Start by marking “Acorna's Quest” as Want to Read:
Acorna's Quest

Acorna's Quest (Acorna #2)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,872 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
"I must find my own kind!"

Found as an infant drifting in space, Acorna, the Unicorn Girl, has become a young woman. She still has her tiny, translucent horn, and her "funny" feet and hands. And, she still has her miraculous ability to make plants grow and heal human sickness.

But Acorna has strange dreams of a gentle folk who mind-speak by touching horns. With her "Uncle" C
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Acorna's Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Acorna's Quest

♥Belleza★✰
At the end of the last book, the children on the planet Kezdet were being liberated, enrolled in school and are learning actual trades. This next installment involves Acorna wanting to find her own kind, humanoids like her. There are practical as well as sentimental reasons for this. Her “Uncle” Calum believes he knows the general area of space where they will find her home planet. The two of them set off to find it, rather impulsively since it appears everyone else doesn’t want them to go and e ...more
Gerold Whittaker
Dec 06, 2011 Gerold Whittaker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
Book 2 of the Acorna series. In this book, Acorna is now all grown up and itching to find out where she came from. The mission to find the land of her birth is delayed -- purposely? -- so she and Calum take matters into their own hands and sneak off -- with the partially prepared ship -- to complete the quest. No sooner are they gone -- encountering problems of their own due to the partially prepared ship -- when the Linyaari -- her people -- arrive looking for her. Hot on the heels of the Linya ...more
Claire Smith
Joann Buchanan
Feb 18, 2011 Joann Buchanan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The whole time I wanted to know more about the little unicorn girl and where she came from. Was she the last of her Kind. None of those questions were answered. Still, the novel was fast paced and full of inrigue. The characters were developed well and she painted a godd picture. I do see why she left it open and didn't answer all the questions. So I'll go find the next one in the series...lol..

I would say yes if I was asked whether or not to purchase it.

Hope this helps.
Alysha DeShaé
Last book of 2012 for me... And I finished it right before my midnight kiss, too!

I'm rereading the Acorna series and still loving them, but I'm noticing things that I've not noticed before about the characters - namely that they aren't as well developed as I remember them to be. I guess it's a good thing they're already fleshed out in my mind! :-p The story is still great, though.
Kay Iscah
Jan 25, 2014 Kay Iscah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those rare sequels that's better than the original. Things still come a little too easily for Acorna, and some of the secondary characters still read like cardboard cut outs. But there was improvement, better pacing, Acorna gains some dimension, and Markel was great. There are some bits that drive me nuts about this series. Travel times seem more than a little inconsistent, and supposedly intelligent, adult characters occasionally start to giggle like teenagers at odd moments.

Over
Jerry
Dec 08, 2014 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An impressive follow-up to the first Acorna novel.
Kalli M.G.
I'm still indecisive on how to express my feelings on this book. Like, I like how most of this book was written, but there were many passages where I felt like I was reading a Physics/ some sort of complicated science college book.

I love Acorna. I love how she grew up and how you can tell there's this sort of attitude you can expect from a pre-teen. Although it feels like she was quick to shy away from that attitude. I don't know if it's because how people like her grow up quicker than humans? B
Kyla Hanson
5 Stars!

A little tricky to stay with the words in this book, but not a bit of it is misused and is properly written and well written very much. You get into this book by the characters and the names and you feel familiar with them instantly. The science and fiction in here is great, it's a very amazing world to experience reading and feel the same things the characters feel and what goes on between the characters especially. Some parts are taking very sharp turns when you would not ever expect,
Philena Garey
Jun 27, 2015 Philena Garey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Acorns is a brave and resourceful person. Despite being one-of-a-kind she bonds with her human "family".

I like Acorna's personality. She is so giving of herself and her abilities that she wears herself out. Her friends and family guard her from herself. When she finally meets her own people, who have risked their lives and finances to warn her adopted world of invasion and annihilation, Acorna is happy to meet them, but remains devoted to her human family.
Rosu Aquabutts
"I liked it."

Not very GOOD but compulsively readable, just like I remembered. This audiobook reader is FANTASTIC, also. This cast of thousands all have a slightly different voice. It's astounding. I really like the voices she gives the Linyaari characters, giving them their own dialect and accent. Really amazing.

Okay book, amazing audiobook. Three stars.
Suzanne
Once again, our magical orphan protagonist wins through all situations with her charm and superpowers and very little fuss. I kept hoping that she'd have to work for something for once, but sadly, not in this story. And as in the first book of the series, she is surrounded by a weirdly condescending and petty cast of characters, who are forever posturing and swaggering and overprotecting her. There are glimpses of depth—Acorna gets some good complex moments as she faces the possibility of meetin ...more
Deb Wilson
while I really enjoyed the story of the first book in this series, ij just didn't pull me in in the same way. We see Acorna go further than before, meeting her own people, fighting a hostile alien race and in the background see her previous cause of helping the children is still in effect. It's not a bad novel and I did enjoy it, it's just not as good as the first.
Tatiana
An easy reading with sufficient entertaining features to ensure one's time has not been wasted.

