Start by marking “Zoo In The Sky: A Book of Animal Constellations” as Want to Read:
Zoo In The Sky: A Book of Animal Constellations

Zoo In The Sky: A Book of Animal Constellations

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Large, vibrant paintings and shimmering foil stars make a brilliant connection between age-old stargazing tales and the constellations. Full-color illustrations with silver foil highlights.
Published August 1st 1998 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Zoo In The Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zoo In The Sky

Concise Book of Astronomy by Jacqueline MittonThe Magic School Bus Out Of This World by Joanna ColePluto and Charon by Alan SternThe Magic School Bus Blasts Into Space by Kristin EarhartSpace Explorers by Eva Moore
Space books for kids
17th out of 22 books — 2 voters
The Star by Michele BrezaThe Dancing Salmon by Lone Alaskan GypsyWhy the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky by Elphinstone DayrellLittle Cloud by Eric CarleHarold's Trip to the Sky by Crockett Johnson
Picture Books About the Sky
79th out of 106 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Johna Brown
Zoo in the Sky is a great book for teaching a lesson about starts and constellations. The book has beautiful illustrations that are engaging, and the content is informational and interesting. In the story there are animal illustrations in the sky and I like that. Most of the time when you are looking in the sky, you are able to see pictures or imagine that you see different things. In different parts of the story, I would have my students to close their eyes and visualize what is happening in th ...more
Brigid Keely
"Zoo In The Sky: A Book of Animal Constellations," by Jacqueline Mitton, is a themed book of constellations. It covers a handful of animal-shaped constellations in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres. The illustrations are charming, and accented with silver-foil stars, and the text is short and informative and easily readable. There are two pages in the back with a bit more science-heavy information that is above the level of a 4 year old (my audience), but simple enough that I could expl ...more
Emer Martin
This book is clearly a showcase for Christina Balit's wonderful illustrations. As for learning about astronomy, it doesn't really help. But I love it anyway for its fanciful nature. Any chance to get my head in the stars.
Autumn Yoon
Zoo in the Sky is a GREAT book for teaching a lesson about starts and constellations. The book has beautiful illustrations that are engaging, and the content is informational and interesting. This book would be great for a science class, or even just to read to students for fun. As a picture book, this book would be appropriate for students in Kindergarten-1st, but for independent reading, this would be great for 3rd-5th grade.
I mostly liked this book. But I wished that it talked about some of the other constellations. It tells about "the Twins" (Gemini) that Taurus is after, but it doesn't talk about Orion which tends to be more recognized in the night sky. Perhaps it is because this book mostly focuses on the animals. But I still thought some of the other major constellations (like Hercules or Pegasus) would have pages as well.
Zoo in the Sky is an interesting read, and it is one that my son and I enjoy together, reading parts at a time. It is a bit too much for a small child, but it is fine for enjoying together. My teenager also like this book, although I admit, part of the attraction, for me is the liberal use of color.
If you want to inspire a love of constellations and their stories, it's a good start.
Tsuyu Ko
I like to pick a book by looking at its cover first. This book's cover attracts my attention because of the colors that they used. The book is great for young students to read and easy to understand as well. Although it is an informational book, it is written in story form. That makes it easier for students to understand and willing to learn more from the book.
Gorgeous illustrations! This book is supposedly for children ages 4 - 8 but I think the text might be over the heads of kids that young, although they would enjoy the pics. The text is a little dry, although it's written by a professor of Astrophysics so, she obviously knows her stuff but... Anyway, it's worth checking this book out for the pictures alone!
Aug 13, 2012 Vivian added it
We used this book with the 5-8 year old crowd to talk about constellations. We did not take the time to read the entire book. We just flipped through the pages and chatted about the contents. We chose this one because the stars on each page were foil, which reflected the light.
I love the illustrations and extras in this book: the colorful art with shiny silver stars, the star map for both the northern and southern hemisphere, the facts and stats at the conclusion. The text is a short mix of story, description, and location info.
Jennifer Oaks
I think that this is an excellent books to use to teach the constellations. It shows pictures of the animal in the constellation and it also is a story about how the animals interact with each other. The illustrations are beautiful and full of color.
This book tells memorable, brief stories for many of the common animal constellations. The pictures of the constellations include reflective material for the stars, which vary in size depending on how bright they appear in the sky.
Great illustrations with foil stars inform readers of all the neat animal constellations in the night sky.
Gina Starling
Grades 1-5 This is a great book to use for a lesson on the consellations. It makes it fun to learn.
Explains the different animal constellations and includes illustrations with the stars standing out.
Animal constellations with illustrations for the budding astrologer or astronomer.
Laura Madsen
Gorgeous Gustav-Klimt-esque illustrations of the animal constellations.
Beautiful and magical. I wish I had this book as a child.
Darlene marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Melissa Whitney
Melissa Whitney marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Terri Christenson
Terri Christenson marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Chenoa added it
Oct 20, 2015
Owly added it
Sep 28, 2015
Brent marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015