Start by marking “High Lord” as Want to Read:
High Lord

High Lord (The Black Magician Trilogy #3)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  24,829 ratings  ·  787 reviews
"You want to know the truth."

Sonea has learned much since she was but a penniless urchin possessing an awesome untapped ability. She has earned the grudging respect of her fellow novices and a place in the "Magicians' Guild. "But there is much she wishes she had never learned--what she witnessed, for example, in the underground chamber of the mysterious High Lord Akkarin ....more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published December 18th 2002)

Alice
Jul 16, 2007 Alice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who read the first two
This last book in the trilogy is the best by far. I really enjoyed it. I'd recommend reading the trilogy together and in order, which is probably something normal people would do anyway. I think while each one has a complete story arc, they form a much more complex and satisfying whole all together. Normally I advocate reading books haphazardly and maniaclly, but really, these could be just one big long novel if people were willing to carry around a 1000 page book.

The character development acro...more
Nikki
It wasn't that complicated a plot, or that original a premise -- to be honest, much of the setting reminded me of Raymond E. Feist's Krondor mixed with his magicians on Kelewan. Regardless, I enjoyed reading the books and read them very quickly: one a day, just about. They're light, easy reads, in my opinion. If you're looking for something long and epic, look somewhere else, but if you want something to take up a boring weekend or something, I think these books would do it nicely.

The action its...more
Alice Bridgwater
I am moderately satisfied with the series, though not with the first book. What I think about each of the three books: 1) "The Guild": almost half of the book is spent relating the tentatives of Sonea, supported by a friend and the Thieves, to conceal herself from the Guild magicians: I think it is a waste of time and energy, because every reader undestands since a few pages that she's going to be captured and instructed from the Guild (it is impossible not to undestand it: the story is related...more
Richard
5.5/10

This was no worse than the previous two books and did actually have some things going on it as apposed to the previous two novels in this series but I still didn't care for it overall. I resorted to skimming to finish the book as I wasn't invested in the characters at all and whilst there were a few things to be cleared up I didn't care how they would be resolved.

If the series had cut out large portions of the first book, the whole of the second book and just used some of the plot devices...more
Selene
Becky
I really enjoyed the beginning two books in this series. Great MC, lots of mystery regarding the hero, magic, fantastic world building, all the things I love. :D

I felt like the plot began to unravel by book three though. It was only that the reasoning behind many of the characters actions seemed...forced? I guess the more time I had to reason out Akkarin's explanation of the Ichani's motives the less plausible I found them.

And I hated Dannyl's POV. I basically skipped his entire sections after...more
Kathryn
I have to say I was severely disappointed by this book. After two brilliant but slightly flawed books, I was looking forward to a great conclusion. Canavan does wrap the story up, but in the most disappointing way.

I felt as if she'd completely forgotten everything that happened in the previous books, and there was utterly no consistency in the comparison between what we were told and what happened. The 'big bad guys' of this book were described as ridiculously powerful, and the first time one wa...more
Abigail
I was so very, very disapointed with this ending, it was geniunely abismal, and I loved the second book, I though it was down to earth and just about right. This, this piece of poorly plotted abomination ruined it, it's almost as if when she was writing it Canavan just thought; "Actually, do you know what? Screw all the plot and tension. I've decided to write the ending to a very bad piece fan fiction and then stick it on the end of the book!"

Not to mention that she kills of a character she forc...more
CalypK
3.5
Terminado de leer 09/02/2014 (tarde >_<)

Autora-troll

YO> I-I k-knowwww T___T

La experiencia de esta lectura se resume en dos cuestiones, la primera, lo que ya venía diciendo: tres libros para esta historia eran absolutamente innecesarios, los dos primeros bien podrían reducirse a una primera parte de un solo libro y lo que resta para esta última entrega.