Acorna follows a logical next step of learning more about her race and her quest becomes sidetracked by... big surprise... people in need of her skills and everything manages to fall into place while all lose ends are tied into a strong knot befitting a soap opera's final episode.

It was an enjoyable, if not a bit predictable book, that leaves one with the odd satisfaction of fairytales set in space whe
Jane
Jul 26, 2015 Jane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book better than the first one in the series and looking forward to reading the next one.
Dave Nichols
Jan 27, 2016 Dave Nichols rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Slow, slow, slow. Never gains any momentum at all. Maybe Margaret Ball wrote too much here?
C.
Nov 20, 2009 C. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The plot was so full of unbelievable coincidental timing and "comic" misunderstanding that I felt like I was reading the script to a bad sitcom. When Acorna has an episode where she diverges from her character so severely that it was like she'd been possessed by the spirit of an angsty teen (perhaps Bella from the Twilight series) I nearly quit reading this novel.

It's a shame, because I liked the first one quite a bit; I hope the others in the series are better.
*Redacted*
I just found out that McCaffrey passed away last week. I loved the Pern books as a child so I thought I'd do some reminiscent reading. Suspending disbelief was hard at times, but the plot moves fast enough that it makes a pleasant read most of the time. Just don't think you're going to learn anything with this series.
Lorrie Gipson
this one was a little more choppy than the first Acorna book, but it was still good.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Now we know why Acorna was separated from her parents. Khlevii is the race trying wipe everyone out. These insects remind me of the same ones attacking the ones from the Rowan series. I liked this story. I still have many questions and I want to meet Acorna's people.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
May 15, 2010 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of sci-fi/fantasy
Shelves: read-in-2010, fantasy
A great continuation of Acorna, I see that these must be read in order. It appears that a larger work has been broken into smaller novels. I love Anne McCaffrey's people, this book centered on political maneuverings and how the innocent are affected.
Jackie Krasuski
Jul 24, 2011 Jackie Krasuski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The heroic story of Acorna touched my heart. Her saga is a fantastic sci-fi journey in another galaxy, but the writing of the places and times makes them seem so real and even comfortable. Fantastic read for any sci-fi fan.
Karrine
Nov 10, 2010 Karrine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I enjoyed the first book more. Although the story came together towards the end there were a few points where I wasn't engaged and was tempted to jump ahead. But I look forward to getting through the rest of series.
Sharon
I was somewhat disappointed when McCaffrey came out with several books in this series. This first installment contained some interesting elements, but the whole thing became extremely drawn out.
Theresa
Jan 24, 2015 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Acorna's Quest (Acorna #2)
McCaffrey, Anne
a lost alien orphan wants to learn where she came from, can she find her people. how can acorna save her people
zjakkelien
Very much in the style of its predecessor, Acorna, this book is fast-paced and uncomplicated, ending in a Disney-like all-is-well fashion. Very enjoyable.
Katilyn
Jan 14, 2013 Katilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this whole series when I was in junior high and loved them. The end of the series got a little boring for me though for some reason I can't remember.
Bradley
Apr 07, 2007 Bradley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci Fi Fans
I enjoy books eariler in a series as a general rule. This one was pretty good. I will read it again some time. =)
Tali
Apr 14, 2007 Tali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi Fans
As excellent as the first and filled with an excellent plotline that constantly keeps the reader's attention.
Bronwyn
Jan 23, 2008 Bronwyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I stopped reading the series after this book. It is one of those series you think will never end.
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover please 1 19 Oct 14, 2015 03:13PM
  • The Ship Avenged
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The People of Pern
  • Lord Of Thunder (Beast Master / Hosteen Storm, #2)
  • Chaos Mode (Mode, #3)
  • Command Performance
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Five-Twelfths of Heaven (Roads of Heaven, #1)
  • Owlsight (Owl Mage Trilogy, #2)
  • Beginning Operations: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #1-3)
  • The Shadow Matrix (Darkover, #25)
  • Animal Crackers: A Gene Luen Yang Collection
  • Omega Games (Stardoc, #8)
  • The House of the Kzinti (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • Warlord (Raj Whitehall, #1-2)
  • The Books of Great Alta  (Great Alta, #1-2)
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Acorna (10 books)
  • Acorna: The Unicorn Girl (Acorna #1)
  • Acorna's People (Acorna #3)
  • Acorna's World (Acorna #4)
  • Acorna's Search (Acorna #5)
  • Acorna's Rebels (Acorna #6)
  • Acorna's Triumph (Acorna #7)
  • First Warning: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #8)
  • Second Wave: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #9)
  • Third Watch: Acorna's Children (Acorna, #10)

“He is crooked enough to hide behind a spiral staircase.” 21 likes
“(Meli, are you sure these "humans" are on our side?)

(No ... but at least they are not Khieevi.)

(That is beginning to seem less and less of a recommendation. Like us in form, perhaps, but hardly in ethics.)

(That may not be entirely a bad thing. If they meet their friends with weapons in both hands, what do you suppose they do to their enemies?)”
7 likes