Secrets of a Perfect Night

Secrets of a Perfect Night

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,139 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Three spectacular stories all set on New Year′s Eve. First, Stephanie Laurens enthralls us with a New Year′s scandal, when a rake awakens in the bed of the temptress who seduced him years before. Then, Victoria Alexander enchants with her tale of a love promised, then foiled and then rekindled on another midnight. And Rachel Gibson delights with the reunion of two estrange...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of a Perfect Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of a Perfect Night

Julianna
Feb 18, 2011 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Friends-to-Lovers or Reunion Themed Romance
Reviewed for THC Reviews
Scandalous Lord Dere by Stephanie Laurens - Scandalous Lord Dere is a tender, sensuous friends-to-lovers, reunion story, two of my favorite themes in romance. Stephanie Laurens seems to have a talent for writing richly descriptive prose that isn't at all boring, but instead draws the reader into the story as through they are actually there watching everything unfold. For a novella, I thought that the characterizations and plot were extremely well-developed. Adrian is a r...more
Virginia
I was a bit surprised by the inclusion of a modern romance story at the end of the book, but other than that, the three novellas were good enough. Nothing spectacular, but what can you expect from a novella?
Elaine Mcdonald
For short stories these are really good. Rachel Gibson was my favorite, but the other two were also good.
Fedora
Short stories by Stephanie Laurens, Victoria Alexander, and Rachel Gibson; two historicals and a contemporary. They were OK (I think I've read the Laurens story before...) but not amazingly compelling. Each had some pluses to recommend them.

Ms. Laurens' story, Scandalous Lord Dere, has Lord Dere returning to his boyhood home. He and his tiger are waylaid by an unexpected snowstorm and are rescued by his childhood friend and one-time lover, Abby. I do enjoy a good friends-to-lovers story, and thi...more
Ellyce
I generally dislike novella versions or short stories that are focused solely on romance, mainly because they often have a rushed feel and the characters are generally flat.

I decided to give this anthology a try, and it proved to be no different from the rest. All three stories share a common theme of good friends who have romantic feelings for each other (and become lovers in the first two stories), only to have some sort of setback happen. Misunderstandings occur, they go their own ways, and...more
Anna D.
4 stars - Scandalous Lord Dere (Adrian & Abby)
I enjoyed this story. Even as a short, I was able to get a full understanding of the characters, more so of Adrian than of Abby. We really get a sense of Adrian – his past, his hang ups, what affected him, what kind of man he is, and his true intentions. He has many layers. Abby, on the other hand, doesn’t have as many layers but we understand that she’s a good woman – honorable, strong, talented, capable, and reluctant to love because she’s had...more
Carrie Olguin
This is an anthology, three romantic (short) stories from three different authors, two are historical and the last is a contemporary. Why the publisher chose to match the sub-genres, I don't understand?

The historical stories are about couples seperated and then reunited years later. They have to work out their pasts before they can begin their futures. Of course that means flashback chapters and pages of characters reflecting on the past.

I rarely read contemporary romances and the first few pag...more
Deborah Vespo
Three short and sweet novellas by Stephanie Laurens, Victoria Alexander, and Rachel. All equally talented and entertaining authors. Nice book to read for those that are looking for short and mindless brain candy.
Niandra Melo
só li o da rachel, mas a estoria é uma graça!
Daron
I only read the Stephanie Lauren's story in it's entirety (glanced through the second and skipped the third because contemporary romance isn't really my bag) and I thought it was dull as dirt. The writing was uninspired, the characters were flat, and the story blah. I picked up the collection because it was on sale, and it wasn't worth the cents I spent on it.

If you're looking for good romance novellas, try Courtney Milan's "The Governess Affair" or "Unlocked"
Meaghan
the stories were good, good, and above average. all three of these authors are great.
Dawn
This is the best anthology I have read. I don't usually like them because the stories are so short and I don't feel I get to know the characters. Not so with these. Each one was very emotionally satisfying.

The first two by Stephanie Laurens and Victoria Alexander are Regencies. The third is a contemporary by Rachel Gibson. I truly loved them all and each had a sigh-worthy HEA. I almost hate to see them end.
Laine
i liked every story from three different authors although it was brief and short. loved how all through the years the here and heroine still have feelings for each other. but in my opinion these stories would have been great if they are all stand alone novels.
Jessica B
It was a very enjoyable anthology! All of the stories were sweet and held my attention.

Scandalous Lord Dere - 3 stars

The Last Love Letter - 4 stars

Now and Forever - 4 stars

Amos
Aug 09, 2010 Amos marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
of Borders Marketplace 6/21/2010, Think I might have read this before?..
Books found 8-5-2010 by Susan’s Bed posted GoodReads 8-9-2010
Added to my “to Read piles”…
Dana
Wow. All three of these stories are HOT. My fave is the high school reunion story by Rachel Gibson. All I can say is--I wish someone would do that to me up against a tree..... ;)
Lauren
Scandalous Lord Dere by Stephanie Laurens - 4 stars
The Last Love Letter by Victoria Alexander - 3 stars
Now and Forver by Rachel Gibson - 3 stars
Neeuqdrazil
3 cheesy romance stories - 2 Regency, 1 modern. I normally don't enjoy modern stories, and this one reminded me why. It was fun, but felt forced.
Susan
SL~4.5 Grt Regncy, f/l indpndnt, fiesty, m/l smrt, lonely, dsillusnd; 1st AV~4.5 Vry wlldn lost lv reunitd; RG~3 Gd but not hr bst
marieno
Now and Forever by Rachel Gibson: Well, it wasn't necessary. Rachel Gibson is a way better author than that.
Laila
I didn't enjoy the first two novellas much, but I'd give Rachel Gibson's Now and Forever 4 stars; it was a charmer.
Pam
Three romance stories set on New Year's Eve. Different settings, different times in history. Easy reads.
Dancer
Victoria Alexander's "The Last Love Letter" takes an unusual twist and gives a full novel in a novella.
Bebe Four
Laurens: 3+ (Scandalous Lord Dere - historical)
Alexander: 3 (historical)
Gibson: 2+ (contemporary)
Janice
A Rose in Bloom Lord Dere / Abigail Woolley
Jamie
I've only read the Rachel Gibson story. It was sweet:) I only wish it was longer!
Mandy
I didn't like all 3 of the stories in this book -- only the one by Rachel Gibson.
Ramonalp
i only read the Rachel Gibson one. Not her best work.
 Shellbelle
Rating is for the Rachel Gibson novella Now and Forever.
Surly
  • Rough Around the Edges
  • Talk of the Ton
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • A Historical Christmas Present
  • The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown (Lady Whistledown, #1)
  • Three Times a Bride
  • The School for Heiresses (School for Heiresses, Anthology 1)
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, Anthology 2)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Laurens and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Laurens and...more
More about Stephanie Laurens...
Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1) A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2) Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3) A Secret Love (Cynster, #5) A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)