Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training

Sit up and pay attention to the book that bonds people to their best friends.
This revised and updated edition offers tips and tricks that will help readers work with their canine pals to solve behavior issues together.
? "The Complete Idiot's Guide(r) to Positive Dog Training" continues to be one of the most successful series titles in the Pet category
? A perfect read
ebook, 3rd Edition, 336 pages
Published January 1st 2011 by Alpha Books (first published 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training

Johanna Bouchard
description

This book completely changed the way I think about dogs.

Let me begin by saying that prior to this book, I was training (and I use that word very loosely) my dogs with the traditional punishment-based techniques. My dog at the time, a gentle Malamute/Siberian/Wolf mix was, as I was told, stubborn and disobedient (do you ever wish you could go back in time and kick yourself for being so stupid???). Also, because of his wolf breeding, I was told I needed to be the “alpha” or else he would become a
sylas
Jan 18, 2013 sylas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pet-training
Useful and helpful. Will keep this one for reference.
Johanna Bouchard
Feb 14, 2011 Johanna Bouchard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This book completely changed the way I think about dogs. I happened upon it quite a few years ago, and thought it might be an interesting read. Wow, what an eye opener! I have to admit, when I first started flipping through the pages, I thought, not that clicker training stuff!, but the more I read, the more sense it began to make. Now, after years of putting this book to use, I can't imagine training my dog any other way. The Complete Idiots Guide To Positive Dog Training is my go-to book for d ...more
Lisa
Mar 10, 2009 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really helped my husband and me when we took on two strays, a German Shepherd and Beagle. We found that "traditional" training (hitting and yelling) did not work, it tended to make things worse AND made us feel bad in the process. This book really opened our eyes to a new way to train. Ignoring and rewarding are the replacements for the hitting and yelling and it works 10 times faster, not to mention no one's feelings (or butts) get hurt.

This book will help you bond with your dog and h
Gayle
Oct 12, 2011 Gayle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book totally freaked me out when (6 years ago) I got Rufus. I bought the book not realizing that "positive dog training" was an actual method. I thought it was just a "positive" way to train your dog. All the clicker stuff just seemed weird to me.
Needless to say i devised my own training methods. Having said that, it was an interesting read and my dogs are both a little naughty in their own special ways!!
Alissa
Mar 10, 2011 Alissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like the layout of the book. How to teach your puppy to not jump, bite or bark should have been a the beginning and not at the end. Some good tips but some not helpful. At times I felt this book would have been better used thrown at the puppy than for it's actual advice. Had to put it down for a few months then come back to it.
Paul Smith
While there is useful advice here and it's certainly worth a look, I found the matronly tone tiresome and the underlying premise that unless you do everything Mother Dennison says you're a dog hating manaic who routinely sets about their pet with a claw hammer increasingly annoying as the lessons wore on.
Kelly
Mar 29, 2014 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canine
I'm not entirely happy with this book. It has way too many opinions of the pros of positive dog training and the cons of "traditional" dog training. I do agree with the author's views, but I got the idea in the first chapter, already!
Rachel Carr
Mar 21, 2014 Rachel Carr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll probably never truly be finished with this book as long as I have dogs. So much good advice, this is a great reference book.
Pam
Jul 24, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great positive training book. Knew most of the I do but needed a refresher 'course' to help with my newest rescue dog. Now....to stop saying "no!"
Mercurymouth
Jul 13, 2011 Mercurymouth is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Got a rescue...what I like to call my moon dog...she is some sort of eskimo mix-SHUGGIE!! She needs some training- I hope this book helps, got good reviews.
Mikelkpoet
Jan 09, 2009 Mikelkpoet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I dig this book, and plan to buy a copy of it.
I especially want to learn to clicker train
my dogs, Morisson, and Bundy, and this book
Leann
Leann rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2009
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Nicky
Nicky rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2010
Aivaras
Aivaras rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Kinga
Kinga rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Melissa Alexander
Melissa Alexander rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Katarina
Katarina rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Crystal
Crystal rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2013
Pamela Foland
Pamela Foland rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Marianne
Marianne rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2011
Shannon Cavers
Shannon Cavers rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Donnamron
Donnamron rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Abby
Abby rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2014
Mailee
Mailee rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2009
Deborah Rosenblatt
Deborah Rosenblatt rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2015
Marisa
Marisa rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2013
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog
  • Behavior Adjustment Training: BAT for Fear, Frustration, and Aggression in Dogs
  • Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog
  • Excel-Erated Learning: Explaining in Plain English How Dogs Learn and How Best to Teach Them
  • Feeling Outnumbered?: How to Manage and Enjoy Your Multi-Dog Household
  • On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • The Culture Clash
  • Feisty Fido: Help for the Leash Aggressive Dog
  • 30 Days to a Well-Mannered Dog: The Loved Dog Method
  • Control Unleashed:  Creating a Focused and Confident Dog
  • The Power of Positive Dog Training (Howell reference books)
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • Dogs: A Startling New Understanding of Canine Origin, Behavior & Evolution
  • Why Does My Dog Act That Way?: A Complete Guide to Your Dog's Personality
  • Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals
  • Help For Your Fearful Dog: A Step By Step Guide To Helping Your Dog Conquer His Fears
  • When Pigs Fly: Training Success with Impossible Dogs