Start by marking “No Surrender: A World War II Memoir” as Want to Read:
No Surrender: A World War II Memoir

No Surrender: A World War II Memoir

The Nazis caught him, but they couldn't hold him-a gripping WWII memoir from a D-Day paratrooper and American hero.

A paratrooper in the 101st Airborne, James Sheeran was just a kid when he floated into Normandy on D-Day-only to be captured soon afterward by the Germans. Escaping from a POW train bound for Germany, Sheeran traveled behind enemy lines in France, eventually
Published February 1st 2011 by Berkley (first published December 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about No Surrender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Surrender

Miles
Aug 09, 2015 Miles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best war memoirs I have read. It's really good. The author parachuted behind enemy lines on D-Day with the 101st Airborne, was captured by the Germans, escaped, and spent months fighting with the French Resistance, before finding his way back to his unit and rejoining the fight in the Netherlands. He recounts the story in detail and with heart. His time with the French Resistance is amazing to contemplate.

Overall, this is a gripping narrative that moves forward with the pace a
A.L. Sowards
Aug 31, 2011 A.L. Sowards rated it really liked it
This was a hard-to-put-down WWII memoir. The author parachuted into France, then was captured on D-day. He escaped from his POW train and was hidden by the French underground and got involved with the Resistance. When his area was liberated, he went back to the 101st and was involved with Market Garden and then Bastogne.

The author was good at picking out the interesting details. He knew when to summarize and when to tell the story fully. He was also good at giving just enough background history
Chris
Jan 13, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: wwii, world-war-ii
I really enjoyed this book, being a gripping story of a soldier who, captured by the Germans on Operation Overlord D-Day, escaped, joined the French Resistance, and came back to fight after being liberated.

For as much as I liked reading the book, I found a couple of things that didn't seem accurate to me. I was confused, and maybe others are as well, so I'll list them.

For example, on page 11, Sheeran talks about the initial "click" of the "cricket toy", then the other soldier saying "flash" wit
Alison
Jun 22, 2011 Alison rated it it was amazing
What a fascinating first person account of a paratrooper captured by the Germans during WWII. James Sheeran fought hard to be accepted by the military during the second world war and he fought the Germans just as hard. A gripping tale of a young man (only seventeen at the time of enlistment) who parachutes and is captured by the Germans; excapes from a prisoner train; unexpectedly finds his way to the French town where his Mother was born (she met James' father during WW I) and learns about the ...more
Relstuart
Jan 17, 2014 Relstuart rated it liked it
A lively telling of a young man's adventures during WWII as one of the 101st Airborne tells his story. He jumped as part of the D-Day invasion. Was captured with several of fellows and escaped as they were being transported to a German POW camp with one other member of his unit. They hid/ran from the Germans for months in France finding the village where his mother grew up and connecting with some people from her life before she moved to America. They eventually reconnected with Patton's Army ...more
Lesley
Jun 26, 2013 Lesley rated it really liked it
I liked this book very much. It's the first-hand account of a paratrooper, James Sheeran, and his experiences during and after the Allied invasion of Normandy in 1944. Sheeran was a member of the 101st Airborne Division, (the "Band of Brothers"). The book is fairly short but Sheeran's time in war-torn France and Belgium is filled with accounts of his survival after being captured by the Germans, his escape, fighting alongside the French Resistance and connecting with his mother's French family.
Roadhouse
May 27, 2011 Roadhouse rated it really liked it
Great book!

The guy joins the army during WWII, gets send to England. In the opening hours of the liberation of the continent, he is taken prisoner. He escapes a prison train, and joins the French resistance.

Once France is liberated, he rejoins his army platoon and fights his way through Germany.

After reading this book, I realized how comfy and easy my life is. The next time that I am stuck in traffic, I will not complain, because at least I not stuck on a prison train.