La otra cuestión…

description

¡¿Qué carajos fue ese final?! ¿Es que a la autora le entró el demonio George R R Martin al cuerpo? ¿Escribía un trib...more
Keziah Wallis
I really wish I could give this book 4 and a 1/2 stars. It almost reached the point of OMG I love you 5 stars, but didn't quite make it. Regardless it was a really solid read and highly enjoyable. I love it when a series rips the carpet out from under you and laughs at your expectations and this book did it to me oh so well.

I also grew to adore the "evil" High Lord Akkarin while reading this book. The way his relationship with Sonea progressed throughout the book kept me curious and concerned f...more
Dhuaine
Yay for dragging the plot like molasses in retarded directions before introducing the Great Danger in the last 1/6 of the allotted space! We learn about the impending doom only in this book and it takes half of it to actually get to the point. The climax, admittedly, consists of more than three pages, but it's very... small? The scale of the event is striking; if you count the persons fighting, it would look live a tavern brawl.

There are some plot devices here that made me consider giving this...more
Elketw
Category: Books
Genre: Science Fiction & Fantasy
Author: Trudi Cavanan

Beware people … If you hate spoilers then you better out for good.

If you keep reading... Well don’t tell me I didn't told u before …

Buku ketiga ini yang paling bener-bener deh … kalau boleh saya bilang kelewataaan ya ini dia. The High Lord bener-bener kelewatan ...
Mulai dari ceritanya,serunya, bagusnya, sampe kecewanya .... Hikssss ...

Beda dengan buku pertama dan kedua, Cavanan bener-bener tancap gas di buku tiga ini....more
Maurinejt
High Lord was a revelation for me, for reasons entirely personal. Well, plot wise all the various strands came together in a way that was not entirely unexpected, but fantastic and satisfying all the same. However, what left me breathless was when we got to know Akkarin, the High Lord, much better than we have in previous books.

I loved a mage you see, long ago. I met him in a book. I followed him eagerly through six volumes over and over, and each time he died it shattered me. He was a study in...more
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

It has been a year since the challenge and Sonea has earned the respect of her fellow novices, but is still being held captive by the High Lord, but as she learns more about Akkarin, she has to figure out if he is telling the truth or manipulating her. Meanwhile Dannyl and Tayend are happy together and have a mission to stop a group of rogue magicians, and Cery is now a Thief and is tracking down some serial killers...more
Matthew
I really think Ms. Canavan has worked hard to improve her writing throughout these books. It is just a disappointment that this version of these books was allowed to be published. The descriptions and general writing are so good and refined, but the plot remains a major disappointment. She needed an editor or publisher willing to spend more time refining the plot so it did not overwhelm with foreshadowing.

As the novels continued, Ms. Canavan seemed to begin using "false foreshadowing" where the...more
Melanti
I really disliked the dramatic shift in Akkarin's character that took place in this book. It seemed inconsistent with the previous book. Granted, a lot of the shift in character stems from previously unknown information being revealed, but it still felt illogical. Maybe I would have accepted it more easily if there had been a little more foreshadowing and ambiguity in previous novels or if there was a bit more ambiguity in this one, but Sonea and Loreln especially seemed too willing to forgive a...more
Allison
This book is one of my all-time favorites, and that's in spite of (view spoiler)...more
Martin Belcher
This is definitely far and away the best book of the Black Magicians trilogy. Sonea reaches some maturity with her magical prowess and under the wing of the High Lord Akkarin she learns more about the threat the country of Sachaka poses to Kyralia and the Magicians Guild and also the secrets of forbidden black magic. I can't really say much else without giving too many spoilers. A brilliant read that ends in a climax and a startling discovery about Sonea! I can't wait to start reading the first...more
Jules
María Sargow
¿Qué puedo decir sobre este libro? Creo que es de los mejores finales de saga que he leído. No ha habido un momento de aburrimiento, todo el rato pasaban cosas, he estado en tensión de principio a fin.
Como todo final de saga en los que hay luchas, pasan cosas tristes aunque al final también te llevas una sorpresilla alegre.
Creo que este libro tiene un poco de todo: amor, emoción, lucha, tristeza... y todo perfectamente equilibrado, aunque la lucha destaca por encima de lo demás pero todo queda m...more
Crimson
Feb 07, 2014 Crimson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All people who likes Tolkien or Martin
Alison Beechner
I enjoyed these books up until the end which ruined the whole thing for me.
Selinaqch
The High Lord Akkarin is awesome. Enough said.
Majo
*Esta reseña contiene Spoilers*

