Start by marking “Dates From Hell” as Want to Read:
Dates From Hell

Dates From Hell (The Hollows #2.5)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  9,933 Ratings  ·  305 Reviews
She thought her date was out of this world.
Actually, he was not of this world . . .

We've all been on bad dates, nightmare dates, dreadful experiences that turned out to be uniquely memorable in the very worst way. But at least our partners for these detestable evenings were more or less . . . human!

Now Kim Harrison, Lynsay Sands, Kelley Armstrong, and Lori Handeland -- fou
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dates From Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dates From Hell

Judgement of Souls by Margarita FelicesThe Nightlife by Travis LuedkeRedemption by Victoria Steele LogueBound By Blood by Shane K.P. O'NeillAncient Blood by Brian McKinley
243rd out of 526 books — 376 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I started this one and put it down almost two years ago. I was distinctly disturbed by Ivy's backstory (from the Rachel Morgan books by Kim Harrison), featured in Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil. It was not at all what I'd call a romance. Her relationships with the men in this story were dark, tangled, and unsettling. It's good to have some perspective on Ivy, but I'm afraid I don't have a good opinion of her character right now. Maybe that was the point, and we will see her evolve as she ...more
Anthologies are always hit or miss for me. It is rare that I like all the stories or am able to finish the entire book, especially when the authors are new to me. Dates From Hell is not one of those anthologies. I loved the stories.

Dates From Hell has stories by Kim Harrison, Lynsay Sands, Kelley Armstrong, and Lori Handeland. Two authors that were familiar to me, and two authors that I had not yet read. Each story explores dating in the paranormal/supernatural world.

Undead in the Garden of Go
Apr 15, 2008 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last two stories in this anthology really made this book. Though I like Kim Harrison's writing, her first published short story included here was kind of dry, though Kelley Armstrong's story really rocked. I've included individual reviews for each story below.

Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil by Kim Harrison
Read 08-Jun – 09-Jun-2006
This is Ivy's story, before she meets Rachel and Jenks and starts Vampiric Charms. We learn a lot more about what makes Ivy tick, and how she comes to her dec
Dates from Hell is an anthology with 4 short stories. Frankly, only the Kim Harrison and Kelly Armstrong story are worth buying the book. I'll give a short review of them all:

Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil by Kim Harrison 4 stars

Ivy Tamwood is an investigator for Inderland Services and -however hard she tries- she can't escape her own nature or vampire politics.
This is a story about Ivy and told from Ivy's POV. It's a good way to better get to know the ever mysterious Ivy Tamwood, althoug
Mar 25, 2010 Tatiana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of urban fantasy
I am using 3-star rating here liberally, because I actually read only 1 story out of 4 - Kelley Armstrong's novella "Chaotic." Having been burned by many anthologies, nowadays I only bother to read short stories written by the authors I know and respect. Kelley, again, didn't let me down.

"Chaotic" is one of those Armstrong's stories which will be interesting to both existing fans of her "Women of the Otherworld" series and readers new to her writing. Unlike stories in "Men of the Otherworld" ant
I read this book as part of a reading challenge as it is a collection of short stories written by different authors. I enjoyed 2 out of the 4 stories, though story 3 outshined them all.

Story one is written by Kim Harrison and weaves the tale of a live vampire detective attempting to over come her nature and move up within the ranks of her division. The plot was interesting enough, but given the title of this anthology, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of, uh, smut. Also, this story took plac
Feb 05, 2016 Lorre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chaotic (WotO 5.2) by Kelley Armstrong
Chaotic was a fab Otherworld novella!
Hope Adams is a half-demon and journalist on a date at the museum.
What started as a very boring blind date, turns into a huge mess when her powers alert her that something bad is happening in the museum... and it's connected to Karl Marsten. 5 stars

Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil (The Hollows 2.5) by Kim Harrison
I was really happy when I saw this short story was about Ivy before she met Rachel. But what a sad story
Dates From Hell like the other book of the Short Stories from Hell series was awesome. Like the others of this series I've read it was to sample the authors of these short stories: Kim Harrison, Lynsay Sands, Kelley Armstrong, and Lori Handeland-- and I loved what I read.

Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil by Kim Harrison was the first story in the book and although it wasn't my favourite in the Dates From Hell book, I still very much enjoyed it. Especially the ending/the last couple chapt
May 27, 2015 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I should have realized that I didn't like Kim Harrison enough to pick up a book that specifically said in the title it was going to be about dating (and thus 'romance'). Bleh. Don't bother getting this unless that's the genre you enjoy.

Harrison's story was ok. It was interesting to see a story from one of the other character's point of this case, Ivy before she hooked up with Rachel (the main character in her series).

Sands was juvenile & poorly written. Sciency science!! makes a h
Layla Smith
"The Kim Harrison story was really bad. I don't if it because I haven't read any of her books, but I felt really confused by her world. It took me a minute to even kind of understand what her character was. I was not impressed by that character at all. She seemed very whiny, and my life is woe without really trying to change anything about it. I was very disappointed, especially after reading her short story in Prom Nights from Hell, because that one was very entertaining.

Lynsay Sands' story was
Kathy Davie
Kim Harrison's Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil is a prequel to Harrison's paranormal Hollow series and provides a good bit of background as to Ivy's thoughts and feelings which lead to her encounter with Rachel as well as her relationships with Kisten and Picardy.

Note: Harrison's website states that Undead is #2.5. Chronologically, it doesn't make sense to me...whadda I know...

Lynsay Sands' Claire Switch Project is a fun read of two souls who have loved each other for years finally taking
Jan 24, 2011 Bex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, e-books
This is a 4 story anthology with very good stories.

"Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil" by Kim Harrison is the story of Ivy and Kirsten before they met Rachel. Ivy is being pressured by her boss Art (a vampire jerk) and how she deals with him is downright funny; it also explains why she wound up as a runner for Interland Security.
4 stars

"The Claire Switch Project" by Lynsay Sands Clare and Kyle are old high school buddies (now grad students) working on a molecular destabilizer. She is zapp
4 UF/PR stories by 4different authors, all loosely tied to the idea of dating and the paranormal.

Story #1- Kim Harrison's contribution and the reason I picked up the book in the first place. A good, solid story. It had a full, interesting plot, and it tied in to the Hollows series I've devoured very closely. Actually, it was quite good that I read this story when I did, just after finishing White Witch, Black Curse, because it ties very closely to that book- it explains all of the backstory rega
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil, The Hollows 2.5

3 stars

Ivy POV. Gives insight into her and Kisten's relationship that is continually hinted at in the books. AND this is the novella to read if you've ever been DYING to know what it was that made Art (view spoiler) so damn mad. Heads-up, it was Ivy, not Kist that did it, so that explains her reaction after that whole mess came to light.

If you (like me) aren't a big Ivy fan, and are looking
Aug 01, 2016 belisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ilk ve son hikaye duymaya değerdi, üçüncü hikayede ne nedir anlayana kadar canım çıktı, bir de sıkıcıydı, ikinci hikaye ise eh işte...
Nadia  Islam Nitol
Okay so this had four stories, let's discuss them a little bit.

The first one's by Kim Harrison which I'm assuming from other reviews is a novella connected to another series. I don't know if me not being accustomed with the series is to be accused here, but I really struggled with this one. I didn't get the point and the heroine's mindset seemed really complex to me. 2 stars.

The Claire Switch Project is actually the first part of this other story called "Run, Run Rudolph" which you can find in
I like these books with multiple authors as they let you dip your feet into new pools without much commitment. I have since read many Kelley Armstrong and Kim Harrison books and have a pile of Lyndsay Sands waiting for me to read. I wouldn't mind reading Lori Handeland books too. I need to see what else she has written and put her on my list.

Anyway - I really enjoyed this book and am tempted to read it again now that I have read quite a few of the Kelley Armstrong Women of the Otherworld books.
Shauna Bonilla
I checked this out of the library to read the first story by Kim Harrisn because of 'Hollows' series tie in. It was good and filled in the backstory of Ivy and Kisten, and how Ivy came to work with Rachel. But it was pretty dark and humorless. I really missed Rachel and Jenks! 4 Star Rating

I wend on to read the second story by Lynsey Sands. It was AWFUL! I really should have trusted the other reviews posted about this story. I've never anything by Lynsey Sands, and now I really doubt that I ever
I got this book to read about Kisten, a character created by Kim Harrison, but ended up more impressed by the other authors offerings. Kim's story was heavy on the exposition of her world magic, I can see she had to explain for new readers, but it felt clumsy to me. The story was okay, but only that, despite my fondness for the characters.

Lynsay Sands story was fun, a bit daft, but it made me laugh and was unexpected.

