Start by marking “Human Punk” as Want to Read:
Human Punk

Human Punk

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  447 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
For fifteen-year-old Martin, growing up in Slough, the summer of 1977 means punk rock, reggae, disco, stolen cars, cut-throat gangs, and a job picking cherries for the gypsies. Life is sweet – until he’s beaten up and thrown in the Grand Union canal with his best friend, Smiles. Fast forward to 1988 and Joe is heading home on the Trans-Siberian Express after three years wo ...more
Published July 2004 by Guanda (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Human Punk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Human Punk

Ardi
Oct 05, 2014 Ardi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
Fuckin' brilliant. Took me so long to read, but that's because of personal reasons.

Anyway, reading this was great, I've always been an Anglophile, the music most especially and the culture. I could say that half of the slangs used I could properly understand, but the others are just way too Brit for me. Nonetheless, this is such a great read. Very interesting, actually.

I never had any proper introduction to punk. I have listened to The Clash's London Calling and other singles, but not a real p
Thevioletmaniac
Apr 15, 2012 Thevioletmaniac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
Немного о жанре. Эту книгу я начала читать сразу после прочтения классического «Человека, который смеется» Гюго и именно поэтому контраст жанров виден просто уууууух как. Если вы взяли в руки заветную черно-оранжевую книжку не ждите, что там будут пушистые щенки, принцессы и розовые пони, готовьтесь к ненормативной лексике и внезапному сюжету. Поэтому альтернатива для меня самый любимый жанр, черно-оранжевые книжки – самые любимые книжки, да и о чем говорить, если Паланик – мой самый любимый авт ...more
Aletha
Jun 25, 2009 Aletha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, the main character has a bit of an existentialist attitude.
Gerry LaFemina
Strong novel with a very likable protagonist--it captures the fragmentation of memory, the real life struggles of growing up, and the changing landscape of England from the 1970s through the early 2000s. In prose driven by long, musical sentences and a plot filled with complex characters struggling with their relationships with each other and with themselves, Human Punk is a worthwhile read for any body interested in punk or coming of age literature.
John Calhoun
Why Everything You Think You Know About Punk Is Completely Wrong:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Chriss
Jul 02, 2009 Chriss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my absolutely favorite books. I've owned it twice now, as the first copy I borrowed out and never saw it again! A great read, John King's talent shows through. The story spans several years, from a bunch of high school punkers and their eventual growing up and spreading out... and the unfortunately circumstances of their eventual reunion. Very vivid and realistic. Easy to transport yourself in the middle of the story. If I could hug stories, this one I would.
Jared Dubinski
Aug 19, 2009 Jared Dubinski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: britshit
one of those dialectic stream of conscience brit books. he's an aged punker scarred by a tragedy in his past. bit of philosophy but mostly the driving narrative of a non-halfassed sort of man, a respectable chap, as it were. reads like you've been shot out of a cannon. great fiction and good writing
Gloriagloom
Dec 09, 2011 Gloriagloom rated it it was amazing
Vi ricordate la Banda dei Brocchi di Johnatan Coe? questo è il fratello cattivo. A fine lettura viene voglia di tingersi i capelli di arancione, sniffare un po’ di colla e rubare la pensione alle vecchiette. Invece mi tocca restare a casa a impiastricciarmi di Lasonil contro i reumatismi. Da rubare.
Hanna
Ihan hyvä, mutta ei voi sanoa miksikään tajunnanräjäyttäväksi. Kirjailija haki kenties jotain hengästyttävää jopa kolmen sivun(!!) pituisilla järjettömän pitkillä lauseilla, jotka enemmän uuvuttivat kuin ihastuttivat.
Chris
Oct 25, 2008 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really fun read, probably pretty autobiographical, one of those books good for a long train or plane trip. I'd read some more by John King but he's tough to find in the US.
Niina
Aug 11, 2007 Niina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: culture
Heavy culture description of the age of punk and hand-touching-politics.
Heavy reading but worth of it.
Although not suitable for everyone.
Benedict Reid
Reads like an autobiography. Teenager in the late 70s in a rough part of England. It definitely did not make me wish I'd been there then.
Bhekinjinga
Jan 12, 2016 Bhekinjinga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this and really felt like a slough resident. King's one of my favourites - for his simplicity.
Godzilla
Mar 31, 2008 Godzilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
I enjoyed re-reading this, but it is long winded in places, not exactly a page turner.

Wilhelm
Oct 06, 2013 Wilhelm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a pretty good book. Entertaining. Must know something about punk, dub etc. to fully enjoy :)
Michelle
May 23, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book, great story. John King is a fantastic author :)
Ian Rak
Mar 02, 2016 Ian Rak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Top 5 of all time. Could be Top 3. Life, that's all.
David
Jun 23, 2015 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not overly impulsed but a solid coming of age storyline.
Alexey Beloschuk
Oct 10, 2013 Alexey Beloschuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Punks not dead! ;)
Chloé-Hillen Murray
Chloé-Hillen Murray is currently reading it
Aug 21, 2016
Rosie
Rosie rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Simon Hall
Simon Hall rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Ana F.
Ana F. rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Charlotte ♡
Charlotte ♡ marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Adam Jorgensen
Adam Jorgensen marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
  • Dog Eat Dog
  • The Further Adventures of The Joker
  • On The Road With The Ramones
  • Punk Rock: An Oral History
  • Sober Living for the Revolution: Hardcore Punk, Straight Edge, and Radical Politics
  • Let Fury Have the Hour: The Punk Rock Politics of Joe Strummer
  • Awaydays
  • The Story Of "Crass"
  • God Is a Bullet
English author, who has written several novels on the nation's lad culture at home and abroad. His debut work of fiction, The Football Factory, was made into a controversial film, directed by Nick Love and starring Danny Dyer. He now owns and operates London Books, an imprint company reissuing classic novels. He is listed as a supporter of No to EU – Yes to Democracy.
Librarian Note: There is more