Un final épico para una saga fantástica. El mejor libro de la saga, lejos. No podía dejar de leerlo, era demasiado apasionante. A diferencia de los dos primeros, éste no tuvo ni un solo momento de estancamiento, la historia era ágil y llena de misterio, la acción no se detiene nunca.

Nuevamente la historia está dividida en dos.
La primera parte nos adentra en el gran misterio que Akkarin ha mantenido durante toda la saga. Sonea de a poco va adentrándose en el oscur...more
Monna
MarsianMan
If you have not read the book then I will limit my comment to say I liked it a lot. The rest of you (or if you do not care about spoilers...and it will be completely spoiled) can read the following section with spoilers.

(view spoiler)...more
Kimberment
tyene
Rob Donovan
This is the final book in Trudi Canavan’s opening “Black Magician” trilogy. I enjoyed the first two in the series, although I can’t say I raved about them. I read book two back in 2007 which might give you an indication of how enthusiastic I was about reading the concluding volume.

Recently however, I figured I was doing the series a disservice. Despite having read the last book six years ago, I still remembered quite a lot about it, which is unusual as sometimes I struggle to remember a book I r...more
Debbie
Someone I knew had this series of books listed as one of her favourite fantasy trilogies. When I saw the first book come out for sale at bargain price in my local The Works shop, I couldn't resist but take a look.

The simplistic yet endearing nature of the first book made me purchase the second just before I got to the end, and the twists and turns in the second book made me purchase the third before when I was just over half way through.

I love the way these books are written. So simple and eleg...more
Fantasy Book Club...: * The HIgh Lord-Black Magician #3--First impressions, planning to read? 5 19 Oct 17, 2014 11:07AM
All About Fantasy: The High Lord 32 18 Jan 30, 2014 03:08AM
Goodreads Librari...: pages... 6 50 Dec 25, 2012 07:04AM
  • Wit'ch Star (The Banned and the Banished, #5)
  • Zawód: Wiedźma, Część 2 (Wolha Redna, #2)
  • Bridge of Souls (The Quickening, #3)
  • The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2)
  • Warrior (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade Trilogy, #2)
  • Stormlord's Exile (Watergivers #3)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • Dark Lady's Chosen (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #4)
  • Elfenwinter (Die Elfen, #2)
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
Trudi Canavan was born in Kew, Melbourne and grew up in Ferntree Gully, a suburb at the foothills of the Dandenongs.

In 1999 she won the Aurealis Award for Best Fantasy Short Story with “Whispers of the Mist Children”. In the same year she was granted a writers residency at Varuna Writers’ Centre in Katoomba, New South Wales.

In November 2001, The Magicians’ Guild was first published in Australia. T...more
More about Trudi Canavan...
The Magicians' Guild (The Black Magician Trilogy, #1) The Novice (The Black Magician Trilogy, #2) The Magician's Apprentice (The Black Magician Trilogy, #0.5) The Ambassador's Mission (Traitor Spy Trilogy, #1) Priestess of the White (Age of the Five, #1)

“So what were you [Sonea] and Dorrien discussing before?' Akkarin asked.
She turned to regard him. 'Discussing?'
'Outside the farmhouse when I was buying the food.'
'Oh. Then. Nothing.'
He smiled and nodded. 'Nothing. Amazing subject, that one. Produces such fascinating reactions in people.”
195 likes
“Akkarin: I watched the first woman I loved die. I dont think I can survive losing the second.
Sonea: I love you too.”