Start by marking “Dismissed With Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)” as Want to Read:
Dismissed With Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)

Dismissed With Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont #7)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,870 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Top ten New York Times bestselling author J.A. Jance′s classic tale of suspense featuring Seattle detective J.P. Beaumont and his desperate race to track down a twisted killer.

Japanese businessman Tadeo Kurobashi had many passions, including computers, poetry, money, and Samurai lore. So his suicide method of choice would naturally be the ancient art of seppuku - what the
Published October 13th 2009 by William Morrow (first published June 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Dismissed With Prejudice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dismissed With Prejudice

Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)
This is a classical whodunnit, dun right.

We're introduced to all the characters fairly early, so there's no sudden introduction of the killer 90% of the way through the book. Everything follows logically, without outrageous coincidence (as detective Beaumont says, the police don't believe in coincidences, so why should mystery readers be expected to), and naturally, I didn't figure out whodidit, even with all the clues.

I must say though that it was terribly dated - this library e-book had a c
Marti
This book was somehow less interesting to me than some of the others in the series that I have read. It seemed a bit disjointed. In this one, a Japanese businessman appeared to have committed ritual suicide but of course it was actually murder. It seemed that Jance was trying to put in more plot twists but it just made the novel seem to lurch from setting to setting and event to event. At this point, however, I remain a Beaumont fan and do plan to read more novels in this series. I would only gi ...more
Megargee
More than a little far-fetched, this 7th entry in the J. P. Beaumont series leaves enough loose threads to weave a kimono. As usual we learn more about Seattle traffic patterns and Beau's eating habits than we do about how the unlikely conspirators put their plan into action. Jance even forgets to have Beau find the murder weapon she has so carefully hinted at throughout the narrative. In the back story, Beau's abused liver finally rebels and it appears he is about to get a divorce from MacNaug ...more
Jan C
I enjoy the J P Beaumont series. Too bad I haven't read them in order. So when I pick one up I never know if I have read it before. I hadn't read this one.

It did take me down some memory lanes though. The book starts with him having an injury he has no idea how he got it. Starts with a blackout. Unfortunately I can remember a few of those from the old days.

A man is found dead. Those who knew him are certain he didn't kill himself. The autopsy proves it. Beau and Big Al set out to find the kille
Chris
Carol
I liked this book. Three and a half stars. It was well written and a fairly decent mystery. This was the 7th Beaumont book in the series.(1989) J.P. Beaumont is a detective with the Seattle police.Beau seems to run on no sleep. He has a serious lack of social graces and doesn't seem to care what others might think. He is a very good detective even though he has an alcohol problem. On rare occasions the reader gets to see the softer side of Beaumont...This story starts off with the death of a Jap ...more
Ed
#7 in the J.P. Beaumont series.

J.P. Beaumont, Seattle police detective, is on assignment as the technical advisor to a moviemaker when a body is found on the set. Beau thinks the assigned detectives are too quick to write off the case as an accident and he investigates links to other deaths connected to a construction union. His independent action get him in trouble with his superiors.
Nel
Another good Jance novel. The murder of a Japanese American businessman has Beau and his partner looking for answers while at the same time Beau is looking for answers as to why his hand has a splint on a couple of his fingers. Seems something happened to Beau's hand the night before at the wedding of his former partner, Ron Peters. Beau has a tremendous hangover and can't remember a thing. The plot thickens as to both mysteries as the book progresses.
Diana
One of the better early JP Beaumont books. It was a great mystery, and Beau does not sleep with one of the suspects, which is always a bonus. There is A LOT going on in the book & at times, it is hard to keep track of everyone. In the end, it was a very fun read.
Mum
Too many characters. Too many wild goose chases. Exhausting to read. Since the motive was weak, most of the story was overwrought and unnecessarily complicated. The only reason I finished was a very sleepless night. The next one in the series shows promise.
Amy
Kay
Japanese samurai traditions, Japanese family saga, Seattle setting (learned about the building at 1201 Third Avenue in Seattle!), Chicago mob--all this and J.P. Beaumont, too. What's not to love?!
Alec Peche
It was an entertaining story. I think there was some excessive violence. Liked the history of Japanese swords. Good story lead-up to Beaumont's drinking problem.
Pat
Vickie
J.P. Beautram is a detective from the Seattle Police Department investigating a murder of a Japanese man by an antique sword. Fast read.
Jessica Lauber
Another page-turner. Jance hooks the reader right away, builds and twists the plot and ties up loose ends by the conclusion.
Nora
First time reading this author. Was a good read, kept my interest till the end.
Kay
Enjoyed book very much. Can't wait to continue series. J.A. Jances character development is very good.
A-bookworm
J.A. Jance is good at what she does.

This is one of a long list of her JP Beaumont detective series. She has 4 series she works on, she's a very prolific writer, consistently good, and always entertaining. I like them because it's like watching TV, only better. You get to know the characters, they are well fleshed out, the reader becomes involved in how they're doing, and the stories are good, often with some social comment to them.

This one is as good as all the others. Great literature? no. Goo
Bruce Snell
Book number Seven in the J.P. Beaumont series by J.A. Jance - 3 stars.
Lenny Findley
A powerful story with some really kind and giving characters. Jance at her best. Suspenseful, but believable, with a satisfying ending.
Donna Collier
Enjoyable, quick read. Nothing more, nothing less!
Cherisse
Melissa
Book #16 read in 2013

This book was a little slow to start. There were some "culture" lessons that made it drag a little. But I could see how they were important to the story. There was less action in this one than in others of the series. But since J.P. Beaumont is one of my favorite fictional detectives, I'm glad to see there was progress in his character development.
Jackie
Always love reading her books.
Donna Mcnab
When a Japanese American computer whiz is found dead with a ceremonial sword at his side, it is first assumed that he has committed ritual suicide, but it soon becomes apparent that he was murdered. J. P. Beaumont and his partner are soon embroiled in another fascinating case. I think that you can become addicted to these Beaumont novels!
Bonnie
I like Ms. Jance's mysteries as they are entertaining, keep one guessing and aren't full of offensive material. This one is from her series featuring Seattle detective J. P. Beaumont. Since I live in western Washington this also adds to the interest. I feel that this is one of the best in the series.
Megan
Ok. I'm confess I've grown attached to the characters in this series. I'm glad we are up to the nineties and cell phones are starting to appear. I didn't particularly take to the victims in this story. I'm looking forward to going back to audio. The library is missing several in the series on audio.
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)
  • The Deepest Water
  • The Silent Bride (April Woo, #7)
  • Hard Truth (Anna Pigeon, #13)
  • A Taint In The Blood (Kate Shugak, #14)
  • Who in Hell Is Wanda Fuca? (Leo Waterman, #1)
  • Falsely Accused (Butch Karp, #8)
  • Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett, #4)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

J.P. Beaumont (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont, #1)
  • Injustice for All (J.P. Beaumont, #2)
  • Trial by Fury (J.P. Beaumont, #3)
  • Taking the Fifth (J.P. Beaumont, #4)
  • Improbable Cause (J.P. Beaumont, #5)
  • A More Perfect Union (J.P. Beaumont, #6)
  • Minor in Possession (J.P. Beaumont, #8)
  • Payment in Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)
  • Without Due Process (J.P. Beaumont, #10)
  • Failure to Appear (J.P. Beaumont, #11)
Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1) Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont, #1) Fire and Ice (J.P. Beaumont, #19 / Joanna Brady, #14) Betrayal of Trust (J.P. Beaumont, #20) Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)

“You’re sure good at that. I never have been able to work crossword puzzles.” “I’m good at it, Wanda, because my mind is brimming over with useless facts and information.” 0 likes
“People die. Quarrels don’t.” 0 likes