Start by marking “Zoo In The Sky: A Book of Animal Constellations” as Want to Read:
Zoo In The Sky: A Book of Animal Constellations

Zoo In The Sky: A Book of Animal Constellations

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  114 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Large, vibrant paintings and shimmering foil stars make a brilliant connection between age-old stargazing tales and the constellations. Full-color illustrations with silver foil highlights.
Published August 1st 1998 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Zoo In The Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zoo In The Sky

Concise Book of Astronomy by Simon MittonThe Magic School Bus Out Of This World by Joanna ColePluto and Charon by Alan SternThe Magic School Bus Blasts Into Space by Kristin EarhartSpace Explorers by Eva Moore
Space books for kids
17th out of 22 books — 2 voters
The Dancing Salmon by Lone Alaskan GypsyThe Star by Michele BrezaWhy the Sun and the Moon Live in the Sky by Elphinstone DayrellOwl Moon by Jane YolenLittle Cloud by Eric Carle
Picture Books About the Sky
80th out of 107 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Johna Brown
Nov 26, 2013 Johna Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, imagery
Zoo in the Sky is a great book for teaching a lesson about starts and constellations. The book has beautiful illustrations that are engaging, and the content is informational and interesting. In the story there are animal illustrations in the sky and I like that. Most of the time when you are looking in the sky, you are able to see pictures or imagine that you see different things. In different parts of the story, I would have my students to close their eyes and visualize what is happening in th ...more
Brigid Keely
Jul 23, 2013 Brigid Keely rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, non-fiction, science
"Zoo In The Sky: A Book of Animal Constellations," by Jacqueline Mitton, is a themed book of constellations. It covers a handful of animal-shaped constellations in both the Northern and Southern hemispheres. The illustrations are charming, and accented with silver-foil stars, and the text is short and informative and easily readable. There are two pages in the back with a bit more science-heavy information that is above the level of a 4 year old (my audience), but simple enough that I could expl ...more
Emer Martin
May 21, 2014 Emer Martin rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This book is clearly a showcase for Christina Balit's wonderful illustrations. As for learning about astronomy, it doesn't really help. But I love it anyway for its fanciful nature. Any chance to get my head in the stars.
Shawn
May 04, 2016 Shawn rated it really liked it
An excellent children's book about the different constellations named for various animals.
Autumn Yoon
Zoo in the Sky is a GREAT book for teaching a lesson about starts and constellations. The book has beautiful illustrations that are engaging, and the content is informational and interesting. This book would be great for a science class, or even just to read to students for fun. As a picture book, this book would be appropriate for students in Kindergarten-1st, but for independent reading, this would be great for 3rd-5th grade.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
I mostly liked this book. But I wished that it talked about some of the other constellations. It tells about "the Twins" (Gemini) that Taurus is after, but it doesn't talk about Orion which tends to be more recognized in the night sky. Perhaps it is because this book mostly focuses on the animals. But I still thought some of the other major constellations (like Hercules or Pegasus) would have pages as well.
Slee
Jan 13, 2013 Slee rated it really liked it
Zoo in the Sky is an interesting read, and it is one that my son and I enjoy together, reading parts at a time. It is a bit too much for a small child, but it is fine for enjoying together. My teenager also like this book, although I admit, part of the attraction, for me is the liberal use of color.
If you want to inspire a love of constellations and their stories, it's a good start.
Tsuyu Ko
Apr 01, 2012 Tsuyu Ko rated it it was amazing
I like to pick a book by looking at its cover first. This book's cover attracts my attention because of the colors that they used. The book is great for young students to read and easy to understand as well. Although it is an informational book, it is written in story form. That makes it easier for students to understand and willing to learn more from the book.
Marti
Oct 04, 2012 Marti rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-reader
Gorgeous illustrations! This book is supposedly for children ages 4 - 8 but I think the text might be over the heads of kids that young, although they would enjoy the pics. The text is a little dry, although it's written by a professor of Astrophysics so, she obviously knows her stuff but... Anyway, it's worth checking this book out for the pictures alone!
Vivian
Aug 13, 2012 Vivian added it
We used this book with the 5-8 year old crowd to talk about constellations. We did not take the time to read the entire book. We just flipped through the pages and chatted about the contents. We chose this one because the stars on each page were foil, which reflected the light.
Kim
Jul 16, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
I love the illustrations and extras in this book: the colorful art with shiny silver stars, the star map for both the northern and southern hemisphere, the facts and stats at the conclusion. The text is a short mix of story, description, and location info.
Jennifer Oaks
Dec 16, 2011 Jennifer Oaks rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I think that this is an excellent books to use to teach the constellations. It shows pictures of the animal in the constellation and it also is a story about how the animals interact with each other. The illustrations are beautiful and full of color.
Bean
Jan 18, 2012 Bean rated it it was amazing
This book tells memorable, brief stories for many of the common animal constellations. The pictures of the constellations include reflective material for the stars, which vary in size depending on how bright they appear in the sky.
Jen
Jul 29, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Great illustrations with foil stars inform readers of all the neat animal constellations in the night sky.
Gina Starling
Feb 10, 2012 Gina Starling rated it it was amazing
Grades 1-5 This is a great book to use for a lesson on the consellations. It makes it fun to learn.
Megan
Explains the different animal constellations and includes illustrations with the stars standing out.
Gavin
Jun 15, 2008 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Animal constellations with illustrations for the budding astrologer or astronomer.
Laura Madsen
Jul 02, 2012 Laura Madsen rated it really liked it
Gorgeous Gustav-Klimt-esque illustrations of the animal constellations.
Clare
Dec 12, 2015 Clare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful and magical. I wish I had this book as a child.
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Okasam
Okasam is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2016
Sarah Stewart
Sarah Stewart rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Nitha
Nitha marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Kim
Kim added it
Aug 08, 2016
Becky Heath
Becky Heath marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2016
Rosie &
Rosie & rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2016
Mila
Mila marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
  • The Biggest, Best Snowman
  • The Monster Who Ate My Peas
  • Over the Rainbow
  • Peter and the Wolf
  • Child's Introduction to the Night Sky: The Story of the Stars, Planets, and Constellations--and How You Can Find Them in the Sky
  • Buffalo Bill
  • Stand Straight, Ella Kate
  • Leonardo Da Vinci: Giants of Science #1
  • The Little Duke
  • How Do You Lift a Lion?
  • Corgiville Fair