this book of short stories bore little resemblance to those mysteries. The fourteen short stories contained in the book varied in length from 2 pages to more than 30 pages. Topics also varied, of course, ranging from confidence games, romantic mysteries, to even some with supernatural characters. Many seemed to take on the flavor of old-fashioned fables with insights into human nature in general. Although I enjoyed some stories mo...more
Brenda Opperman
I do not typically read short stories but decided to give it a try with this one. I enjoyed most of the stories and tried to predict their endings as I read them. It was difficult to find the point of one or two of the stories, but a good read overall.
Avel
I have been a fan of short stories for a while. Mainly because they are digestible and accomplishable in a short sitting. These stories are very well written. Just when you adapt to a storyline, something changes and you stumble down another path. You do physically smirk to yourself at the outcome of a story and I find this work by Jeffrey Archer very enjoyable, though I have yet to read more of his books. There's one slight glitch, If I sometimes settle in for a short story at night, it ends up...more
Toshali Gupta
Every story has a plot to be extended and rewritten in a 300 page book. How jeffrey archer manages to convey the message in simply 10 pages is something you should read his books to understand.
Sana
January 25, 2013

I have read almost half of this short story collection and I am liking it very much. I wanted to read short stories just because I did not want to start a hard-to-put-down novel during my busiest days (exams!).
Now I think it was a good decision. I might not read short stories when I had more time to read novels, so I might not have come across this collection in the first place.

Well, the stories are well written and interesting. I thing Archer has squeezed some good thrillers i...more
Bobbi
i enjoy short stories so this was all good to read. it was about many different characters and each tale was different. Mr. Archer is good at writing an interesting story.
Zara Arshad
This is the first book I've read by the infamous Jeffery Archer, and it turned out to be a short-story book so I thought maybe why not try something new this time...

The book in itself was well-written; like a story being told but the main problem I felt was that the stories were mostly about crimes, cases, courts, business and finance; all of which is clearly not my area of interest. So sometimes it did get a tad boring for me.

But in the end what I liked most about reading it was that it made...more
Alejandra
I read this book because I overheard two men talking about the author on the bus (yes, I eavesdrop, terribly enlightening exercise). The stories are a great and read, and they kept me entertained during my commute by train and bus, so I'm really glad I opened up my ears that day.
Ruwi
Amazing short stories.. Loved everyone of it..
Amar Viswanathan
There is something genuine and endearing about the short stories that Lord Jeffrey Archer comes up with. To Cut a Long Story Short starts with a delightful piece of story writing and then follows it up with a very interesting set of stories that leave you with a smile at the end of it. When you are tired and you need a light read but still a substantial story, I would recommend that you pick this book up and you'll never regret it :).
JC
Awesome short stories and I'm a big fan of these. I'm sure as an author you come up with all kinds of ideas for stories that are impossible to fully extend into a full story and Archer has taken all of these ideas and put them into a full length book. I enjoyed the short stories as they were easy to get through and didn't leave you hanging and could be read in a pretty short time - some were as short as 2 pages.
Angus Wright
I found this book to be very intriguing and entertaining. I really love all of Jeffrey Archer's works, especially finding the way he writes to be particularly enlightening. With his knowledge in the field of law enriching the quality of his texts. All his stories each hold a particular twist which very rarely, if at all, leaves the responder feeling disappointed, often causing the responder to feel a sense of joy.
Ashok Kallarakkal
Considering 'Twist in thee Tale' and 'Quiver full of arrows', I would rate this as the worst short story collection Jeffrey Archer has (probably) ever written. Most of the stories start well and after a good context is made, deteriorates without reason into 'news' taking a journalistic form. Having read over a dozen Jeffrey Archer books, I cannot believe that this one was also written by him.
Muna Zaen
An interesting collection, this one. A truly enjoyable one. Smart and brilliantly written, catching the reader's interest all the time by the wonderful story-telling, regardless of the theme whether it's a court drama, crime story, love affair, family drama etc. and etc. Love it!
Wrote about it here: http://2010rantings.blogspot.com/2012...
Vicki
Not bad. Good to read short stories for a change.
Renie
This book of short stories presents with a intriguing account that some of the short stories are based on actual events and all promised surprise endings. I read the very first (very) short story that consisted of one paragraph and liked it immensely, much to my surprise. However, the remainder of the stories were dull and uninteresting and barely held my attention.
Nyss
Jeffrey Archer is a talented writer but this book did not show that talent in it's full potential. After reading most of his books, I will say that this is one of his most boring ones. It's not supposed to be boring because this is a collection of short stories but the plot of the stories were too average God my taste. I really expected a lot more.
Lahni Johnson
I love short story collections and these are just fun. I work in themiddle of nowhere right next to a library so on my lunch break i spend 15 minutes eating and 45 minutes reading. Just enough time to finish a story or 2 and be done. When I bring the novel I'm working on I always haveto set an alarm for myself so I don't get back to work late.
Paula Dembeck
I really enjoy this author and have read many of his books.

However, I am rarely a fan of short stories.This collection includes fourteen tales of elaborate confidence tricks, political chicanery, immoral behavior and illicit affairs.

My rating is more of a reflection on the short story format than on the content of the stories.

Christy
Some stories were interesting & enjoyable, I really just need to stop reading books of short stories - just not my cup of tea. I applaud the author for including up front that some stories were based on true events - I just wish the asterisk indicating this was at the beginning of each story instead of only on the title page.
  • No Comebacks
  • Bad Company
  • Strong Medicine
  • Big Two-Hearted River
  • More Twisted: Collected Stories Vol. II
  • The Complete Adventures of Feluda, Vol. 2
  • Tales of St. Austin's (School Stories, #3)
  • Acts of Faith
  • Spider's Web
  • City of Dreams (Peter Fallon, #4)
  • The Almighty
  • The Sigma Protocol
  • The Other Side of Me
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married...more
More about Jeffrey Archer...
Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1) Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles, #1) Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less The Prodigal Daughter (Kane & Abel, #2) A Prisoner of Birth