Start by marking “White Elephant Dead (Death on Demand, #11)” as Want to Read:
White Elephant Dead (Death on Demand, #11)

White Elephant Dead (Death On Demand #11)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  877 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Murder is, surprisingly, not all that uncommon on timy Broward's Rock, an idyllic sea island community off the South Carolina coast. Annie Darling's popular mystery bookshop, Death on Demand, is where the locals come to discuss the juicy details of each criminal offense--under the watchful gaze of a pampered feline prima donna named Agatha. But now Annie's dear friend (and ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about White Elephant Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Elephant Dead

Ivy
There are good things that I liked and bad things that were annoying about this book.

Good: I really enjoyed not knowing for sure what was going to happen next. Annie keeps right on getting herself into all kinds of trouble and Max keeps getting her out of it. They seemed to do more investigating in this one. Just about the time I thought I might know who the killer was another clue was dropped that through my guess all out of whack. I don't think that I would have ever guessed who the killer wa
Ellie
White Elephant Dead by Carolyn Hart is about as perfect a cozy mystery read as I can imagine. Everything moves along just the way I always hope but don't usually get in a read meant to be restful. Funny thought: how some of us find a nice murder mystery "restful" but some of us do & this one was great. The writing is smooth and free from grammatical incongruities or errors. That seems like a minimum requirement for a good read but truthfully I don't even always get that. As a bonus feature, ...more
Barbara ★
Just like the one and only other Annie and Max book I read, this one got on my ever-loving nerves! Why must Ms. Hart constantly reference other books, authors and even characters? It happens on almost every single page of the 300+ page book.

She combined the doggedness of Bertha Cool (who?) confronting Donald Lam (who?) with the serenity of Maud Silver (who?) quoting Tennyson. That entire sentence could have been written and better understood without all those extra people that mean nothing to m
Hannah Gokie
If you like mysteries - especially reading mysteries - this is the series for you. The main character owns a mystery bookstore in South Carolina, and the author works in references to famous mysteries quite often. Then the character ends up involved in mysteries, comparing herself to some very famous sleuths (Ms. Marple, Hercule Poirot, etc.) Annie, the main character, is sweet and lovable, and together with her husband Max they are reminiscent of Tommy and Tuppence Beresford, in the Agatha Chri ...more
Sandi
Love her books! Very Agatha Christie and very clean in language, sex and violence.
This was my first Death on Demand book, and I liked it well enough to try and read some of the other ones. I did find it annoying that she referenced so many other books and their characters half I had never heard of. It was just something I learned to overlook.
George
#11 in the death on demand mystery series. Murder is, surprisingly, not all that uncommon on timy Broward's Rock, an idyllic sea island community off the South Carolina coast. Annie Darling's popular mystery bookshop, Death on Demand, is where the locals come to discuss the juicy details of each criminal offense. Annie and friends rally the members of their various network of volunteer organizations to come to the defense of a prominent and popular member who is a murder suspect. Though the myst ...more
Fmorlan
Annie, owner of death on demand, gets involved again with murder. Her friend Henny goes missing and they find a dead body during the search. This has interesting twists and turns for Annie to deal with.
Terri
I had been away from this series for some time, but the return has been a pleasant one. These are wonderful cozies that lead to reading other books because of the descriptions of the books in the bookstore.
Sandra
The Deadth on Demand books are always a lark to read. Carolyn Hart has the ability to make her characters just quirky enough to be fun, not so quirky that you are annoyed.
Vicky Beltz
Cozy murder mysteries set out of a bookstore "Death On Demand."
Dogsmom Laura
I do not think there is a mystery author or series author Carolyn Hart and book store owner Annie Darling are not intimately familiar with. Just learning about those was interesting as each was used to fill in details about this book's murder mystery.

