Start by marking “The Santaland Diaries and Season's Greetings” as Want to Read:
The Santaland Diaries and Season's Greetings

The Santaland Diaries and Season's Greetings

THE SANTALAND DIARIES is a brilliant evocation of what a slacker's Christmas must feel like. Out of work, our slacker decides to become a Macy's elf during the holiday crunch. At first the job is simply humiliating, but once the thousands of visitors start pouring through Santa's workshop, he becomes battle weary and bitter. Taking consolation in the fact that some of the ...more
Published December 1st 1998 by Dramatists Play Service

To ask other readers questions about The Santaland Diaries and Season's Greetings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Santaland Diaries and Season's Greetings

Sandi
Dec 17, 2014 Sandi rated it liked it
David Sedaris's world view is a bit dark and cynical for me. HIs stories are clever and engaging, but unsatisfiying. I think it would improve his writing if he could more often find something symathetic about the characters he satarizes. For example, the story about the prostitute his sister brings home for Thanksgiving dinner is far more appealling than the stories where he simply criticizes the upper middle class and priviledged for being upper middle class and privileged. He lampoons the ...more
Joy
Jul 10, 2012 Joy rated it it was amazing
This freaking book is hilarious. I was chuckling through the entire thing. David Sedaris is a wonderful writer. He is honest and uncensored, which I appreciate. He keeps in all of the details, right to the gross-out and wishing-it-wasn't-true. Anything he writes should be an excuse to have a party. "Hey, David Sedaris wrote a new book!" "Sweet, now we can celebrate with much merriment and heel-kicking!"
Annie Sutton-Falk
Jan 15, 2013 Annie Sutton-Falk rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-babes
Laugh out loud funny, especially if you grew up in NYC and an annual visit to Santa land was on your parent's calendar; or if you now receive an annual Christmas letter from a friend or two. You know, those long letters with TMI about extended family members whom you've never met, tucked into a photo card for ID purposes.
Elizabeth Nelson
Jan 07, 2015 Elizabeth Nelson rated it liked it
I read both I really like Santaland it is as funny and fun as you think it might be. With Dave Sedaris it is a great story about him.
My only problem was with Season's Greetings the story was interesting but because I know too much about things it in the end just made me mad.
Tita
Santaland Diaries is perfect, classic Sedaris. Tons of good laugh out loud moments. I can appreciate Seasons Greetings, which is clever too, but it doesn't even compare. I prefer his reflections from his personal life.
Savannah Darling
May 26, 2012 Savannah Darling rated it really liked it
Classic David Sedaris. I had listened to this story on This American Life before, so it wasn't new, but that honestly added to the fun because I couldn't keep from reading the entire book in a David Sedaris voice.
Martha
Dec 08, 2014 Martha rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I liked The Santaland Diaries which, for the most part, balanced out the acidic with the earnest and/or funny parts. The satire in Season's Greetings was a bit too much for me, though, sliding right across the line into offensive and unpleasant.
Darla
Nov 05, 2008 Darla marked it as to-read
I heard this guy reading his work on NPR the other day... it was hysterical, I've decided that I have to own everything he's written... :)
Michelle
Nov 17, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This stage version of the book was hysterical and for anyone who is somewhat anti-Christmas. Very funny!
linda
Mar 06, 2007 linda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: favorite
"Santa has a tumor. Maybe it will go away tomorrow, but I don't think so," will never ever ever stop being funny.
Bonnie Roman
Jul 30, 2011 Bonnie Roman rated it it was amazing
The story of being an elf had me alternately laughing out loud and cringing in horror. Great stuff!
Ryann
Mar 02, 2007 Ryann rated it it was amazing
A dark, funny look at the holiday season. The book is great, but the plays are even better on stage.
Gabie (OwlEyesReviews)
Jan 20, 2016 Gabie (OwlEyesReviews) rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013, play
This was actually kind of depressing. The first one was kind of funny but the second one made me actually a little upset...
Amanda Ishtayeh
Sep 14, 2009 Amanda Ishtayeh rated it really liked it
The Santaland Diaries was hysterical as only Sedaris can be...I did not think Seasons Greetings was as funny but still a warped sense of humor that I enjoy.
Amy Mueller
Amy Mueller rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2011
jane
jane rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2008
Erika
Erika rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2008
Eoin
Eoin rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Chris Amidon
Chris Amidon rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2011
Karen Warr
Karen Warr rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2014
Jamaiquina
Jamaiquina rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Jenny
Jenny rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2010
Sarah rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2012
Jodi
Jodi rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Sabrina Sternberg
Sabrina Sternberg rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2012
Wesley Verhoeve
Wesley Verhoeve rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Meg
Meg rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2009
Lissette
Lissette rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2014
andrea
andrea rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Debbersb10
Debbersb10 rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2009
  • Kick Ass: Selected Columns
  • The Baltimore Waltz and Other Plays
  • The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup: My Encounters With Extraordinary People
  • Student's Vegetarian Cookbook, Revised: Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegetarian Recipes
  • The Book of Liz - Acting Edition
  • Farragut North
  • The Mammoth Book of Killers at Large
  • Four Major Plays, Vol. 2: Ghosts / An Enemy of the People / The Lady from the Sea / John Gabriel Borkman
  • Marisol and Other Plays
  • Red
  • The House of Yes
  • The Lonesome West
  • The 39 Steps: A Play
David Sedaris is a Grammy Award-nominated American humorist and radio contributor.

Sedaris came to prominence in 1992 when National Public Radio broadcast his essay "SantaLand Diaries." He published his first collection of essays and short stories, Barrel Fever, in 1994. Each of his four subsequent essay collections, Naked (1997), Holidays on Ice (1997), Me Talk Pretty One Day (2000), Dress Your Fa
More about David Sedaris...