I had read Kelley Armstrong before, but due to an aversion to werewolf sex I di
Since this is an anthology with four stories, I'll give you condensed thoughts about each of them.
1-Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil by Kim Harrison. I was sorely disappointed in this, I was looking forward to seeing events told from Ivy's perspective, and while this book delivered, I was not impressed. It was boring and a bit confusing. If what she did to Art really happened, why is there no repercussions that would have followed through in the first book? 2 Stars.
2-The Claire Switch Proje
Apr 21, 2012 Selen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
İlk ve sonuncu hikayeler güzeldi. İkinci hikaye daha çok bilim kurguydu ve bu kitaba uymamıştı. üçüncüsünde çok kafam karıştı birazda saçma geldi.
As is often the case this anthology had stories that varied in enjoyment for me. I don't feel right giving one overall rating as that shortchanges all of them I think. For me Kim Harrison's contribution didn't work for me much. It got 2 stars. Lynsay Sands entry here was very cute (as you expect from her). A nice solid 4 stars. Kelley Armstrong had another 4 star story and I liked it so much I want to see what else is in this series. Lori Handeland had a nice 3 star story. A longer length of all ...more
P๏€cɨℓią* ~SLiTsRead
finished "Chaotic". So now I know how Hopes and Karl met.
Claire Blind Reader
Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil: 5 stars! I really liked the characters and plot. I had some issues with the way the world was laid out because it tried to do a lot of development with so little page space. but I kept up and it was a really good read.

The Claire Switch Project: ugh, 2 stars. it was sooo predictable. it was a bad rom/com all the way through. I kept hoping they would try to change up the plot but it didn't. the idea is cool but it didn't do anything new or interesting.

This anthology contains four short stories, so I will be rating each individually and then taking the average for the overall rating.

Undead In the Garden of Good and Evil - Kim Harrison - 3.5 Stars
I am a fan of Kim Harrison’s ‘The Hollows’ series, and enjoyed the opportunity to focus on one of the most interesting characters in the series; Ivy. Ivy is a vampire that works for the homicide squad of Interland Secuirty, and this story is a prequel to the first book in the series ‘Dead Witch Walking
Dharia Scarab
Another surprisingly good anthology.

I'm not a fan of Kim Harrison, so I wasn't impressed with her short story. The story is about Ivy but is mislabeled in my opinion as 2.5, since chronologically it takes place prior to Dead Witch Walking. If anything it should be 0 or 0.5

The other three stories were excellent.

1 star... This book was bad, so bad I may have given up and sk
I bought this book for the Kelley Armstrong story, which was excellent. Definitely the best of the four. If you're wanting to read that story, you can actually get Chaotic as a stand-alone novella and save yourself from the other 3 stories.

The Kim Harrison story was probably really great for anyone who is already familiar with her books and the characters she's created. It was definitely a different sort of vampire story, but not really one that lent itself to a short story quite as well as some
Partial review

I'll be reviewing this one as I go so it may take me a while to read and review each story depending on what other books are on my "read asap" pile. I'll add a star rating once I've reviewed each story.

To be reviewed

Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil by Kim Harrison
The Claire Switch Project by Lynsay Sands
Dead Man Dating by Lori Handeland

Chaotic by Kelley Armstrong

Hope Adams is in the middle of a dull first date when her half-demon gift gives her an out. Hope is a rare type of h
I haven’t read an anthology from front to back without skipping any stories in… well… forever. I have only read Harrison’s work and enjoyed reading some shorts from authors I haven’t had any other exposure to. Out of the three new-to-me authors I will definitely be reading more of Kelley Armstrong’s work. The others I’m still on the fence on.

Undead in the Garden of Good & Evil by Kim Harrison – 4 Stars

I liked this story but I’m glad I waited until I’d read more of the series before reading
  • Blood Lite II: Overbite  (Otherworld Stories, #10.3)
  • A Fantasy Medley (Otherworld Stories, #9.2; Crown of Stars, #7.5; Realms of the Elderlings)
  • My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon
  • Recruit (Otherworld Stories, #9.6)
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #2.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • No Rest for the Witches (Nightcreature, #7.5) (Magic, #3.5) (The Others, #3.5)
Kim Harrison, author of the New York Times #1 best selling Hollows series, was born in Detroit and lived most her her life within an easy drive. She's currently working on the Peri Reed Chronicles, and when not at her desk, is most likely to be found landscaping her new/old Victorian home, in the garden, or on the links.
Kim reaches out to her audience at Facebook
More about Kim Harrison...

The Hollows (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Turn (The Hollows Prequel)
  • Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)
  • Every Which Way But Dead (The Hollows, #3)
  • A Fistful of Charms (The Hollows, #4)
  • For a Few Demons More (The Hollows, #5)
  • The Outlaw Demon Wails (The Hollows, #6)
  • White Witch, Black Curse (The Hollows, #7)
  • Black Magic Sanction (The Hollows, #8)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)

“Your mother sets you up blind dates? With guys like that?" The corners of his mouth twitched. "She doesn't like you very much, does she?” 16 likes
“Oddly enough, I find the best hostages are the live ones. - Karl” 14 likes