Dates From Hell

Dates From Hell (The Hollows #2.5 - Undead in the Garden of Go)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  7,765 ratings  ·  259 reviews
She thought her date was out of this world.
Actually, he was not of this world . . .

We've all been on bad dates, nightmare dates, dreadful experiences that turned out to be uniquely memorable in the very worst way. But at least our partners for these detestable evenings were more or less . . . human!

Now Kim Harrison, Lynsay Sands, Kelley Armstrong, and Lori Handeland -- fou...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 28th 2006)

Judgement of Souls by Margarita FelicesRedemption by Victoria Steele LogueThe Nightlife by Travis LuedkeBound By Blood by Shane K.P. O'NeillAncient Blood by Brian Patrick McKinley
Vampires
441st out of 516 books — 318 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I started this one and put it down almost two years ago. I was distinctly disturbed by Ivy's backstory (from the Rachel Morgan books by Kim Harrison), featured in Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil. It was not at all what I'd call a romance. Her relationships with the men in this story were dark, tangled, and unsettling. It's good to have some perspective on Ivy, but I'm afraid I don't have a good opinion of her character right now. Maybe that was the point, and we will see her evolve as she...more
AH
Anthologies are always hit or miss for me. It is rare that I like all the stories or am able to finish the entire book, especially when the authors are new to me. Dates From Hell is not one of those anthologies. I loved the stories.

Dates From Hell has stories by Kim Harrison, Lynsay Sands, Kelley Armstrong, and Lori Handeland. Two authors that were familiar to me, and two authors that I had not yet read. Each story explores dating in the paranormal/supernatural world.

Undead in the Garden of Go...more
Cherie
The last two stories in this anthology really made this book. Though I like Kim Harrison's writing, her first published short story included here was kind of dry, though Kelley Armstrong's story really rocked. I've included individual reviews for each story below.

Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil by Kim Harrison
Read 08-Jun – 09-Jun-2006
This is Ivy's story, before she meets Rachel and Jenks and starts Vampiric Charms. We learn a lot more about what makes Ivy tick, and how she comes to her dec...more
Mel
Dates from Hell is an anthology with 4 short stories. Frankly, only the Kim Harrison and Kelly Armstrong story are worth buying the book. I'll give a short review of them all:

Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil by Kim Harrison 4 stars

Ivy Tamwood is an investigator for Inderland Services and -however hard she tries- she can't escape her own nature or vampire politics.
This is a story about Ivy and told from Ivy's POV. It's a good way to better get to know the ever mysterious Ivy Tamwood, althoug...more
Layla Smith
"The Kim Harrison story was really bad. I don't if it because I haven't read any of her books, but I felt really confused by her world. It took me a minute to even kind of understand what her character was. I was not impressed by that character at all. She seemed very whiny, and my life is woe without really trying to change anything about it. I was very disappointed, especially after reading her short story in Prom Nights from Hell, because that one was very entertaining.

Lynsay Sands' story was...more
Tatiana
Mar 25, 2010 Tatiana rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
I am using 3-star rating here liberally, because I actually read only 1 story out of 4 - Kelley Armstrong's novella "Chaotic." Having been burned by many anthologies, nowadays I only bother to read short stories written by the authors I know and respect. Kelley, again, didn't let me down.

"Chaotic" is one of those Armstrong's stories which will be interesting to both existing fans of her "Women of the Otherworld" series and readers new to her writing. Unlike stories in "Men of the Otherworld" ant...more
Heather
I read this book as part of a reading challenge as it is a collection of short stories written by different authors. I enjoyed 2 out of the 4 stories, though story 3 outshined them all.

Story one is written by Kim Harrison and weaves the tale of a live vampire detective attempting to over come her nature and move up within the ranks of her division. The plot was interesting enough, but given the title of this anthology, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of, uh, smut. Also, this story took plac...more
Shanon
I haven’t read an anthology from front to back without skipping any stories in… well… forever. I have only read Harrison’s work and enjoyed reading some shorts from authors I haven’t had any other exposure to. Out of the three new-to-me authors I will definitely be reading more of Kelley Armstrong’s work. The others I’m still on the fence on.

Undead in the Garden of Good & Evil by Kim Harrison – 4 Stars

I liked this story but I’m glad I waited until I’d read more of the series before reading...more
Kathy Davie
Kim Harrison's Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil is a prequel to Harrison's paranormal Hollow series and provides a good bit of background as to Ivy's thoughts and feelings which lead to her encounter with Rachel as well as her relationships with Kisten and Picardy.

Note: Harrison's website states that Undead is #2.5. Chronologically, it doesn't make sense to me...whadda I know...

Lynsay Sands' Claire Switch Project is a fun read of two souls who have loved each other for years finally taking...more
(´*•.¸ღBexღ¸.•*´)
This is a 4 story anthology with very good stories.

"Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil" by Kim Harrison is the story of Ivy and Kirsten before they met Rachel. Ivy is being pressured by her boss Art (a vampire jerk) and how she deals with him is downright funny; it also explains why she wound up as a runner for Interland Security.
4 stars

"The Claire Switch Project" by Lynsay Sands Clare and Kyle are old high school buddies (now grad students) working on a molecular destabilizer. She is zapp...more
Kat
4 UF/PR stories by 4different authors, all loosely tied to the idea of dating and the paranormal.

Story #1- Kim Harrison's contribution and the reason I picked up the book in the first place. A good, solid story. It had a full, interesting plot, and it tied in to the Hollows series I've devoured very closely. Actually, it was quite good that I read this story when I did, just after finishing White Witch, Black Curse, because it ties very closely to that book- it explains all of the backstory rega...more
Nadia
Okay so this had four stories, let's discuss them a little bit.

The first one's by Kim Harrison which I'm assuming from other reviews is a novella connected to another series. I don't know if me not being accustomed with the series is to be accused here, but I really struggled with this one. I didn't get the point and the heroine's mindset seemed really complex to me. 2 stars.

The Claire Switch Project is actually the first part of this other story called "Run, Run Rudolph" which you can find in...more
I like these books with multiple authors as they let you dip your feet into new pools without much commitment. I have since read many Kelley Armstrong and Kim Harrison books and have a pile of Lyndsay Sands waiting for me to read. I wouldn't mind reading Lori Handeland books too. I need to see what else she has written and put her on my list.

Anyway - I really enjoyed this book and am tempted to read it again now that I have read quite a few of the Kelley Armstrong Women of the Otherworld books....more
Krista
I checked this out of the library to read the first story by Kim Harrisn because of 'Hollows' series tie in. It was good and filled in the backstory of Ivy and Kisten, and how Ivy came to work with Rachel. But it was pretty dark and humorless. I really missed Rachel and Jenks! 4 Star Rating

I wend on to read the second story by Lynsey Sands. It was AWFUL! I really should have trusted the other reviews posted about this story. I've never anything by Lynsey Sands, and now I really doubt that I ever...more
Carolyn F.
I loved the Kim Harrison story - it was so sad to read about Kisten. Lyndsy Sand's story was so-so. Kelly Armstrong's story was good. I read Frostbitten and they were talking and about Hope and Karl and this is about their first meeting. Lori Handeland's story was better than average.
Katya
Since this is an anthology with four stories, I'll give you condensed thoughts about each of them.
1-Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil by Kim Harrison. I was sorely disappointed in this, I was looking forward to seeing events told from Ivy's perspective, and while this book delivered, I was not impressed. It was boring and a bit confusing. If what she did to Art really happened, why is there no repercussions that would have followed through in the first book? 2 Stars.
2-The Claire Switch Proje...more
Selen ozleyen
İlk ve sonuncu hikayeler güzeldi. İkinci hikaye daha çok bilim kurguydu ve bu kitaba uymamıştı. üçüncüsünde çok kafam karıştı birazda saçma geldi.
Dharia Scarab
Another surprisingly good anthology.

I'm not a fan of Kim Harrison, so I wasn't impressed with her short story. The story is about Ivy but is mislabeled in my opinion as 2.5, since chronologically it takes place prior to Dead Witch Walking. If anything it should be 0 or 0.5

The other three stories were excellent.

1 star... This book was bad, so bad I may have given up and sk...more
SaraJane
I bought this book for the Kelley Armstrong story, which was excellent. Definitely the best of the four. If you're wanting to read that story, you can actually get Chaotic as a stand-alone novella and save yourself from the other 3 stories.

The Kim Harrison story was probably really great for anyone who is already familiar with her books and the characters she's created. It was definitely a different sort of vampire story, but not really one that lent itself to a short story quite as well as some...more
Nairabell
Partial review

I'll be reviewing this one as I go so it may take me a while to read and review each story depending on what other books are on my "read asap" pile. I'll add a star rating once I've reviewed each story.

To be reviewed

Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil by Kim Harrison
The Claire Switch Project by Lynsay Sands
Dead Man Dating by Lori Handeland

Chaotic by Kelley Armstrong

Hope Adams is in the middle of a dull first date when her half-demon gift gives her an out. Hope is a rare type of h...more
 ♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥
Dates from Hell is an anthology with 4 short stories. I have to tell you, I read only one story last year when I wanted to read a book by Kelley Armstrong. The first meeting of those characters are in the book Dates From Hell.

Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil by Kim Harrison 4 stars

This story is told by Ivy Tamwood, the vampire in the Hollows series. For those who wanted to look more into the life of Ivy, this is the shory story for you. The story allows you a glimpse into the her life and...more
☂ ℬrandi
❤❤❤

This story compilation tells the tales of some of the worst dates you can imagine and a few, really are. It's mild on sex but not on innuendo, varying degrees of romance. Kim Harrison's story is loaded with information about Ivy Tamwood, and though I haven't read the Hallows series, I doubt you learn a great deal more about Ivy while reading this. Lynsay Sands story is humors and light, without being fluffy and offers a sweet romance. Kelly Armstrong takes you through a wild night with a magn...more
Immortal Fiction
I would give this 3.5 stars if I could because of Lori Handeland's story. It was my favorite and I'd give it 4 stars on its own. Chavez is hot, mysterious and mostly honorable without being perfect. The heroine's vulnerable strength mixture is appealing too. I didn't care much for the sudden conclusion that came together without much effort. Or maybe that was an Epilogue. It just came too easy and obvious for completion of such a strong storyline. I hadn't read anything from Lori Handeland yet a...more
Tressa
Dates From Hell is a collection of short stories from several different authors. This, of course, makes it more difficult to rate the book as a whole. I really liked one story, thought one story was okay, and disliked the other two stories.

The best story, in my opinion, was Chaotic by Kelley Armstrong. The characters and setting were vividly written. Even though it was a short story, it felt complete and I was intrigued by the characters. I'd rate this story with four stars.

Dead Man Dating by L...more
Merve  Özcan
There are four stories in this anthology, half of them is predictable (3,4)first other stories, i really enjoyed.
first one, tells a living vampire's life, scheming and planning and sad. This living vampire is hurt by a dead vampire(there is two type) and she is having some trouble about her life style. in the end she lost someething but she opened new doors for her life. if you use some one you really love him or her. there is no happy ending in this story but that makes it more real.

second sto...more
Katie
I should have realized that I didn't like Kim Harrison enough to pick up a book that specifically said in the title it was going to be about dating (and thus 'romance'). Bleh. Don't bother getting this unless that's the genre you enjoy.

Harrison's story was ok. It was interesting to see a story from one of the other character's point of view...in this case, Ivy before she hooked up with Rachel (the main character in her series).

Sands was juvenile & poorly written. Sciency science!! makes a h...more
Heather Dalgarno
I have only read the Kim Harrison short story in this anthology, as part of my run up to reading the brand new 7th book in the Rachel Morgan series ("White Witch Black Curse"). While I have read the full novels multiple times each I have never read any of the associated short stories. I'll update this review when I have read the remainder of the stories, but that's not likely to be for a while.

So for fans of Kim Harrison who wonder what this short story is about, here goes....

This is a prequel t...more
Raven
I really didn't enjoy this book. The only part that I honestly enjoyed was the short story of Kim Harrison's but that was only because it gave more background into Ivy's character. Something that's quite nice since the main series is just focused on Rachel.

As far as "Dates" I think the only story that could possible count as a date in this book would be "Chaotic" and even then that wasn't really a traditional date...

Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil: Like I said I really enjoyed getting to...more
Jer
THIS IS A GREAT SERIES! It has become my all time favorite.
KIM HARRISON(Dawn Cook) is the best, you will be hooked from book 1, page 1.

SHE WILL ALWAYS LEAVE YOU WANTING MORE...AND WAITING FOR THE NEXT IN THE SERIES!

You will not be disappointed! K.H.'s characters come alive, you will laugh and cry with them, grow tremendously from book #1. I love the world that K.H. has created. Bio-engineered tomatoes, witches, vampires, pixies, faeries, trolls, wolves...

The first book runs kinda slow in the be...more
Stephanie
I originally got this because I wanted to read Ivy's story from the Rachel Morgan Hollows series by Kim Harrison. I was surprised, but pleasantly so, by the darkness of this story. Ivy's character is much more brooding and tormented than Rachel has been. This was the first time Ivy's thoughts have been revealed as she has them, since Rachel narrates the story in the series proper and therefore has to mostly guess what Ivy is thinking. It was interesting to get in her head a little bit.

I REALLY d...more
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.2)
  • Recruit (Otherworld Stories, #9.6)
  • A Fantasy Medley
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • No Rest for the Witches (Nightcreature, #7.5) (Magic, #3.5) (The Others, #3.5)
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
Kim Harrison, dark urban fantasy author of the New York Times bestselling Ever After, was born and raised in the upper Midwest. After gaining her bachelors in the sciences, she moved to South Carolina until the lure of snow pulled her back to Michigan When not at her desk, she is most likely to be found landscaping her yard or on the links with her mom.

Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook h...more
More about Kim Harrison...
Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3) The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2) The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6) For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)

“Your mother sets you up blind dates? With guys like that?" The corners of his mouth twitched. "She doesn't like you very much, does she?” 16 likes
“Oddly enough, I find the best hostages are the live ones. - Karl” 13 likes