This book took me a while to read as you can not rush through the twists and turns in this plot. There are SO MANY details for the reader to pay attention to. A good story but do not pick this up as a quick read.
To get the most out of it you must de
Kate
"Murder is, surprisingly, not all that uncommon on tiny Broward's Rock, an idyllic sea island community off the South Carolina coast. Annie Darling's popular mystery bookshop, Death on Demand, is where the locals come to discuss the juicy details of each criminal offense -- under the watchful gaze of a pampered feline prima donna named Agatha. But now Annie's dear friend (and best customer) Henny Brawley stands accused of murdering a Women's Club volunteer-cum-blackmailer. So dive into the shark ...more
Sandra Strange
Carolyn Hart writes about mystery bookstore owner Annie Laurance and her mate, Max Darling (a southerner who has money, so works as a solver of problems because he neither wants to exercise or go through the certification process for law or as a PI or to put in much effort to work hard at either). This one entangles them in another murder mystery when one of Annie's favorite customers is accused of a murder she cannot remember having witnessed, much less committed.
The series features Max's New A
Donna
While I ended up enjoying this book, I found the constant references to other mysteries, many of which I was unfamiliar with, to describe the actions of characters or emotions of characters, to be both distracting and annoying. The mystery itself was interesting and cleverly devised, though which kept the story interesting.
The usual overabundance of mystery me dropping, but I just skip over those passages. Not much Laurel in this one , which is why it gets 4 stars rather than 3. Laurel is by far the most annoying and pointless character in the series.
Pat
Annie and Max solve mystery with help of a mystery writer.
White elephant sale going on.
Paula Montgomery
Annie Darling, owner of bookstore, Death on Demand, again becomes involved in two murders that center on her friend Henny and at least four blackmailing schemes. When the club women's van goes missing with Kathryn Griffith, Henny goes out to find it. When Henny goes missing, Annie goes out to find her. That begins the mystery and murders. This is a "too cute" mystery designed for very light reading. It does keep your interest as you try to figure out which blackmailer is responsibile.
This is the first book of this series I have read. I had read a review below that mentioned annoyance with tha author's repeated reference to other mystery characters and authors....which I agree with. I let just as annoyed as the main character, Annie did when her "friend" Emma, an author of mysteries, kept mentioning her books and storylines! But, if you ignored that.....it was a great little mystery that kep me guessing until the end!
Dogsandbooks
DPL e book. A triffle
Pat

Her constant reference's to other characters and other mysteries has become an aggravation. It also has led to contortionist like sentences. "Did he think he was Anthony Boucher's Fergus O'Brien? Well, she wasn't going to have her discovery belittled. As was once observed by a long ago detective, Harvey O' Higgins's John Duff, every crime has a psychooogical origin."

Really. She could skip all that.
Sam
The main character of this series, Annie Darling, is fun, but somewhat annoying. As any character in a story must, she makes avoidable mistakes and misses obvious clues. The author, however, includes a map of the fictional island on which the story is set. Being a map-lover, I enjoyed this quite a bit. I've read a few others in this series and I think they are all about the same.
Conni Harness
Good read and I'm Looking forward to the next in this fun interesting series!
Sallie
This was in one of my many piles of books-to-read. I think I might have all ready read it years ago, but I didn't remember whodunit, so it was all new to me anyway. It just sounded familiar somehow. I was in need of a light, cozy mystery after THE LITTLE COLONEL'S HOLIDAYS.
Kimi
Feb 11, 2008 Kimi rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my worst enemy
This book was so terrible, I put it down about 1/5 of the way through. I've only done that with 2 other books in my lifetime. Don't even try to slog through this one. You won't make it past 2 pages without suffering through 25 references to other mystery books or authors.
bookczuk
Usually I like these Death on Demand mysteries as a bit of fluff mystery reading between other books, but this one totally annoyed me. Too much bringing in of other mystery titles and such, too cutsie. It may put me off Annie and Max for a while.
Shirley
Another book I didn't finish. Too much analyzing. Some nice parts, as in the work involved in getting ready for a White Elephant sale, but perhaps looking for a more thought-provoking mystery.
Kristen
Now that the author has quit jumping from character to character, the story isn't too bad. I could do without the constant references of mystery authors and their characters.
Norma
Apr 24, 2013 Norma marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Silver Scream (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #18)
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
  • Sins Out Of School (Dorothy Martin, #8)
  • Lavender Lies (China Bayles, #8)
Also writing as Carolyn G. Hart.

An accomplished master of mystery with 46 published books, Carolyn Hart is the creator of the highly acclaimed Henrie O,Death on Demand, and Bailey Ruth Raeburn series. Her books have won multiple Agatha, Anthony, and Macavity Awards. Letter from Home (2003), her standalone mystery set in Oklahoma, was nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. Her latest book is Dead by Mid
More about Carolyn Hart...

Death On Demand (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Death On Demand (Death On Demand, #1)
  • Design For Murder (Death On Demand, #2)
  • Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3)
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • A Little Class on Murder (Death on Demand, #5)
  • Deadly Valentine (Death on Demand, #6)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Mint Julep Murder (Death on Demand, #9)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1) Dare to Die (Death on Demand, #19) Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand, #12) Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10) April Fool Dead (Death on Demand, #13)

“We can have all the facts in the world, but what it comes down to is character - Max Darling” 1 likes