Arabella
Apr 04, 2011 Arabella rated it it was ok
The story of Sheeran's escape following capture as a POW at D-Day was interesting, but the second half of the book lost me in standard warfare descriptions; hard to keep track of what was happening and to whom. The style of writing is not at all sophisticated, and the French and German included in the book was HORRIBLE and as such very distracting. Couldn't he have found an editor who could check the foreign content? Pretty inexcusable, especially as Sheeran is half-French himself.
Scott
Jan 04, 2014 Scott rated it liked it
A good story but I find myself thinking it is far too over zealous and at most slightly believable. The book reads as a giant whitewash, things the author speaks of seemed to slip into place far too easily and at just the right time to always save his skin or appear to make him out as a hero wanna-be. I'm simply not sure what to make of his story.
Monte Lamb
Jul 15, 2014 Monte Lamb rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-war-ii
This is a terrific first-hand account of a member of the 101st Airborne division and his action in WWII. He was captured very soon after jumping into France on D-Day. His experiences briefly as a POW and his escape are amazing to read. It is well written and you learn a great deal about this man's perseverance and desire to serve America.
Jacob
Aug 28, 2011 Jacob rated it liked it
Shelves: world-war-ii
Great book. This man had some truly amazing experiences. Pretty well written, not the best though. There's a lot of French and German that is not translated. So sometimes during the dialougue it's hard to understand. Other than that it's an adequate book.
Hannah
May 25, 2013 Hannah rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoirs
If the writing was not incredible, the story certainly was. James Sheeran, the man behind the tale sounds to have been a man my father would have called "salt of the earth". If "fortune favors the bold" was an adage in need of a patron saint, this book could fill the role.
Terry
Jul 27, 2012 Terry rated it liked it
I liked this book -- it was very well written memoir of the experiences of a very young airborne trooper that was captured by the Germans on D-Day+1. His escape and time spent with the Maquis really brought something different to the war memoir. I would recommend it -- it's a fast and easy read.
Forrest Lacy
Apr 09, 2011 Forrest Lacy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The man had a good memory.

He's honest about his feelings and thoughts during the ultimate nightmare and adventure of his life.
Liz
Aug 25, 2011 Liz rated it liked it
Although this memoir of one soldiers fighting in France against the Nazis was interesting, the book itself was just not that well written.
Nowen
Feb 16, 2015 Nowen rated it really liked it
Reading this book made me ask if I'd be able to man-up tenfold and rise to the occassion like James Sheeran did. This retelling of his experiences in France was a fascinating read.
Sharon Zink
Apr 13, 2011 Sharon Zink rated it it was amazing
Very interesting account of the European theater of World War II. I would recommend this book to anybody.
Leora
Leora rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Chase Montambo
Chase Montambo rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Ray
Ray rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2012
Burgess W. Rice
Burgess W. Rice rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Mike
Mike rated it it was ok
May 27, 2011
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2011
Liam Cunningham
Liam Cunningham rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Noelle
Noelle rated it really liked it
May 17, 2011
John Claffy
John Claffy rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers: A Return to Easy Company's Battlefields with Sgt. Forrest Guth
  • To Kingdom Come: An Epic Saga of Survival in the Air War Over Germany
  • Soldier from the War Returning: The Greatest Generation's Troubled Homecoming from World War II
  • Dog Company: The Boys of Pointe du Hoc--the Rangers Who Accomplished D-Day's Toughest Mission and Led the Way across Europe
  • Hero of the Pacific: The Life of Marine Legend John Basilone
  • D-Day with the Screaming Eagles
  • The Filthy Thirteen: From the Dustbowl to Hitler's Eagle's Nest - The True Story of the 101st Airborne's Most Legendary Squad of Combat Paratroopers
  • You'll Be Sor-ree: A Guadalcanal Marine Remembers The Pacific War
  • Brave Men
  • Eastern Inferno: The Journals of a German Panzerjager on the Eastern Front, 1941 43
  • Seven Roads to Hell: A Screaming Eagle at Bastogne
  • No Better Place to Die: Ste. Mere-Eglise, June 1944: The Battle for La Fiere Bridge
  • Behind Hitler's Lines: The True Story of the Only Soldier to Fight for both America and the Soviet Union in World War II
  • Jimmy Stewart: Bomber Pilot
  • Arnhem 1944: The Airborne Battle, 17-26 September
  • If You Survive: From Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge to the End of World War II, One American Officer's Riveting True Story
  • A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge