Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better

Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  37 reviews
A new edition, packed with even more clever tricks and methods that make everyday life easierLifehackers redefine personal productivity with creative and clever methods for making life easier and more enjoyable. This new edition of a perennial bestseller boasts new and exciting tips, tricks, and methods that strike a perfect balance between current technology and common se...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Wiley Publishing (first published June 3rd 2011)

Bryan
There are some good tips in here and some of them inspired me to get organized to a degree that I've not been in some time. There are also many cool web apps covered (though I imagine this will mean that the book will not age particularly well). As someone who works in IT and reads Lifehacker regularly, a lot of the contents were familiar territory so I ended up skipping a lot, but I think someone who's less technical might benefit quite a bit from this book.

My main objection is that a lot of th...more
Daphne
This book is full of tips to improve your life. If you read Lifehacker (the blog) on a regular basis, you might expect a lot of variety. However, most of the book is dedicated specifically to "tech tips". I felt disappointed by that. I guess I think of "life hacking" as a larger endeavor than just "use your computer more efficiently". But is that the book's fault, or mine? It's a book worth looking at.
Eric Wallace
Oct 11, 2011 Eric Wallace rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who wants to be more efficient, but doesn't often take the time to learn it
One would think I am the perfect target market for this book: I am an efficiency addict, so much so that my wife calls me "Captain Efficiency". I am constantly updating my systems in search of the elusive goal of ever-increasing productivity. And of course I follow the Lifehacker.com blog (in my RSS reader, natch) to learn about the latest tools and tricks.

Alas, the Lifehacker Guide mostly served as an opportunity for me to hone my speed-reading and skimming skills... because I already do so man...more
Phil
This was a good one. The book is laid out by topic, so it was easy to skip over the stuff that I didn't have any interest in. Since the book casts a pretty wide net, there was quite a bit that I either already knew, or didn't care about. However, there was a lot of stuff that was crazy useful; I was able to find several things to improve efficiency in my work and personal life. I'm a big fan of anything that helps me free up time, which is essentially what this book is all about. It's worth look...more
Jellie Dawn
Love the website. The book? Not so much. It's focused more on tech tips and I thought I could glean additional information, but I guess I know more about technology than I think I do.
Nick
If you're reasonably technological, you'll have already made use of most of these tricks. But there's always another one and a new way to save time, work more efficiently, and make technology your servant. For me, the tips on passwords alone was worth the price of the e-book. If you're a regular reader of Lifehacker on line, you won't need this compendium, but for everyone else, this book will offer you enough tasty morsels to make the meal worthwhile.
Eric
Very useful tips and tricks. I thought some sections were unnecessarily long, especially those that included details on how to carry out installation steps (which may be self-explanatory when you're actually installing the software) like "After you click Next, you will be led to.. blah blah." Some tricks like the Seinfeld chain website were also not that useful but rather seemed to be only for fun or coolness. I totally support the Seinfeld method but the website sucked big time... I would rathe...more
David Lindelof
As a long-term subscriber to the Lifehacker blog and newsletter, I can't really say that a I learned a lot from this book. Most of the tips I had already heard about. There were a few gems though which were probably worth the tiny price I paid for the book (about USD 10$ directly from the publisher for the electronic version).

If you've never visited Lifehacker before this book will certainly be useful. Though you might be irritated at the tell-tale blog post format.
Jessica
I picked up a few new tips, but much of it was at least familiar. There were some tips that I'd never do, but maybe a more IT savvy person would enjoy those. The book is from 2011, but already there were some dated tools. That's the thing with reading computer/web focused texts. They're out of date within a year.

Still, it's an easy read if someone just wants to skim it for a few hours. You'll surely pick up some new tips.
Dana
I enjoy having this book on my nightstand as a reference for whenever something goes a little awry in my techno life. REALLY helped when my father's internet browser got hijacked (again). I enjoy not having to help him every single time he messes something up (at least five times a day) so I make him check this book first to see if the answer might be in there. Gooooood stuff.
Nick
Many great ideas to use technology to become more organized. I quickly scanned through those that appealed to me and ignored many others. A few years old and I believe recently updated. I found this book on a library site, so was able to read without purchasing, which is good as many of the hacks are now outdated or old hat.
Mark Love
If you avoid paying for software whenever possible, are always in the presence of a very fast Internet connection, don't mind the loss of all sorts of useful features that native apps provide, find ugly user interfaces enjoyable, and think Google is your friend, there's a lot in this book for you.
Conny
Some useful tips from organising your email and getting things done to setting up your own home media server. Explanations are for Mac and Windows, very nice.

But also some tips of how to organise your papers and organize your 'real' desktop, which I didn't need
Horacio
Me demoré en terminarlo porque está repleto de buenas ideas que dan ganas de implementar. Seguramente todo esto está en la Web, pero me parece un excelente resumen de los mejores trucos para los geeks de la productividad. Recomendable!
Dhuaine
Obsolete if you visit the Lifehacker website more or less regularly.

Very helpful tips, but unfortunately rather "beginner-level" and many of them are common sense. The introductory parts were quite lengthy too.
Stephen Cranney
Really good overview of a lot of the software and computer tricks you can do to make your day run more smoothly. Highly recommended for people who spend a lot of time working on the computer.
Ryan Seamons
Great overview of tools for the knowledge economy worker. Things like inbox management, keyboard shortcuts, and other tech tools are critical to know and this book gives a great overview.
sara frances
luckily my life isn't crazy or complicated enough for many of these tips to be useful for me. but the applicable ones i did find were totally worth skimming through this book. swype! <3
Lewis Cawthorne
Lot's of useful tips. Definitely worth skimming through. Especially if you are like me and don't have the free time to keep up with stuff as it is posted to the site.
Glenn Street
I read the first edition several years ago. This edition retains the high-level of usefulness, while updating information to account for "Internet time".
Ernestas
This was a good starter guide to lifehacking and all the geeky stuff, there are really good tips and trickd for working smarter, faster and better.
Sławek Karwasz
Poziom pomiędzy kursem "komputerowego prawa jazdy" a "e-emerytem". Książkowa forma lifehackera moim zdaniem kompletnie się nie sprawdza.
Teri Temme
Awesome book - some really great tips and tricks! My favorite right now is GrandPerspective to see what is hogging space on my Mac.
David Meyers
Filled with some pretty good tips at making your life more efficient using different bits of technology.
Megan
While I loved this book, I did become a "lifehacker" addict. I'm going cold turkey right now.
Sandra
I thought this book was great, espeically for those with computers at their fingertips.
Lramesh
A great howto book, helps you save a lot of time using various computer hacks.
Margot Note
Read for review in the International Journal of Information Management.
Thomas Moore
Very useful advice. Hopefully I can make myself use some of it.
Daniel
Quite an interesting read with all the life hacks mentioned.
  • Lifehacker: Upgrade Your Life
  • Mindhacker: 60 Tips, Tricks, and Games to Take Your Mind to the Next Level
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • Me 2.0: Build a Powerful Brand to Achieve Career Success
  • 18 Minutes: Find Your Focus, Master Distraction, and Get the Right Things Done
  • Virtually You: The Dangerous Powers of the E-Personality
  • Visualize This: The FlowingData Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics
  • The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Book You'll Ever Need
  • The One-Minute Organizer Plain & Simple: 500 Tips for Getting Your Life in Order
  • Breakthrough Rapid Reading
  • Ready for Anything: 52 Productivity Principles for Getting Things Done
  • Extreme Productivity: Boost Your Results, Reduce Your Hours
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business With a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • The Plundered Planet: Why We Must--And How We Can--Manage Nature for Global Prosperity
  • The Procrastination Equation: How to Stop Putting Things Off and Start Getting Stuff Done
  • Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management
Lifehacker. Jak żyć i pracować z głową. Jak zaoszczędzić godzinę dziennie? Sprawne zarządzanie czasem The Complete Guide to Google Wave How to Do Everything with Your iPhone