Start by marking “The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up” as Want to Read:
The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up

The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  658 ratings  ·  53 reviews
C. S. Lewis's classic fantasy series, The Chronicles of Narnia, springs to life for a younger reader in three dimensional pop-up scenes, created by award-winning paper engineer Robert Sabuda.

Each of the seven books—The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The La
Published November 27th 2007 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chronicles of Narnia Pop-up

As a Christian I feel a bit guilty that I didn't cherish C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia series. I am simply not a fan of the fantasy genre. (Plus, the analogy flew right over my head. When I read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe I had absolutely no idea what it symbolized.) That being said, this is a much more enjoyable version and a great introduction to the series for the younger set (although children and adults of all ages like pop-ups.)
Christen Tulli
Category: Engineered Book

Publication date: 2007

Annotation is posted above via GoodReads

Themes/Topics: Imaginary world, bravery, adventure

Ways to Use Book:
* This would be a terrific prelude to interest students in reading The Chronicles of Narnia. There is a paragraph summary on each page along with a gorgeous pop-up picture that summarizes each of the seven books (and several smaller scenes that are represented as well). Librarians could read the paragraph summaries and ask students how the pop-
Malea Potter
Robert Sabuda makes such beautiful pop-up books! They are beautifully detailed and intricately designed. Children would be awed by these books, but you would probably want to supervise young children when they are looking at it so that they don't ruin the book. But, this book (and all of Subuda's other books) would be fascinating for kids to look at. I read this book with a religious view in mind and it was pretty insightful. C.S. Lewis has some amazing Christian insights, and has created them i ...more
Bernice
This short introduction to the Chronicles of Naria comes to life in this beautiful pop-up book. Each page gives a short description of one of the adventures to Naria and is complimented by the vibrant colors and realistic pictures of what happens. We learn of the history written over 2000 years in how Naria began and how it will fourish in the years to come.

A true modern and high fantasy, this story is filled with personified animals, outlandish characters and situations, as well as magical powe
Julianna
Cute book, lovely pop-ups and all, but not really age appropriate. Each page summarizes one of the books in the Chronicles of Narnia books, which are for a little older age group. Kids who would love the pop-ups would not understand or appreciate what the pop-ups mean, and the older kids, who have actually read the Narnia books, aren't as attached to pop-ups. Its not really for kids, and will only be appreciated by those who already know that the Chronicles of Narnia are about.
Haily Kokinakis
I haven't read all the the Chronicles of Narnia books but this little pop up book made me want to! I loved the artwork and the pop ups were amazing! I wouldn't use this in my class unless I was the only one holding it because I would be worried the pop ups would get ruined. It does a really good job of giving little things about the stories in one paragraph without giving a lot away. I liked this book a lot and I wouldn't mind having one for myself!
David Crumm
My fuller review of this book -- which includes a video review/demonstration of this very unusual pop-up book -- appears online at our Web hub: ReadTheSpirit.

The Narnia story with the video review is headlined Must Religious Leaders Be Human? Caspian's Friends Pop Up from Narnia!

Take a look. I'm a lifelong fan of Narnia and really all of the Inklings (Lewis and his writer friends, even the rarely read Charles Williams). And, I'm a lifelong fan of pop-up books ever since an aunt returned form li
Lierin Patterson
I absolutely loved the pop up pictures in this book! In each section there is a summary of the actual book, explaining what each book is about. But the pictures are magnificent and are great for imagination. I think it would be fun to show children this book to get them interested in the actual book that C.S. Lewis wrote.
Natasha Ence
I love the Narnia series and I thought that this book provided a good synopsis of the books. I also thought that the illustrates and such were so intricate and fantastic. Unfortunately, I do not think that this is a book that is good for a very young age due to how delicate it is. But personally, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Ariel
Apr 01, 2014 Ariel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: march
Since these books are my favorite books of all time, this review and rating may be bias. With that said I thought this was a book picture book to introduce the story to younger children. The pop up art was beautiful. It basically summed up every Narnia book in this pop up book. So it is perfect for little children. Once they get older then may like to read the actual books.
Josie
I love Robert Sabuda's work. This book is different from his others in that it is just a pop up plate for each book in the series with a summary, instead of containing the full text of the books (I covet his version of Alice in Wonderland & that one has the whole story). I was a little disappointed by that-my husband bought it for me as a gift thinking it was a full 'Alice' style version of The Lion the Witch & The Wardrobe. However, each of the foldouts in this book is large & intri ...more
Joy Gerbode
This is a fun for kids pop-up book, for a page from each book of the Narnia Chronicles series. The pop-ups are definitely NOT for young children. They are extremely detailed and intricate. Several pages also have a lift-the-flap, which additionally pops up more fun scenes. Super addition to a collection.
Robin
Apr 29, 2013 Robin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who are fascinated with paper technology
Well, on Thursday there was a snowstorm and I sat on my computer that evening and looked around on Amazon and was very tempted to purchase this book for myself. But I thought better of spending money on myself this close to Christmas and I did click "Buy."

