Dismissed With Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)

Dismissed With Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont #7)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,445 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Top ten New York Times bestselling author J.A. Jance′s classic tale of suspense featuring Seattle detective J.P. Beaumont and his desperate race to track down a twisted killer.

Japanese businessman Tadeo Kurobashi had many passions, including computers, poetry, money, and Samurai lore. So his suicide method of choice would naturally be the ancient art of seppuku - what the...more
Published October 13th 2009 by William Morrow (first published June 1st 1989)

Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)
This is a classical whodunnit, dun right.

We're introduced to all the characters fairly early, so there's no sudden introduction of the killer 90% of the way through the book. Everything follows logically, without outrageous coincidence (as detective Beaumont says, the police don't believe in coincidences, so why should mystery readers be expected to), and naturally, I didn't figure out whodidit, even with all the clues.

I must say though that it was terribly dated - this library e-book had a copy
Jan C
I enjoy the J P Beaumont series. Too bad I haven't read them in order. So when I pick one up I never know if I have read it before. I hadn't read this one.

It did take me down some memory lanes though. The book starts with him having an injury he has no idea how he got it. Starts with a blackout. Unfortunately I can remember a few of those from the old days.

A man is found dead. Those who knew him are certain he didn't kill himself. The autopsy proves it. Beau and Big Al set out to find the kille...more
Marti
This book was somehow less interesting to me than some of the others in the series that I have read. It seemed a bit disjointed. In this one, a Japanese businessman appeared to have committed ritual suicide but of course it was actually murder. It seemed that Jance was trying to put in more plot twists but it just made the novel seem to lurch from setting to setting and event to event. At this point, however, I remain a Beaumont fan and do plan to read more novels in this series. I would only gi...more
Chris
Carol
I liked this book. Three and a half stars. It was well written and a fairly decent mystery. This was the 7th Beaumont book in the series.(1989) J.P. Beaumont is a detective with the Seattle police.Beau seems to run on no sleep. He has a serious lack of social graces and doesn't seem to care what others might think. He is a very good detective even though he has an alcohol problem. On rare occasions the reader gets to see the softer side of Beaumont...This story starts off with the death of a Jap...more
Nel
Another good Jance novel. The murder of a Japanese American businessman has Beau and his partner looking for answers while at the same time Beau is looking for answers as to why his hand has a splint on a couple of his fingers. Seems something happened to Beau's hand the night before at the wedding of his former partner, Ron Peters. Beau has a tremendous hangover and can't remember a thing. The plot thickens as to both mysteries as the book progresses.
Diana
One of the better early JP Beaumont books. It was a great mystery, and Beau does not sleep with one of the suspects, which is always a bonus. There is A LOT going on in the book & at times, it is hard to keep track of everyone. In the end, it was a very fun read.
Amy
Kay
Japanese samurai traditions, Japanese family saga, Seattle setting (learned about the building at 1201 Third Avenue in Seattle!), Chicago mob--all this and J.P. Beaumont, too. What's not to love?!
Kay
Enjoyed book very much. Can't wait to continue series. J.A. Jances character development is very good.
A-bookworm
J.A. Jance is good at what she does.

This is one of a long list of her JP Beaumont detective series. She has 4 series she works on, she's a very prolific writer, consistently good, and always entertaining. I like them because it's like watching TV, only better. You get to know the characters, they are well fleshed out, the reader becomes involved in how they're doing, and the stories are good, often with some social comment to them.

This one is as good as all the others. Great literature? no. Goo...more
Bruce Snell
Book number Seven in the J.P. Beaumont series by J.A. Jance - 3 stars.
Lenny Findley
A powerful story with some really kind and giving characters. Jance at her best. Suspenseful, but believable, with a satisfying ending.
Cherisse
Melissa
Book #16 read in 2013

This book was a little slow to start. There were some "culture" lessons that made it drag a little. But I could see how they were important to the story. There was less action in this one than in others of the series. But since J.P. Beaumont is one of my favorite fictional detectives, I'm glad to see there was progress in his character development.
Donna Mcnab
When a Japanese American computer whiz is found dead with a ceremonial sword at his side, it is first assumed that he has committed ritual suicide, but it soon becomes apparent that he was murdered. J. P. Beaumont and his partner are soon embroiled in another fascinating case. I think that you can become addicted to these Beaumont novels!
Bonnie
I like Ms. Jance's mysteries as they are entertaining, keep one guessing and aren't full of offensive material. This one is from her series featuring Seattle detective J. P. Beaumont. Since I live in western Washington this also adds to the interest. I feel that this is one of the best in the series.
Megan
Ok. I'm confess I've grown attached to the characters in this series. I'm glad we are up to the nineties and cell phones are starting to appear. I didn't particularly take to the victims in this story. I'm looking forward to going back to audio. The library is missing several in the series on audio.
Richard Etzel
I've read most of her books about JP Beaumont and enjoyed them all. She has you come back for the next installment as her character moves through life and changes his perspective. This one not only solves the crime but also has Beau dealing with his alcohol consumption. A good read!
JoAnn Ainsworth
Well structured tale. Enjoyable. I would have deleted the last sentence, however, and ended with the one before. We can draw our own conclusions and “gratitude” is much stronger than “him”.
[8/2012--my mind. Second read was just as great and last sentence worked.]
Maria
this one really kept my attention. the mystery was a good one, and it had enough of a personal story (that goes from book to book) to really keep me interested. although, J.P. Beamount without McNaughton's?! that will be interesting!
Jeff Dickison
I enjoy the J.P. Beaumont series and this one was an average entry in the series. For whatever reasons, I did not enjoy it as much as some of the others. I am sure Jance fans will like it. Recommended to Jance & Beaumont fans.
Kristen
Unfortunately I'm not reading these in order, but they are nicely told stories. This one could have used a little more about the Japanese culture, but good characters and it took me most of the book to figure out what was going on.
Dominique
Another classic JA Jance book. At first I thought this was going to be a bit boring but it later turned into a suspenseful who dun it. Great work! On to the next!
Liz
One of the better JA Jance mysteries with JP Beaumont. After reading some YA fiction, this was very satisfying. She is a great writer.
Chelsea Force
Very entertaining with exciting plot. I was starting to get bored with the series and this woke it up for me again. Great read
April
Poor old J.P. busted fingers he doesn't remember how he did it. Chasing the bad guys and finding out he has to quit drinking.
Merceda
Another great book. Hard to imagine that Beaumont is going to quit drinking. Will be interesting to read later books.
  • The Angel Maker (Boldt/Matthews, #2)
  • Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2)
  • Hard Truth (Anna Pigeon, #13)
  • Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6)
  • Cast In Stone (Leo Waterman, #2)
  • Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)
  • Death Qualified - A Mystery of Chaos (Barbara Holloway #1)
  • Cry Dance
  • There's Nothing to Be Afraid Of (Sharon McCone, #7)
  • Black Water (Merci Rayborn #3)
  • Liar (Irene Kelly, #6)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann...more
More about J.A. Jance...
Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1) Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont #1) Betrayal of Trust (J.P. Beaumont, #20) Fire and Ice (J.P. Beaumont, #19 / Joanna Brady, #14) Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)

“asked. “What’s wrong?” 0 likes