Start by marking “Monday Morning Mentoring: Ten Lessons to Guide You Up the Ladder” as Want to Read:
Monday Morning Mentoring: Ten Lessons to Guide You Up the Ladder

Monday Morning Mentoring: Ten Lessons to Guide You Up the Ladder

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  209 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Everyone who wants a fulfilling career needs a mentor -- someone who has seen it all before, someone who can share hard-won experiences and teach valuable lessons.

In this expanded and enhanced version of his best-selling book, Monday Morning Leadership, David Cottrell packs all of the wisdom of his wide-ranging business experience into this inspirational story. Cottrell in
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Monday Morning Mentoring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monday Morning Mentoring

Stacey
Feb 27, 2012 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-work
This book has some great insights into the business world. I couldn't rate it anything higher than 3 stars because while I find these kinds of books useful, I don't "enjoy" reading them like I do the books I read for pleasure. I would recommend this to people who want to succeed in the business world.
Connor
Sep 28, 2014 Connor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent lessons, but written very poorly and hastily. This book accomplishes its purpose, however, in getting people who (I assume) do not read very much to read this book and, potentially, read other books.
Abishek
Feb 20, 2017 Abishek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an easy read. Though not the most well written, this book had some surprisingly insightful chapters that I could relate to. I liked the conversational style of the book, as it made it more engaging.
Diana Nagy
Jun 21, 2016 Diana Nagy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I will say this...David Cottrell knows his stuff. Every single one of his books I have read, I have really enjoyed. All of his stories contain the lessons within, which are easily grasped, and there is even more advice afterwards. I have always loved his books because of their shorter length, space between the sentences and just the way they are organized. The subject matters don't hurt either. This is a book well worth reading if you are looking to mentor someone in your life, which we should a ...more
Jason Walker
I read this book in anticipation for a class I am currently finishing in Management and Public Administration based on a handout from the instructor. Turned out we didn't use the text in the class. I liked this book as much as I can like any of the story centered business books that are out there. In previous reviews of those types of materials I discredited the author and the narrative for being disengenuine and overtly paternalistic. I still hold that to be true, that the majority of those mat ...more
Rob
Apr 30, 2012 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: management
There are some valuable insights this book (some new to me, some I already knew but bore repeating). My three biggest take-aways:
• On alignment – “keep the main thing the main thing.” (e.g. not getting bogged down in “management-land” or email for their false sense of accomplishment)
• On transitioning from worker to manager – ground rules change; you have more responsibility; and paradoxically have less freedom (e.g. can’t be everybody’s friend).
• On de-motivated workers - “people quit people be
Noora
Oct 11, 2013 Noora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My father got me thing book last year for two reasons:
1- I had a leadership program
2- And because he thought every person my age should read it (15-25)

This was my first "mangement-kind-of-book" and I enjoyed it!
Very easy to read. Its written in a conversational style, which is very straightforward, and at the same time exciting.

If you enjoy character development and all that, then this book is not for you.
There is no development in characters. The people in the book are dull and static.

** HIGHL
Rod Hinton
Dec 20, 2009 Rod Hinton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, this was a practical read. I felt like it gave me insight into how I might deal with various professional challenges. For instance, it prompted me to have a conversation with our new President on how he and I might work more effectively as a team. The book and/or the what I learned was not profound but reassuring.
A record of ten sessions between an faltering manager and his mentor. The book tells how this man was tuned in to his own problems as a manager and turned around to become the great Leader of good employees he could be. It is written in a relevant way to the benefit of others. Must read for those in positions of leadership at work.
Julie
Mar 02, 2016 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quick read. Entertaining but the content is weak. I would not recommend this book to anyone unless you wanted something very mindless.

My husband recommended this to me because he found it lightly entertaining and knew I was desperately trying to find a book that would be interesting enough to finish!
Fobixx
Aug 04, 2013 Fobixx rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you ever worked in customer service and managed people some scenarios might sound familiar... A good book to read and re-read as a reminder.
Did I enjoy it - nope lol I read them for business not for pleasure ;)
Salwa
Nov 24, 2012 Salwa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I'm still a student and didn't start my life career yet .. But this book has told me a lot about ho to make decisions and how to be successful in any thing u do. Amazing book and I see it as a story full of wisdom.
Pamela Davis
Aug 03, 2013 Pamela Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was assigned to me as part of my reading for Leadership and Organizational Behavior in my MBA program. Excellent book, quick and easy read with the lessons summarized at the end of each chapter. Lessons are easily applied personally and professionally.
Brent
Apr 26, 2011 Brent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: research
This book offers a concise overview of ten career lessons. Written as narrative dialogues, the lessons are insightful and accessible.
Sarah Evan
An interesting and quick read on providing support to an individual who needs some focus to make his/her situation better.
Mary Louise
Aug 09, 2008 Mary Louise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just started it. About leadership.
Sebastian
Mar 29, 2012 Sebastian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice little book. Fantastic and useful information on a variety of everyday work place subjects.
Dennis
Dec 10, 2012 Dennis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I need to go back and read this again. I remember the jist of it, but probably could use a refresher
Charlene
Work assignment!
James Pritchert
I received this book form my great friends at The Training Connection.I enjoyed reading throught the ten lessons. THis was during my period as a mentoring faciliator.
Mahmood Melebari
It will change your work style
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2010
Amanda Messer
Amanda Messer rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2014
Cici
Cici rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Ilya Skuratovsky
Ilya Skuratovsky rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Nathan Mabry
Nathan Mabry rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2017
Susan J. Wallen
Susan J. Wallen rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Bryce
Bryce rated it really liked it
May 24, 2011
Faith Tan
Faith Tan rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
  • Mentor Like Jesus
  • Get in the Game: 8 Elements of Perseverance That Make the Difference
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • Today We Are Rich: Harnessing The Power Of Total Confidence
  • The Secret Language of Leadership: How Leaders Inspire Action Through Narrative
  • The 21 Most Powerful Minutes in a Leader's Day: Revitalize Your Spirit and Empower Your Leadership
  • Dig Your Well before You're Thirsty: The only networking book you'll ever need
  • No Excuses: The True Story of a Congenital Amputee Who Became a Champion in Wrestling And in Life
  • Fully Alive: Lighten Up and Live Again-A Journey that Will Change Your LIfe
  • What It Takes to Be Number One: Vince Lombardi on Leadership
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • Training Camp: What the Best Do Better Than Everyone Else
  • Showing Up for Life: Thoughts on the Gifts of a Lifetime
  • Dealing with People You Can't Stand: How to Bring Out the Best in People at Their Worst
  • Endless Referrals: Network Your Everyday Contacts into Sales
  • Three Feet from Gold: Turn Your Obstacles Into Opportunities!
  • The Empowered Manager: Positive Political Skills at Work
  • Live the Dream: No More Excuses

“If expecting something in return is your reason for giving, you are really not giving- you're swapping. If you receive something in return for your gift, what you receive is a bonus - not a repayment of a debt.” 18 likes
“remember, when you write things down, you commit to doing them. If you simply tell me what you want to do, there is really no commitment to getting it done.” 0 likes