The next day I visited a librarian friend who does a lot of reviewing and lecturing but no longer works in a library. She is kind enough to give me her leftover books for my library. Lo and behold, one of the boxes held this book! I was sooo e
Holleah
I love, love, love this pop up book! One, because of the awesome pop up picture which were very amazing! And two, because of the story itself. It tells of all the Chronicles of Narnia summing them up and telling what the are pretty much about. I can not wait to own this book!
Breanna
This book was a fun over view of the Narnia books, however, the emphasis was on the pop ups and not the stories. this book doesn't really tell much of any story but it would be good for teaching about book summaries.
Robin
Not a fan of this series but i do love this pop-up synopsis. The second spread has a flap to lift which opens the wardrobe-- absolutely magical paper engineering!
Mary Meldrum
The art work in this book is absolutely beautiful. Really no story line but a great introduction to the Narnia books.
Tim Vandenberg
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this pop-up book! Just. Gorgeous!!! The actual Cloth Sail on the Dawn Treader and the Glittering Snowscape send this over the top!

SUPER recommended for fans of the Narnia Series, and a super awesome introduction to Narnia for those who plan to enter.

Not recommended for readers who never have and never plan to read the series....but this scrumptious pop-up might help them change their mind! :)
Douglas Summers-Stay
I like that Sabuda is still innovating. The way the characters pour out of the last page is great. Aslan is technically amazing, but he looks cross eyed and falling asleep. I really liked how the wardrobe opens when a small side pop-up is opened. I think Prince Caspian looks like he's got some degenerative neurological disorder. The gold leaf on the dragon's figurehead really makes the Dawn Treader.
Nomski
Mar 16, 2008 Nomski rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nomski by: my dad
just re-read this after about 20 years and loved it all over again. i read them all in a span of 2 weeks or so, and enjoyed the ease and quickness in which i could gobble them up. it wasn't quite so quick back in the day. i definitely saw more christian overtones than i did when i was young, because that just wasn't in my mind at all then. still, fantastic and fun.
Kathy
I love Robert Sabuda's pop-up books. I'm always impressed by the intricacy and design of his books There is a page for each title in the series. I had the good fortune to see an exhibit on his works at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts a couple of years ago. It showed how these books are put together and the thought process that goes into each title.
Olivia Kirkham
Loved the pop ups in the book! They are amazing and worth the time looking at each page slowly and thoroughly. Fans of The Chronicles of Narnia would love having this book at a part of their collection. Children would love this book too.
Lindy
This is an absolutely beautiful pop-up book to go along with the Chronicles of Narnia series. Each page summarizes one of the Narnia stories. The summaries are ok, but the art work is amazing! My kids love to pull this one down and are completely captivated by all of the intricate details os Sabuda's art.
Heidi Larew
This book is beautifully designed for those who love to hold a book in their hands. The text is simple to understand and gives an overview of all the books. My favorite page is the glittery winter scene from The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe.
CD
Jul 30, 2011 CD added it
Read this as an adult: HATED IT. HATE the movie as well. Santa giving weapons to children? It was all a dream sequence? OMG I can't tell you how much I detest and abhor this book and the series. I really don't understand the hype.
Indyrm03
This is a fun way to understand and learn about The Chronicles of Narnia and the characters who bring Narnia to life. Although it is made for children, adults too will enjoy the visual suprises this book offers.
Yessenia
It's okay I basically only liked the lion the witch and the wardrobe and prince caspian they sounded more exiting with all 4 of the pevensies
Alison Pearce Stevens
Gorgeous, detailed pop-ups summarize each of the seven stories in the series. I only allow my kids to look at it with adult supervision. :)
Lionel
This is an excellent book! The pop ups are brilliant and I can't believe I own it! (I must give my girlfriend credit for finding this one)
Gabby
definitely hard to read if you like more intense, longer books. but they are still good. i liked them as a kid.
  • Encyclopedia Mythologica: Fairies and Magical Creatures Pop-Up
  • Companion to Narnia: A Complete Guide to the Magical World of C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia
  • The Magical Worlds of Narnia
  • Amazing Cows: Udder Absurdity for Children
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: The Man Who Created The Lord of the Rings
  • Sheet Music: The Chronicles of Narnia - Prince Caspian
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Silver Chair and The Last Battle
  • It's Time to Sleep, My Love
  • My Big Animal Book
  • Lindbergh: The Tale of a Flying Mouse
  • The Squire and the Scroll: A Tale of the Rewards of a Pure Heart
  • That's Not My Monster
  • The Fire Engine Book
  • Tales of the Restoration (Tales of the Kingdom, #3)
  • All Aboard the Dinotrain
  • Thor's Wedding Day: By Thialfi, the goat boy, as told to and translated by Bruce Coville
  • Hunter Brown and the Secret of the Shadow (Codebearers, #1)
With the ability to hold a crayon came the discovery that I was an artist," says pop-up book master Robert Sabuda. "I spent hours, days and weeks drawing, painting, cutting and gluing. My bedroom was a constant whirlwind of pencil shavings, drippy paint brushes and mounds of paper scraps. My mother's pleas of 'When are you going to CLEAN UP this mess?!' went unanswered." Robert Sabuda says that re ...more
More about Robert James Sabuda...
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: A Pop-Up Adaptation The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A Commemorative Pop-Up The 12 Days of Christmas: A Pop-Up Celebration Dinosaurs Winter's Tale